Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Some research into turkey vultures reveals that, rather than a population boom, you might at best see mass death of turkey vulture youth.

Incubation period + Nesting period = 3-4 months. If we consider that the fall of humanity and rise of zombies takes place fairly comfortably within this time frame, yes there would definitely be a burst of turkey vulture feeding and nesting. However, consider the following (emphasis added):

quote:

The turkey vulture feeds primarily on a wide variety of carrion, from small mammals to large grazers, preferring those recently dead, and avoiding carcasses that have reached the point of putrefaction.

It seems turkey vultures don't or can't actually eat rotting corpses.

As for putrefaction, it seems as if there is only a 2-3 week maximum window for carrion to be edible.

quote:

10–20 days: Black putrefaction occurs, which is when noxious odors are released from the body and the parts of the body undergo a black discoloration.

Therefore the food sources simply aren't sustainable for any significant, longterm population increase. Rather, if there was an uptick in egg laying due to the zombie apocalypse among general turkey vulture population, it is likely that any explosion in population wouldn't even make it out of the nest.

It seems like mass human death is more the equivalent of a vulture ordering in $1,000 worth of KFC all at once with most of it inevitably going bad, rather than sustainably raising chickens for eggs.

Whether this leads long-term to vulture population collapse, or even has any significant long-term impact in any way whatsoever, requires further research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So what you're saying is that vultures need to learn how to make jerky huts or use the existing ones found in the wild?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jesus Christ, this loving thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish we could go back to arguing about a dumpster.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Jesus Christ, this loving thread.

Did you actually mean to click on the vote 1 button but accidentally hit the "post something that adds nothing to the thread" button?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bro did you not just see the dissertation on vultures and how they should react to zombies?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why don't the turkey vultures just move?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish we could go back to arguing about a dumpster.

The kind of dumpster Glen crawled under is known in the industry as a "six yard dumpster", that being a reference to its cubic storage capacity. Basic conversion shows 6 cubed yards is ~4.5 cubed metres. If we estimate that the average turkey vulture takes up a space of 2'x1.5'x2', the per-turkey volume is about .1699 cubic metres. Therefore, Glen's six yard dumpster could hold approximately 28 turkey vultures.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also, last episode definitely confirmed Negan was a rapist. "You became his wife to save your husband's life", or whatever the line was. Not that I'm trying to reopen that can of worms dumpster of turkey vultures, but yea. Rapist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well don't I feel foolish

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

moist turtleneck posted:

So what you're saying is that vultures need to learn how to make jerky huts or use the existing ones found in the wild?

This would require a level of adaptation we simply haven't seen in wild animals up until this point. Sorry to burst your bubble, but vultures curing meat, much less using jerky huts, simply isn't feasible.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like rats would make a good food source as long as they cook off the fleas

I remember in the Carl Gets Pudding episode there was a zombie that had mealworms coming out of its head. What are we to believe, that this is some kind of magic zombie that only dies when attacked by a human?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was thinking about this, there would've been lots of corpses right after the zombie apocalypse. Not just human corpses, most livestock would've died too. So presumably the sudden massive increase in food would've led to a population boom in carrion eaters, like vultures. But after that initial corpse boom, the creation of corpses would've slowed down a lot. Maybe it would've been offset by the crash parts of population booms in other animals, like deer or whatever. But still, I think the vulture population boom would've hit food scarcity really quick.

I believe that in a zombie apocalypse, the selection pressure on vultures would lead to behavioral changes. Specifically, I believe that vultures would very quickly adapt to be less picky about whether or not a corpse was moving

The Walking Dead is bullshit because it doesn't have packs of zombie-hunting vultures.
You do understand that animals actually have to breed and raise their young in order for the population to "boom", right? Basically it sounds like you believe that vultures just spring fully-formed from eggs like, a day or two after they're laid. I'm sorry but despite the huge initial glut of dead livestock and pets and people, it's going to rot very very fast and then there's no more food so the vultures won't start breeding like crazy next year. Rats on the other hand.. Pigeons? Locusts? There really should be a "zombie herd" of rats or locusts that just rolls through Alexandria sometime, because that's way more likely to happen when there's no pest extermination in large population hubs, no pesticides out in those abandoned farm fields, etc..

Also thinking that carrion-eaters will suddenly stop relying on carrion and "adapt to be less picky about whether or not a corpse is moving" is also stupid as gently caress. Both predators and scavengers put a lot of work into remaining as safe as possible because, when you're an animal, even a small injury comes at a very high cost not even thinking about infection etc.. If you're too injured to seek out food then you don't breed, you starve. Birds especially are not going to just stop avoiding moving animals which are larger than themselves.

You should probably read up on how population explosions affect and are affected by sudden feast/famine, removal of local predators., etc. It doesn't happen overnight, and it vacillates wildly between negative extremes for quite a long time before - hopefully things stabilize. Stuff like wolves aren't going to just show up overnight, but the deer that aren't being hunted or run over by cars or killed by wolves and other predators WILL end up over competing for their own local foodsources and end up having large die-offs due to starvation during winter, major influxes of both old and new diseases, parasite problems like you wouldn't believe leading to tons of mange (and a mangy animal doesn't survive when it gets cold), etc. The deer population in my state has been gross and sickly for ages because of the lack of natural predation or coherent population managment - you couldn't pay me to eat a deer after having seen a few up-close in the last decade.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait for the 17 year cicada brood to hit the walking dead and cause there to be five more carls

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

moist turtleneck posted:

Can't wait for the 17 year cicada brood to hit the walking dead and cause there to be five more carls
I would love to see some huge locust plague episode - everybody's running around screaming and trying to protect the foodstuffs, and Eugene's just standing there unmoving, chomping on bugs and saying, "hey come on guys - it's protein! I haven't eaten like this since I was with the Saviors - these are just flying mini-lobsters!"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I would love to see some huge locust plague episode - everybody's running around screaming and trying to protect the foodstuffs, and Eugene's just standing there unmoving, chomping on bugs and saying, "hey come on guys - it's protein! I haven't eaten like this since I was with the Saviors - these are just flying mini-lobsters!"

Truly we finally have a Goon presence in television.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't know that Vultures were so particular about the age of the carrion, but I will point out that decomposition seems to take longer and work differently in the Walking Dead universe.

And if there isn't enough traditional carrion lying around, and the vultures are starving, then in the unique situation of walking corpses, I absolutely believe that some would be driven to attack zombies. And since zombies are so slow and bad at moving, eating zombies would be a very beneficial behavioral adaptation.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If I was a zombie I'd just go out to sea and eat crustaceans and pearls

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

If I was a zombie I'd just go out to sea and eat crustaceans and pearls

having a bedazzled child zombie would be pretty awesome

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

coyo7e posted:

You do understand that animals actually have to breed and raise their young in order for the population to "boom", right? Basically it sounds like you believe that vultures just spring fully-formed from eggs like, a day or two after they're laid. I'm sorry but despite the huge initial glut of dead livestock and pets and people, it's going to rot very very fast and then there's no more food so the vultures won't start breeding like crazy next year. Rats on the other hand.. Pigeons? Locusts? There really should be a "zombie herd" of rats or locusts that just rolls through Alexandria sometime, because that's way more likely to happen when there's no pest extermination in large population hubs, no pesticides out in those abandoned farm fields, etc..

Also thinking that carrion-eaters will suddenly stop relying on carrion and "adapt to be less picky about whether or not a corpse is moving" is also stupid as gently caress. Both predators and scavengers put a lot of work into remaining as safe as possible because, when you're an animal, even a small injury comes at a very high cost not even thinking about infection etc.. If you're too injured to seek out food then you don't breed, you starve. Birds especially are not going to just stop avoiding moving animals which are larger than themselves.

You should probably read up on how population explosions affect and are affected by sudden feast/famine, removal of local predators., etc. It doesn't happen overnight, and it vacillates wildly between negative extremes for quite a long time before - hopefully things stabilize. Stuff like wolves aren't going to just show up overnight, but the deer that aren't being hunted or run over by cars or killed by wolves and other predators WILL end up over competing for their own local foodsources and end up having large die-offs due to starvation during winter, major influxes of both old and new diseases, parasite problems like you wouldn't believe leading to tons of mange (and a mangy animal doesn't survive when it gets cold), etc. The deer population in my state has been gross and sickly for ages because of the lack of natural predation or coherent population managment - you couldn't pay me to eat a deer after having seen a few up-close in the last decade.

Are you guys copy pasting these from the letters section in the comics?

Don't make me have to explain why Carl's age doesn't make sense in 3000 words up in here.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

having a bedazzled child zombie would be pretty awesome

Z Nation had a bedazzled zombie, proving once again that it's the better show.

It wasn't a kid, but still bedazzled.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tortuga posted:

Are you guys copy pasting these from the letters section in the comics?

Don't make me have to explain why Carl's age doesn't make sense in 3000 words up in here.
Trap sprung - you read the letters in comic books!

But no I grew up hunting and fishing, and mostly quit because too many of the animals are too gross and unhealthy to eat (and the good ones are too expensive - and also often gross and unhealthy such as the sickly deer, not being able to eat native-born fish from local water bodies, etc).

Even the hatchery-stocked have cysts and cancerous lesions in the meat these days.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 1, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Here in Canada's gap, you can eat from almost any lake. Check and mate American survivalists.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

I've given it some thought and those saying that Neegans actor is doing a good job are both right and wrong. He is likely nailing exactly what the writers/directors want, while doing the same backbend for every line delivered the same exact way. He may be a good actor, but the character is poo poo.

Oh it's all the poo poo writing and lovely direction, something people don't land on enough. I'm sure, say, the actor that plays Carl wasn't going "Can I point my gun right at Negan and then do nothing for 5 seconds until I'm hit in the face?"

Plus AMC is so in love with Lucille and SO want to turn it into an iconic thing with all their marketing that it's become a joke. Daryl's crossbow, Michonne's Katana, Rick's Revolver, etc. all got to be iconic to their characters because they use them effectively and don't keep babbling on about how much they love their weapons while brandishing them in every.. single.. shot.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/tc3QRSF.gifv

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stickarts posted:

Here in Canada's gap, you can eat from almost any lake. Check and mate American survivalists.
I coulda sworn The Gap went out of business years ago - maybe it was Emporium though

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This was a really good episode. I enjoyed watching and his women Eugene play the Atari.

"I was gifted these pickles."

"I am indeed a smarty pants."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John F Bennett posted:

This was a really good episode. I enjoyed watching and his women Eugene play the Atari.

"I was gifted these pickles."

"I am indeed a smarty pants."

I love how so many idiot reviewers are so angry that Eugene's a traitor when there's like a 0.1% chance he's not playing a long con because lying is what Eugene does

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I don't know, if it was me I would be afraid of being thrown in an oven or worse so I would just do my job and receive my free daily food. I wouldn't be a traitor, just wanting to survive and enjoy the comforts of my private studio-apartment.

Fresh fruit and vegs. Eggs! Videogames, seriously. Why would I ever go back. He even is the chief engineer and now the resident medical doctor as well. Eugene has become a VIP there and has a change of becoming a very respected person.

I would be Negan so fast.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I doubt they really respect him. They know he is weak and can be bought with a jar of pickles and a video game after being with rick's group for years. I mean, he is almost definitely just biding his time and Negan might even suspect that, but on the surface he has proven himself as someone that can't be trusted. What if Rick comes by with a bigger jar of pickles and a super nintendo?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Where's the cockroaches?!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Living in constant fear that you'll be thrown in an oven doesn't seem that comfortable.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe Negan doesn't want to throw his entire science and medical team in an oven?

But sure, there may always be a present danger of being thrown in an oven, that's not ideal. But all those other perks must surely compensate for the slight chance of being thrown in an oven.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if that outpost that got decimated was just another community that specialized in weed production

"What's with all these people harshing our buzz by stabbing us through the ear in our sleep?"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Stickarts posted:

The kind of dumpster Glen crawled under is known in the industry as a "six yard dumpster", that being a reference to its cubic storage capacity. Basic conversion shows 6 cubed yards is ~4.5 cubed metres. If we estimate that the average turkey vulture takes up a space of 2'x1.5'x2', the per-turkey volume is about .1699 cubic metres. Therefore, Glen's six yard dumpster could hold approximately 28 turkey vultures.

My God! You're Turkey Volume Guessing Man!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Negan made a pretty good point about Rick not using Eugene effectively.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Rick hasn't done anything effectively ever so it wasn't a shocking revelation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I dunno, he seems pretty good at antagonizing every group he runs into.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd tell Eugene to gently caress off too if all he did was bumble around and tell people pie in the sky ideas when all you asked for was a Phillips head screwdriver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Shooting Blanks posted:

I dunno, he seems pretty good at antagonizing every group he runs into.

Also killing people & getting people killed is knack of his.