Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In an important status update, they have managed to fix the status update page.
For posterity:

quote:

Update at 11:35 AM PST: We have now repaired the ability to update the service health dashboard. The service updates are below. We continue to experience high error rates with S3 in US-EAST-1, which is impacting various AWS services. We are working hard at repairing S3, believe we understand root cause, and are working on implementing what we believe will remediate the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

And that person's computer is currently broken badly. So we get to see just how many of these tech companies are truly unprepared.

Amazon S3 is down in Ashburn, the region most people use. It appears a lot of people don't have backup plans, or have resources in other regions because the internet is basically on fire now. Name a trendy app and there's a better than 50/50 chance it's down right now because of this. My personal favorite so far is "isitdownrightnow.com" is down because of this. Also Trello, which a lot of these companies use for their documentation and communication, so they can't even figure out how to fix their broken services because Trello is broken for the same reason they their stuff is broken.

Just put it in the cloud......why maintain your own servers....it will be fine.....

Meanwhile amazon is up because they have redundancy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

call to action posted:

Ooh, someone's cranky! Try Googling it perhaps, it's well known that Uber takes between 20-30% of the fare as a commission, in addition to other fees charged (TNC, etc.)

But we're not talking about what Uber does now, we're talking about Uber's hypothetical fleet of self driving cars. Where did you get the idea that it'll be 80% of the fare with that?

Do you even know what you're talking about at all or do you just want to jerk off over that failure of a company?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
100% - 20% = 80%

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jethro posted:

100% - 20% = 80%

Why would Uber only take 20% or 80% of the fare on their own car with no driver?

The problem the dude is glossing over is that if Uber owns and opern cars, they now have a massive amount of spending they have to do to get the cars, to operate the cars, and to maintain the cars, as well as all the relevant licensing fees for owning a fleet of cars. They get 100% of the fare if they're self-driving, but it also means they go from covering 0% of the costs of driving as they do now, to covering literally all the costs.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 28, 2017

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This thread claims that uber takes 20% of the fare as fees and simultaneously gives the driver an extra ~100% of the fare as an anticompetitive VC subsidy.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-28/in-video-uber-ceo-argues-with-driver-over-falling-fares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTEDYCkNqns

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

fishmech posted:

Why would Uber only take 20% or 80% of the fare on their own car with no driver?
THEY'D TAKE THE OTHER 80% IF THERE'S NO DRIVER, IN ADDITION TO THE 20% THEY CURRENTLY TAKE, FOR A TOTAL OF ALL THE FARE. THAT IS WHAT call to action IS SAYING.

quote:

The problem the dude is glossing over is that if Uber owns and opern cars, they now have a massive amount of spending they have to do to get the cars, to operate the cars, and to maintain the cars, as well as all the relevant licensing fees for owning a fleet of cars. They get 100% of the fare if they're self-driving, but it also means they go from covering 0% of the costs of driving as they do now, to covering literally all the costs.
Right, and call to action's claim is that the extra money Uber would keep is currently sufficient to pay for car maintenance plus some (tiny) profit for the driver, so it would be enough to pay for Uber to maintain their cars plus some extra profit for them.

I have no position on whether this claim is correct, I was just annoyed by your inability to parse call to action's first post.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jethro posted:

THEY'D TAKE THE OTHER 80% IF THERE'S NO DRIVER, IN ADDITION TO THE 20% THEY CURRENTLY TAKE, FOR A TOTAL OF ALL THE FARE. THAT IS WHAT call to action IS SAYING.

Right, and call to action's claim is that the extra money Uber would keep is currently sufficient to pay for car maintenance plus some (tiny) profit for the driver, so it would be enough to pay for Uber to maintain their cars plus some extra profit for them.

I have no position on whether this claim is correct, I was just annoyed by your inability to parse call to action's first post.

No, what he's saying is that taking the rest of the fare would magically cover the costs, because he doesn't understand what he's talking about.

And what he's saying is flat out wrong. Uber's fares as they are now already cannot cover the cost of operating the service, despite Uber not actually paying for the costs of driving. Adding on actually maintaining the fleet to that makes it impossible for Uber to get by.

He's frankly an idiot that believes since electric cars need less maintenance that this would solve the problems at stake. It's kinda hosed up that you don't have any position on obvious facts.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think it's obvious whether self-driving cars help or hurt Uber; too much rides on exactly what the costs of building and maintaining a fleet are. Right now, labor is far and away the greatest cost to Uber, but that is because they operate a low asset model that obviously brings a shitload of advantages: they can avoid regulation and pass all the risks onto the driver. Issues like utilization of the fleet are of no concern whatsoever to them right now. If they invest in a massive fleet of self-driving cars, their income goes way up, but so do the expenses, and I have no idea how a company like Uber manages to buy those cars at this point.

The best-case scenario for Uber would be a huge consumer market opening up for self-driving cars, and people renting out their cars to Uber whenever they're not using them. That is not going to happen any time soon.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Haha good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't think it's obvious whether self-driving cars help or hurt Uber; too much rides on exactly what the costs of building and maintaining a fleet are. Right now, labor is far and away the greatest cost to Uber, but that is because they operate a low asset model that obviously brings a shitload of advantages: they can avoid regulation and pass all the risks onto the driver. Issues like utilization of the fleet are of no concern whatsoever to them right now. If they invest in a massive fleet of self-driving cars, their income goes way up, but so do the expenses, and I have no idea how a company like Uber manages to buy those cars at this point.

The best-case scenario for Uber would be a huge consumer market opening up for self-driving cars, and people renting out their cars to Uber whenever they're not using them. That is not going to happen any time soon.

I mean, there's already all sorts of companies that own and operate massive fleets of cars. It's not a new thing, or thing practiced infrequently, we can make very good estimates on what building and maintaining a fleet of vehicles looks like - and that's rather expensive. Especially if it's some company like Uber that aims to operate not even nationwide but globally.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No, what he's saying is that taking the rest of the fare would magically cover the costs, because he doesn't understand what he's talking about.

And what he's saying is flat out wrong. Uber's fares as they are now already cannot cover the cost of operating the service, despite Uber not actually paying for the costs of driving. Adding on actually maintaining the fleet to that makes it impossible for Uber to get by.

He's frankly an idiot that believes since electric cars need less maintenance that this would solve the problems at stake. It's kinda hosed up that you don't have any position on obvious facts.

Take your pills and consider the interpretation offered by other people in this thread, smoothbrain. Your weird, angry lashing out at someone who rarely (never?) has the displeasure of posting at you is pretty strange.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

call to action posted:

Take your pills and consider the interpretation offered by other people in this thread, smoothbrain. Your weird, angry lashing out at someone who rarely (never?) has the displeasure of posting at you is pretty strange.

It's pretty funny how you're unable to defend your argument that having a whole fleet of cars won't be expensive because "electric cars need less maintenance". consider not sucking Uber's dick for a minute.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

It's pretty funny how you're unable to defend your argument that having a whole fleet of cars won't be expensive because "electric cars need less maintenance". consider not sucking Uber's dick for a minute.

Why the gently caress would I want to defend anything to you, I'm posting at work to kill time

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Reminder that people who buy cars to do business (Uber drivers) are owners of capital thus the enemy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

I mean, there's already all sorts of companies that own and operate massive fleets of cars. It's not a new thing, or thing practiced infrequently, we can make very good estimates on what building and maintaining a fleet of vehicles looks like - and that's rather expensive. Especially if it's some company like Uber that aims to operate not even nationwide but globally.

In fact Uber has some experience with this. They do own their fleet in some area. Singapore for sure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

call to action posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to defend anything to you, I'm posting at work to kill time

So you admit that you literally don't know what you're talking about, and posted something you knew was bullshit. Good to know.

Have you considered that if being asked to defend your stupid statements hurts your feelings so much, D&D isn't the place to post?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

So you admit that you literally don't know what you're talking about, and posted something you knew was bullshit. Good to know.

Have you considered that if being asked to defend your stupid statements hurts your feelings so much, D&D isn't the place to post?

There was corn in my poop, do you think that's a problem?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

Do you ever see people calling you the most tedious goddamn person alive and think "maybe they have a point?"

feller
Jul 5, 2006

By the way that was rhetorical please don't make any posts on my account

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

call to action posted:

There was corn in my poop, do you think that's a problem?

Yeah your inability to defend any argument you make is a pretty big problem, dude.

Senor Dog posted:

Do you ever see people calling you the most tedious goddamn person alive and think "maybe they have a point?"

No, because they're idiots. Stop crying.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
fishmech you have been a member of this forum for nearly 11 years, how have you never learned how to just shut the gently caress up and disengage at a certain point? Jesus Christ you're worse than redditors sometimes. Everyone reading this thread is aware of your position. Everyone. Everyone reading this has formed an opinion of it one way or another. Just stop. You think owning a fleet of autonomous electric cars won't make Uber's business model work. Other posters think differently. We all get it. Stop spinning your tires and throwing poo poo everywhere you loving turd goblin.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

techlords.flv

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

fishmech you have been a member of this forum for nearly 11 years, how have you never learned how to just shut the gently caress up and disengage at a certain point? Jesus Christ you're worse than redditors sometimes. Everyone reading this thread is aware of your position. Everyone. Everyone reading this has formed an opinion of it one way or another. Just stop. You think owning a fleet of autonomous electric cars won't make Uber's business model work. Other posters think differently. We all get it. Stop spinning your tires and throwing poo poo everywhere you loving turd goblin.

If you hate discussing things so much you're free to not read the forum entitled Debate And Discussion.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Omg are we back to automated cars?? gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dominance displays aren't discussion.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fishmech posted:

If you hate discussing things so much you're free to not read the forum entitled Debate And Discussion.

You're not discussing anything, you're slapfighting. I know what slapfighting looks like - I'm a profoundly bad poster. Just stop. It's not working and your poo poo is so loud nobody can talk about anything else. Every other topic is drowned out by you demanding the last word with everyone who doesn't fully agree with you and this happens all the god drat time. I swear half of these things I come across on the forums, you're the idiot in the center.

This is such a good thread when you're busy elsewhere.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Bigger markets help in this case, more cars means lower acquisition costs per unit and lower maintenance costs per unit. It's expensive, but I don't think we can make a great cost estimate for a fleet of a self-driving cars yet, because I don't know how well we can estimate what the depreciation, fuel, and maintenance costs are going to be. If we were looking at a total cost of ownership of $10,000/car/year, which is a bit more than what it costs to run a compact van over its first five years, they'd do very well.

[ed: if this is something the thread has discussed way too much already and I just missed it, sorry, I can back out]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

[ed: if this is something the thread has discussed way too much already and I just missed it, sorry, I can back out]

If it's about Uber, and it wasn't in the news in the last 48 hours, we've covered it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yeah your inability to defend any argument you make is a pretty big problem, dude.

No, because they're idiots. Stop crying.

Actually you're the idiot that answered a rhetorical question heh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That's some nice alternative facts you got there, shame they aren't real ones.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Bigger markets help in this case, more cars means lower acquisition costs per unit and lower maintenance costs per unit. It's expensive, but I don't think we can make a great cost estimate for a fleet of a self-driving cars yet, because I don't know how well we can estimate what the depreciation, fuel, and maintenance costs are going to be. If we were looking at a total cost of ownership of $10,000/car/year, which is a bit more than what it costs to run a compact van over its first five years, they'd do very well.

Self-driving cars don't really change the calculus for costs, other than bumping up the cost of initial acquisition, since they'll necessarily cost more than regular cars (and I guess maybe you need to make sure to wash them a bit more often to ensure various sensors can work, but that's a minor expense). And we already know that massive vehicle fleets are expensive to maintain. You add on top of it that the only thing Uber really has going for choosing Uber as opposed to anyone else to get a ride from is their current policy of massively subsidizing fares and thus losing billions of dollars on the whole thing - so if they're to keep a large portion of their riders when they try to raise prices, they're still going to have to deal with razor-thin margins at best, because they aim to be discount.

Additionally, what sort of cost to run a compact van are you picturing there? If you're referring to how fleet vehicles like that are usually used, that'd be a lot less hard miles on it then a car intended to be used for taxi service all day and most of the night after all. Currently, taxi drivers who get a good amount of trips in a day will drive between 100 and 200 miles a day on their own, which is of course city mileage that's harder on fuel and brakes and so on then all highway or a mix, and with some of those taxis being used for two or three shifts over a day, that can easily end up with 250-500 miles per day (since obviously the shift that gets the really early morning hours is going to have significant downtime). There's also a lot of time spent idling mixed in there which would bring up fuel usage more but we'll ignore that for the moment.

If we assume about 25 miles a gallon city, like you get on many newer cars, that would mean burning at least 10 gallons a day for a car expected to be used all day. So 3650 gallons a year and with an average national gas price of $2.30 a gallon, you're looking at over $8000 a year just in fuel. And of course that'll be a lot higher in many metro areas.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What is it about self driving cars that sends people into a frothing rage? Like, this is easily the most partisan issue in tech since Apple products started sucking.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Because they're an obvious example of highly disruptive tech: there are a LOT of jobs -- millions -- based on driving, and self-driving technology could eliminate most of them. I think that's the most obvious reason anyway, other ones include whether they're an example of Silicon Valley hubris and to what extent they can complement or replace conventional transit.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Baby Babbeh posted:

What is it about self driving cars that sends people into a frothing rage? Like, this is easily the most partisan issue in tech since Apple products started sucking.

Anyone who has told you that there is sufficient advances in controls engineering to support self driving cars is lying.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I think the best side effect of the S3 outage today was this tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/836665124354150401

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's like Libertarianism to college students. People say the same thing over and over and over again, sure that *this* time they'll convince you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Uncertainty. There's enough question marks involved that people can fill in a lot of spaces with their own assumptions. At the same time, there's enough concrete material (and a clear enough moral villain) that people are willing to defend their assumptions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pr0zac posted:

I think the best side effect of the S3 outage today was this tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/836665124354150401

What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

What was it?

Probably that Trump is a massive retarded piss baby. There was a pretty big rant that I didn't read completely, and unfortunately it didn't get cached.