Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Should I just fly a second vulture to double our firepower?"

"Nah you're such a poo poo pilot that I'd rather fly solo with an extra pip. Get in my space chair for dummies and don't touch anything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Second chair in the Vulture is for your alt, clearly.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TorakFade posted:

Gunner? As if you'd put a turret in 1 of your only 2 slots on the most maneuverable ship in the game...

Probably there'll be more roles added at a later point so it will somehow make sense?

They could control missile targeting and the scanners (Kill Warrant or Cargo)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

TomR posted:

I concede, it's this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Why would anyone have an alt for Elite? But I know people do.

Eve has broken peoples' brains. It was bizarrely dedicated there and it's worse here IMO

:nallears:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone know if elite's auth servers run on s3?

I registered my new PC account, but whenever I try to login I just get a gateway timeout

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Strategic Tea posted:

Eve has broken peoples' brains. It was bizarrely dedicated there and it's worse here IMO

A lot of those people seem to have one account for exploration, one account for Bubble Stuff.

Which makes a certain amount of sense, I guess...? I mean, on this very page a far-off explorer was complaining about not being able to do cool new Bubble Stuff when the update drops

edit: I can't imagine anything less appealing than going through the entire Elite grind twice, esp. for engineers and poo poo

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Strategic Tea posted:

Quite a few players here picked up a second account so they could gently caress off into space and still participate in community stuff.

With the kind of hardware some people have the cost of the game itself isn't really much :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mimesweeper posted:

Quite a few players here picked up a second account so they could gently caress off into space and still participate in community stuff.

With the kind of hardware some people have the cost of the game itself isn't really much :v:

BRABEN PLEASE GIVE ME MY HOLO-WAIFU, I WILL PAY SERIOUS STAR CITIZEN MONEY

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trustworthy posted:

BRABEN PLEASE GIVE ME MY HOLO-WAIFU, I WILL PAY SERIOUS STAR CITIZEN MONEY

:stare:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That can't be real, the windows aren't blacked out.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

TomR posted:

Keelback

Also poo poo, time to drop my military supercapacitor hellgrind and start abusing Fehu or Quince or wherever it is you get rich getting Imp rank. I need a Clipper for multicrew.

In case anyone hasn't thought about it yet, the Clipper has perfect turret hardpoints, can outrun most ships, and can fire two beam laser turrets with long range grade 5 and thermal vents forever. Gonna kite the heck out of idiots with a gunner and packhounds.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 28, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

A lot of those people seem to have one account for exploration, one account for Bubble Stuff.

Which makes a certain amount of sense, I guess...? I mean, on this very page a far-off explorer was complaining about not being able to do cool new Bubble Stuff when the update drops

edit: I can't imagine anything less appealing than going through the entire Elite grind twice, esp. for engineers and poo poo

On the other hand, even EVE Online gives you three character slots per account. As long as I only have one character in Elite, I'll just continue on with what I'm doing out of sheer spite. Frontier will only get my money for new expansions and that's it. I'm not buying the same game multiple times because the devs can't program more than one save slot. :colbert:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Dromio posted:

I'm pretty new to Elite-- got it for VR and then got hooked. I've been using an Xbox controller in VR and got fairly comfortable with that scheme, then went out and got a HOTAS X. But I can't figure out how to do anything other than fly with the HOTAS.

Is there some way to set up the menus like the Xbox controller had, where you hold a button then press down or left to sender an item from that? I can't see my keyboard, and I'm not ready to spring for voiceattack+one of those fancy voicepacks yet.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dromio posted:

I'm pretty new to Elite-- got it for VR and then got hooked. I've been using an Xbox controller in VR and got fairly comfortable with that scheme, then went out and got a HOTAS X. But I can't figure out how to do anything other than fly with the HOTAS.

Is there some way to set up the menus like the Xbox controller had, where you hold a button then press down or left to sender an item from that? I can't see my keyboard, and I'm not ready to spring for voiceattack+one of those fancy voicepacks yet.

You can do that with pretty much any type of input device because, again, ED's binding options are spectacularly versatile.

First of all, you can set any command to be a button combination so that you can have a couple of shift/state buttons that modify what, say, a hat switch does. All you do is find the function and press the combination. So on its own, your POV hat might only navigate menus; with [button x] pressed, it instead activates various counter-measures; with [button y] pressed, it activates the different cockpit screens; with [button z] pressed, it toggles lights and landing gears and FA and whathaveyou.

…and then there's the “Miscellaneous > Enable Context Menu” option. The UI hint (un)helpfully states that this allows you to assign sub-functions to “pad face buttons” when held, which is exactly what the XBox controller uses for its menus. The problem is that it's not entirely clear what the game actually considers a “pad face button” and how that translates into the buttons for a joystick. I haven't experimented with this, so there's a fair chance that it only does this if it detects an actual A/B/X/Y button bind and knows that there are combo-button functions tied to those inputs. In that case, you just have to resort to muscle memory to learn which button gives you what combination.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Chilling in VR while watching a movie on a virtual screen taking up the spare passenger side of my Adder as I deliver beer to planets has become the ultimate way to murder several hours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I installed this again to try the character generator. I had the Premium Beta, shouldn't I be eligigle for Horizons? It tells me I need that to fiddle with the character creator. You apparently need Horizons to mess on the planet surface, and I'm pretty sure I did that when I stopped playing.

--edit: Some bullshit with Steam accounts apparently.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Well now I feel a little inadequate for posting this. Confirmed, the Thustmaster T.16000M is better than the HOTAS X. It doesn't have the slop in the middle of the stick and has like 18 more drat buttons on it for getting confused and dropping mines in space stations while trying to maneuver. It is going to take more getting used to the fact that it doesn't have reverse throttle (you toggle forward/reverse) but golly it has a lot of buttons. In VR it is really difficult to use more than a couple of the joystick's buttons in the base because you can't see, but the two on each outer edge are easy enough to feel reliably. The buttons in the joystick base are also sort of non-tactile and don't have a lot of push to them so they are hard to tell you've pressed them unless they are mapped to something that happens visually in game. Things like Galaxy Map are hard to tell if they are happening or not. The feel of the stick is much nicer than the HOTAS X, and the throttle is OK although I think my comfort issue comes from all the extra buttons on it I am not quite used to pressing.

All in all though, a definite improvement on the HOTAS X. I'd probably still recommend the X if someone isn't sure if they're going to sim much, but if you're already hooked and tired of chording buttons on your XBOX controller, this is definitely for you.

Because I am a super nerd who is tired of playing with his joystick in his lap, and the throttle on a nearby chair, I made this 3D printable mount for attaching the pair to some 1.5" PVC frame.

The arms could probably be slightly longer on the joystick mount, but it is really sturdy and when you nail a 3D print on the first try you just want everyone to carry you around on their shoulders for a while without making revisions.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hell Yeah thanks for posting that, I know what I'm printing tomorrow. I was thinking just today about how I wanted to build a wood thing for my HOTAS since my desk doesn't accommodate it well, but PVC is much easier

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This teleportation is ruining MUH IMMERSION :byodood:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mu77ley posted:

I haven't heard any indication that this will change any time soon.

Yes, they do already exist (and you pay off fines remotely too). If you look in the system map, details for the facilities at a station will list "Broker Network". They'll appear on the Contacts section of the Station Services if a station has it.

I know for a fact (as I've used it) that there's one in Van Royen Vision in HIP 10716.
Alright cool; I checked a couple of stations randomly and didn't see and had no clue if it said anything on the services tab so I figured I'd ask. Also glad to hear that the engineer recipes will probably stay this way for a while since it's much, much better.

Another question though: is it possible to plot your route with restrictions now (like say, only plotting to scoopable stars)? I recall hearing about more advanced route plotting back when 2.2 was going to be released but I couldn't see anything and don't know if I hear correctly or not.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

Alright cool; I checked a couple of stations randomly and didn't see and had no clue if it said anything on the services tab so I figured I'd ask. Also glad to hear that the engineer recipes will probably stay this way for a while since it's much, much better.

Another question though: is it possible to plot your route with restrictions now (like say, only plotting to scoopable stars)? I recall hearing about more advanced route plotting back when 2.2 was going to be released but I couldn't see anything and don't know if I hear correctly or not.
Yeah, there's a 'filter by selection' option at the end of the list of stuff you can filter on the Galaxy map screen (above the bit where you can choose to hide by population). Just change your map to Star Class, only select KGBFOAM, turn the route filtering on and you're set.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Holo-me is exquisite.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Hahahaha. I'm totally doing some poo poo like that when holo-me hits the main game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TomR posted:

Mimesweeper posted:

I concede, it's this.

I think you're onto something actually. How many people out there are going to buy alt accounts now just for the specific purpose of getting an extra power pip using a minimized client on their spare laptop?

It might be at least a couple.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Strategic Tea posted:

I got an alt so I could take advantage of security holes that Frontier had in the early days to get my ship to places it shouldn't ever been able to go. That got patched so now I have an account with a ton of impossible-to-get unsold data sitting on it. I wonder if I sold that if Frontier would even notice?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know some people used alts to store engineering commodities while their mains were off doing fun things in ships without cargo, while enjoying not being interdicted every second system.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu77ley posted:

I think you mean commodity storage, we already have module storage.

Yes! :thumbsup:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

General
  • Added asteroid base type station (including air traffic controllers)
  • Added 32 asteroid bases in various deep space locations

• Added Megaships[list]
  • Tanker
  • Cargo
  • Asteroid Miner
  • Flight Operations
  • Prison Ship
  • Science Vessel
  • Passenger
  • ???
  • ???

Stations/Ports
  • Stations can now be placed within rings
  • Stations can now be placed within asteroid clusters

POIs/USSs[/b][list]
  • Added additional installation scenarios[list]
  • Medical installation added
  • Added Space Bar installation
  • Added Space Farm installation
  • Added Government installation
  • Added new Security Station installation
  • Colour variations for installations added
This is the stuff that looks cool to me - new things to see! I'm hoping they mentioned the 32 deep-space asteroid stations as an exception though and that there will be a bunch of regular asteroid bases around - do we know if this is the case? Or do they mean there are only 32 asteroid bases out there?

quote:

[*]Added some new challenge scenarios
  • 4 new Incursion scenarios
  • Speed docking
  • Driver challenge
  • Ship launched fighter challenge
What are these though?

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
They are missions available from the Training menu.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is this a good game if me and my friend want to hop in and do some co-op space poo poo together? Is it going to be difficult for us to meet up and work as a team? Or would you guys say this is better suited to solo play.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

It will get much better next patch, when you and your friend can both be in the same ship.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's fairly easy to meet up, you can have wings of up to 4 people and those always get put in the same instance and share kill credits and stuff.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Truga posted:

It's fairly easy to meet up, you can have wings of up to 4 people and those always get put in the same instance and share kill credits and stuff.

This will also be better in the next patch when earnings from bounties are no longer split between wingmen.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This will also be better in the next patch when earnings from bounties are no longer split between wingmen.

Speaking of. have they gone back on the claim that powerplay merits won't be shared between crew, or at least said why?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know, I don't care about powerplay :shrug:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't know, I don't care about powerplay :shrug:
Nobody should with the dumb 50% rank decay per week crap they have now :colbert:

This game needs more ships that can hold a fighter bay. Anaconda, Federal Corvette, and Imperial Cutter are too big and cumbersome or unavailable to me because I haven't finished the stupid grind. Type-9 is just space garbage. The Keelback is pretty underwhelming, the Beluga is not really for HazRes fighting, so I guess that leaves the Federal Gunship? I feel like Python and FDL with fighter bays would be right up my alley, or even the Federal Assault Ship. Is it worth it to outfit and engineer a Federal Gunship for PvE RES fighting or am I going to feel like I wasted my time?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Meanwhile new mysterious alien events are showing up in the beta - not going to say exactly what but you can see it in this video starting about 1h 26min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya37h6QPnnw&t=5166s

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for the aliens to reveal themselves as humans in rubber suits with ships made of floodlights and stage fog.

"It was just a prank bro"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Geez man the comments for that video are weaponized autism.

• Locked thread