Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jalen.
Derrick.
Malik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jalen.
Derrick.
Malik.
Coached by Reggie

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jalen.
Derrick.
Malik.

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweetpoo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is there an unrelated grant we can throw with the Four Grants or do we have to wait for the next-generation K models to come out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
James

C: Jerome James
PF:Henry James
F: Damion James
G: Mike James
G: LeBron James

Really had to dig to find 5 guys. Killer backcourt, everything else is yikes.

Johnson

C:Steve Johnson
PF:Larry Johnson
SF:Marques Johnson
SG:Joe Johnson
PG: Magic Johnson

Bench:

G:Vinnie Johnson, Dennis Johnson
F: Gus Johnson
C: Ervin Johnson (that wouldn't cause any confusion, nosiree)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

why the gently caress would you lol at that?

I'm not pearl-clutching. I was genuinely surprised.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Steph, dell, and eddie wo uld be an unstoppable NBA street lineup

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Kibner posted:

Yes, it's sad and bad. Crime rate started going up after Katrina as the city has been unable to staff enough law enforcement. They've been having to contract out officers from other cities' departments in order to meet the bare minimum. :'(

:(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just read this:

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/836654185068150784

So it's makes me ask a probably dumb question. In the NBA, when a player on an expiring contract is traded away, he can't re-sign with his old team in the off-season, correct? I know that happens in baseball, but I didn't think that was in the case in basketball.

Just thought it'd be cool if Larry brought back George Hill as the starting SG. Always felt that Hill was a better SG over a PG since he likes to play off the ball a lot and sit in the corner for threes.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Andre Miller
Romeo Miller
Reggie Miller
Percy Miller
Oliver Miller

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5wovd0/demar_derozan_has_taken_more_midrange_jumpers/

According to reddit, Demar Derozan has taken more midrange shots than the entire Houston Rockets. gently caress Yeah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I just read this:

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/836654185068150784

So it's makes me ask a probably dumb question. In the NBA, when a player on an expiring contract is traded away, he can't re-sign with his old team in the off-season, correct? I know that happens in baseball, but I didn't think that was in the case in basketball.

Just thought it'd be cool if Larry brought back George Hill as the starting SG. Always felt that Hill was a better SG over a PG since he likes to play off the ball a lot and sit in the corner for threes.

They can def resign

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

euphronius posted:

They can def resign

So if the Pacers were to trade PG this off-season and he opts out after next season, they can re-sign him that 2018 off-season when he opts out? That's interesting...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Believe they have to wait a year or there has to be an intervening transaction

This is the zudrunas ilgauskas rule

I'll look it up .

A player who is traded and waived can't resign until July 1

A player who is traded and rights expire can always resign

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If paul george isn't re signing at 7.5 raises, he's certainly not signing with the pacers at 4.5 raises.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So if the Pacers were to trade PG this off-season and he opts out after next season, they can re-sign him that 2018 off-season when he opts out? That's interesting...

Lmao the gently caress you smoking

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

predicto posted:

why the gently caress would you lol at that?

I'm not pearl-clutching. I was genuinely surprised.

The use of Chicago as a measuring stick has some, well, connotations with it.

Unrelated, but People see the raw numbers and fail to realize how huge Chicago is. Nearly 3 million in city limits with 10 million in the Metro area. 3rd largest metro in the U.S. Crime as a whole is down.

Plus, In many ways the right treats it the same way as Benghazi.

P. S. New Orleans has had the highest murder rate on and off for like 25 years.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Tae posted:

If paul george isn't re signing at 7.5 raises, he's certainly not signing with the pacers at 4.5 raises.

Yeah I'm sure that's not really going to happen, but that's the first example I'm thinking of.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Believe they have to wait a year or there has to be an intervening transaction

This is the zudrunas ilgauskas rule

I'll look it up .

I think Big Z may have finally gotten a ring last year :unsmith:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The all-Irish are pretty stacked
Shaquille O'Neal
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike O'Koren
Charles O'Bannon
Victor O'Ladipo

Bench:
Jim O'Brien
Kyle O'Quinn
Fabricio O'Berto
Ed O'Bannon
Dan O'Sullivan
Grady O'Malley
Dick O'Keefe

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Unrelated, but People see the raw numbers and fail to realize how huge Chicago is. Nearly 3 million in city limits with 10 million in the Metro area. 3rd largest metro in the U.S. Crime as a whole is down.

lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lmao the gently caress you smoking

Hahahaha it's some good poo poo lemme tell you.

Nah, I know that's not really going to happen. It's just the one example that my brain could think of off the top of my head. I'm not as basketball smart as most of you guys on here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

That's the real answer

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generally players don't sign back with the team that just traded them unless they're a minimum salary type guy that'll take any available job. Players are real fickle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean for a really recent example, al horford left the hawks because Boston fans cheer really loud compared to hawks fans

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Generally players don't sign back with the team that just traded them unless they're a minimum salary type guy that'll take any available job. Players are real fickle.

I think we underestimate how much an event being traded is for a person. If you have kids you have to be separated from them a lot more, you have to start over with your outside-of-basketball life, you have to re-integrate into a new locker room. These aren't really things money can do much about.

Like, switching jobs and moving are two of the biggest stressors in life and, CONGRATS!, both happen to you without you having any say in it whatsoever. Athletes know its part of the job, but I imagine it still really, really sucks.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to put myself right back in that situation.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Oh, I get it. I was not suggesting anything of the sort. I really like Chicago and I lived there for 5 years, including college, and I'm not some alt-right tool trying to sneak in some snark to troll the libtards.

I used Chicago because it was THREE TIMES HIGHER than Chicago, which is pretty notable, not because I think Chicago is some post-apocalyptic wasteland of immigrants and nigg... ummm... "thugs" :)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

predicto posted:

Oh, I get it. I was not suggesting anything of the sort. I really like Chicago and I lived there for 5 years, including college, and I'm not some alt-right tool trying to sneak in some snark to troll the libtards.

I used Chicago because it was THREE TIMES HIGHER than Chicago, which is pretty notable, not because I think Chicago is some post-apocalyptic wasteland of immigrants and nigg... ummm... "thugs" :)

Chicago is like 8 on the murder rate scale in the US. STL, Baltimore, Detroit, NO, Newark, and two others I forget are ahead of them(Cleveland, or Columbus some city in Ohio).

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

DC and Flint I think

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Chicago is like 8 on the murder rate scale in the US. STL, Baltimore, Detroit, NO, Newark, and two others I forget are ahead of them(Cleveland, or Columbus some city in Ohio).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

28th in Violent Crime, 15th in Murder (2013-2014 data though).

2017 data, it's not in the top 30, but this list includes cities of 25k, which to me seems really low.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

It's really not particularly dangerous as far as large cities go, but there has been an increase in the last 6 or 7 years. Nowhere near the levels in the 80s and 90s though, its like less than half.

Top 50 cities worldwide, New Orleans made it in the top 40
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Tae posted:

I mean for a really recent example, al horford left the hawks because Boston fans cheer really loud compared to hawks fans

Support from your fans doesn't seem fickle at all

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

The Thunder just signed Norris Cole for the rest of this season. Are you happy, Metapod?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Thunder just signed Norris Cole for the rest of this season. Are you happy, Metapod?

RIP Thunder.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

28th in Violent Crime, 15th in Murder (2013-2014 data though).

2017 data, it's not in the top 30, but this list includes cities of 25k, which to me seems really low.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities

It's really not particularly dangerous as far as large cities go, but there has been an increase in the last 6 or 7 years. Nowhere near the levels in the 80s and 90s though, its like less than half.

Top 50 cities worldwide, New Orleans made it in the top 40
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Hmm that's weird the numbers I saw were from here

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/u-s-cities-experienced-another-big-rise-in-murder-in-2016/

(It was Cleveland and Memphis)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

No cause that's not going to solve the backup pg issue

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Hmm that's weird the numbers I saw were from here

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/u-s-cities-experienced-another-big-rise-in-murder-in-2016/

(It was Cleveland and Memphis)

It depends on what is called a city or not. It's also based on estimates, which is going to eliminate certain cities that are not reporting during the year. So, its saying similar things but just cutting the data differently.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

when a player on an expiring contract is traded away, he can't re-sign with his old team in the off-season, correct? I know that happens in baseball

This isn't a thing in Baseball, either. Aroldis Chapman literally just did this (was traded in July from the Yankees to the Cubs, became a free agent at the end of the season, signed with the Yankees in the off-season).

The rule is that you can't sign with a team you're traded from during the season. I think it's called the Derek Fischer Rule because he did it like three seasons in a row.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't a thing in Baseball, either. Aroldis Chapman literally just did this (was traded in July from the Yankees to the Cubs, became a free agent at the end of the season, signed with the Yankees in the off-season).

The rule is that you can't sign with a team you're traded from during the season. I think it's called the Derek Fischer Rule because he did it like three seasons in a row.

Nah it's called the Jerry Stackhouse rule because he was the first to explicitly say he was going to do just that on live tv.

Jerry Stackhouse
Apr 12, 2008

As reality itself unravels, only one thing is certain: Zach Lowe is working with the CIA to undermine Bashar al-Assad with advanced stats.
https://66thtake.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/breaking-the-press-part-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i sure do love me some old tyme basketball

https://twitter.com/KofieYeboah/status/836431675752054784

that instantaneous skyhook at 6 seconds, the what the gently caress-er from the baseline at 26, the spurs-esque ball movement at 30.

• Locked thread