Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

worthless. posted:

Coincidentally today also marks the day that I've officially let this hobby get out of hand.

My current DOS machine:

Wait, that's not right...

There we go. No, don't ask how much cash I've sunk into this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Mak0rz posted:

Well in that case why use a Win98 machine for DOSbox?

Wouldn't it run like crap on an old computer? Would FreeDOS work better?
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2013/11/retro-computing-why-bother-windows-98.html?m=1

This is why. Because its an Xp machine I decided to retrofit into a 98se. So its run Dosbox circa 2005. And its got a floppy in it. And 98 loads up fast as gently caress especially since its not connecting online. Ive used some of Phil's Lab files to get usb flash support.

And setting Dos 7 gets me like no audio and that whole no frame limit thingie. Moslo was always kinda butt.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Luigi Thirty posted:

My current DOS machine:

Wait, that's not right...

There we go. No, don't ask how much cash I've sunk into this thing.

Not enough to buy a math coprocessor apparently :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dr. Dos posted:

Not enough to buy a math coprocessor apparently :colbert:

The 287 is a repackaged 8087 and pretty garbage.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Can you still buy those kits to gut a AGB-101 and put the screen into an OG GBA? If so, where? Shipping to German, if it matters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

worthless. posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I just wanted to share with you all a photo of my new son, I love him very much.

Coincidentally today also marks the day that I've officially let this hobby get out of hand.
I know that I completely underestimated how far down the rabbit hole I'd go when I got my XRGB. At the time I figured I'd maybe do a N64RGB mod and get the cables for my SNES and leave it at that, with the NESRGB as my holy grail that I'd maybe get someday somehow. Since then I've:

-Gotten both N64RGB and UltraHDMI on the N64.
-Modded the SNES to mitigate the vertical line issue.
-NESRGB, of course.
-Essentially recreated my entire NES, SNES, and N64 childhood game libraries as well as several titles I didn't have before.
-Replaced every battery in each cartridge that has one, including GB/GBC/GBA carts.
-Misc things like getting cartridge covers, cleaning/polishing metal contacts, repairing controllers and getting extensions, etc.

It's surprisingly gotten a lot of use with company because everyone finds the lost art of couch multiplayer extremely alluring.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't post often in here and this isn't ACTUALLY a true retro post but I thought people in here might like to know that River City Ransom Underground got released yesterday and it's super good

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Well in that case why use a Win98 machine for DOSbox?

Wouldn't it run like crap on an old computer? Would FreeDOS work better?

Probably because he already has one setup, and because it already runs fast enough for the oldest DOS games that need the most weird stuff emulated. Later DOS games that couldn't be emulated fast enough on that computer are also DOS games that use new enough standards (VGA, sound blaster type audio, normal gamepads, game timers that aren't just programmed for one CPU speed and become unplayably fast otherwise etc) that they'd run fine in the native DOS mode.

FreeDOS doesn't emulate anything, it's just a replacement for DOS on the same hardware.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

worthless. posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I just wanted to share with you all a photo of my new son, I love him very much.

These two things are unrelated, right? Because a framemeister is hardly getting out of hand.

Now, if at the same time you decided, "Hey, I need to collect the complete Neo Geo AES library, all CIB," then yes, it's getting out of hand.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

worthless. posted:

Now gut it and put a raspberry pi inside

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TheMadMilkman posted:

These two things are unrelated, right? Because a framemeister is hardly getting out of hand.

Now, if at the same time you decided, "Hey, I need to collect the complete Neo Geo AES library, all CIB," then yes, it's getting out of hand.

Everyone has their own point of no return v:v:v

Neo Geo is defs the next step though. Is the Omega still the simplest consolized MVS option?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I'm not into collecting, but I've made an effort to preserve the console/handheld games that I've bought since the late 90s (N64 and later), and am curious how the "used" (collector) market regards what I have.

One of the things I don't get is that the Doom and Doom II ports for the GBA apparently fetch a lot, despite being somewhat-mediocre ports of widely-available PC games. Complete-in-box listings are going for as much (~$50) as Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, two exclusive titles that are among the best of the platform. The "PAL" version of Doom II fetches even more?

What's the deal there? What forces are determining the market value of mediocre, and frankly not really notable (for better or worse) ports of Doom?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the deal there? What forces are determining the market value of mediocre, and frankly not really notable (for better or worse) ports of Doom?

In large part it is rarity (mediocre games didn't sell well and are rarer, especially in Europe), coupled with a choice mention on the right YouTube channel or Podcast driving interest. The 2nd definitely has a certain necessity, which is why you can sometimes have something which is objectively extremely rare but simultaneously not really worth that much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So mediocre games have to be just good enough to be worth holding onto, but also unpopular enough to not have many copies in the wild?

I think the worst GBA game I own is the Sega Smash Pack (such terrible ports!) and, thankfully it sells for peanuts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also online listings for GBA games are rife with bootlegs so complete copies are presumably less likely to be fake and more desirable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The novelty of having a bad port of what's frequently considered one of the greatest games of all time probably factors into it too. Doom is one of the most ported games in existence. Collecting ports of it has become kind of a Thing.

As for how many there are: sometimes games just have limited production runs for some reason or another regardless of their reception or popularity, like Symphony of the Night or (famously) Suikoden 2, which are universally considered great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Doom and Doom 2 ports for the GBA are actually among the best non-computer ports of the game, especially before you get the 360/PS3 ports several years later.

In fact, GBA Doom 2 was the only port of the full Doom 2 to a console until 2005's Doom III release for the original Xbox, which included a port of Doom 2. The PlayStation Doom title included most of Doom 2's levels, but in cut down versions with some levels replaced entirely. The only modification the levels get in Doom 2 for GBA is that two levels get split up into two parts, and one other one has some walls added to reduce sightlines.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

The novelty of having a bad port of what's frequently considered one of the greatest games of all time probably factors into it too. Doom is one of the most ported games in existence. Collecting ports of it has become kind of a Thing.

As for how many there are: sometimes games just have limited production runs for some reason or another regardless of their reception or popularity, like Symphony of the Night or (famously) Suikoden 2, which are universally considered great.

Huh, didn't realize SotN was rare, especially since it had a Greatest Hits release, not to mention digital availability on PS3, 360 and Xbox One, as well as the enhanced new dub version on the also-digitally-available Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Just goes to show that value determinations can be all sorts of weird.

Suikoden 2 I think legit had a very small print run and somewhat justifies its rarity, although it, too, is digitally available on PS3 now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

Huh, didn't realize SotN was rare, especially since it had a Greatest Hits release, not to mention digital availability on PS3, 360 and Xbox One, as well as the enhanced new dub version on the also-digitally-available Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Just goes to show that value determinations can be all sorts of weird.

I was referring specifically to the original PlayStation disc. I actually didn't realize it had a Great Hits release, I just remembered reading somewhere that the game is pretty rare. Maybe I'm thinking of the Saturn version?

I know there's several other ports but nobody is going to "collect" a digital version on eBay.

fishmech posted:

The Doom and Doom 2 ports for the GBA are actually among the best non-computer ports of the game, especially before you get the 360/PS3 ports several years later.

In fact, GBA Doom 2 was the only port of the full Doom 2 to a console until 2005's Doom III release for the original Xbox, which included a port of Doom 2. The PlayStation Doom title included most of Doom 2's levels, but in cut down versions with some levels replaced entirely. The only modification the levels get in Doom 2 for GBA is that two levels get split up into two parts, and one other one has some walls added to reduce sightlines.

Right, forgot about this. Good to know!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 28, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I was referring specifically to the original PlayStation disc. I actually didn't realize it had a Great Hits release, I just remembered reading somewhere that the game is pretty rare. Maybe I'm thinking of the Saturn version?

Both are fairly expensive on eBay regardless, the black label seems to be like $70US and the GH is like $45US, which is quite a bit more than I would have expected. The Saturn version being rare would make sense, since it was relatively printed in much smaller numbers by virtue of being a Saturn game, and had exclusive (until the secret PSP version) extra content.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

Both are fairly expensive on eBay regardless, the black label seems to be like $70US and the GH is like $45US, which is quite a bit more than I would have expected. The Saturn version being rare would make sense, since it was relatively printed in much smaller numbers by virtue of being a Saturn game, and had exclusive (until the secret PSP version) extra content.

Which reminds me I'm still salty that the XBLA version didn't have any of the Saturn port bonus content :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawnFEnlk4E

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It still has exclusive content, the areas in the Saturn version never made it anywhere else, and neither did the items they added.

Also the Maria playable in DXC is different than the Saturn version.

True nirvana is realizing that none of that matters because the Saturn exclusive stuff is all crap.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

The Saturn version being rare would make sense, since it was relatively printed in much smaller numbers by virtue of being a Saturn game, and had exclusive (until the secret PSP version) extra content.
Nope! The PSP version doesn't contain anything that was exclusive to the Saturn version to my knowledge. It added a playable Maria, yes, but she plays completely differently from the Saturn version's playable Maria. I'm not sure if it included the added fight against Maria the Saturn version added, and it definitely didn't include the two new areas (YMMV on how big a loss that is).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
gently caress, here I thought the Saturn version was identical to what I'd already played. Guess I've got to put another expensive game on my loving bucket list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Nope! The PSP version doesn't contain anything that was exclusive to the Saturn version to my knowledge. It added a playable Maria, yes, but she plays completely differently from the Saturn version's playable Maria. I'm not sure if it included the added fight against Maria the Saturn version added, and it definitely didn't include the two new areas (YMMV on how big a loss that is).

Oh whoops, wasn't aware things were that different. Still has a much better script (although arguably without the charming cheese factor) on PSP.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

The novelty of having a bad port of what's frequently considered one of the greatest games of all time probably factors into it too.
Yeah, so, I get why the SNES and 3DO ports would be popular. The GBA ports weren't bad though, but there's not much novel to them aside from "not being terrible". Doom allegedly has additional deathmatch levels I guess.

Maybe it's just a Doom thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lets not forget the best reason for collecting SNES Doom

Its a RED cartridge man! (Yeah I know there's others)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, so, I get why the SNES and 3DO ports would be popular. The GBA ports weren't bad though, but there's not much novel to them aside from "not being terrible". Doom allegedly has additional deathmatch levels I guess.

Yeah, that was my bad. I didn't realize they were actually good and I forgot Doom 2 GBA was the first ever complete non-PC port of it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets not forget the best reason for collecting SNES Doom

Its a RED cartridge man! (Yeah I know there's others)

I know a guy from back home who flipped out at his dad and took a drill to his SNES Doom cartridge and ruined it. I can't remember the whole story, but he was a weird kid. That's my SNES Doom cartridge story.

I have fond memories of Maximum Carnage and its hair metal soundtrack.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ExcessBLarg! posted:

With the GBA port, it's also a case of there not really being any other good ways to play Doom on the go. Android has several ports, but they all have serious caveats, even if it's as simple as "the touch controls don't really work great for Doom."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My biggest gripe with GBA Doom is they screwed up the music. The actual music is pretty OK for a chiptune port of the soundtrack, but the level mapping is off by one. E1M1 shouldn't sound like E1M2 damnit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

gently caress, here I thought the Saturn version was identical to what I'd already played. Guess I've got to put another expensive game on my loving bucket list.

No, no you don't.

I mean even if you don't want to spend the money because it works with Pseudo Saturn, it's a bad version of that game. The bad load times and graphical effects, and literally the only positive change I can say about it is the Bat Wing Smash is infinite and the spear is okay, and the movement upgrade would be nice if it didn't require you to double tap to use.

Both the areas added are bad, and one even has bedsheet ghosts in it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

With the GBA port, it's also a case of there not really being any other good ways to play Doom on the go. Android has several ports, but they all have serious caveats, even if it's as simple as "the touch controls don't really work great for Doom."

Also, I believe that was the only way to play portable Doom at the time. The Android port of Doom supports controllers and if you have a Nvidia Shield Portable, then it's pretty good. It even will run a good portion of mods but nothing too new though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I know how you feel because I felt the same way when I learned this, but before you pull that trigger just watch a video of the extra content and really weigh if it's worth it. It definitely wasn't for me.

Bedsheet ghosts are cute and good though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, Doom for GBA contains 8 deathmatch levels that don't appear anywhere else. They're the only levels made for the original Doom engine, officially, which are specifically meant for deathmatch (all other official versions just have you play deathmatch in the normal single player levels without much of anything to optimize the deathmatch experience in them).

Of course this isn't an issue normally because there's thousands of player made and other third party deathmatch maps, but still it was a very interesting addition, and a shame that the 8 maps never made it into the Xbox/360/PS3 ports of Doom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

Also, I believe that was the only way to play portable Doom at the time. The Android port of Doom supports controllers and if you have a Nvidia Shield Portable, then it's pretty good. It even will run a good portion of mods but nothing too new though.

What is the good android port of doom? All the ones I've found suck or have major deficiencies.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

It did get a Greatest Hits release but it had nothing to do with sales figures, apparently.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It did get a Greatest Hits release but it had nothing to do with sales figures, apparently.

Yeah there were a few games at the end of the PS1's life where they just said gently caress it and reprinted the game anyway even though it never hit the sales target for it.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics was another one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Square still either actively prints or is sitting on a huge stockpile of their PS1 games, since you can still buy a handful for $15 from their webstore. They used to have FFT and Chrono Chross, but right now they only have Final Fantasy 9 and the three FF collections.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They almost have to be actively printing them, because they go in and out of stock pretty much every time they have a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the good android port of doom? All the ones I've found suck or have major deficiencies.

I used D-Touch on the Amazon App Store. You have to download the Amazon Underground App and buy it through there. The Underground app is not on the Google Play Store because reasons. D-Touch used to be on the Play Store but it was taken down also because of reasons. It supports GZDoom which is what most mods use today. Caveats though, I've only used D-Touch on the Nvidia Shield Portable which I kept on Android Lollipop because that iteration still allowed SD Card Management with less headache than what ever the current build is. Also, the creator of D-Touch seems to have dropped off the face of the earth so don't expect any support. Lots of hoops to jump through and I don't blame you if you don't want to take the plunge. It's the only Doom app, I feel worth it's salt. Everything else I've tried is half baked or inserts "enhancements" into the engine such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3r_M6_e30

I haven't bothered looking for anything else in some time, maybe something better has come out?

Edit: Oh, also D-Touch is not free which is already a dealbreaker for some. When I bought it the dev was still supporting it.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread