Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, back in Korea, hopefully I will see something more enlightening than the inside of a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Her family is very traditional chinese and she told me that her family will want me to pay a bride price before the wedding (we are engaged). She said it will probably be around $35,000-$40,000. I refused. For me it is not about the money, but about the principle behind it. I don't appreciate the idea that I have to buy her from her family like some sort of object. This is what I told her, but unfortunately I think she took it in a different way. I say money is not the issue, and it is not for me. But I think that she thinks it is, despite my assurances that it is not. I make about $200K per year, while she makes about $45k. I think she thinks I am being stingy by refusing to pay for it. How do I approach this? She's out of town for work, but comes back on Friday.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BONGHITZ posted:

I think she thinks I am being stingy by refusing to pay for it. How do I approach this? She's out of town for work, but comes back on Friday.

:sever:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Don't marry her if she's an idiot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe offer a couple of cattle as a gesture of good faith.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

BONGHITZ posted:

Her family is very traditional chinese and she told me that her family will want me to pay a bride price before the wedding (we are engaged). She said it will probably be around $35,000-$40,000. I refused. For me it is not about the money, but about the principle behind it. I don't appreciate the idea that I have to buy her from her family like some sort of object. This is what I told her, but unfortunately I think she took it in a different way. I say money is not the issue, and it is not for me. But I think that she thinks it is, despite my assurances that it is not. I make about $200K per year, while she makes about $45k. I think she thinks I am being stingy by refusing to pay for it. How do I approach this? She's out of town for work, but comes back on Friday.

Break up or put your foot down. Some cultural differences are too infuriatingly stupid to compromise or find some common ground on. Find someone like her but without the expensive and ridiculous cultural baggage and inability to ever offend or disobey her parents.

I dated and was almost engaged to a very traditional chinese lady. She was great, we got along well. I was young and in a whole "oh you have to just respect other cultures" headspace. Eventually it just gets too much, it's always you totally giving in to them because you have no culture or values, only chinese culture and traditions matter. Anything you want is just your personal desire so who cares, anything she wants is based on 5000 years of culture. Also your kids will be getting TCM, you will be getting TCM. A house you love and want to buy will suddenly be out of the question because of the address or some mystic energy in the layout not maximizing profit centres. It will be illogical superstitions and "respect my culture and parents" for everything from trivial things to major financial choices for the rest of your life.

If you don't want superstitions and traditions you find stupid, illogical, or harmful ruling the rest of your life "very traditional chinese" is going to be a universal deal-breaker. I'm sure she's very nice and you're very in love but a marriage is based on a lot more than that and there's a good chance you'll be miserably dominated by this poo poo or getting into massive screaming arguments about it all the time because it will never go away while her family lives.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 28, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

try the /r/relationships thread. sorry about your divorce

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Source your quotes, my dude

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

40k seems steep for a wife. What do Russian brides go for these days?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If a person would actually be stupid enough to ask this thread for relationship advice they would by definition be too stupid to take the good advice anyway

that said

Chomp8645 posted:

also holy gently caress this belongs in an art installation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

lol she's 28

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

so shes already a leftover and she wants 50k? lmbo

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that is so dumb, she should respect your culture

pay in bitcoin

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5wqi1i/me_31_m_with_my_fiance_28f_3_years_i_dont_want_to/?st=izq5lac8&sh=f47d094b

in case you were actually confused

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
best comment
"Just say that you were expecting a 40000 dollar dowry so they cancel the other out"

bride price is just dumb unless you are marrying into a way higher status family. You are supposed to have to pay the man to take the less valuable daughter

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

quote:

Oh, because blacks are treated so well in India, Arabia, Europe, Southeast Asia, Japan, Korea, Australia, Latin America, Israel, right?
LOL
China doesn't randomly kill black people. Can't say the same about the 5,000 or so African Americans that get killed by other African Americans every year.
And no dickweed, the riots happened because the African students were bribing starving Chinese female students with the more-than-generous food stipends the government was handing to them for free, and often raped, harassed and molested them.

The apologists are out in full force about that document. Ah, yes, black people killing other black people on the other side of the planet surely excuses racism in a completely different country. Also, here's a rumor about African students using their scholarship money to bribe hungry Chinese women to sleep with them (hmm, why were they starving, anyway?).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The idea that a father or mother or both has any loving ownership of a grown-rear end adult woman is silly as poo poo. I can't respect that element of chinese culture and it sounds like something worth being a shithead about and refusing to partake in imo.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I love that the cucking phenomenon works with freaks of all races :allears:
There's no way a Good Chinese Woman would be with a black man of her own volition, she has to be in it for the food!
:goonsay:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/AmyJBrittain/status/836675650253688834

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

I can't respect chinese culture

TRIGGERED

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Nice

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

TRIGGERED

I mean it's funny to edit my point but there's a lot i really like, but just about anything to do with family seems loving dysfunctional including the apparent sale of daughters.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
Gorea

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nice

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

very clever with maracas posted:

you people are kind of dumb and american-centric

the reason why blackface is so offensive in the US is not because dressing up as a charicature is offensive (its not), but because of your deep and troubled history with minstrels shows and the way they legitimised slavery

the rest of the world didnt have the same kind of slavery as you, so blackface is not aasssss problematic in these places

Are you an actual retarded person?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

europeans and asians have no history of subjugating black people. none. don't look into it. they're morally absolved from the problematic nature of blackface.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Well, back in Korea, hopefully I will see something more enlightening than the inside of a bar.

You're in Korea, so, no.

Fake edit: If you have some time in Seoul, go to the War Museum. It's really excellent.

BONGHITZ posted:

If she knows you as a person so poorly that she thinks you are being stingy when you aren't, do you really want to marry her?

In any case, this is a cultural thing that her parents are just going to have to get over. Because it's frankly not okay to buy and sell women, even from their families.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Oddly enough, if the family withholds the hukou papers, you can't get married, so good luck with that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

Oddly enough, if the family withholds the hukou papers, you can't get married, so good luck with that.

Seriously?

Forget what I said. :sever:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Traditional Chinese Medicine should be called Chinese Medieval Medicine

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Miasma theory is Traditional Western Medicine

Also please remember that BONGHITZ just copy-pastes sad tales from Reddit.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I've been working on that site for about a year now and the omitting of the 4s has been causing massive eye rolling longer than I've been on site.

Also, a lot of residents I've worked with who bought into the project before the developer went with the Trump name hate it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Also by my count it's only 62 floors.

Lower Lobby
Upper Lobby

68/69 is a penthouse, and 22 is a mechanical room. LL to 21 is the hotel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Imperialist Dog posted:

Miasma theory is Traditional Western Medicine

Also please remember that BONGHITZ just copy-pastes sad tales from Reddit.

Oh. I didn't know, haha. But I feel bad for whoever that is in real life.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ceciltron posted:

pretty sure that doesnt apply when you live in the civilized world where adults are in full control of their life

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
5,000 years of no why ain't got poo poo on 6,000 years of monotheism

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

pretty sure that doesnt apply when you live in the civilized world where adults are in full control of their life

In theory, yes, but this means DOUBLE UNFILIAL PIETY, because you betray the fatherland and your parents.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

China, your language has like five syllables, your homophones are the least significant homophones on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!

Ceciltron posted:

Not exactly, my wife was able to request her hukou papers with just her ID at the government office

EDIT: Actually, that appears to be true, I was thinking of a different aspect of the hukou system

KillingPablo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread