Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

El Pollo Blanco posted:

No one knows any more because you can't get into a WINZ office without photo ID.

That's not quite true - you just need any form of ID, doesn't have to be photo.

At least, that's what all the internal memos say. gently caress knows how it actually plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

That's not quite true - you just need any form of ID, doesn't have to be photo.

At least, that's what all the internal memos say. gently caress knows how it actually plays out.

I'm sure a protocol that provides a long line of potential shooting victims being established in 2017 will bring back the lives of the msd officers that were killed in 2014

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

The Schwa posted:

It's been a while since I've been eligible for one but yeah they do give you substantially reduced rates for medical appointments, at least

Both my old and current GPs only give a discount for CSC holders if they aren't your normal GP.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Taitale posted:

Both my old and current GPs only give a discount for CSC holders if they aren't your normal GP.

that's not been my experience in the past, but I haven't had a CSC since around 2009 so things may have changed :shrug:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Taitale posted:

Legitimately, what the gently caress do community service cards even do?

You can get your balls cut off for free or almost free with one

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

But enough about the NZ welfare system.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I loving wish.

(I'm trans, killing those things is never going to happen with our healthcare system)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Didn't the one surgeon doing that in NZ retire last year?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BUT THE INVISIBLE HAND OF THE MARKET

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

Didn't the one surgeon doing that in NZ retire last year?

He retired in 2014. His technique was poo poo and outdated anyway.

Not that that matters because the waitlist for public surgery is like 47 years long and i can't afford private therapy let alone private surgery.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I really like how English is continuing the fine tradition of taking anecdotes as evidence of larger problems while also reducing larger problems to anecdotes and thus not worth worrying about. He learnt a lot from Key.

"Some employers complain about drug tests & not finding staff" = "Young people must be all on drugs or not want to work"
"Significant overcrowding, homelessness and affordability indicates a housing crisis" = "Well, it's just a crisis for them and not everyone else"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

More quality work from Nick Smith

quote:

The Government announced it had set up a $3 million fund to help building owners with the cost of the work – which is expected to total about $9m – and it would foot half of each repair bill.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Maths is hard

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Wellington City Council is kicking in another million & I think the other councils are putting some money forward too, but $9m seems like a pretty optimistic estimate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, the councils are covering the difference. It's more that I can't believe reporters are just like "yeah, these are the stats, good work Government on coming to the table to cover half the costs with a third of the money doo de doo dooo".

When the cost of the work inevitably blows out because there's a strict deadline set by the government on earthquake strengthening a bunch of heritage buildings there's no way the government is going to step back in with their Skycity chequebook - the councils will will be expected to cover it, and in the end it'll be surprising if the Government even covers 20% of the cost of their benevolence.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Huh, looks like Labour might be playing to win this time.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pararoid posted:

Huh, looks like Labour might be playing to win this time.

*checks for evil goatee in case this is the mirror universe

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Bulldoze Cuba st imo.

Heritage buildings and earthquakes don't mix.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You have to look after heritage buildings because so much of modern architecture is just design fads that only look good on paper and in the first five years.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jacinda is going to be Labour's deputy leader.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

You have to look after heritage buildings because so much of modern architecture is just design fads that only look good on paper and in the first five years.

OK that's cool but they will probably fall down and kill someone.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

bike tory posted:

Jacinda is going to be Labour's deputy leader.
She will be if Labour are smart, but right now Annette King is the frontrunner -- Jacinda isn't even in Little's top 5.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Does she even want the job though?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

She will be if Labour are smart, but right now Annette King is the frontrunner -- Jacinda isn't even in Little's top 5.

Yeah about that: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11809636

quote:

Labour will elect a new deputy leader after Annette King decided to step down and retire from Parliament, leader Andrew Little has announced.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Holy poo poo yes.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Labour are getting their poo poo together.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sorry yes I should've linked the article but the news I came to post also involved Annette King standing down and Jacinda being Little's top pick

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Labour are getting their poo poo together.

Whoa whoa whoa lets not get carried away yet. We're still in broken clock territory ATM.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

okay.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That reminds me of something

Oh wait

The Hoi Polloi have memories like cotton candy, it seems.

edit: Amended for the sugarglass sensitivities of D&D.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 1, 2017

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

The great unwashed

Don't do this

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Do people think opium is a Chinese thing? It was the British that cooked up that poo poo in India and pushed it on China, and started a war when people wised up and banned it.

Also

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes, or have you missed the massive oriental overtones it's presented with in any form of popular media? They don't call it chasing the english countryside.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Meh.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fartmanteau posted:

Do people think opium is a Chinese thing? It was the British that cooked up that poo poo in India and pushed it on China, and started a war when people wised up and banned it.

Also

Right or wrong it is really heavily associated with China, yeah, though I think a more up to date xenophobe would replace it with meth.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

meth precursors, we can make our own dang meth :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Sorry yes I should've linked the article but the news I came to post also involved Annette King standing down and Jacinda being Little's top pick

King was, by most accounts, excellent as a deputy for Little and has been a unifying figure for the caucus under him - she's been around long enough and is liked/respected enough by all factions that selecting her as his deputy was a natural and smart choice. Ardern, though, has much broader appeal as a candidate and is seen as a stronger campaigner according to Bryce Edwards.

The other factor not really being talked about is the apparently impending return of Raymond Huo to parliament. Maryan Street has opted to step aside so that he gets into parliament. Apparently Huo is reasonably well-regarded in the Chinese community here and apparently, his return is a fairly big deal to them.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Schwa posted:

meth precursors, we can make our own dang meth :colbert:

They tightened up control of the precursors from what I remember, so I'm pretty sure a lot of meth is brought in precooked. I could be wrong, and since someone I know got rented a house that had been ruled unfit for occupation due to its previous tenants using it as a meth lab then obviously not all our meth is imported. Real cool thing to do to a couple with a 1yo baby btw.

On the note of real cool things to do, it's really cool of Auckland University to be allowing a straight up white supremacist club to have a stall and recruit during O week. Real cool. So glad I went there.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11810289

UoA has released a hand-wringing media statement about how they can't do anything because they allow any clubs started over the summer break a stall as policy. Such bs. https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/about/news-events-and-notices/notices/notices-2017/03/media-statement-regarding-new-clubs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, but we just can't enforce our no duck policy until we see it swim.

• Locked thread