Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Like I said, I don't have a problem with romance plots. What I do have a problem is when an entire episode is filled with them. Not sure why this is a controversial opinion. Yeah, it was Valentines Day. But did it ever occur to you that some people watch television as a form of escapism?

With you on that. I really don't get the obsession US shows have with having specific "holiday" themed episodes - they are generally terrible, cliche ridden and full of contrivances and shmaltz to fit the "theme".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

With you on that. I really don't get the obsession US shows have with having specific "holiday" themed episodes - they are generally terrible, cliche ridden and full of contrivances and shmaltz to fit the "theme".
So basically Maggie being told by Alex not to push down her feelings and then told by Kara to push down her feelings for the sake of Alex's feelings?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chortles posted:

The funny thing I would have expected "already had a crush on an alien who looked human" to make someone's capacity to empathize with a non-human-passing alien worse, not better.

To be fair he got burned real bad by an alien already, so I can kind of understand his hesitancy.

Just, y'know, don't jump immediately in the sack with her if you really want to slow down, even if her culture prizes sexual aggression.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Chortles posted:

So basically Maggie being told by Alex not to push down her feelings and then told by Kara to push down her feelings for the sake of Alex's feelings?

I didn't get that message from what happened. I thought Kara was right to tell Maggie that she should consider how her sister feels. A relationship, a healthy one is about considering others AND your own boundaries. If it's important to someone else, both of you should come to a conclusion after talking to one another, not storming in with a surprise Valentine's Day or by yelling and running away.

The show handled that well in the end and you got to see the process to get to that point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pan Dulce posted:

I didn't get that message from what happened. I thought Kara was right to tell Maggie that she should consider how her sister feels. A relationship, a healthy one is about considering others AND your own boundaries. If it's important to someone else, both of you should come to a conclusion after talking to one another, not storming in with a surprise Valentine's Day or by yelling and running away.

The show handled that well in the end and you got to see the process to get to that point.

Maggie was asked to face her feelings, not suppress them. She was keeping it bottled up and not dealing with it and it was hurting what she has right now. It is a very well-written relationship. So is Mon-El + Kara. So is Winn and the alien whose name I don't remember. They are all different types of relationships but every one is believable and done well.
Like 150 times better than Kara + James.
Even Kara and Lena's friendship is better written. I mean, drat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Supergirl needs to work on her morning after skills

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mon-El is such a doofus.

I hope this really is Jeremiah.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 28, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh good, Dean Cain really is Cyborg Superman :haw:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay some songs should just not be allowed to have "slow" covers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This has gotten scary topical with the recent ICE raids.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
They telegraphed Jeremiah being up to no good so hard that it was almost a surprise that that's actually the direction they went in.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

evenworse username posted:

They telegraphed Jeremiah being up to no good so hard that it was almost a surprise that that's actually the direction they went in.
To some extent I'm surprised they actually went with him being consciously Jeremiah and not a double or unwitting sleeper!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Mon-El announcing it to everyone at the DEO.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This has gotten scary topical with the recent ICE raids.

Seems strange to catch and deport all the aliens when they were trying to kill them before. But maybe that's not what the ship is for

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha Mon-El announcing it to everyone at the DEO.

Attention coworkers, I have made it with a woman!

God drat, DC is way to invested in no killing rules of their characters, but sometimes, a 5.56 between the eyes will save more people. Mrs Luther is a perfect example of this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sometimes I want Oliver to be stuck in Supergirls world for a few episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

Sometimes I want Oliver to be stuck in Supergirls world for a few episodes.

Or early season 2 Barry.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Or early season 2 Barry.

Barry would inadvertently work with CADMUS.

"Why yes we should round up all the metahumans to "help" them. I even know a way to construct a prison so that they can never escape!" :downs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Why yes we should round up all the metahumans to "help" them. I even know a way to construct a prison so that they can never escape!" :downs:

That's season 1, it was season 2 he started straight up murdering fools.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He already did that on Earth-38 last season.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Why do we never get Barry's NCIS crime scene visualization stuff anymore? I thought that was neat, and you could tie it back into his fighting tactics as the Flash (as most people are slow as hell compared to him so he has time to predict movements and junk).

e: Wow, wrong thread, disregard.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 28, 2017

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well this episode was even better than last week, and that one had the magic imp with magic! From the preview of next week, it looks like we're getting into the real nitty gritty of this show now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm glad that Kara was able to be convinced by clear evidence of wrongdoing and didn't immediately flip back to thinking Jeremiah was on the level and turn against Mon-El and Wynn after one flimsy and easily refutable explanation.

It's funny how a similar situation played out the other week with Lena Luthor, but was handled much better this time around.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If only there was some nonlethal way to capture someone... like dunno, shoot for the leg, knock them out, tackle them. But no, if you aren't willing to kill someone (understandably) just let them walk. :bang:

Woden
May 6, 2006
My favourite part was when Dean Cain put the bug on the screen to download the database and then shot those screens up.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Avalerion posted:

If only there was some nonlethal way to capture someone... like dunno, shoot for the leg, knock them out, tackle them. But no, if you aren't willing to kill someone (understandably) just let them walk. :bang:

The DEO needs to stop their employees from watching Legends of Tomorrow, it teaches them bad tactics.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Avalerion posted:

I was honestly expecting her to blast off his robot arm. Very disappointed when she didn't.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Avalerion posted:

To be fair, if your sidearm is a huge gently caress-off alien laser commissioned by a martian, there's a good chance any hit whatsoever will be lethal.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

"On Daxam we throw a party when we get laid! And then everyone gets laid at the party! It's a never ending cycle!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm really amused that they couldn't uncover a robot arm with a medical scan.

Honestly, all the upper leadership of the DEO needs to be put on administrative leave. When you have both a telepath and someone with x-ray vision get duped by someone who is lying and has body parts replaced, your organization is completely broken.

I understand that they wanted to play the trust card in this episode, but the way they wrote it was terrible because it required the complete negligence of too many characters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Dean Cain is great. I really liked this episode a lot. Not finished with the episode yet though so hoping he gets away so we can have more Dean Cain.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
YER A CADMUS MAN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

I was honestly expecting her to blast off his robot arm. Very disappointed when she didn't.

"I can't shoot you dad...

...with a gun this small." :clint:.

Then she wastes him with her bazooka.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evenworse username posted:

YER A CADMUS MAN

lmao laughed my rear end off at that line

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm glad that Kara was able to be convinced by clear evidence of wrongdoing and didn't immediately flip back to thinking Jeremiah was on the level and turn against Mon-El and Wynn after one flimsy and easily refutable explanation.

It's funny how a similar situation played out the other week with Lena Luthor, but was handled much better this time around.

That was refreshing for sure. I thought they would have her believe him, like Alex. I was about ready to scream at the tv, thinking Kara was going to go into "you need to trust people!" mode again, but when she like "why didn't he just wait and ask us instead of hacking our mainframe?" I realized they were actually sticking with logic and reason. It was incredibly novel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

"On Daxam we throw a party when we get laid! And then everyone gets laid at the party! It's a never ending cycle!"

King of Daxam was Rodney Dangerfield.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

God drat, DC is way to invested in no killing rules of their characters, but sometimes, a 5.56 between the eyes will save more people. Mrs Luther is a perfect example of this.

I'm guessing it was "part of the deal", but Alex not just getting the living poo poo kicked out of her by Evil Hank when Kara left her to get the train was kind of dumb. Sure she had a gun but her chasing the three of them was just kind of eye rolling.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"I can't shoot you dad...

...with a gun this small." :clint:.

Then she wastes him with her bazooka.

The show you want is Gotham.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Medullah posted:

I'm guessing it was "part of the deal", but Alex not just getting the living poo poo kicked out of her by Evil Hank when Kara left her to get the train was kind of dumb. Sure she had a gun but her chasing the three of them was just kind of eye rolling.

Well you see, CADMUS plays the long game. *sticks gigantic lampshade over this episode* hey look over there a new episode

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Medullah posted:

My main problem there was that for someone with super hearing, telescopic vision etc etc and the ability to move incredibly fast, Kara took foreeeeever to get back and help Alex. Especially since she absolutely knew Alex was under threat.

Really it's part of the problem with writing Supergirl - if she uses her powers to their full extent it's really hard to create situations that she doesn't just trivially solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Supergirl/iZombie crossover! Well, not really but wouldn't that be fun?