Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

KieranWalker posted:

And my god, the Witch Pistol looks powerful. It was still clearing rooms quickly even in Bullet Hell.

Any of the transmogrify guns is great throughout the entire game because turning an enemy into a chicken is basically an instant kill.

Cryohazard posted:

I'd be more than OK if you just never wanted to do Bullet Hell again. It's boring to play and it's boring to watch, and there's nothing more to gain from doing it (as far as I know). I feel like it'd be a win-win.

I enjoy seeing scruffy take on Bullet Hell because it seems to be the only place in the game that still legitimately terrifies him.

It's not a proper victory unless you full clear, though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Lazy Bear posted:

Back in the days before suppressors, quiet 'executions' would be performed by placing a pillow on the victim, then pressing the revolver into the pillow and firing, the pillow muffling the shot. I suppose it's probably still done today. So, yeah. Pillow silencer.

"Quiet"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Well, comparatively so.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You can definitely unlock something by winning wagers with the Gunsling King, but you need to win ten of them in total.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Am I the only one who finds the name 'Poopulon' unreasonably funny? Try saying it out loud.

And the reload for the Silencer is just fluffing up the pillow again and I love that.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Wait didn't you throw the Silencer into the muncher, then you still have it?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Fun fact about the Klobb. I was way into Goldeneye back in the day, enough so to test weapon damage and so forth. Most guns would do 1 bar of health/armor to a limb hit, 2 bars for a torso hit, and 4 bars for a head hit. There were a few guns that had a 2x multiplier to that damage, and one or two that had a 3x multiplier (I think like shotguns if you got all pellets to hit). The Klobb was the sole weapon that had a five-eighths multiplier. Not half, oh no. That would be too easy. Instead it did 5/8 of a bar on limb hit, 1-1/4 on torso hit, and 2-1/2 on head hits (which meant three head hits, if you could even manage that with its horrendous accuracy, would still barely not kill someone from full health, which was 8 bars). That is how lovely of a weapon it was designed to be, that they even made it a pain to nail down exactly how much damage it was doing.

(E: Also the original Klobb did not fire particularly fast, and had a 20 round mag as opposed to most other automatic weapons' 30. It was nice if you wanted to make your enemies do a hit-animation dance, though.)

SergZpartan posted:

Wait didn't you throw the Silencer into the muncher, then you still have it?

He considered it for a second and then threw the shotgrub in instead.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 26, 2017

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

So, hey, have you ever tried selling your Junk to the grate guy?

Because you should.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
You use the Wax Wings to cheat at Winchesters game and get the BSG, a gun which kills every enemy in the room with a single shot. You then proceed to clear every room down to the Dragun with the Witch Pistol. You then go down to Bullet Hell, openly state that it's not the place to conserve your ammo needlessly, then proceed to clear it out with all your guns other than the BSG besides one or two rooms.

Why must you do this? It's like getting Gunther out of a chest and then finishing the rest of the game with your starter pistol.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You use the Wax Wings to cheat at Winchesters game and get the BSG, a gun which kills every enemy in the room with a single shot. You then proceed to clear every room down to the Dragun with the Witch Pistol. You then go down to Bullet Hell, openly state that it's not the place to conserve your ammo needlessly, then proceed to clear it out with all your guns other than the BSG besides one or two rooms.

Why must you do this? It's like getting Gunther out of a chest and then finishing the rest of the game with your starter pistol.

The best thing I can think of to describe it is this:
Jade Star is doing XCOM 2 and he usually doesn't use a lot of his shitwrecker options. He calls it Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. As soon as you use your shitwrecker option, something will come along that will make you wish you saved it.

Saving your trump card for a moment where it will do the best good feels really good, until you die before you can use your trump card. I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT POINT YET.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Not only can you transmogrify big enemies with the wand weapons, you can also transmogrify the Grim Reaper invulnerable guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dscruffy1 posted:

Saving your trump card for a moment where it will do the best good feels really good, until you die before you can use your trump card. I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT POINT YET.

I just failed at the Bullet's past because I got cocky and tried to hang onto my blank for a little longer. Almost got im, too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

dscruffy1 posted:

The best thing I can think of to describe it is this:
Jade Star is doing XCOM 2 and he usually doesn't use a lot of his shitwrecker options. He calls it Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. As soon as you use your shitwrecker option, something will come along that will make you wish you saved it.

Sort of like me having an inventory full of megalixirs at the end of any given Final Fantasy game, then. Thing is, the BSG isn't really good against the giant threatening enemies and really shines clearing out giant rooms full of relatively weak enemies. I get why you're doing it, but it's not going to stop me from yelling at my screen when you're in that Bullet Hell room with every different type of Blobulon and using everything but the one option you have that would kill everything immediately.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

RPG Syndrome is a terrible disease that claims millions of runs every year. Seek help Scruffy. Use the Elixirs, fire the BSG, free yourself from the curse of over-preparedness while you still can!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So I looked up some synergies since you mentioned you thought they were there. The Thunderclap does indeed synergize the BSG, making it fire faster, and increasing player speed slightly, so that's nice.

Also LOL, if you get both the Klobbe and the AU gun (get it? It's a James Bond joke) the Klobbe they actually have negative synergy, both getting reductions in accuracy!

Finally, now that he's unlocked, the Robot is the guy I was alluding to earlier as being the best guy for spice runs, as his health isn't affected either way by it, negating one of the major penalties for high spice counts.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

RPG Syndrome is a terrible disease that claims millions of runs every year. Seek help Scruffy. Use the Elixirs, fire the BSG, free yourself from the curse of over-preparedness while you still can!

I was like that once. And then I played 300 hours of Witcher 3 on Deathmarch. It cured me. Now I use everything all the time. Elixirs? Fuckem. Magnum Ammo in RE? Saves time.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bliss Authority posted:

So, hey, have you ever tried selling your Junk to the grate guy?

Because you should.

That was changed. It now sells for crap.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Skippy I think you should call the brown chest only challenge What Can Brown Do For You?

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

mauman posted:

That was changed. It now sells for crap.

...So a mechanic that goes "sorry you didn't get any keys, here's fifty bucks" got removed? Really?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Choco1980 posted:

So I looked up some synergies since you mentioned you thought they were there. The Thunderclap does indeed synergize the BSG, making it fire faster, and increasing player speed slightly, so that's nice.

Also LOL, if you get both the Klobbe and the AU gun (get it? It's a James Bond joke) the Klobbe they actually have negative synergy, both getting reductions in accuracy!

Finally, now that he's unlocked, the Robot is the guy I was alluding to earlier as being the best guy for spice runs, as his health isn't affected either way by it, negating one of the major penalties for high spice counts.

the downside being that being restricted to armor only is really really unpleasant. the game is generally VERY stingy with armor compared to hearts and is more than happy to throw waves of heart container items at you which do absolutely nothing for the robot. They don't even give you a booby prize of one point of armor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, both secret unlocks in one game. That'll be some fun runs.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Put me in as another converter after seeing this LP.

I've been playing this game the past week struggling throughout, watching the LP videos has helped me a lot in progressing in the game. Going so far as to beating it this weekend, in fact, earlier today I got all the parts for the Time Gun and managed to complete the past for one character.

Thanks Scruffy :gbsmith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When I picked this up: "man, I'm dying before the first boss. I'm terrible at this game."
60 hours of play later: "man, I'm trying to do the Bullet's past, have made it to the Lich once but I keep dying on floor 4 or 5. I'm terrible at this game."

Standards shift.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have gone from not being able to get past the first boss reliably, to not being able to get past the second boss reliably. Progress?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The Klobbe does have one really good synergy, if you use the cog of battles active reload on the klobbe you get 10x normal damage on top of the normal +80%, 10* knockback, and 0 spread for the next clip.

My favorite synergies in the game have to be The Judge + Badge or Mailbox + Box both halve the magazine size of their respective guns. Which would be terrible on most guns except for those two it also means you get twice as many special final bullets so its a net positive.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CirclMastr posted:

I have gone from not being able to get past the first boss reliably, to not being able to get past the second boss reliably. Progress?

That's just the way it goes. Eventually you'll be beating the Dragun constantly and wondering why you ever died on early floors.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This run went pretty well but I've got to get my commenting mojo back. I just haven't felt it the last few runs. Also I almost died on the first floor!

A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cannon is by far the most 'chore' boss. He's really unfun to fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

This run went pretty well but I've got to get my commenting mojo back. I just haven't felt it the last few runs. Also I almost died on the first floor!

A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy

You had another chest, Scruffy. When the d-pad runs out of ammo it spawns one.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For the longest time I assumed that blasphemy gave you curse like the other melee weapons, but apparently it doesn't! I learned something today.

Also the Robot is essentially the Blue Baby of this game, if you've played Isaac. He's your "challenge" character, harder in this than in Isaac due to the game's stinginess punishing you way harder.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Bruceski posted:

Also, it has inputs!

Down, Right, fire shoots four high-damage fireballs.

Left, left, fire shoots a hookshot!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BTW Skippy, after four attempts I cleared the Bullet's past last night, thanks to the strategy of "unbridled aggression" from your stream. Once you stop treating his attacks like a hand grenade and learn the safe (-ish) spots you can get in a lot more hits. Thanks.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Bruceski posted:

BTW Skippy, after four attempts I cleared the Bullet's past last night, thanks to the strategy of "unbridled aggression" from your stream. Once you stop treating his attacks like a hand grenade and learn the safe (-ish) spots you can get in a lot more hits. Thanks.

Congrats! It turns out if you're polite to bosses you'll never win

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I cried a little inside from all those unstolen items when you had the box and the ring of mimic friendship

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Came here to say this ...

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I cried a little inside from all those unstolen items when you had the box and the ring of mimic friendship

... and this :v:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I don't know if my game is just glitched or what, but you said you unlock another enemy from beating the Bullet's past. I've died to Cannon 4 times now but if you're talking about shadow magician I've already killed it enough to get it's unlock. I think it's from killing it 10 times?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So how did the Bullet change its past? I mean, did it fail in the quest in the first place? Does that make this like the Convict, for whom the past is a case of 'there is no option but to change the past'? And if so, then how does Blasphemy do the 'bullet absorb' thing?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

berryjon posted:

So how did the Bullet change its past? I mean, did it fail in the quest in the first place? Does that make this like the Convict, for whom the past is a case of 'there is no option but to change the past'? And if so, then how does Blasphemy do the 'bullet absorb' thing?

Maybe he's just an old bullet, looking to relive his glory days when there weren't so gosh-darned many gungeoneers ruining everyone's fun. :bahgawd:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

berryjon posted:

The ammonomicon entries for Agunim and Cannon say something about Cannon getting beaten eventually anyway, but not after several hundred years of oppression. The Bullet was hoping to nip it in the bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

berryjon posted:

I assume that the Convict's failure in the past was that she didn't win the fight. She started it, but she couldn't win without the art of the dodgeroll that she learned in the Gungeon. So the way she doesn't change the past is if you fight her boss and lose.

• Locked thread