Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elyv posted:

I have some good news for you!

It's only $140 for a playset :suicide:

What the...
Well, time to sell the playset I bought 5 years ago for 4 € (1€ each one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I hope Bauble will get a reprint, I can't see it being printed anywhere else honestly outside of a MM set. So far the reprints have been right on target

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bauble wasn't really played till like 8-9 months ago so they might have not had enough lead time to put it in this set...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It was already $10 when DTK came out

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/4172

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm looking forward to Bloodghast or Death's Shadow being kicked up to mythic rare and Liliana of the Veil is absent from the set.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
It had its first appearance with that terrible Esper Delve list Chapin played at PT Fate Reforged in Feb of 2015 and had its first spike up to ~$10, later in the year (September?) he played it in his more successful Temur Prowess deck and it spiked up to nearly $30. So possibly it could be included if they targeted it based on the esper delve list and price jump, but the more successful prowess list is probably too late, right?

Star Man posted:

I'm looking forward to Bloodghast or Death's Shadow being kicked up to mythic rare and Liliana of the Veil is absent from the set.

I think that would be a pretty glaring omission from the set, but I could see them passing on it if they plan on putting it into Amonkhet. They had been talking about putting it in a standard set recently I believe?

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 28, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

I think that would be a pretty glaring omission from the set, but I could see them passing on it if they plan on putting it into Amonkhet. They had been talking about putting it in a standard set recently I believe?

It was rumored to have been in M15 early on, but got switched out at the last minute for OG Lili when Mono Black Devotion turned out to be a top-tier deck in RTR-THS Standard (and they could make the switch without goofing up the set order). I thought someone at Wizards corroborated the rumor but maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 28, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

C-Euro posted:

It was rumored to have been in M15 early on, but got switched out for a weaker Lili PW when Mono Black Devotion turned out to be a top-tier deck in RTR-THS Standard. I thought someone at Wizards corroborated the rumor but maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

They did confirm it. They also just revealed Damnation was going to be in the set before being cut for the same reason. Would have been glorious/disastrous.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

C-Euro posted:

It was rumored to have been in M15 early on, but got switched out at the last minute for OG Lili when Mono Black Devotion turned out to be a top-tier deck in RTR-THS Standard (and they could make the switch without goofing up the set order). I thought someone at Wizards corroborated the rumor but maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

Confirmed here --- check out the Siege Rhino section http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/pillar-never-was-2015-04-03

If it isn't in Modern Masters the price is going to get completely out of control fast and people without the card already are going to be SOL

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It still slays me that a mono-black deck that people were clamoring for finally came to them and everyone cried bloody murder over it.

Dehtraen posted:

Thoughtseize was omitted from Modern Masters in 2013 and there was some outrage over that, but it was printed in Theros. Liliana of the Veil does not strike me as a card that they would do the same with in Amonkhet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

It still slays me that a mono-black deck that people were clamoring for finally came to them and everyone cried bloody murder over it.

Because it stopped being a weird meme gimmick deck and became a T1 list. They jumped on Murdergoats to keep memeing anew.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

Thoughtseize was omitted from Modern Masters in 2013 and there was some outrage over that, but it was printed in Theros. Liliana of the Veil does not strike me as a card that they would do the same with in Amonkhet.

Because it comprised like 50% of the format

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because it stopped being a weird meme gimmick deck and became a T1 list. They jumped on Murdergoats to keep memeing anew.

I thought it was some desire to return to the glory days of mono-black when Cabal Coffers was in Type 2. Or was there not a mono-black deck either?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wasn't Mono Black a powerful Standard deck from when Torment got Cabal Coffers? I was always under the impression that people liked it because it was a deck composed mostly of uncommons, not mono-rares, which made it not cost too much?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jenx posted:

Wasn't Mono Black a powerful Standard deck from when Torment got Cabal Coffers? I was always under the impression that people liked it because it was a deck composed mostly of uncommons, not mono-rares, which made it not cost too much?

Yeah I think Mutilate, and maybe Ichorid were the only rares in that deck IIRC? Otherwise it was all stuff like Corrupt, Mind Sludge, Chainer's Edict, Cabal Ritual, etc. A fun, inexpensive deck the likes of which we won't see again any time soon, most likely.

Edit: vvvv holy poo poo you're right. I can't imagine WOTC printing Coffers at that rarity now.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 28, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Even Coffers was uncommon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've only been playing since Shards of Alara, so my pet cheap deck for Standard will always be ALA-ZEN Red Deck Wins.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They're not going to put Liliana of the Veil in Standard because why would they do that

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jenx posted:

The Theros T1 decks were probably the cheapest in the past 8 years.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

They said that when they were explaining how Siege Rhino came to be - at the time it got designed Liliana of the Veil was still in M15 so they had to tweak it.

It was originally:

Siege Rhino
WBG
Creature – Beast
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard CARDNAME, put it onto the battlefield instead of putting it into your graveyard.
3/4

But then they removed Liliana and FFL got really scared of a card called First Response and they added Trample so it would go over the tokens created by that card (which ended up getting mana-bloated to the point it didn't see play)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 1, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I would kill to go back to Oddysey-era standard

I could cast Counterspell then....

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cabal Ritual and Ichorid were stone unplayable in MBC.

The rares I remember in the deck were Mutilate, Nantuko Shade, Laquatus' Champion, Haunting Echoes, and maybe some other finishers. There was also another monoblack deck floating around the edges that we called monoblack aggro but in retrospect was more of midrange and it had some other rare dudes, like that one 1BBB guy (I would look him up but I'm on my phone)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

The rares I remember in the deck were Mutilate, Nantuko Shade, Laquatus' Champion, Haunting Echoes, and maybe some other finishers. There was also another monoblack deck floating around the edges that we called monoblack aggro but in retrospect was more of midrange and it had some other rare dudes, like that one 1BBB guy (I would look him up but I'm on my phone)

?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Nantuko Shade! Now there was a chase rare if I ever saw one. A buddy of mine in HS traded for a signed copy, and when I asked him what it took to pick that one up all he said was "my soul" :allears: Good times.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, Shade was super expensive at the time! It was, like, £15! Who can pay that much for a card outside of Vintage? Christ, im sure aome cards, like Black Lotus and the Moxen were even a couple hundred dollars!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This card terrifies me

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Oracle Text posted:

When Shambling Swarm dies, distribute three -1/-1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures. For each -1/-1 counter you put on a creature this way, remove a -1/-1 counter from that creature at the beginning of the next end step.

Was there really no way to make it do it's thing with just "-1/-1(s) until EOT"?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mehall posted:

Yeah, Shade was super expensive at the time! It was, like, £15! Who can pay that much for a card outside of Vintage? Christ, im sure aome cards, like Black Lotus and the Moxen were even a couple hundred dollars!

There are a lot of cards that I really regret not buying for like, $4-10 back in the day. But who would ever want to spend that much on magic???

I miss that block. I started playing in Odyssey, such a fun block. Not as fun as Onslaught or Mirrodin though

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

Was there really no way to make it do it's thing with just "-1/-1(s) until EOT"?

If the card had +1/+1 counters on it, the loss of those counters is permanent.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

drat Beehive Mummy. Now I can't sleep.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

at the time, counters didn't destroy each other

mehall posted:

Since then annual tournament attendance has nearly quadrupled. Crazy to think about how the game has changed since then

vvvv they weren't thinking about that when they designed it, either

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

evilweasel posted:

Ah, of course. Weird, edge-case functionality. I didn't think about that rule when I read it.

That kind of thing is usually what Magic is all about for me honestly.

Shambling Swarm reprint for Amonkeht plz.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's the first Mtg "shambler" I distinctly remember.

Yes, there's a bunch http://magiccards.info/query?q=shambl&v=card&s=cname

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Ah, of course. Weird, edge-case functionality. I didn't think about that rule when I read it.

That kind of thing is usually what Magic is all about for me honestly.

At the time that didn't actually happen. You just had both. It's weird templating because they couldn't figure out how to make it say that if you only targeted 1 guy he got -3/-3./

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I mean, Amonkhet will have -1/-1 counters, so

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

At the time that didn't actually happen. You just had both. It's weird templating because they couldn't figure out how to make it say that if you only targeted 1 guy he got -3/-3./

I suppose the reason it's templated like that is because the text is shorter with the counters version than it is to do it modally*, which would read:
Choose one:
- Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn
- Target creature gets -2/2 until end of turn and another target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn
- Three target creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn

*NOTE: This way of doing things modally didn't show up until way later. They used to do the modes with in-line text. See: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=25863&type=card

Though I think in Ravnica they figured out you could template it like
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn

They didn't have poo poo down as tight back then when it came to templating stuff

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Angry Grimace posted:

At the time that didn't actually happen. You just had both. It's weird templating.

It still mattered for other counters-matter things, though.

Well, the similarly-templated +1/+1 counters pump spell mattered, I'm not sure if there was anything that looked for -1/-1 counters.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the only counter synergy that existed at the time of printing was Giant Fan, but nonetheless they try not to change functionality with errata. The cleanest way to do what they wanted to do is probably the Seeds of Strength templating, but they possibly hadn't come up with it, it still looks really weird, and Odyssey still had a few "eh, they know what we mean" types of templating that existed at the dawn of Magic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I would kill to go back to Oddysey-era standard

I could cast Counterspell then....

If WotC figures out how to play cards in test games on their own client, then the Invasion/Odyssey and Odyssey/Onslaught standard formats are incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Huey and Cueno Pantheon talks are great

http://www.pantheonmagic.com/huey-and-andrew-cover-bluffing-in-limited/
http://www.pantheonmagic.com/huey-and-andrew-talk-about-standard/

• Locked thread