Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

Getting real tired of all these exclusives.

FWIW Oculus seems to be actively warming up (at least, they're saying they are) to making sure things remain open - https://uploadvr.com/jason-rubin-vr-exclusivity-open-platform-never-created-one-company/

Making the mic sound better doesn't seem like too much but if they weren't fine with ReVive working for their stuff they probably wouldn't even be talking about helping out. I agree that exclusives suck but I still think they're a necessary evil at this point, and as long as the workaround keeps working I think this is the best we can expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Amused Frog posted:

This is probably more about trashing on the competition and as soon as Oculus has a wireless solution (especially at a higher resolution) they'll be all over it.

Well, as part of a business you're not really inclined to say "this feature that's currently exclusive to our competitors is really neat!". You can go back and read their messaging on tracked controllers for a strong sense of deja vu.

I don't think we'll really know how good the Vive wireless is until it's out in the wild, but I'm cautiously optimistic. And even if it's not quite there yet there's still a lot of room to improve it by adding a little processing power on the headset side.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Another company announced they'd be showing a wireless Vive kit at GDC, also.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
The main thing stopping me is the price (needs to be at least half what it is now, jesus) and the wires; resolve either of those and this is doable. Higher resolution is the exact loving opposite of what I need :(

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Poetic Justice posted:

Well, the masses aren't buying VR because of the price and content, so I don't think he''s exactly wrong. Adding another mandatory $250 to the base price of a headset doesn't seem like the right thing to do right now, I'd agree with him on that. Have it be an optional 3rd party accessory for people that want it.

I agree with his reasoning, but I still really hope there's a big breakthrough for wireless transmission in time for Gen 2 so we can have both higher resolution headsets and no cord.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gorn, H3VR and Audioshield dominate my motion VR time, and I've gotten deep into Elite: Dangerous for hours at a time, especially in conjunction with Open VR overlay giving me a cinema screen in my ship to watch movies on.

GORN is just plain satisfying and I'm still utterly shocked no other VR game to date handles melee as well as it does. Despite the wacky flailing men having fairly routine AI, there's still tons of necessity to perform dynamic combat moves such as parrying, blocking and dodging while manuvering for that one perfect attack. For a relatively simple and limited demo (I'm not in the closed beta) it's incredibly repayable and fun.

I'm actively waiting for PCVR support to come to Resident Evil 7, as much as I want to play the game I'd much rather have my first time in VR and I've heard it's a hell of a ride.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Songbearer posted:

I'm actively waiting for PCVR support to come to Resident Evil 7, as much as I want to play the game I'd much rather have my first time in VR and I've heard it's a hell of a ride.

It's absolutely worth waiting.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Songbearer posted:

Gorn, H3VR and Audioshield dominate my motion VR time, and I've gotten deep into Elite: Dangerous for hours at a time, especially in conjunction with Open VR overlay giving me a cinema screen in my ship to watch movies on.

Is that open VR overlay thing still a goddamn nightmare to set up? I tried setting it up back in like October but just couldn't get it to work right.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

Without them there would be nothing at gdc...

The real issue is that the Ayn Rand SteamVR dream isn't working.

Is a man not entitled to a Vive on his brow?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Is that open VR overlay thing still a goddamn nightmare to set up? I tried setting it up back in like October but just couldn't get it to work right.

Yeah, it still is, although after you got it set up once it works fairly reliably. The author has stopped updating the free version, and is working on putting an improved paid version on Steam.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lemming posted:

FWIW Oculus seems to be actively warming up (at least, they're saying they are) to making sure things remain open - https://uploadvr.com/jason-rubin-vr-exclusivity-open-platform-never-created-one-company/

Making the mic sound better doesn't seem like too much but if they weren't fine with ReVive working for their stuff they probably wouldn't even be talking about helping out. I agree that exclusives suck but I still think they're a necessary evil at this point, and as long as the workaround keeps working I think this is the best we can expect

Quoting this for posterity. Anyone who thinks Oculus isn't trying their hardest to move towards a walled-garden model is kidding themselves. ReVive works now, but you can bet your butt Oculus will kill it eventually if they do decide to stick with Hardware production.

If Oculus ditches the hardware angle and just tries to become a platform competitive with Steam that would be best for everyone because then they'd be encouraged to open their software up to all HMD's. But if they keep focussing on hardware they will use exclusivity and walled-garden nonsense to both drive consumers to their headset and then lock them into a walled-garden.

This isn't a conspiracy or anti-Oculus post, its just a reality of business.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
And with that, we seem to have run the gamut of old-school console warriorism. I hope.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

And with that, we seem to have run the gamut of old-school console warriorism. I hope.

Don't worry, it will literally never stop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

haveblue posted:

So call it OpenVR ES then

It's supposed to be an API for both VR and AR applications, so calling it OpenXR isn't the worst name. That same basic logic is why DirectX is called DirectX, after all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So... anyone fancy playing some Pavlov VR? Add me on steam "hkfalken"

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Falken posted:

So... anyone fancy playing some Pavlov VR? Add me on steam "hkfalken"

Do you live in Hong Kong by any chance? That would make the pings nice and low.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Anyone with an oculus have audioshield working? Most of the sources on the internet say it works fine for them but for me the screen just goes completely black when the gameplay starts. Without official oculus support I can't really ask for help on their forums.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hamshot posted:

Anyone with an oculus have audioshield working? Most of the sources on the internet say it works fine for them but for me the screen just goes completely black when the gameplay starts. Without official oculus support I can't really ask for help on their forums.

I've played a lot of Audioshield on my Rift. Works great.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Works fine for me as well.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

A few games that seem to have not been mentioned yet but I have seen roll into the Steam store. Especially those wanting something like Cook Server Delicious. What about..:

VR The Diner DUO

OneManVurgeR

and not Cooking but VR RPG related Trixter VR Looks pretty neat.

Also.. Still cannot wait for Wireless VR to use with my Omni... That is the only thing that holds me back from using it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can vouch for Diner Duo, me and ~*my girlfriend*~ play it occasionally and it's great fun. The initial levels can be a little tepid, especially if you're playing as waiter on the PC, but when the action ramps up and the serving robot has more plates to spin it's intense on both ends.

Yelling "THERE'S NO KETCHUP ON THIS BURGER WHERE'S THE KETCHUP THE BURGER IS RUINED, RUINED!" at her while she's desperately trying to stop burgers from burning on the grill is great fun, and in the game as well

Also I spent 10 minutes slicing a gherkin onto a plate until I had made a sixteen foot tall gherkin sword and used it to bat a ball around that was beyond my reach while she begged me to stop

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hopefully this LG headset is the best yet. Computers seem to be getting pretty beastly at the top end and could run some insane quality.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oculus 1.12 is out BTW. I was actually having good tracking with 1.11 but it seems 100% rock solid now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pavlov is currently $6 on steam for an entire week; even if the game is super mediocre it's worth picking up for that price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a list anywhere of which games are cross platform multiplayer and which aren't?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Its not console-warriorism its the only path to profit, which is something a business will do. The only reason Valve isn't doing this is because they are positioning themselves out of hardware and just want to be the distribution platform, its a secondary effect that its beneficial for the user.

I mean if this thread doesn't want to discuss the ramifications of exclusivity/walled-garden and how it will be a negative for the consumer at the end of the day because it may be seen as console-fanboyism so be it. Sure exclusivity may promote a few titles to be created where none otherwise would exist but its laying the groundwork for a fundamental divide via hardware exclusivity that hasn't happened since Glide. And you can bet VR isn't going anywhere independent of exclusive funding.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 1, 2017

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Knifegrab posted:

Its not console-warriorism its the only path to profit, which is something a business will do. The only reason Valve isn't doing this is because they are positioning themselves out of hardware and just want to be the distribution platform, its a secondary effect that its beneficial for the user.

I mean if this thread doesn't want to discuss the ramifications of exclusivity/walled-garden and how it will be a negative for the consumer at the end of the day because it may be seen as console-fanboyism so be it. Sure exclusivity may promote a few titles to be created where none otherwise would exist but its laying the groundwork for a fundamental divide via hardware exclusivity that hasn't happened since Glide. And you can bet VR isn't going anywhere independent of exclusive funding.

Actually this is something I was just talking about elsewhere, do you think the OEM headsets Microsoft's backing are going to have any effect?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Nobody wants to talk about it anymore because we've had that discussion in this thread more than any other single topic, everything there is to say about it has been said, it brings out the words kind of posting on all sides, and it's a boring rear end topic anyway that always, inevitably devolves into console warrioring regardless of how it started.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pavlov is super cool but I had to nope right out of it in about 10 minutes because I feel like I might hurl. This is why game developers stick with teleportation.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

Nobody wants to talk about it anymore because we've had that discussion in this thread more than any other single topic, everything there is to say about it has been said, it brings out the words kind of posting on all sides, and it's a boring rear end topic anyway that always, inevitably devolves into console warrioring regardless of how it started.

You out doing this weird pre-anti-people-who-I-think-are-console-warriors is worse than this proposed (but hasn't happened yet) argument you are putting forth imho

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

Actually this is something I was just talking about elsewhere, do you think the OEM headsets Microsoft's backing are going to have any effect?

I'm going to assume you're talking about hololens in which case the argument shifts a bit towards AR. I think ultimately AR and VR will merge with a single headset capable of doing both, some form of backlayer the can turn transparent at will to allow for AR or black out to lock the user into VR only.

I think AR is going to win out at the end of the day, with AR having broad reaching capabilities while VR remains niche (video games, simulations, cinematic experiences). AR will be a real game changer. Being able to work on simulated desktops while still being aware of my enviornment around me is huge, and a lot of companies like the promise of VR but don't like the isolation it promotes.

I don't think its going to be soon though, VR is going to hit a good price-performance ration much quicker than AR will. I don't even think AR technologies will be refined or standardized until considerably after VR has it sorted out. In my mind AR will borrow many technologies from VR and further enhance them, while augmenting them with new or existing technologies VR ultimately is indiffernet towards.

I think its really important to have a juggernaut like Microsoft taking the reigns on AR because it is a very tough problem. The only worry is if Microsoft ends up writing AR off after some period, it is likely to scare others further away. VR can exist on its own due to the niche covering individuals with somewhat expendable purses, AR does not have that advantage, it needs to leverage enterprise solutions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He was probably talking about the VR headsets Microsoft wants to be made to be sold for about $300.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

KakerMix posted:

You out doing this weird pre-anti-people-who-I-think-are-console-warriors is worse than this proposed (but hasn't happened yet) argument you are putting forth imho

To be fair for a long time I was anti-Oculus for a number of reasons (many of which I still think are valid). I prefer the Vive now but appreciate the competition, and having used the rift do see its values. Its controllers are top notch, and for the most part it handles everything very well. Its good to have competition. But exclusivity is toxic for the PC community as a whole. I'm not Anti-Oculus I'm just pro-consumer and I think there is a legitimate conversation that can be had without devolving to brand loyalty/attacking.

Also Lemming is an idiot.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

He was probably talking about the VR headsets Microsoft wants to be made to be sold for about $300.

And they are being introduced at this GDC I believe, yeah? Personally, I'm excited for them -- for 300 dollars I don't expect to get anything coming close to the rift or a vive, but that is a great price point for a device released during the first generation. With one of those so I can dip my toe into the VR pond and decide whether it's something I should invest in further come gen. 2 or 3.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I have my doubts. Imo badly done VR is worse than no VR at all. I feel like at this point in VR's life, $300 headsets are probably not very robust, or lack in some significant way. Since VR for the next couple years will be introductory for most everyone who tries it, delivering quality to cost I think is preferable.

If however Microsoft due to their supply chains, and ties to manufacturing can produce a rift-like quality HMD, that does roomscale or at least standing tracking with good resolution, then it will be great. I would assume since it would be microsoft too that they would start pushing for VR standards, though its also possible they try and implement their own DirectVR bullshit. Hopefully the former but the latter doesn't inherently mean we'll be locked out of content, and microsoft is unlikely to fund development for only their titles after their intiial gate release (as it related to their past product launches). Its unlikely they'll pursue VR for their console too based on recent trends but the Xbox's development has always been a bit hectic so I wouldn't completely count it out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fooz posted:

Hopefully this LG headset is the best yet. Computers seem to be getting pretty beastly at the top end and could run some insane quality.

I think expecting "the best" out of a company that's not really known for anything in VR is probably going too far. Could they have a skunkworks project they haven't been talking about until now? Sure. Do I think that's realistic versus just building an OLED display device (something LG is big in these days) in to a headset with Valve's tech handling the hard parts? No.

I'm just hoping for good. If it can be not actively lovely and priced reasonably it'll be a solid shot in the battle against exclusives. The more legitimate competition using open APIs the worse of a business plan it becomes to take the payoff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Knifegrab posted:

The only reason Valve isn't doing this is because they are positioning themselves out of hardware and just want to be the distribution platform, its a secondary effect that its beneficial for the user.

You mean the Valve that just started selling the gen 2 lighthouses directly to the users, is actively developing new controller hardware in house, and has their own controller?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

wolrah posted:

I think expecting "the best" out of a company that's not really known for anything in VR is probably going too far. Could they have a skunkworks project they haven't been talking about until now? Sure. Do I think that's realistic versus just building an OLED display device (something LG is big in these days) in to a headset with Valve's tech handling the hard parts? No.

I'm just hoping for good. If it can be not actively lovely and priced reasonably it'll be a solid shot in the battle against exclusives. The more legitimate competition using open APIs the worse of a business plan it becomes to take the payoff.

That's probably right, but they've got a late mover advantage. It might not be too hard for them to have cut bulk out of the PSVR design and put some nice parts in there. LG is also a company 4 times the size of HTC so their manufacturing chain could be a big advantage.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bhodi posted:

Pavlov is currently $6 on steam for an entire week; even if the game is super mediocre it's worth picking up for that price.

It's far from super mediore. Also I just picked up Trixter VR due to EdEddnEddy's recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Hamshot posted:

I had to stop using the SteamVR beta. Both audio shield and Pavlov kept randomly going to a black loading screen in the headset although on the screen mirroring was still showing the game. Switching out of the SteamVR beta branch fixed it.