Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Sportsmobile-CUSTOM-DESIGN-120615319

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

apparently there is a toilet in there. :aaaaa:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Guess I should add a Samurai to the list of cars I should have never sold, prices are drat crazy, when I got mine in the 90's I bought it because i couldn't afford a Jeep now it's the other way around :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That car has better hair than I will ever have

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bud K ninja sword posted:

In the picture? Yes, yes there is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I just hope the window is safety glass.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I just hope the window is safety glass.

What does your heart tell you?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Castro :3:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

probably just sprays the waste out like a Bond car oil slick

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

+

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Canadian Craigslist brings you... the chrome NSX.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1997-chrome-nsx/1241387227?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I was honestly expecting this to be listed for > 100k.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sadly would. after rattlecanning it black.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It says wrap, presumably you could just take it off?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alarbus posted:

It says wrap, presumably you could just take it off?

ooh nice.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If NSX are not cheap what is the point. You can buy an R8 cheaper. Go buy an R8.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Elephanthead posted:

If NSX are not cheap what is the point. You can buy an R8 cheaper. Go buy an R8.

Because the NSX is good as all heck. I'm sure the R8 is too but the NSX is special.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KakerMix posted:

Because the NSX is good as all heck. I'm sure the R8 is too but the NSX is special.

truth.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just sit on a stack of 500 $100 bills in my miata.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Nineteen Eighties

"twin stick" double shifter

wtf is a 'caravelle' some kind of pastry?

Wonder if I can find a new Omni/Horizon to list every week

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I didn't know Grover designed RVs. :grovertoot:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6015144436.html

That's a lot of money down the toilet if that was a real Nomad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Nineteen Eighties

Don't make me move to Florida. Neither one of us will like what happens next.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/6015144436.html

That's a lot of money down the toilet if that was a real Nomad.

It say it was an older build so probably a $1500 car at the time.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

I'm on vacation in Tampa right now and I really wanna just drive this fucker home to PA

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I'm on vacation in Tampa right now and I really wanna just drive this fucker home to PA

Every time I look at this sort of stuff I want them. I want that one, that two stick Champ, that Lancer, that Jeep. My favorite is probably that blue 80s Datsun truck.
What I am saying is of course you should get that and drive it back home. You'd be the only one for many miles around I'd wager.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
And in 2 years there would be none again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

VideoTapir posted:

And in 2 years there would be none again.

But for those two years......

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I've made worse decisions.... I drove a rental car 1000 miles to buy a 1984 mercedes sight unseen off some redneck on craigslist. Did the trip with slow_is_fast and my fiancee, we're all still friends, DO IT.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
Speaking of bad decisions, guy down the block from me is selling a 97 A4 (2.8) for under a thousand bucks. It's very much a ticking time bomb, as it has 103k miles and still on the original timing belt (supposed to be replaced every 75k). It's a 5 speed, shifts into every gear just fine although the clutch is a little tired, power everything still works fine, interior is leather but banged up with rips in the drivers seat, and it has a roof rack (noteworthy on a sub $1000 car!). Tires are good, brakes are good, control arms were done 10k miles ago.

It's a 2 owner car and has lived the past 8 years in Brooklyn, so it's a little rough around the edges with some dings here and there but that doesn't bother me.

I desperately need some kind of runaround car for the next few months as I plan a wedding and have a few other things going on, but I honestly don't see myself putting more than 500-1000 miles on it in the next few months that I need it for. Do I go for it, under the assumption that I can recoup most of that money simply scrapping it out when it inevitably dies? It sounds awful and wasteful, but I'm not particularly interested in putting another 1500+ in this car to replace the clutch and timing belt to keep it alive. Or do I just use those few hundred bucks and rent cars from car sharing services when I need them?

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 1, 2017

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It would definitely be smarter to rent cars with that money. You won't make any money by junking it because scrap prices are in the toilet right now, and it doesn't sound like there are very many parts on it worth reselling. Plus, if it's that far overdue for a timing belt you're playing Russian roulette with the engine every time you turn the key.

If you get it for next to nothing, have the timing belt done, and ignore the clutch you might be able to sell it and break even/take a small loss once you're done with it, but that's the best case scenario.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If I were 20, broke, had some tools & tons of spare time, I'd say go for it. Now I have more income but less spare time, and I'm less inclined to spend nights after work in the driveway fixing a jalopy to get it running by the weekend. If you've got some non-negotiable adult stuff coming up, you'd be better served throwing ~$1k away on Ubers & rentals than a potential time bomb. But that's just my opinion!

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll sit this one out. It was a good reminder that I'm just not set up for things like this here so it would inevitably be more headache than was worth it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The only time I've ever made that sort of decision is when the motor/brakes were manageable. Oil leaks, coolant leaks and body stuff you can live with but if you bought the car and the timing belt broke right away it's a really lovely deal. I'm sure you can find a sub $1500 car that will do just fine for what you have planned.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah you have the right idea, just the wrong car. Get the cheapest Corolla or Civic you can afford, sell it when you're done and get your money back or more.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah you have the right idea, just the wrong car. Get the cheapest Corolla or Civic you can afford, sell it when you're done and get your money back or more.

Doesn't even have to be that. The Audi would probably be OK for his needs if not for the timing belt. The odds are good that just about any car in decent shape will be able to go 500-1000 miles without anything major falling off.

I don't think renting will fit his needs very well from what he described.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Two years in Lompoc. I'll die before I go back.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

how does a front windshield of a car just go "missing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Octopus Magic posted:

how does a front windshield of a car just go "missing"

Theft or opps broke dads poo poo going to throw it away and pretend like I know nothing.