Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

It's so tempting to get on tinder or something but I'm pretty sure she'd chop my dick off and kill me so :effort: god if I was single :(

Don't be that guy- personal ethics aside, it's undue stress and can really screw up your travel time. Why not find a cheapish Sunday return and fly the GF out for a weekend? I do the OMA-SFO-OMA circular and can usually swing a decent deal if I call the hotel ahead of time and add on 2 nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

Marry her so you can have less sex and more hotel points.

been working great for me so far!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

DJCobol posted:

The only time I've slept on a plane is going to Germany. I took off from ATL at like 6:00 pm, and after dinner and a couple drinks until the Ambien kicked in, I think I ended up sleeping about 5.5 of the 8 hour flight to Munich. Worked out nice, because it was right around 8:00 am when we landed, and although I wasn't 100% awake, it was a LOT better than trying to go a full vacation day with zero sleep.

Seriously kids, get you some ambien and some woodford reserve. That poo poo will put ANYONE down for a nap.

Oktoberfest?? :smug:

Waroduce posted:

It's so tempting to get on tinder or something but I'm pretty sure she'd chop my dick off and kill me so :effort: god if I was single :(

If I had a dollar for every lonely business traveler in a hotel room by himself on Tinder, I'd be rich!!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm flying AA tomorrow and a buddy of mine who is EXP gifted me an expiring SWU which cleared shortly before OLCI today. So I'm in F whilst my boss and three peers are in coach.

If you're flying to DFW and see four people in a row give a guy in F the finger, say hi. :3:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Don't be that guy- personal ethics aside, it's undue stress and can really screw up your travel time. Why not find a cheapish Sunday return and fly the GF out for a weekend? I do the OMA-SFO-OMA circular and can usually swing a decent deal if I call the hotel ahead of time and add on 2 nights.

We do that when I go somewhere worth it. I'll be in Denver for the first time in two weeks and I'm pretty stoked. I'm open to suggestions for restaurants and stuff if anyone's got em?

And no personally I'm not about that life

E: currently connecting through CLT for the second time in two weeks. I'll be back mid March.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I'm flying AA tomorrow and a buddy of mine who is EXP gifted me an expiring SWU which cleared shortly before OLCI today. So I'm in F whilst my boss and three peers are in coach.

If you're flying to DFW and see four people in a row give a guy in F the finger, say hi. :3:

wow, an swu cleared before the gate...what poo poo route are you on?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Christmas 2015 and Oktoberfest 2016. I love Christkindlmarkts and glühwein. I also love authentic German beer maß and getting wrecked with tourists from all over the world.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

wow, an swu cleared before the gate...what poo poo route are you on?

CLT-DFW, living the high life. :boom:

SWU cleared about three minutes before OLCI began and I had to have my friend who sponsored the SWU call the EXP desk to get the ticket sync'd so I could actually check in. :rolleyes:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

Christmas 2015 and Oktoberfest 2016. I love Christkindlmarkts and glühwein. I also love authentic German beer maß and getting wrecked with tourists from all over the world.

Me three. Headed to Munich, Vienna, and Salzburg next week with some friends who have never been to Europe before. There will be so much good beer... :D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Melatonin does the trick for me

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

As someone who does SYD - SFO and SYD - SIN a lot im window for life. I don't need to get up on long haul flights. Best seat is definitely the window seat without an actual window as the pillow really sits nicely against that wall without slipping.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I figured I woulda gotten over the childlike fascination with looking out the window on an airplane like literally every single other adult in the universe but I haven't at all. Really bums me out and lowers my flight experience substantially when the weather is crap and you can't see anything.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

Me three. Headed to Munich, Vienna, and Salzburg next week with some friends who have never been to Europe before. There will be so much good beer... :D

Drink an Augustiner Helles for me. I've been trying my hardest to find a place in the US to get an acceptable substitute but haven't found one yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I figured I woulda gotten over the childlike fascination with looking out the window on an airplane like literally every single other adult in the universe but I haven't at all. Really bums me out and lowers my flight experience substantially when the weather is crap and you can't see anything.

Yeah I had an awesome flight in beautiful weather out of Boston on Sunday and was glued to the window during the whole climb-out.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Pryor on Fire posted:

i get irrationally angry when any window within my field of view is closed on flights. what if we fly by a lake or mountain or something??

also i fly seattle - san francisco all the time and i will never get tired of looking at crater lake or rainer

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fists Up posted:

As someone who does SYD - SFO and SYD - SIN a lot im window for life. I don't need to get up on long haul flights. Best seat is definitely the window seat without an actual window as the pillow really sits nicely against that wall without slipping.

I agree on window but you should get up a couple of times or at least once

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I had an awesome flight in beautiful weather out of Boston on Sunday and was glued to the window during the whole climb-out.

The autistic part of me loves flying in/out of Chicago at night because of how well you can see the city grid lit up.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 28, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

The autistic part of me loves flying in/out of Chicago at night because of well you can see the city grid lit up.

:agreed: The skyscrapers downtown also look incredible at night

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like LA for that purpose because the transition from the foothills/mountains to the city is very abrupt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like LA for that purpose because the transition from the foothills/mountains to the city is very abrupt.

Just about any city is cool to look at when coming in at night. I like San Francisco when Sutro Tower is the only thing poking through the fog.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
There's an approach into Newark that runs from north to south parallel to Manhattan that was breathtaking at night.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

opposable thumbs.db posted:

There's an approach into Newark that runs from north to south parallel to Manhattan that was breathtaking at night.

Yeah, but its super depressing too, knowing that you are going into Newark.

Only pro about Newark is I can usually give the finger to MetLife Stadium. gently caress the Jets.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fists Up posted:

I hate window seats without a window because they're basically middle seats since you're missing the extra shoulder space you normally get from a window.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Drink an Augustiner Helles for me. I've been trying my hardest to find a place in the US to get an acceptable substitute but haven't found one yet.

My grocery story in flyover country sells about a half dozen different types of Augistiner beers, I bet you could find it if you looked hard enough. I know some distributor is importing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

gently caress the Jets.

concur

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Atlanta to LaGuardia also takes a parallel approach to Manhattan sometimes and it's absolutely stunning if the conditions are right

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i fly airplanes posted:

Atlanta to LaGuardia also takes a parallel approach to Manhattan sometimes and it's absolutely stunning if the conditions are right

One time I did IND-LGA and the plane came from the south and flew up the Hudson before turning over Westchester and coming back to the airport. Would have been awesome if I had been sitting on the right side of the plane, but I was on the left so I just got the Palisades and Queens.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I also recall flying HKG-NRT on an extremely clear day and seeing Mt. Fuji, Yokohama, Tokyo Bay, and the whole Boso Peninsula out the window on approach. It really looked like one of the later stages of a Katamari game.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I always enjoy flying back home to Sydney as often you snake up the coast along the royal national park and have sandstone cliffs. Other times you come straight over the harbour past the opera house and harbour bridge.

Agree that if you get the right path across Manhattan it's pretty amazing.

Also shoutout to Queenstown, NZ for the sheer drop you sometimes do coming over the mountains into the airport.

Thoguh posted:

I hate window seats without a window because they're basically middle seats since you're missing the extra shoulder space you normally get from a window.

I think it's dependant on the plane. On an A380 I don't notice a difference as there's a fairly big gap between the seat and the side of the plane anyway. On a narrow body plane it's usually pretty poo poo and I definitely do want a window if I don't need to sleep.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 1, 2017

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I like the north approach to LGA, because it always has me wondering for the final 30 seconds if this will be the time we land in the water.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

No, gently caress concur

:haw:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Fists Up posted:

I always enjoy flying back home to Sydney as often you snake up the coast along the royal national park and have sandstone cliffs. Other times you come straight over the harbour past the opera house and harbour bridge.

Sydney is amazing for views, especially since all the international flights come in at sunrise from the curfew. The approach in the morning is also usually always the same to minimize noise, but it always ends up with a fantastic landing. Always always always take the left side of the plane if flying to Sydney.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

the talent deficit posted:

also i fly seattle - san francisco all the time and i will never get tired of looking at crater lake or rainer

I'd argue that SEA - SFO is the most visually impressive route in the US. All them cascade volcanos, tahoe, crater lake, the badlands in oregon, drat. I also like to play "spot sutter buttes", because it's the smallest mountain range in the world :science:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dreadite posted:

I'd argue that SEA - SFO is the most visually impressive route in the US. All them cascade volcanos, tahoe, crater lake, the badlands in oregon, drat. I also like to play "spot sutter buttes", because it's the smallest mountain range in the world :science:

peeping buttes on the plane, very nice

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Dreadite posted:

DEN - STL has gotta be the least. so much corn

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the talent deficit posted:

DEN - STL has gotta be the least. so much corn

MSP - OKC is right there with it then. At least with DEN you still get to see a minute or two of mountain as you climb out. MSP all you get is the Mall of America.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edmonton to dallas

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SNN-JFK. I hope you like the north Atlantic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

SNN-JFK. I hope you like the north Atlantic.

Flying in over a coast is 100x more interesting than flying over the Wheat-Corn transition in the upper plains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sitting in MSP waiting to get to Vancouver, as a 99% BA flyer can I mention that Delta sucks balls.