Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AmznLumberyard/status/836704944480731137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

What blows my mind about this is that Titanfall 2 for example seems to have significantly more lag when it comes to gunfire and seems totally fine, and yet Star Marine's gunfire seems utterly disconnected to the actions of the player. Maybe it's just that Titanfall is a sharper experience overall so you don't notice it, whereas Star Marine is so loving janky that it all piles up and the game crashes whenever you try and shoot the Bad Commando(TM)?
150ms is within the range of normal human inperception and visual reaction, its harder to notice as long as it doesnt spike. Anything above 200 is usually noticeble, and SC is really really high when it comes to movement.

Whats funny is that the network culling just dissapeared from the roadmap. The way the game deals with character locations is probably such a loving huge mess that they cant divorce it from the rest.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 28, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Weeks not months

And yet things like basic characters aren't even finished being created

I've seen a few cultist posts where they kind of start to connect the dots , wait how can they be still building gameplay teams when the game was supposed to be out a year ago .... hmmmmm

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

Let me tell you what I do know. Every day I come by and click this thread. And we have a few cat pics and a few laughs and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? It's for about ten seconds from when I boot up my computer and click the SA forums. Because I think maybe I'll get up there and I'll click on the thread and it won't be there. No goodbye, no see you later, no nothin'. Just left. I don't know much, but I know that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Not stupid enough to be believable.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

ManofManyAliases posted:

Next purchase is a racing drone. It's so cool and I want to get into it.

TBH that sounds pretty lame

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Not stupid enough to be believable.

I couldn't put myself in the mind of a cultist. I just couldn't.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

I've seen a few cultist posts where they kind of start to connect the dots , wait how can they be still building gameplay teams when the game was supposed to be out a year ago .... hmmmmm

The game was supposed to be out 2 years and 3 months ago.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Spatial posted:

I like space games but reading the Elite thread in Games certainly put me off playing it for life.

I never read it, was it worse than this thread?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

VealCutlet posted:

I never read it, was it worse than this thread?
It's not the thread quality but what was being discussed. Namely that the game seems to be a huge grind fest, and is ultimately shallow despite its size. That there are hundreds of 300+ hour negative reviews on Steam only seems to confirm that view.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

VealCutlet posted:

TBH that sounds pretty lame

IDK, i think it looks pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOWkkoczEPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ0viMxYDA4

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is just like normal high-speed racing except without any of the high-risk danger

so completely boring

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Hahahahaha, nah I'm not sold

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

Spatial posted:

It's not the thread quality but what was being discussed. Namely that the game seems to be a huge grind fest, and is ultimately shallow despite its size. That there are hundreds of 300+ hour negative reviews on Steam only seems to confirm that view.

Fair enough, some people like it, some don't.

I have about 500 hours in it and it's not a game I can play every day but I do really enjoy it when I do play.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HycoCam posted:

Not sure if you followed some of the Reddit threads after the sand worm reveal. Backers were talking about how cool it would be to explore the tunnels left behind by the sand worm's movements...

I recall! I made a few jokes about it.

Definitely going to be in magic release 4.0. :homebrew:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

I couldn't put myself in the mind of a cultist. I just couldn't.

This is a good thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Are you 15? It would explain a few things.

Wait, how old is Toast?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

12+A/6 where A is the physical age of the manchild.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spatial posted:

The game thread is full of bitter vets that would rather the game take a completely different direction of what it really is. You can get a lot of fun out of it so long as you take things slowly and dont gun for the biggest ships/largest grind in one sitting or something.

Elite is still the best game in the genre because it exists and despite a lot of the gameplay design issues its actually functional and gets regular content updates that actually feel like they are building a foundation for a game rather than throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and hope for the best. Get it on sale.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My racing sport is so exiting that we have to add formula one sounds on top of it.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The game thread is full of bitter vets that would rather the game take a completely different direction of what it really is. You can get a lot of fun out of it so long as you take things slowly and dont gun for the biggest ships/largest grind in one sitting or something.

Elite is still the best game in the genre because it exists and despite a lot of the gameplay design issues its actually functional and gets regular content updates that actually feel like they are building a foundation for a game rather than throwing a bunch of poo poo at the wall and hope for the best. Get it on sale.

Elite is ok as long as you relax and just truck around doing random poo poo. God take pity on your soul if you take it seriously and fall into the grinder.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Megabound posted:

Star Shitizen

Let's go minimalist

[GAME TITLE]: [Witty Remark]

Star Citizen: Know your [ROLE]

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

This is awesome!!!! Heck, I remember waiting to learn when we would be able to download Squadron 42 back in October 2014. Instead of Sq42--CIG gave us Space Racing!! Woot--so great. Who knew that instead of getting the spiritual successor to Wing Commander we instead got the crappiest reboot of WipeOut ever conceptualized. What great news to hear CIG is doubling down on Space Racing.

Hey, maybe, refresh my memory. When did backers ask for space racing? But I get the excitement--no 3.0 or SQ42 this year and CIG needs to deliver something. A $75 dollar drone to race around a small map seems like something the community college developers at CIG might be able to deliver.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Spatial posted:

After 300+ hours of playing a game, decided it is stale and boring...

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

150ms is within the range of normal human inperception and visual reaction, its harder to notice as long as it doesnt spike. Anything above 200 is usually noticeble, and SC is really really high when it comes to movement.

Whats funny is that the network culling just dissapeared from the roadmap. The way the game deals with character locations is probably such a loving huge mess that they cant divorce it from the rest.

I will fight you to the death over anything above 20ms

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

Here's a thread that gets it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MinorInconvenience posted:

Are you telling me that 5 people dropped $15,000 to purchase ships in a game that does not exist? How is this possible? I get that a lot of crazy and obsessive people exist out there. But so many wealthy crazy and obsessive people?? Something just feels wrong with the reported amount of daily/weekly/monthly funding. How many untapped whales can be left at this time?

Definitely money laundering. Or CIG stuffing the charts. There is simply NO other explanation. Like at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
...and we have the second confirmation of the existence of a 2.7 patch; even as CIG continues to dangle 3.0 in front of backers like a carrot stick. Of course none of this means anything seeing as they can brand any build to be 3.0 and call it a day. They did the same thing with the 2.5.x path in Dec, which miraculously became 2.6.0 though, aside from Star Marine, didn't contain most of what was previously promised, and which are now playing out in 2.6.1 (current) and upcoming 2.6.2 builds.

The first confirmation was by Todd Pappy and I covered that in this post back on Feb 14.

As I wrote back then, at the end of the day, they can brand any build as 3.0, and call it a day. All with complete disregard for promises made. And they can do this with impunity because even as they continue to do so, and whales, in Sunk Cost Fallacy, keep propping it up, they get the impression that they have a blank check. And with that, they have zero incentive to finish the games as promised, let alone deliver on any promises made.

Cue the mental gymnastics...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5wp35m/27_patch_mentioned_again_in_todays_livestream/

quote:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if some devs are working on the original 2.7 build, and just didn't care enough to change the build number.
It's quite easy to say "two seven" by accident when you're constantly working on a build that is called "2.7" on the dev side of things, even if it will become public build 3.0.

Words. Fail. Me

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5wpa93/got_a_full_refund_ill_see_you_all_in_a_few_years/debtsto/

quote:

Too bad you asked for a refund and no longer have faith in the project. They are holding a large majority of the content back due to people like you complaining about unfinished mechanics, content, etc. People touring CIG have seen stuff that would your pants and make you take down this post. But I can't tell you cause NDA.

Also, they're either backlogged or they're still employing delay tactics. TWO WEEKS to get a refund?!?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/5wq62q/redpandarawr_gets_a_refund_516/

ps: TheAgent had a leak some weeks back where he had said that refunds were going to slow down based on sales/funding. Which explains the recent flurry of refunds after recent sales. Here's another one

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/5wrhki/just_received_my_1200_refund/

Ah yeah, remember back when we said that the Star Citizen networking kernel was getting worse? Right, you did. So go see just how bad it really is now in 2.6.1

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

What blows my mind about this is that Titanfall 2 for example seems to have significantly more lag when it comes to gunfire and seems totally fine, and yet Star Marine's gunfire seems utterly disconnected to the actions of the player. Maybe it's just that Titanfall is a sharper experience overall so you don't notice it, whereas Star Marine is so loving janky that it all piles up and the game crashes whenever you try and shoot the Bad Commando(TM)?

Titanfall prob uses some good client prediction code to fake whats coming next.
Like if you are opponent is moving left it can assume you are moving left for the next few milliseconds and so tell your graphics to make him appear doing this even though you have no network contact that has his current exact position or actions.
It corrects itself when it gets the exact data.

In SC they are just happy it compiles and hope Chris doesn't notice the ignored compiler warnings.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I want someone to make a claim that an RTT of 500ms is normal for an Alpha of an FPS. (It's not!)

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I hate you so goddamn much Derek lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that my fat butt could be a part of this spectacle in some small way

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:allears:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

HycoCam posted:

After 300+ hours of playing a game, decided it is stale and boring...
Yeah I hear this point quite often. I've played a few games for that long and I wouldn't give them a negative review though, even if I am sick of them. My interpretation of these kinds of reviews is that the game has unfun but addictive game mechanics like an F2P/MMO game that would cause a nerd with poor self awareness to play it for a long time until they get frustrated and burn out.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Have you seen the ones where they race in abandoned malls at night?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah obviously there's not going to be sq42 or a real 3.0 this year if they are still designing basics

like I guess faith will carry you through these hard times or whatever, but objectively looking at things the pair of games won't hit actual release until 2020 at the minimum

at that point they'll have hundreds of ships left to put in and many mechanics left to sort out

hope you enjoy your decade old space arcade shooter

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
moma please tell me you aren't an incel holy gently caress dude

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I can't wait for the "host my own server .pdf" and the Linux port.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

[GAME TITLE]: [Witty Remark]

Star Citizen: Know your [ROLE]

Star Citizen: Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

MinorInconvenience posted:

Are you telling me that 5 people dropped $15,000 to purchase ships in a game that does not exist? How is this possible? I get that a lot of crazy and obsessive people exist out there. But so many wealthy crazy and obsessive people?? Something just feels wrong with the reported amount of daily/weekly/monthly funding. How many untapped whales can be left at this time?

The whales are extinct. The only ones that exist are the ones trapped in tiny pools owned by Croberts and co so that they can be milked for every last dime they have. You're not going to find fresh whales that are just now hearing about Star Citizen and manage to push past the missed dates and lack of progress to spend 15k.

Everybody that will ever buy star citizen has already heard of it. It has been years and everyone that has been paying attention has already formed an opinion. Buy now or wait and see.