Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.galmerinc.com/

3-D Printing?

Was that when it was last updated, 99?

I looked at the HTML and said HTML 4.01 on the top, googled that and led to articles in 99. From the super basic HTML and designs looking late 90s as gently caress I'd say it's near 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I honestly wonder which hurt Roger more, not qualifying for the '95 500 or that cluster gently caress of the whole '99 season.

My bias opinion says not qualifying for the '95 500. It did turn my avatar into a drunk, anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

My bias opinion says not qualifying for the '95 500. It did turn my avatar into a drunk, anyway.

I mean, those '99 results certainly look like the doings of a drunk driver.

Poor Little Al.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'99 was arguably worse. Like '98 was bad but they were still occasionally competitive, in '99 Unser Jr. and Tarso Marquez/Alex Barron (???) were way down the field fighting with the likes of Luis Garcia JR. for 20th place.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWcWGDZS5o

Tony George and USAC really tried to kneecap Penske in an incredible way to make sure that would never happen again. This clip is incredible in terms of the two sides sniping at each other.

Also...I'm trying to find confirmation for this (Read: Cygni), but allegedly USAC was so pissed that "A FURRINER" engine manufacturer won in '94, that they really tried to gently caress over the car with the "Jap Tires" (Firestone) and "Jap engines" (Honda) which was partially why USAC penalized Scott Goodyear and Tasman on that last restart.

Person claimed to be a spotter, and said he could hear a few USAC officials muttering about it. I don't have proof, just hearsay.

(god I missed talking about IndyCar...)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

The PC27B is a great example of how having too many open options (chassis, engine, and tires) can leave even a perfectly capable team with completely uncompetitive garbage.

I honestly wonder which hurt Roger more, not qualifying for the '95 500 or that cluster gently caress of the whole '99 season.

The PC-27B's biggest problem was probably the tires(the Lola that they used also didn't bring great results) Goodyear looked like they gave up in 1999. The Ilmor was increasingly uncompetitive as well, a problem that didn't only affect Penske. So much so that he, uh, stopped using engines from the company he owned.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Watched that video. Tony was such a cock.

Probably still is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Watched that video. Tony was such a cock.

Probably still is.

There's an urban legend as to how the IRL was funded, and the real reason why he was kicked out of managing the IRL.

It's a topic that Viking enjoys joining in on. ("Huh. How did those unsponsored cars make the race?")

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tony funded a lot of the IRL. No legend about that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

The PC-27B's biggest problem was probably the tires(the Lola that they used also didn't bring great results) Goodyear looked like they gave up in 1999. The Ilmor was increasingly uncompetitive as well, a problem that didn't only affect Penske. So much so that he, uh, stopped using engines from the company he owned.

To be fair he also stopped using chassis from the company he owned as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Between the Ilmor packaging problem, Goodyear eating poo poo and Penske Cars losing all drivability they're lucky they even had podiums

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Between the Ilmor packaging problem, Goodyear eating poo poo and Penske Cars losing all drivability they're lucky they even had podiums

The PC-27 was decent on ovals, the B much less so. All of the post-split Penskes were good on ovals but deficient everywhere else, and this problem only continued to get worse post 1996.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836662476573827073

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836663118251999232

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

Yeah. I mean it's been obvious that ever since NASCAR left the first time around 2000 or so, Indy really was on borrowed time at that channel. Once the ABC WWOS guys got canned, and the likes of Paul Page were pushed off? Beginning of the end.

The guys screaming at each other from sun up until 8 PM or so have interest in auto racing. So you're not gonna get any coverage from them.

NBC would be a welcome change. Their reach isn't big, but I imagine they'd promote the "500" quite a bit better per the sorts of things I've seen them do with Cup and F1. (their cup coverage is MILES better than Fox's btw).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Tony George and USAC really tried to kneecap Penske in an incredible way to make sure that would never happen again. This clip is incredible in terms of the two sides sniping at each other.

Also...I'm trying to find confirmation for this (Read: Cygni), but allegedly USAC was so pissed that "A FURRINER" engine manufacturer won in '94, that they really tried to gently caress over the car with the "Jap Tires" (Firestone) and "Jap engines" (Honda) which was partially why USAC penalized Scott Goodyear and Tasman on that last restart.

Person claimed to be a spotter, and said he could hear a few USAC officials muttering about it. I don't have proof, just hearsay.

In hindsight, I find it amazing that USAC insisted on maintaining that separate pushrod / stockblock ruleset for so long under the guise of encouraging engineering and diversity, but took every chance they could to cockblock Alfa and Porsche. The Beast probably only ran because Penske kept it so quiet for so long.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I'd love to see IndyCar just sell the broadcast rights to NBC and do streaming in-house.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I wonder at what point, if any, a major race series just say gently caress It to broadcast TV altogether and sign the broadcast rights to someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime instead.

(I get that those two are more aimed at on-demand services than live broadcast, but that can always change)

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I wonder at what point, if any, a major race series just say gently caress It to broadcast TV altogether and sign the broadcast rights to someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime instead.

(I get that those two are more aimed at on-demand services than live broadcast, but that can always change)

Fuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnny you mention this. YouTube just announced a live TV service which will get you all the major broadcast and sports networks, 40+ in total, for $35 a month. Together with Sling, we're pretty much already at the point where people can watch races live over the internet.

Television is obviously shifting to Internet-based broadcasting and on-demand services. You can already watch official replays of all the races on YouTube. The next TV deal is going to be something that certainly includes more online access for live broadcasts. Probably something for mobile too with Verizon.

ed- a word

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 1, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

fashionable accidental double post

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its been kinda bizarre watching ESPN disintegrate, they seems so unstoppable and ubiquitous 10ish years ago

not that them ditching IndyCar specifically means they are disintegrating (nobody watches indycar, afterall), i just meant more in general

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's a money problem combined with poor foresight. They overpaid for the rights to a lot of things, then viewing habits switched from over the TV to over the internet. Cordcutters started hurting their subscriber revenue. To compensate they killed several good ventures, like Grantland. Nowadays their primary motivation is to chase new audiences (casuals, women) and keep eyeballs on the screen with trash programming (Stephen A. Smith) for ad revenue.

Personally, I've noticed I've been visiting ESPN's website a lot less within the past year or two, and that's even accounting for going to FiveThirtyEight a lot even outside of their political coverage. Once ESPN stopped specializing on news, scores, and highlights and started branching off into pop culture and lifestyle, especially after they killed Grantland, they were basically signalling that they didn't care about the above-average sports fan anymore.

Just consider how long they kept Marty Reid in the booth for ABC broadcasts after he demonstrated himself to be less than competent at the job. At this rate, that kind of dedication to excellence in broadcasting isn't that far down the road in other ESPN productions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The reasons behind their failure are pretty clear but it's still so totally bizarre watching them implode seemingly overnight. It's like there was never a decline, just POOF all argument shows and losing out on major rights deals.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I used to watch sub-par programming 'because it was on', but now there is so much stuff to do; presenting itself through social networks or feeds or whatever I can't remember the last time I just veg'd out like that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If I can ever find the article...there was talk in the early 90's of CART starting their own TV Network (pretty much a precursor to "SPEEDVISION"). The response from Paul Page in the article was pretty much "Why do it when people are willing to PAY you to broadcast you on TV".

Honestly I was a little stunned that Cup or Indy never did that in hindsight, but I imagine that quote kinda put a stop to it. I imagine one day...we'll see...some channel not willing to toss the bucks and we'll see some sort of WWE Network-esque package for Cup and/or Indy one day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone needs to think long-term and understand they are gutting their potential audience by refusing to have native streaming services. F1 makes more money by selling their rights to Sky, for instance, but viewership has plummeted.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speaking of Split videos, look at this one from 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHQmiqD8BI

Watch that video & tell me that Tony George isn't a complete idiot.

His major points are:
1. Expanding internationally is bad
2. Oval racing is Americana
3. We should expand it internationally
4. Umm... Err... Uhhh...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Speaking of Split videos, look at this one from 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHQmiqD8BI

Watch that video & tell me that Tony George isn't a complete idiot.

His major points are:
1. Expanding internationally is bad
2. Oval racing is Americana
3. We should expand it internationally
4. Umm... Err... Uhhh...

Viking looks up from an old copy of "Speedway Illustrated " magazine

He wasn't..."wrong", he just sucked at implementing the idea. I think a significant portion of the fanbase was terrified that there was going to be less Gary Bettenhausen's and AJ Foyt's in Indy...and more guys like Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart fleeing to Cup.

If he'd have just done some form of the USAC Gold Crown Series, not done 25/8 and such? Perhaps we're having a different conversation about the sport right now. But TG's goal wasn't to really create the series we're talking about. Rather it was designed to kill off CART tbh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Non-story story, but IndyCar looking for more network coverage and single partner for the next TV deal (2019 on)

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138439-indycar-miles-looking-at-single-tv-partner

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think there's any mystique or anything interesting or noteworthy about the Indy 500 having to be on ABC, so I'd be perfectly happy if all of the ICS went to NBC and NBCSN. I know it's always been on ABC, but I don't see how changing networks now would make any difference.

ESPN is still top-of-the-line with their event coverage, but catching up on how their studio shows etc. are during Christmas-time, not much of it is terribly inspiring or interesting.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I don't think there's any mystique or anything interesting or noteworthy about the Indy 500 having to be on ABC, so I'd be perfectly happy if all of the ICS went to NBC and NBCSN. I know it's always been on ABC, but I don't see how changing networks now would make any difference.

ESPN is still top-of-the-line with their event coverage, but catching up on how their studio shows etc. are during Christmas-time, not much of it is terribly inspiring or interesting.

I feel that "mystique" of having it on ABC died the day Paul Page got let go and replaced with Todd Harris.

After that? It really was never the same. That's not a slam on Harris btw, who has praised his time covering the sport as a "life highlight", but it's more so how ESPN is unable to keep it's head out of something that works. The McKay/Page "Wide World of Sports', WORKED.. When they drifted away from that? Yeah..it was weakened.

Bestwick does a solid job, as does the coverage of the actual event. But ESPN proper doesn't seem to acknowledge it even exists, which is kinda tragic...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dorrbecker:

(aleshin is going to run the awesome red scheme this year, without the Carlos Slim stickers/money obvi)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wish IndyCars could get guys like Rosenqvist and Gasly to slum it over here instead of in Japan.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I suspect Indycar themselves would prefer not because it gives the impression of Indycar as a feeder series rather than a destination.

That's fine for Super Formula, which is essentially Japanese GP2/F3000 but probably not what Indycar is looking for.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I suspect Indycar themselves would prefer not because it gives the impression of Indycar as a feeder series rather than a destination.

That's fine for Super Formula, which is essentially Japanese GP2/F3000 but probably not what Indycar is looking for.

The only real difference is that the companies involved use it to stash junior drivers before they go higher up. Like if Chevrolet put the Taylors into IndyCar until a seat opened up in IMSA.

Otherwise, spec tires, single spec chassis, two engine makes...however, I think the SF cars have shed loads more downforce.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I'm thinking purely in the way they market themselves. Super Formula is happy to be a stepping stone, Indycar would rather avoid it.

That said, I suspect what would override that for Indycar is having guaranteed car count.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bestwick does a solid job, as does the coverage of the actual event. But ESPN proper doesn't seem to acknowledge it even exists, which is kinda tragic...

Yeah I like Bestwick and I'm still working up the nerve to actually talk to him.
For the 100th Running last year SportsCenter did do their broadcasts live from IMS, which was the most ESPN coverage of IndyCar I've seen in well over a decade.

We all knew that ABC/ESPN was just waiting for the 100th Running to come and go so they could shed their contract in favor of more baseball

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
That sucks, I watch the races with an antenna so I got the ABC races but not the ones on NBCSN

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Flikken posted:

That sucks, I watch the races with an antenna so I got the ABC races but not the ones on NBCSN

Same here, really hoping that NBC broadcast gets some races

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

Yeah I'm thinking purely in the way they market themselves. Super Formula is happy to be a stepping stone, Indycar would rather avoid it.

That said, I suspect what would override that for Indycar is having guaranteed car count.

Super Formula is unique as it's halfway between GP2 and a Top Tier series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Yeah I like Bestwick and I'm still working up the nerve to actually talk to him.
For the 100th Running last year SportsCenter did do their broadcasts live from IMS, which was the most ESPN coverage of IndyCar I've seen in well over a decade.

We all knew that ABC/ESPN was just waiting for the 100th Running to come and go so they could shed their contract in favor of more baseball

it really seems like all ESPN is interested in is NFL, NBA, NCAA football and basketball, and nothing else. Anything else is a spot story, nothing - not even baseball - gets as much coverage as the others. And it's virtuous cycles for the NFL and NBA and college football, they're spending that money and it's growing interest.

I've said it before but the growth of soccer in the US is due partially to ESPN just simply giving a poo poo about it. Until they lost the coverage to NBC, there was a very direct line of growth from 2001-02 when I started following straight through in terms of how much and how loosely it was discussed there. And that at its root is because one of the execs saw soccer as an untapped market in the US. I don't think racing is in the same place, but hell, another famous story is CBS showing so much golf because the network head was a golf fan. This doesn't take much, but auto racing just doesn't have people in the right places (outside NBC).

• Locked thread