Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Is there a reason why, when there's a new patch, it won't just start the update but instead I have to log into the game, be told there's a new update and THEN exit the game and then it'll start?

I start the game from the Blizzard launcher and don't have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Unbelievably White posted:

I start the game from the Blizzard launcher and don't have this problem.

I do too, but for reason the update won't start downloading until after I launch the game, get told there's a new patch, then exit out again. then it starts

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ehud posted:

I guess the new season starts today around 4pm, so we should get official notes soon.

Ask and yee shall receive

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753535162

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
After three hours of quick play I'm sick of Bastion already

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 28, 2017

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

eleven extra elephants posted:

After an hour quick play I'm sick of Bastion already

:yeah:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hopefully the efi-bot will bring balance back to this new bastion era

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Playing hog now bores the living daylight out of me. Waiting for the hook and when it's there it's just not as satisfying as it was anymore even if you still one shot them. Also being more occupied with m2 is dull as poo poo.

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS

Gloryhold It! posted:

There's a big ol effort post swimming around, but the short version is that you generally don't want to use your jump to start a fight if you can avoid it. Use it to escape when things start getting hot, and make that descision before you're already dead.
Use the shield by dancing around the edges and forcing them to either come to you or run away.

Jump higher and/or use environment slopes to slow your fall when initiating. Then you have your jump off cool down quicker once you're in the fight. Also, try to always land right on enemies to get your landing damage. Also, your ult doesn't do much damage; but it does fill your health to an absurd amount. When you have ult you can initiate and let yourself get near death then pop that ult and get full health again. If you dropped your shield when first initiating, you will have it again after ult so you can stick around and do more damage before jumping out. Don't throw yourself into a meat grinder, but feel free to jump into those back lines when their supports are way back from anyone that can save them. The best is when you have a genji/tracer and you can jump in with them and give them cover and sweep up.
Winston is super fun and requires you to have a lot of awareness of positioning. You can really punish enemies when they are someplace they shouldn't be. And you are so mobile you can basically take the fight anywhere you want.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Oh, and punch when landing

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
fuuuuck new road hog is so much better

I don't feel the hook changes and I can actually clown and fight people with the gun now, it's amazing

can still one shot ana/reaper with hook (you have to aim to kill ana), mei I've had trouble killing with hook. ana's kinda iffy too.

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 28, 2017

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I can totally see why you wouldn't just implement respawn waves and would instead do this weird respawn delay nonsense

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Unoriginal Name posted:

I can totally see why you wouldn't just implement respawn waves and would instead do this weird respawn delay nonsense

respawn waves creates a luck issue (if you happen to die immediately before or after the respawn wave) while staggered respawn does not. also the mercy rez thing kind of requires a fixed amount of dead time to work right

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Patch Notes posted:

COMPETITIVE PLAY

General

Skill ratings below 500 will no longer be displayed.

Developer Comments: We’ve noticed that some players have been deliberately throwing their matches in an effort to reach the lowest attainable skill rating. We obviously don’t want to incentivize this behavior, because Competitive Play works best when everybody is trying.
The official patch notes have just directly called out bacontotem.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I'm honestly baffled by that change. They release the server browser which lets you make insane custom games but then hand out a change that says "you can't have fun unless you do it our way". They're patching out of both sides of their mouth here.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Snazzy Frocks posted:

respawn waves creates a luck issue (if you happen to die immediately before or after the respawn wave) while staggered respawn does not. also the mercy rez thing kind of requires a fixed amount of dead time to work right

Everyone dying in a short period is not luck though, it's a lost game. I'm not saying respawn waves are perfect, it just feels like another half-baked Blizzard idea rather than a tried and tested method. It gives me flashbacks to coinflips.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

FatSamurai posted:

I'm honestly baffled by that change. They release the server browser which lets you make insane custom games but then hand out a change that says "you can't have fun unless you do it our way". They're patching out of both sides of their mouth here.

Not really. The players that want to try hard get comp, the players that just want to goof get server browser. If they added a "you can't have fun unless you do it our way" rule to the server browser, THAT would be weird.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Everyone dying in a short period is not luck though, it's a lost game. I'm not saying respawn waves are perfect, it just feels like another half-baked Blizzard idea rather than a tried and tested method. It gives me flashbacks to coinflips.

One teammate dies a while ago. Four teammates die 2s before a respawn wave, mercy is alive and nearby and flies over and tries to res and OH NO THE RESPAWN WAVE HIT.

They'd have to alter many things to make respawn waves work. I'm not saying they couldn't but this honestly seems like a decent change as is without major changes to the underlying systems the game is built on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, as much as I'm not personally offended by the saga of hanjo Blizzard taking steps to discourage deliberate derankers in the tryhard mode isn't terribly surprising and also isn't inconsistent with releasing a server browser to let people make their own custom games to gently caress around in.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh they didn't change Bastion from the PTR.

Sweet.

Also why?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

Oh they didn't change Bastion from the PTR.

Sweet.

Also why?

Because Blizzard prefers to let their mistakes go to live before correcting them instead of doing it beforehand.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Because Blizzard prefers to let their mistakes go to live before correcting them instead of doing it beforehand.

Blizzard's design philosophy has always been "Yes, we're getting complaints, but we want to see how this plays out for the next six months before we actually make any changes".

See : Sombra.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

khy posted:

Blizzard's design philosophy has always been "Yes, we're getting complaints, but we want to see how this plays out for the next six months before we actually make any changes".

See : Sombra.

See: Hearthstone

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

See: Hearthstone

I never got into that one, but since it's Blizzard yeah I believe it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

khy posted:

I never got into that one, but since it's Blizzard yeah I believe it.

Overwatch is Sonic when compared to Hearthstone.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

Overwatch is Sonic when compared to Hearthstone.

i dont even know what this means

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unoriginal Name posted:

i dont even know what this means

Hearthstone is very, very slow to make balance fixes. (And when it does they're usually the wrong ones.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be fair the last time Blizzard rushed out quick buffs based on volume of complaints we wound up with Ana.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
So much for No Limits for a while. It's a goddamn sea of Bastions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dumb. posted:

So much for No Limits for a while. It's a goddamn sea of Bastions.

I suppose that's a change of pace from a sea of Symmetras

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I'm at work and haven't touched the PTR or new patch. I've heard about Bastion and saw the changes, but give me a rundown on what makes it terrible so I know what to expect once I'm off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bastion seems fine in his new state so far.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Bastion seems fine in his new state so far.

I agree somewhat. Everything but ironclad is alright for Bastion. I'd tone back ironclad to just 25% or so, it just seems a little bit too much.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

I agree somewhat. Everything but ironclad is alright for Bastion. I'd tone back ironclad to just 25% or so, it just seems a little bit too much.

His normal counters still work, right? As a massive Genji player, I need to know this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whelp did two placements lost both I'm totally blaming lag and my team.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Caeks posted:

His normal counters still work, right? As a massive Genji player, I need to know this.

Eh.

Genji is alright for helping a push shut Bastion down. But if it's just a Genji working to take out a Bastion alone, the Bastion wipes him out. Which should be expected if you're running in alone, anyways.

Tracers are kind of annoying if you lose tracking on them but they get torn to shreds.

Widowmaker is a pretty non-threat and they usually run if you start firing at them.

I don't know what else is considered a Bastion counter. D.Va maybe? But D.Va has to run up right into the Bastion and hold defense matrix and hope her team helps. Which they most likely won't if the Bastion is with his own team.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the real counter to bastion, at least as far as I can see, is to ignore him and kill the people around the dumb stationary robot first

I'd say the real winner vs bastion is d.va and the loser is roadhog, tho roadhog can pull you in and kill you if you let him (that's on you tho)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Ana is pretty good against Bastion ...and with Bastion.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Theta Zero posted:

Eh.

Genji is alright for helping a push shut Bastion down. But if it's just a Genji working to take out a Bastion alone, the Bastion wipes him out. Which should be expected if you're running in alone, anyways.

Tracers are kind of annoying if you lose tracking on them but they get torn to shreds.

Widowmaker is a pretty non-threat and they usually run if you start firing at them.

I don't know what else is considered a Bastion counter. D.Va maybe? But D.Va has to run up right into the Bastion and hold defense matrix and hope her team helps. Which they most likely won't if the Bastion is with his own team.

Played a few maps against the new Bastion as DVA and she is still great at killing him. Don't even need to be close to use Defense Matrix, as I can use it while someone behind me shoots at him and he dies quickly. Also Junkrat if he not spotted by him tears him to pieces.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Is soldier still able to burst him down or is that a no go with ironclad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In sentry form he's harder to burst down but also does a lot less damage, especially at longer ranges. It seems more feasible to get more sustained long-range fire on him.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 1, 2017