Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I would agree that the original run of Futurama is perfect in that there aren't really any bad episodes, but also I think everyone remembers the trippy sci-fi adventure episodes and less of the sitcom-y ones which make up a good chunk of it and don't hold up quite as well. They sort of feel like filler in retrospect. In the commentaries they mention that Fox wanted there to be a balance between familiarity and crazy sci-fi for a more general audience.

And that's why Rick and Morty is great (so far), it's the best elements of Futurama, amped up, minus the filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The only episode of Drawn Together I can remember involved the princess character taking a steaming dump on a pizza or something hilaaaarious like that

Forgive me if I'm not too keen on delving much deeper into it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

for whatever reason, i have the DVDs of the first season of Drawn Together. most of what i remember was the pig forcing the Pikachu ripoff make shoes in a sweatshop because "lol asians," followed by the Pikachu killing something with "honor." also the Disney princess and the black fox woman were lesbians or something

it's pretty bad. the superhero is a decent character though

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm agape all the Futurama opinions. I've always felt like the 4 original seasons are pretty much perfect, I can't really think of a bad one.

The Honking, Bend Her, Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV, and Lobstertainment all come to mind immediately. I think the fact that there's way more good than bad in the original run gets some pretty weak episodes a pass (though I agree overall it's top-notch tv), and the opposite is true for the second run. Great episodes get the stink of the series lows all over them.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I'm not going to read everything here, but the point where the Simpsons actually gets bad is the episode where Bart gets the race horse and Homer fights the jockey elves. Specifically when Comic Book Guy points out that there was an old, funny episode where the Simpsons get a horse and Homer says "who cares what this guy thinks?" and everyone laughs. The show says directly to the viewer, "yeah it's bad now and we're out of ideas. gently caress you and keep watching for another 15 years."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't remember the jockey elves episode at all. i'm glad i don't

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I dont mind That's Lobstertainment but the Honking and Bend Her are loving trash.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Honking, Bend Her, Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV, and Lobstertainment all come to mind immediately.

I'll give you The Honking and Bend Her (which, to me anyway, comes across more insensitive than flat-out unfunny -- edit: it's also been a long while since I last saw it), but Lobstertainment was and is loving hilarious. The clips of the movie were hilarious, Calculon overacting was hilarious, and the role of Harold Zoid was well-performed. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Wikipedia posted:

In the DVD commentary, the producers mention that [That's Lobstertainment] is considered by fans to be the worst episode of the series.

Okay maybe I really shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. :psyduck:

I really liked Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV too -- it had some great bits, like Bender not advocating "the cool crime of robbery" and the general idea of a child robot falling under a bad influence -- but felt as though it was a less defensible episode than Lobstertainment.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't remember the jockey elves episode at all. i'm glad i don't

I'll deal with those murderous trolls.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'll give you The Honking and Bend Her (which, to me anyway, comes across more insensitive than flat-out unfunny -- edit: it's also been a long while since I last saw it), but Lobstertainment was and is loving hilarious. The clips of the movie were hilarious, Calculon overacting was hilarious, and the role of Harold Zoid was well-performed. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Okay maybe I really shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. :psyduck:

I really liked Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV too -- it had some great bits, like Bender not advocating "the cool crime of robbery" and the general idea of a child robot falling under a bad influence -- but felt as though it was a less defensible episode than Lobstertainment.

Yeah, Lobstertainment usually comes to mind as the worst. You set a show 1000 years in the future just to do a bunch of played-out cliches about Jewish Hollywood?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Honking, Bend Her, Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV, and Lobstertainment all come to mind immediately. I think the fact that there's way more good than bad in the original run gets some pretty weak episodes a pass (though I agree overall it's top-notch tv), and the opposite is true for the second run. Great episodes get the stink of the series lows all over them.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lobstertainment was and is loving hilarious. The clips of the movie were hilarious, Calculon overacting was hilarious, and the role of Harold Zoid was well-performed. I have no complaints whatsoever.

:agreed:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I watched the first and second seasons of Futurama over the last couple of weeks and I thought it was pretty weak. Some episodes were good but most of them didn't make me laugh at all and just seemed a bit cringeworthy.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I'm not going to read everything here, but the point where the Simpsons actually gets bad is the episode where Bart gets the race horse and Homer fights the jockey elves. Specifically when Comic Book Guy points out that there was an old, funny episode where the Simpsons get a horse and Homer says "who cares what this guy thinks?" and everyone laughs. The show says directly to the viewer, "yeah it's bad now and we're out of ideas. gently caress you and keep watching for another 15 years."

I loving love that episode and i don't care who knows it. It's weird.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One thing this thread has taught me is that I'm propably the only person who enjoyed the Futurama movies. All of them. Repeatedly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

At the time it originally aired, it was kind of shocking, but with the context of how much more weird and bland the show would get, it's not that bad. It's weird, at least kind of funny, and most importantly memorable, which is more than can be said for almost all later episodes.

Son of Rodney posted:

One thing this thread has taught me is that I'm propably the only person who enjoyed the Futurama movies. All of them. Repeatedly.

I've seen them all once, and remember almost nothing from them. To me they're a chore to watch as a movie since they don't have any proper flow to the plot from being intended to be split up into four episodes each. But then they also suck as individual episodes. I think they're far worse than the proper Comedy Central seasons that came after.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Son of Rodney posted:

Bender's Big Score is solid, and I liked the second half of Bender's game with the fantasy parodies. I've seen Wild Green Yonder at least three times, and I can't remember the plot at all.

Overall, I'd say they were fine for getting a Futurama fix post-cancellation, but had we known the series would come back, we would've been better off without them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Zapp Brannigan: Oh god, you're killing me! Oh GOD, you're KILLING me!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
the most hosed up thing is where lenny and carl actually have sex, thats when i was done
no race mixing for me, yellow and black is wack

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I've seen them all once, and remember almost nothing from them. To me they're a chore to watch as a movie since they don't have any proper flow to the plot from being intended to be split up into four episodes each.

I've seen them all a couple times for a cartoon fix but the only one that really works as a "movie" for me is Beast With a Billion Backs. I guess that one isn't very popular with goons, but it was the only one that didn't feel like four chopped up episodes and it played consistently in the sci-fi/horror comedy sandbox so it's the standout for me.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Son of Rodney posted:

yes you are
benders big score was awesome when it came out cos it was new futurama woo

i only ever saw into the wild green yonder after that and it was some femenist dumb fuckshit

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

I liked them alright. The second one was good even.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
P sure the only jokes in Wild Green Yonder were 'fuckin feminists sure are dumb' and 'people do weird poo poo with their feet' which is like did they make a futurama movie based entirely on Matt Groening's sexual pathology

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the second Futurama movie but none of them feel much like movies, more like two to three completely seperate episode plots that were kind of tied together.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Nonviolent J posted:

the most hosed up thing is where lenny and carl actually have sex, thats when i was done
no race mixing for me, yellow and black is wack

Uhhh is this a thing that actually happened and if so why

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The weird thing is that I remember all of those bits quite fondly, but I didn't remember them as from the jockey episode. That said, I enjoyed the jockey episode when I saw it, though I'm pretty sure I haven't rewatched it since it aired.

Son of Rodney posted:

I've had that one holiday song about going to war stuck in my head since I watched the movie that it's in. :geno:

There was at least one movie where Leela and Amy do weird fetish-y stuff, and it weirded me out. Like, they turn into giantesses and/or centaurs for some reason, and maybe the internet has broken me, but that whole thing just struck me as too self-indulgent.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Son of Rodney posted:

Same

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

There was at least one movie where Leela and Amy do weird fetish-y stuff, and it weirded me out. Like, they turn into giantesses and/or centaurs for some reason, and maybe the internet has broken me, but that whole thing just struck me as too self-indulgent.

There is a newer episode where Amy and Leela take some sort of steroid nectar to compete in a an all woman fighting tournament and they have a threesome with Fry while they are all buffed up and it feels like somebody on the show making a fetish movie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There is a newer episode where Amy and Leela take some sort of steroid nectar to compete in a an all woman fighting tournament and they have a threesome with Fry while they are all buffed up and it feels like somebody on the show making a fetish movie.

I would have watched the show if I had known this was gonna happen

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder if it has the same writer as the episode with the giant women.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I wonder if it has the same writer as the episode with the giant women.

cabbagepots confirmed ex futurama writing staff

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Uhhh is this a thing that actually happened and if so why

Search your dark heart, and fear not the answer you find inside

it didnt

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, Lobstertainment usually comes to mind as the worst. You set a show 1000 years in the future just to do a bunch of played-out cliches about Jewish Hollywood?

But it was funny

It also makes me sad alot of these woody allen/seinfeld jewish character cliches are now mostly dead due to the slow passage of time

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"That's Lobstertainment" was based on vaudeville and old Hollywood, so there was more thought behind the premise than, say, the "Susan Boil" episode (ugh). it's just that those are two topics that not many people know about

NiceGuy posted:

Search your dark heart, and fear not the answer you find inside

it didnt
it seems plausible, though. when i stopped watching the Simpsons once and for all, they were really playing up the "lenny and carl could be a gay couple" angle

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I never watched the movies. I watched the first couple of new episodes on CC and didn't like them so I didn't watch the rest.

I liked the original run I've seen every episode multiple times. When I think of my least favorite episode of that run, I have to say the bee episode. wtf was that about

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

GoutPatrol posted:

But it was funny

It also makes me sad alot of these woody allen/seinfeld jewish character cliches are now mostly dead due to the slow passage of time

These were always so wildly bizarre to me I'm glad they're mostly gone.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

The original run of Futurama can easily go toe-to-toe with anything The Simpsons did in the late '90s (not the early 90s, though, that poo poo is untouchable).

The movies are bizarre - specifically the fact that they made four of them. One was enough, hell, one a year I could understand, if not every other year. But four in such rapid succession? They seemed rushed and got into overkill territory surprisingly quickly.

The Comedy Central seasons, I'll admit, had their moments, but I honestly would've preferred that the show stay buried because almost all of their worst and most cringeworthy episodes come from then and I honestly feel that their addition tarnished the show's legacy quite a bit.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also if you don't rate the devil's hands episode you can get your garbage-tier opinions the gently caress out of here

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the devil's hands is the best episode of the series and remains the true finale in my opinion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The real finale was a pretty good episode, but a weird ending for the characters. The fourth movie's ending would have been an alright ending, but the one where Bender gets overclocked and uses math to see into the future was written as a potential series finale too, and that one would have been the worst.

Devil's hands was the best of the finales for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

The movie where we got to see Bart Simpson's penis.