Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

It's a decent endpoint for the game. New group and a bit of optimism, which is rare in Berserk. What point what you choose otherwise?

That said, I don't think it makes as good of an end point but I would have liked Sea God boss battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How much further has Berserk gone in terms of the current manga storyline compared to the game's ending?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How much further has Berserk gone in terms of the current manga storyline compared to the game's ending?

One arc complete, one in progress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

They must have that deliberately to gently caress with manga readers

Well isn't that were the story actually is.

No point in stopping short.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Boat is over.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What is the boat?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well isn't that were the story actually is.

No point in stopping short.

No they're on elf Island

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Lunethex posted:

What is the boat?

It's where they are.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I don't even read Berserk and even i know that boat time is already over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

What is the boat?

At the end of a recent arc (the one that ends the anime), Guts and his friends headed to Elf Island in order to get Casca cured and lay low for a while. Unfortunately, Miura's release schedule started going to hell around that point, so the arc covering the voyage to Elf Island ended up lasting over a decade, and they've only recently arrived and started doing other stuff.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is that a decade of real time?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Is that a decade of real time?

Yup.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So when are we getting iDOLM@STER outfits for Berserk Musou?

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm working my way through DW8:XL and uh... Ambition Mode seems kinda crappy. Do y'all have any suggestions for how to a.) get Facility Materials at anything close to a decent rate, and b.) make the whole thing a more enjoyable experience?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

At the end of a recent arc (the one that ends the anime), Guts and his friends headed to Elf Island in order to get Casca cured and lay low for a while. Unfortunately, Miura's release schedule started going to hell around that point, so the arc covering the voyage to Elf Island ended up lasting over a decade, and they've only recently arrived and started doing other stuff.

Lol I knew Berserk was slow-paced, but what the heck happened to the guy to mess up releasing updates for so long?

Meanwhile, One Piece just keeps going.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lol I knew Berserk was slow-paced, but what the heck happened to the guy to mess up releasing updates for so long?

Takoluka posted:

So when are we getting iDOLM@STER outfits for Berserk Musou?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Meanwhile, One Piece just keeps going.

There's kind of a huge gap in quality. And Miura is old and doesn't have the power of the stone mask like Araki.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One Piece is great though

Like one guy is a 1930's mobster with a whole bunch of tiny mobsters living inside him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Iserlohn posted:

There's kind of a huge gap in quality.

Berserk isn't that bad, man. No need to hate on it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I rescind my earlier complaint about Guts not feeling strong enough. As you progress through the story he gets access to more Fury bars or whatever and his moveset actually changes a bit when he gets the Dragon Slayer. Around that time is when a better tier of accessories start dropping too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

I rescind my earlier complaint about Guts not feeling strong enough. As you progress through the story he gets access to more Fury bars or whatever and his moveset actually changes a bit when he gets the Dragon Slayer. Around that time is when a better tier of accessories start dropping too.

His charged attacks are brutal too, especially C3. Also his new Musou attack is amazing as well because it kills everything in 50 meter radius now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pureauthor posted:

Berserk isn't that bad, man. No need to hate on it.

The point was more that Berserk has absurdly goddamn intricate art whereas One Piece is a little more typical. I can entirely buy that it's taking Miura months on end to draw some of these chapters, especially if he has any kind of life outside Berserk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How long is Berserk (the game)? It looks interesting and different enough from the existing titles to catch my interest but if it only has 8 characters, I'm balking hard at that $60 price tag.

Does it do anything different from the usual 'fight hordes of soldiers and sometimes an officer' formula of the Musou series, or is it just more of the same with a violent anime palette swap? I'm not really familiar with the anime apart from "it stars a guy with a big sword and the story is apparently very grimdark" so I dunno if this game switches it up by having you kill dragons or storm castles or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

How long is Berserk (the game)? It looks interesting and different enough from the existing titles to catch my interest but if it only has 8 characters, I'm balking hard at that $60 price tag.

Does it do anything different from the usual 'fight hordes of soldiers and sometimes an officer' formula of the Musou series, or is it just more of the same with a violent anime palette swap? I'm not really familiar with the anime apart from "it stars a guy with a big sword and the story is apparently very grimdark" so I dunno if this game switches it up by having you kill dragons or storm castles or something.

It's very much Generic Musou and in terms of content it's pretty barebones. It's not like 2 hours long or anything but the big non-story mode is just an lengthy survival mode so it depends on how much you like smashing dudes with big sword.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm 13 hours in and it says that I finished 75% of the main story. There's also Endless Eclipse mode with plenty of extra gameplay.

You get to fight big bosses that aren't pushovers at all, at least not on Hard.
Other than that Berserk is a VERY well polished Musou game and while it doesn't have many unique gameplay mechanics it's really satisfying at it's core.

Also I personally have never been exposed to Berserk's story before this game and I found it to be really...fascinating, in a way.
Especially in the second half. :suspense:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 28, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 13 hours in and it says that I finished 75% of the main story. There's also Endless Eclipse mode with plenty of extra gameplay.

You get to fight big bosses that aren't pushovers at all, at least not on Hard.
Other than that Berserk is a VERY well polished Musou game and while it doesn't have many unique gameplay mechanics it's really satisfying at it's core.

Also I personally have never been exposed to Berserk's story before this game and I found it to be really...fascinating, in a way.
Especially in the second half. :suspense:

Agreeing with this post.
Berseker Armor Guts is just insane. Really fun to play as.
I barely managed to beat Femto on floor 100. I would not have liked to restart that. But the reward is awesome. Stuff like that would probably have been DLC.
I do suggest playing it on hard from the start. Normal was just too easy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm...I'm tempted but that still doesn't quite sound worth $60 to me. I'll just wait for a sale, or, more likely, buy it impulsively while drunk, like I get most of my musou games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm...I'm tempted but that still doesn't quite sound worth $60 to me. I'll just wait for a sale, or, more likely, buy it impulsively while drunk, like I get most of my musou games

I'm not sure if it's worth 60 bux either, tbh. It's definitely worth 30, maybe 40 bux.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I was (and still sort of am) annoyed at how easy the game was even on Hard, while being freaking impossible on Berserk (at least at the point I was at when I tried it last). But now I kind of like it. I started really struggling with a couple encounters at points where it would be appropriate and only at those points... Sort of neat that my playing experience has kind of mirrored what actually happens in the narrative.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm working my way through DW8:XL and uh... Ambition Mode seems kinda crappy. Do y'all have any suggestions for how to a.) get Facility Materials at anything close to a decent rate, and b.) make the whole thing a more enjoyable experience?

Do the materials missions every single time. Maybe go for the pop-boost mission once in a while if you need the guys, but otherwise just do the material quests over and over. Also, make sure to smash any crates you see, you can squeeze out a couple extra materials per stage if you're reasonably thorough. It's still a big grind either way, though. It does significantly improve after you complete the fancy castle and start the second part, though. Be aware that triggering the castle's completion will cause everybody but the character you're currently playing as to leave your service until you re-recruit them in the new part, though.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I went a long time not using the consumables in Berserk but they are awesome. Pop the dice item right before entering fury mode and you'll get a crazy amount of money.

I almost ran out of money but not been a problem since I started using them.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

kvx687 posted:

Do the materials missions every single time. Maybe go for the pop-boost mission once in a while if you need the guys, but otherwise just do the material quests over and over. Also, make sure to smash any crates you see, you can squeeze out a couple extra materials per stage if you're reasonably thorough. It's still a big grind either way, though. It does significantly improve after you complete the fancy castle and start the second part, though. Be aware that triggering the castle's completion will cause everybody but the character you're currently playing as to leave your service until you re-recruit them in the new part, though.

Also, upgrade the merchant last in the first part to take advantage of the weapon to building material trade.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ghost of Starman posted:

Buy DW8:E instead because Ambition mode is a really mediocre version of that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

I went a long time not using the consumables in Berserk but they are awesome. Pop the dice item right before entering fury mode and you'll get a crazy amount of money.

I almost ran out of money but not been a problem since I started using them.

I run double herbs and double medicine for permanent frenzy mode and musou attacks

Elliotw2 posted:

Buy DW8:E instead because Ambition mode is a really mediocre version of that.

I second this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn, Berserk musou is loving metal as hell. I have not enjoyed the first level of a game this much since God of War 2.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Goddamn, Berserk musou is loving metal as hell. I have not enjoyed the first level of a game this much since God of War 2.

And I'm tempted again

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

kvx687 posted:

That's the frustrating part! I was like "wow, it seems way easier to get Allies and Fame than these materials" from the very beginning, so I've been doing nothing but Materials missions, and I still have... what, 480+ Allies, max (5000) Fame, and only 43%Facilities completion for the Tongquetai. :doh: I was hoping I was missing something that was supposed to balance it out, like maybe one of the places you could send people to from the Barracks would just poo poo Materials all over you. :sigh:

garthoneeye posted:

Also, upgrade the merchant last in the first part to take advantage of the weapon to building material trade.

I'm... not sure I understand. The Weapon->Facility materials exchange rate gets worse as you upgrade the Merchant? :raise:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

when you complete the merchant it becomes 1-1 each way.

Probably because there's basically no use for facility materials once you finish building stuff

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alternatively, don't play Ambition Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress are you supposed to fight Lord of Thieves in Berserk Warriors?
He's the only thing in the whole game that pisses me off every time I have to fight him because I don't understand how the gently caress you're supposed to do anything about him.
All his moves knock my rear end on the ground. The tail slam combo seems to be impossible to dodge and he loving love to chain it over and over. The only way I can manage to win against him is my tanking his hits and using all of my items on him.