Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coffee And Pie posted:

They restored Manos

I like to think we restored Manos :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Also Manos is not Star Wars.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Manos deserved to be saved.
Nerd nostalgia does not.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Antiviral is stupid good. Didn't realize that was him either.

Antiviral is a movie where the premise was so extreme that it directly impacted my enjoyment of the thing. I get that it was going for satirizing celebrity obsession, but for gently caress's sake. There's being obsessed, and there's a society that has multiple "get sick off a celebrity" clinics and celeb-flesh bistros.

It's extremely well shot, Caleb is really disturbingly intense, and Sarah Gadon is one of my types, and I ultimately watch the movie often, but man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've heard Lucas literally put "no unspecial editions" as a clause in the sale of lucasfilms, so Disney's probably just waiting for him to die before they release the version of star wars that's good.

wyoming posted:

Nerd nostalgia does not.

:jerkbag:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lurdiak posted:

I've heard Lucas literally put "no unspecial editions" as a clause in the sale of lucasfilms, so Disney's probably just waiting for him to die before they release the version of star wars that's good.

:jerkbag:

You've repeatedly argued against Star Wars being artistic or having anything to say. If you're not just trying to pretend to be a kid again, why the gently caress would you care about some "unspecial" version of the film?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Opening night, bitches

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hell yeah, pink fleshy aliens.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

If you're not just trying to pretend to be a kid again, why the gently caress would you care about some "unspecial" version of the film?

It's less about wanting to pretend to be a kid, but to ensure that their (real or hypothetical) don't grow up in a world where there's Star Wars other than the ones that they, as a kid, watched.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I sure hope that xenomorph CGI isn't finalized yet because ouch.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Can't watch the trailer does Danny McBride cuss at an alien hilariously?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea, that movie doesn't look fully appealing at all.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I sure hope that xenomorph CGI isn't finalized yet because ouch.

What's wrong with it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really need to sit down and watch the Alien movies. I keep telling people I haven't seen them since I was a kid, but the truth is, I don't think I've ever seen them. :ohdear:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

K. Waste posted:

What's wrong with it?

Badddddddd CGI.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just watch the first two. Same with Predator.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coffee And Pie posted:

Three plus Prometheus :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've seen the hell out of Predator 1 and 2. And I've seen both AVP movies and Prometheus.

I haven't been avoiding Alien and Aliens, but I do fear that they won't hit me the same way they hit every nerd on the planet due to absorbing them through the collective pop culture.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They probably won't but sitting on them longer ain't gunna make it less so

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll pull for a sale right before Covenant comes out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wyoming posted:

You've repeatedly argued against Star Wars being artistic or having anything to say.

I... don't remember doing that?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reminder that Alien 3 is just as good as the first two, obviously.

New one looks pretty bad but I like whatsername from Inherent Vice and hope she keeps showing up in stuff.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reminder that Alien 3 is just as good as the first two, obviously.

New one looks pretty bad but I like whatsername from Inherent Vice and hope she keeps showing up in stuff.

That would be DA Jack McCoy's daughter.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

But what's bad about the CGI.

I'm just asking for clarification on a common complaint about contemporary movie trailers. What looks bad about the CGI in the Alien: Covenant trailer? What are some "tells"?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It looks rubbery and flat or doesn't mesh well with the its surroundings or its physics don't hold to real world standards.

To me the trailer looks like tired and boring, seems like Scott just rehashed himself.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Kill Zone 2 was pretty cool but I didn't care much for the story. It was tonally all over the place. The action was cool but I think it's gonna be hard to find stuff that lives up to John Wick and Mad Max.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

K. Waste posted:

What's wrong with it?

It looks like cgi from 2002.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DeimosRising posted:

You're just thinking of Landry Jones, who has circled Texas in a long and undistinguished career of football mediocrity.
Oh god I hope he gets kicked off the Steelers, he's so loving awful

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

But what's bad about the CGI.

I'm just asking for clarification on a common complaint about contemporary movie trailers. What looks bad about the CGI in the Alien: Covenant trailer? What are some "tells"?

Modern audiences are spoiled as gently caress. I was talking with one coworker about the recent Flash tv show and saying how some of the cgi in the recent episodes could be feature worthy. My other coworker, who won't shut the gently caress about Rick & Morty and quantum theory and cyber upgrades and other dumb poo poo was complaining about the cgi looking like it came from a PS2 game.

I sometimes have to blank out things I hear at work. Like how it takes some people DAYS to watch a movie. Like, they'll watch a couple minutes of it, then turn it off and do something else. What in the gently caress? :psyduck:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still haven't seen The Bourne Legacy and heard mixed things about it, but doing it that way, just following a different supersoldier, that seemed like the right way to keep the series going.

It's a fine idea, poor execution. The action isn't up to snuff and Jeremy Renner is boring. The two most recent Universal Soldiers blow it out of the water.

edit: Though, the opening sequence in the cabin is good. You've got Oscar Isaac and the fight with the drone is well done.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 1, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-PkNb7ZYo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Spatulater bro! posted:

It looks like cgi from 2002.

Considering how understated the special effects are and how short the shot lengths are, I'm not seeing what looks 'old' about them. I like that little whisp in the water as the ship is gliding in.

Like, give me a specific shot, because it seems like there are a lot of them where there might be a considerable amount of both CGI and 'practical' effects work, but I can't necessarily discern, as Death By would have it, how it's 'not meshing' with the environment or looking otherwise 'off' physically.

These all look like really well-shot and formalized effects to me. What's breaking your 'immersion,' other than your consciousness that there is CGI, and that you're watching a trailer?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wyoming posted:

Nerd nostalgia does not.

It's not "nerd nostalgia" it's a pretty huge part of film history. You also don't get to complain about nerd nostalgia and then get excited for an Alien sequel being released in the year 2017.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yes, looking forward to a new movie by a director you enjoy is nostalgia.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Sure was a shame when George Lucas erased Star Wars from all of space and time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wyoming posted:

Yes, looking forward to a new movie by a director you enjoy is nostalgia.

It is when it's just a rehash of something he did 40 years ago.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wyoming posted:

Sure was a shame when George Lucas erased Star Wars from all of space and time.

He's tried his damnedest to make sure that happens with the original versions of the film. The only reason this discussion always turns into a shitshow is because it's Star Wars. Would you react the same way if it was other movies that had a similar cultural and/or aesthetic significance?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Oh gently caress yeah, I forgot all about Girls At Our Best!, they loving rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMuDOCRKPUk

Now I gotta go listen to the Raincoats, Kleenex, Mo-Dettes, Au Pairs, etc. Woman-led post-punk ownsssss

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

He's tried his damnedest to make sure that happens with the original versions of the film. The only reason this discussion always turns into a shitshow is because it's Star Wars. It was any other classic film that was altered decades later on multiple occasions and the world at large is told they can't have the original version. Would you react the same way if it was other movies that had a similar cultural and/or aesthetic significance?

Ugh, quit whining about that missing snowglobe scene from Citizen Kane, nostalgia is poison!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Ugh, quit whining about that missing snowglobe scene from Citizen Kane, nostalgia is poison!!

gently caress film preservation if it's a thing some nerds care about!

• Locked thread