Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Mick continues to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Wow, this year better loving deliver on the drama front if it's even going to stand a chance in up-ending Patriot. Christ what a well put together show. For anyone on the edge about watching it's very similar to Young Pope in tone.

I'm amped you guys get this show, i was expecting very mixed reactions from people because it's slow, but the story actually sails along, all the while it's drawing you in .

It's like if Jason Bourne was a massive stoner.

The main guy looks like he could either laugh his rear end off and burst into epic tears at any moment.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If you liked Patriot you should check out A Very Secret Service on Netflix. It's the same sort of absurdist spy story, but a bit goofier and set in 60s Paris.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
is the no-ads version of Hulu worth the 12 bux a month? What does Hulu have to offer that other streaming services don't? Hulu has really changed from what it used to be, I know that, but I don't really know what it is now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

is the no-ads version of Hulu worth the 12 bux a month? What does Hulu have to offer that other streaming services don't? Hulu has really changed from what it used to be, I know that, but I don't really know what it is now.

Well

they have Smallville.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

they have Smallville.

Sold!

On never getting Hulu.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One nice thing about Hulu is it's the only place that has the (mostly) complete Adult Swim catalog.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hulu's got a solid selection but if you have Prime/Netflix and cable then there's not too much draw unless you're looking for specific hard to find shows. And it seems to focus on grabbing exclusive deals with shows that are popular with a certain demo like BSG, Community, the FX comedies, and South Park.

I have it with ads but besides the "STOP PLAYING THE SAME AD AT EVERY BREAK!" thing I really don't mind. And for whatever reason half the time they don't seem to play despite no ad blocker or anything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Right now on there I'm watching Happy Endings, classic Outer Limits, and classic MST3k (Though who knows what'll happen with that when the new show starts up on Netflix.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Mick continues to be great.

Kaitlin Olson is totally in my wheel house.

She's like a hot female Homer Simpson.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I approach Hulu the same way I do Netflix. When there's an exclusive show I want to watch I'll sign up for a month, watch that show and whatever else until the end of that month and then cancel. I imagine they have metrics to show what I initially signed up to view and then they can gauge based on that what shows are getting them money or not. For me it's just a waste to keep subscriptions to either service as I never use them enough to justify paying when there's nothing specific I want to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm on my 3rd month of Hulu but I only signed up because they offered me a $20 gift card at the start of the year for 2 months and I was able to get the 2nd month free. And I was able to get a third month free when it was due up yesterday so I figured I'd stick with it. All in all I believe I've made $13.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Does Hulu still have a bunch of Criterion Collection films available to watch?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Spatula City posted:

Does Hulu still have a bunch of Criterion Collection films available to watch?

No, because they launched their own channel.

They do have a deal with Epix though, so a lot of Paramount movies are on there. They also have the complete Bond collection (in 4k if you have a PS4.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imposters is crushing it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
FYI, The new season of Catastrophe started today. Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I'm pumped.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Imposters is crushing it.

I love the entire road-trip setup they've got going. Trailer almost fooled me into thinking this was another police procedural.

EDIT: Oh my god and now they're adding to the rooster of scorned lovers, I love this show. :swoon:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

I love the entire road-trip setup they've got going. Trailer almost fooled me into thinking this was another police procedural.

EDIT: Oh my god and now they're adding to the rooster of scorned lovers, I love this show. :swoon:

Inbar Lavi is impossibly seductive, it's crazy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I approach Hulu the same way I do Netflix. When there's an exclusive show I want to watch I'll sign up for a month, watch that show and whatever else until the end of that month and then cancel. I imagine they have metrics to show what I initially signed up to view and then they can gauge based on that what shows are getting them money or not. For me it's just a waste to keep subscriptions to either service as I never use them enough to justify paying when there's nothing specific I want to watch.

I use Netflix exactly how they want me to: "gently caress it it's 10 bucks whatever."

I do get pretty consistent use out of it though. Right now I'm watching old episodes of McGyver.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's a hard show to watch now. You have to be a child of the 80s to deal with it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

That's a hard show to watch now. You have to be a child of the 80s to deal with it.

I don't disagree, but it helps that I am and that I used to watch it in syndication twice(I think) every day every afternoon on USA. This is fully a nostalgia trip.

The later seasons when it gets all after school special-y, I don't think I could take those.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Americans is back in 1 week for the second last season of the show. Get hype! I just made the thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811968

Can a mod also fix the thread title for it? I'm tired and dumb and messed it up. It should be "The Americans S5: We begin bombing in five minutes - Regan | Tue @ 10ET, FX"
Edit: Thanks!

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 1, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hulu's selection of shows has gotten a lot worse since CW went to their own thing.

Hulu's movie selection has gotten a lot better since it started, but it's constantly rotating, so...

Hulu is a good source for foreign television. They have lots of British stuff, thry used to have a huge library or Korean stuff, and I think they have a lot of Spanish Language stuff on there.

It's a lot hsrder to recommend since criterion and cw hosed off, though.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans could have been so bad. All those goofy costumes every week and putting a lot of the dramatic weight on the unknown teen actress. If she was as bad as the daughter in Homeland it would have been a disaster. I also love the native russian speakers speaking russian and not making people use lovely russian accents in english. If it was an ABC show or something it would have been insufferable.

e: also hey look a Chicago law spinoff show

The Parks and Rec inside joke almost looks real. Same poses and everything.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 1, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGqeCvWLI0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ah yes, obscure British TV show Skins

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

Ah yes, obscure British TV show Skins

Skins isn't really known in America, dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And Youtube videos are only produced for American audiences?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple of good shows in there, though. And I really wanna check out that Apocalypse show one day.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I wondered why I'd never heard of it or even seen it before but then I noticed it got the Rob Lowe kiss of death.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

some?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I wondered why I'd never heard of it or even seen it before but then I noticed it got the Rob Lowe kiss of death.

Yeah same here. It looks great. It's not streaming anywhere though. :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

I was re-watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night and the end of the movie gag about Sarah getting recast in a NBC procedural about an animal psychic detective remains somehow seems less like hilarious parody now so much as a real show that could debut in September.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

Fair enough, but Skins is over a decade old now and not on a lot of international streaming services. I know it seems odd since most of us watch a lot of programs but Skins is probably largely overlooked nowadays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Americans could have been so bad. All those goofy costumes every week and putting a lot of the dramatic weight on the unknown teen actress. If she was as bad as the daughter in Homeland it would have been a disaster. I also love the native russian speakers speaking russian and not making people use lovely russian accents in english. If it was an ABC show or something it would have been insufferable.

e: also hey look a Chicago law spinoff show

Every Chicago OCCUPATION show is goddamned terrible and I always seem to be visiting the city when they're shooting on location and SHUTTING DOWN THE GODDAMNED TRAIN STATION I NEED TO GET OFF AT YOU loving ASSHOLES.

money worship
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I never post in this thread, but anyone not watching "Mary Kills People" is missing out. It's a really great serialized Canadian black dramedy (definitely more drama than comedy) airing on Global about a doctor who provides euthanasia as a side business, starring Caroline Dhavernas.

Then, suprisingly, things start to go sideways for her... It's loving great and you should definitely watch it

money worship fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 2, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vanderdeath posted:

Skins isn't really known in America, dude.

:what: It had an American adaptation on MTV a few years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nicholas Hoult got his start on Skins. It's also not that obscure, it was hugely popular on Netflix.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dev Patel too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Every Chicago OCCUPATION show is goddamned terrible and I always seem to be visiting the city when they're shooting on location and SHUTTING DOWN THE GODDAMNED TRAIN STATION I NEED TO GET OFF AT YOU loving ASSHOLES.

Personally I'm pumped for Chicago Frozen Yogurt Stand. I expect to see some real drama there.

• Locked thread