Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

I was irrationally afraid that Trump was going to take a Keynesian approach to the economy, which would probably help, and it would legitimize his racist policy proposals. I can't imagine that happening after watching the speech tonight. The applause was noticeably lower for any spending outaide of the military, and the House and Senate GOP can't even agree on the Obamacare demolition plan.
Here's that article if anyone wants to read it
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/steve-bannons-autobahn/

I think it was vaguely discussed with family many months ago that Trump could end up a do nothing president and if the GOP keeps spinning their wheels forever then that'd be very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Squizzle posted:

i just want the bridges on i-95 not to be deathtraps tho

If you live in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio, congratulations on your brand new infrastructure. Everyone else can get hosed.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Summing up the Democratic Party’s embrace of Silicon Valley and finance, [Bannon] gloats: “[The Democrats] were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It’s not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about.” For the most part, he’s right: the Democrats abandoned — even went to war with — labor, embracing the professional classes instead. Bannon’s rise on the back of a candidate who barely won more votes than Mitt Romney was only possible with the collapse of turn-of-the-century liberalism and its agents in the Democratic Party. Bannon (and Trump) would be nothing and nowhere without that implosion.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ScrubLeague posted:

If you live in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio, congratulations on your brand new infrastructure. Everyone else can get hosed.

I live in FL and the only "infrastructure" we're gonna get is toll roads that get sold to cronies of Trump and Rick Scott

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if u arent following @iammoshow i dont know what to tell u

https://twitter.com/iammoshow/status/820433589556822016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol if any money at all goes to infrastructure in florida, the entire fuckin' state's gone in ~20 years

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this special edition of hardball is pretty cathartic with people tearing their hair out from the insanity. Chris Matthews is even coming off as coherent some of the time

http://www.livenewschat.eu/politics/

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

how can you say he's mostly right when all the details are wrong. the dems abandoned labor before silicon valley was barely a thing

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

As much as we might loathe Obama for having no plan to revive the American working class, we should never have believed he or the Democratic Party would. Liberalism failed in the twenty-first century not because of any new developments but because it always had wild deficiencies, even at the peak of its powers. It was only worth a drat when there was a radical labor movement for it to co-opt and, reluctantly, invite into a political coalition.

Without working-class militancy, there was never going to be a new New Deal under Obama. And there certainly won’t be one under Trump. Does the Donald have a plan to spur a new wave of unionization with his very own Wagner Act? Or a proposal to go after the “donor class” Bannon claims to despise?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Trump winks and smirks at Nazis while the Democratic Party can barely disguise its contempt for Scandinavian social democracy — “whatever that means,” as Clinton said. Finland’s government-provided baby boxes are as likely to elicit howls of contempt from Democratic Party officials as a golden hammer and sickle. Leading left-of-center pundits now seem to regard liberalism’s most popular quasi-social-democratic achievements — Social Security, Medicare, the Wagner Act — as little more than the tainted products of a racist, sexist past. Meanwhile, the party’s leadership spent the better part of last year slandering its most popular politician — only very recently and reluctantly a member of that party — as a wild-eyed demagogue.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

"fly vigils fit zardoz sequel" anagrams to "give squizzle fifty dollars"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is the Bannon-Trump infrastructure "spending" plan still just tax breaks for construction and real estate investment companies, and privatization of the infrastructure for corporate profit, which is objectively a bad idea in all ways? Or is it actual spending, and a good idea?

My heart tells me the first one.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Was busy so I missed the speech but from reading twitter now it appears that trump is good now. I guess we really did just have to give him a chance.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

While etiquette can get people to wipe their mouths and use polite words for impolite concepts, it can never transform society. It can never defeat creeps like Bannon.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Did Trumpy give a good speechy

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
thats a pretty excellent piece and sums up a lot of problems with the democrats

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

That DICK! posted:

Did Trumpy give a good speechy

i'm hearing that it was, paraphrased "really fuckin fascist"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/billclarkphotos/status/836796285189488641

turtle is definitely 'my god what have we done' in this pic

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

for example,
Donald Trump creates Voice agency to publish list of crimes by immigrants

The President claimed that murders were being kept quiet by 'special interests'

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a helpful bear posted:

if i did that to my cat id lose my balls

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is the Bannon-Trump infrastructure "spending" plan still just tax breaks for construction and real estate investment companies, and privatization of the infrastructure for corporate profit, which is objectively a bad idea in all ways? Or is it actual spending, and a good idea?

My heart tells me the first one.

"Private and public infrastructure project funding" was what I heard. I'm assuming that means 10 : 1 tax breaks on toll roads to a paltry amount of publicly funded freeways.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

it's amazing how many jacobin articles gloss over the high speed rail infrastructure funding obama pushed that republicans tanked. it's like their entire mission statement is to paper over that one singular initiative

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

high speed rail is for coastal elites and not good ol country wall builders like myself

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Zas posted:

high speed rail is for coastal elites and not good ol country wall builders like myself

FL's governor killed it here, so not even for coastals

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

If this same list were about Black crime, everyone would know it's more about promoting fear and racism than protecting anyone. But thankfully Illegal Aliens are a safe scapegoat to attack.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Squizzle posted:

idk is he spending it all on candles or something

private-public partnerships are always idiot fuckups because the government pays for it but a private company gets to profit from it

(the majority of private-public infrastructure spending is for building toll roads or toll bridges)

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

he's right

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

a helpful bear posted:

I actually flinched when he kissed his cat. Mine would have clawed out my eyes

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

private-public partnerships are always idiot fuckups because the government pays for it but a private company gets to profit from it

(the majority of private-public infrastructure spending is for building toll roads or toll bridges)

yeah! thats the gist of what i remember. and there was more too.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MadJackal posted:

If this same list were about Black crime, everyone would know it's more about promoting fear and racism than protecting anyone. But thankfully Illegal Aliens are a safe scapegoat to attack.
Not once has the Trump Administration specified that it's only illegal immigrants. That article even points that out.

Some people just assume that.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 1, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's goddamned amazing

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

"fly vigils fit zardoz sequel" anagrams to "give squizzle fifty dollars"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

a helpful bear posted:

:cabot:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/billclarkphotos/status/836796285189488641

turtle is definitely 'my god what have we done' in this pic

hahaha this picture owns and im saying this as someone who hates trump

suck on that bitchell mconnell!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a helpful bear posted:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Fun fact! Breitbart literally had a black crime section of its news which did exactly that!

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Fat Iguana posted:

I actually flinched when he kissed his cat. Mine would have clawed out my eyes

ravioli is a sweetie pie

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Tatum Girlparts posted:

plz don't say nazis should be shot, it scares the 'ironic' trump supporter

they're called collaborators, and they should share a similar fate

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

a helpful bear posted:

:pgabz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Eh pictures don't say poo poo, and Mitch always looks terrified. Watching the livestream, at the moment of the McConnell photo, he was saying to Trump "that was so inspiring!".

• Locked thread