Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

What is with all this goalpost moving? I'm saying Saitama can't have been so weak as to suddenly implode from training, because we saw Crablante clearly kill people who are normal, yet here Saitama not only survives being knocked into a loving building of concrete that collapses, he proceeds to save the child from being outright killed, gets his tie around Crablante, which even if you'd argue is a stroke of luck, proceeds to yank his innards out.

A normal loving person couldn't do that by pure luck, you goal-post moving fuckheads.

The most damage we've seen a human take in this series is losing an arm right? Genos is a cyborg, he doesn't count.

Humans don't splatter like tomatoes. Monsters do though. Also we know Saitama isn't a normal person since he's the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elfgames posted:

Saitama gained strength after dedicating himself to being a hero, before that he was unfocused and drifting through life without a real purpose just getting whatever salaryman job he could

the exercise wasn't the important part it was dedicating himself to becoming " a hero who wins with one punch" that made him strong

He's still kind of unfocused and drifting through life, though?

He has a hobby he enjoys (that fortunately pays the bills) but it's not like he found some greater purpose. Even his hobby is often proves unsatisfying.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

The most damage we've seen a human take in this series is losing an arm right?

Ironically done by a human, ha ha ha.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

QuasiQuack posted:

Yeah, this. Why are y'all so obsessed with it?

Surely, how and why people get stronger is kind of crucial to One Punch Man. Genos wants to be as strong as Saitama, Fubuki wants to be as strong as Tatsumaki, etc. Now we're at the point where people willingly turn into monsters in order to get more powerful. It's a central theme of the manga. Why are you so opposed to discussing it? :shrug:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

Surely, how and why people get stronger is kind of crucial to One Punch Man. Genos wants to be as strong as Saitama, Fubuki wants to be as strong as Tatsumaki, etc. Now we're at the point where people willingly turn into monsters in order to get more powerful. It's a central theme of the manga. Why are you so opposed to discussing it? :shrug:

So many characters are looking for an easy explanation as to why some people are stronger than others, either for their own piece of mind or because they want to become strong themselves. Saitama's absurd strength suggests that no simple or comfortable explanation exists.

Monster cells might help to a point, as can being a cyborg or having a large toolkit, or training like a man possessed. But real, genuine strength like Saitama's is unaccountable.

It's not that explaining Saitama's strength doesn't benefit the story so much that it would actively work against everything the story has built up to.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think it's important to remember that Crablante got owned by a little boy with a permanent marker and a ballsack chin.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

The most damage we've seen a human take in this series is losing an arm right?

Asura did a lot more than take an arm off of those clones of the doctor I can't remember the name of.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Here's a big ol' part of autism for you guys.

The boss monster said that if you consume the monster gonads (not even the whole thing, just a small nibble), you either die or become a monster.

That is the ultimate bioweapon. Aerosolize the cells and spread it over the human public. The weak ones will die while the strong enough ones become allies in the monster cause.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EVIL Gibson posted:

The boss monster said that if you consume the monster gonads (not even the whole thing, just a small nibble), you either die or become a monster.

That is the ultimate bioweapon. Aerosolize the cells and spread it over the human public. The weak ones will die while the strong enough ones become allies in the monster cause.

He also said you have to take them willingly or it doesn't do anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Asura did a lot more than take an arm off of those clones of the doctor I can't remember the name of.

Oh right, I totally forgot about all the clones.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like how the OPM thread is still embroiled in a three year long war over power origins, while there has been a recent outbreak of power levels! in the DB thread so they're both arguing over the nature of power.

Although the DB thing was actually kicked off by a stat straight out of SimCity but you know what I mean.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

And More posted:

People want to become powerful in OPM because the are under the impression that OPM is about because being and becoming powerful, when it is actually about being and becoming a hero. Power is a distraction in OPM and not everything it's cracked up to be. That's why I think it's boring when people start trying to analyze how people become powerful. Genos's character arc is about making this very realization, that it doesn't matter how Saitama became so powerful. That's how he will give up his quest for power and revenge.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

People want to become powerful in OPM because the are under the impression that OPM is about because being and becoming powerful, when it is actually about being and becoming a hero. Power is a distraction in OPM and not everything it's cracked up to be. That's why I think it's boring when people start trying to analyze how people become powerful. Genos's character arc is about making this very realization, that it doesn't matter how Saitama became so powerful. That's how he will give up his quest for power and revenge.

^

And this is why Saitama and Mumen Rider are some of the best heroes in the setting, despite their vast power difference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiderdrake posted:

I like how the OPM thread is still embroiled in a three year long war over power origins, while there has been a recent outbreak of power levels! in the DB thread so they're both arguing over the nature of power.

Although the DB thing was actually kicked off by a stat straight out of SimCity but you know what I mean.

Oh, did we find out that Vegeta implemented the 9-9-9 tax plan on Vegeta before Vegeta left and both Vegeta and Vegeta were obliterated?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

you dont see him kill anybody, and he gets knocked away like 5 feet, not into a building of concrete that collapses. the only thing exceptional at that time is his fightin spirit

get these anime shitters off my manga discussion

He has blood on his claws and he says he killed people. And he still gets hit presumably full force by a crab monster.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Kild posted:

He has blood on his claws and he says he killed people. And he still gets hit presumably full force by a crab monster.

yeah right like im gonna believe some guy with drawn on nipples

license less rider got hit full force by the sea king, does he have superpowers? of course not, that would be dumb. saitama got hit and survived because he is a named character in this comic, just like rider

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hate to break your heart but Mumen Rider probably would have jobbed to Crablante

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

EVIL Gibson posted:

The HELCK thread is thataway -->

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So excited for Mumen Rider to loving paste Garou with his bicycle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

There will be nothing left to paste after Watchdog Man is through with him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

i played yakuza 0, if mumen rider has built up some Heat this will totally work

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

I thought the black on his claws was marker, from him trying to rub the fake nipples off.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh my god

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think the black on his claws is blood, it's just how they're colored. But yeah, crab dude admits to already killing a few people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Wrong thread!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

I don't think the black on his claws is blood, it's just how they're colored. But yeah, crab dude admits to already killing a few people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk41JMYcGWI

The anime shows blood everywhere then cuts to his bloody claws.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's actually fruit punch. It's extremely difficult to open a soft drink with big claws, you know.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Moltrey posted:

i played yakuza 0, if mumen rider has built up some Heat this will totally work

His bar is green tho. and BURNS WITH JUSTICE.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does anyone know where mumen rider's strength comes from?? surely that exercise regime wouldnt make him able to fight crime as hard as he does

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

does anyone know where mumen rider's strength comes from?? surely that exercise regime wouldnt make him able to fight crime as hard as he does

It comes from his burning spirit and noble soul.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe an alien gave him a sacred bravery amulet???

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk41JMYcGWI

The anime shows blood everywhere then cuts to his bloody claws.

Take to the anime thread boyo

There's no blood in the manga

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Take to the anime thread boyo

There's no blood in the manga

You're weird.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It ends up Crablante is just a big weak liar who goes around claiming to be a murderer and you're supposed to figure out he's lying because there's no blood

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Actually it turns out that saitama was just a regular guy who trained really hard and got super strong. He didn't have powers

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Isn't a theme of the Manga obsession? The characters are seem obsessed with something and become what they are obsessed with. Saitama wants to be a great hero - and is. The monsters created from humans are the product of obsession (crab dude, shadowboxing dudes), Fubuki is consumed with her obsession and insecurities about her sister.

It's not a perfect fit but it seems to be a big theme.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyges posted:

Oh, did we find out that Vegeta implemented the 9-9-9 tax plan on Vegeta before Vegeta left and both Vegeta and Vegeta were obliterated?
I don't know why I'm laughing at this.

Oh right, "Yes"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Isn't a theme of the Manga obsession? The characters are seem obsessed with something and become what they are obsessed with. Saitama wants to be a great hero - and is. The monsters created from humans are the product of obsession (crab dude, shadowboxing dudes), Fubuki is consumed with her obsession and insecurities about her sister.

It's not a perfect fit but it seems to be a big theme.

It is, yes, it's a huge flaw for a lot of characters.

E: I think a lot of Genos' character development, at least has come from trying to let go of that a bit.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is Saitama really a great hero tho

That giant he punched flattened a city

The meteor he punched destroyed a city

He killed Boros, but not before his ship destroyed a city - and then crashed on the remains of the city

He is a good hero. An adequate hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saitama's not perfect, not like Mumen Rider or King.