Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RagnarokAngel posted:

For a game like yakuza it's the kitchen sink approach where they want to let you do a bunch of stuff even if it doesn't necessarily jive as a whole.

I understand that, but this game actually rewards you for completing things, with points that let you get a variety of upgrades, or even the golden pistol, so I want to finish them. I just don't want to have to do them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm sorry but Yakuza gambling is actually good :colbert:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

also if im understanding the rules of cho han correctly you should always bet even? that doesnt sound like a house advantage

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Persona 1 has the best gambling. Those slot machines are awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

im pooping! posted:

also if im understanding the rules of cho han correctly you should always bet even? that doesnt sound like a house advantage

I'm not entirely sure what happens - I think that the house only collects a percentage of profits as the gamblers bet against each other, essentially...or something. Point is that it's a dumb game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

im pooping! posted:

You should always bet odd, actually. The most common result of rolling 2d6 is 7.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Who What Now posted:

You should always bet odd, actually. The most common result of rolling 2d6 is 7.

Yes, which is great if you want to know what number you're going to roll, but there are eighteen odd and eighteen even sum results from rolling two six sided dice. The probability of getting a six or an eight, put together, is just shy of double the chance of rolling a seven (10/36 vs 6/36). It all comes down to even odds, no pun intended.

Imagine it this way, if your first die lands on an odd number, the total will be even if the second die is odd, or odd if the second one is even. It's 50/50.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Mar 1, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

Yes, which is great if you want to know what number you're going to roll, but there are eighteen odd and eighteen even sum results from rolling two six sided dice. The probability of getting a six or an eight, put together, is just shy of double the chance of rolling a seven (10/36 vs 6/36). It all comes down to even odds, no pun intended.

Imagine it this way, if your first die lands on an odd number, the total will be even if the second die is odd, or odd if the second one is even. It's 50/50.

http://i.imgur.com/fmCx4Ob.gifv

Too bad, it was a 7.

Overwatch: Not sure if its somewhere in-game and I'm missing it, but I wish there was a breakdown of what killed you, or maybe damage+healing receive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

holy poo poo, that's an interesting read on the character.

he can't stop making metal gears, and his latest creation that's meant to outdo all the previous ones is an unfinished mess that requires bullshit mysticism to "work" properly.

And despite knowing full well that in a few years they make the first real metal gear anyway, people can't stop getting bent out of shape that this specific metal gear is so bad.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
being detained by his employers from finishing his work, and not even receiving recognition for his efforts in the end.

hell, maybe battle gear is a metaphor for the entire game in general.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I've been enjoying Hollow Knight recently. Really great metroidvania with satisfying combat and sort of a dark souls-ish story telling.

I just wish the save points weren't so poorly placed throughout the world. Died to a boss and now I have to traverse like half the zone to get back.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

being detained by his employers from finishing his work, and not even receiving recognition for his efforts in the end.

hell, maybe battle gear is a metaphor for the entire game in general.

Considering that Huey is wearing Kojima's glasses when he's exiled from Mother Base, that's not much of a stretch.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
good lord, do you think he knew already that they were gonna take the metal gear franchise and make it a survival game with zombies and warned everyone covertly with the lovely SKULLS fights?

holy poo poo, Styx has a sidequest where you steal the main antagonist's wife's ashes. and it counts as loot.

i'm not even mad, that's a clever way of contextualizing treasure to make the player character a reprehensible person.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Action Tortoise posted:

good lord, do you think he knew already that they were gonna take the metal gear franchise and make it a survival game with zombies and warned everyone covertly with the lovely SKULLS fights?

Kojima might be crazy enough to do it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the metaphor only really works if the unfinished Battle Gear was nonetheless insanely good, though

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Torment: Tides of Numenera has an isometric faux 2D sort of view meaning you're at a fixed camera angle all game and just pan around the map.
This is a massive, massive pain in the rear end when trying to position your characters for attacks with an arc or area effect. If an enemy stands closer to the camera then its model blocks the ground behind it from view - you can't go there since your mouse will snap to the enemy to attack it. Divinity: Original Sin avoided this problem by having a toggle to go to a top down perspective.
Combine that with no in-fight saving and o ability to undo a move if you walked somewhere you are actually unable to hit/interact with anything and you'll be frustrated occasionally.

...Other than that it's exactly the prosaic, interactive, beautiful spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment I wanted.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Action Tortoise posted:

holy poo poo, Styx has a sidequest where you steal the main antagonist's wife's ashes. and it counts as loot.

i'm not even mad, that's a clever way of contextualizing treasure to make the player character a reprehensible person.

Is that... bad? Or did you get this thread confused with the Little Things thread? I do that a lot.

Your posts got me to give Styx another shot, btw.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Who What Now posted:

Is that... bad? Or did you get this thread confused with the Little Things thread? I do that a lot.

Your posts got me to give Styx another shot, btw.

nice :c00lbutt:

it's a good thing, I post positive things here every now and then to temper the inherently negative tone this thread will generate.

I like it because it's so cartoonishly evil. like the devs probably did it to show how edgy and badass Styx is at sticking it to Barimen but it just feels so loving petty to steel someone's dead wife's remains.

it's like the sacrifice room in god of war where you're basically pushing a block but the block is a guy in a cage begging you not to do it. it's a mundane task dressed up as something evil and horrific.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Action Tortoise posted:

it's like the sacrifice room in god of war where you're basically pushing a block but the block is a guy in a cage begging you not to do it. it's a mundane task dressed up as something evil and horrific.

Things dragging down the original God of War: That loving sacrifice room

Being the dumb idiot I am, I start pretty much any action games on hard or higher and always refuse to lower difficulty, for some reason that room almost more than anything else in the series, gave me some ungodly (Heh) amount of hell because I got there/to the checkpoint with super low health and so had to deal with all the buffed up dudes that keep spawning forever, while carting this soldier up to the barbecue.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

what are you even talking about? if were strictly talking about the sum, there are 11 results, 6 even and 5 odd

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

what am i even talking about, im glad i havent played that game it sounds dumber than me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im pooping! posted:

what are you even talking about? if were strictly talking about the sum, there are 11 results, 6 even and 5 odd

There are 36 ways to get those 11 results, 18 result in even sums, 18 result in odd sums, it's completely 50/50, jfc dude learn some math

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There are 36 ways to get those 11 results, 18 result in even sums, 18 result in odd sums, it's completely 50/50, jfc dude learn some math

He's right though there are 11 possible rolls with 2 dice:

1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
1 5
1 6
2 1
2 2
2 3
2 4
2 5

and that's it, jeez.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

:whatup:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

3 4?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm not very far into Horizon:Zero Dawn, but I hate that when using Focus you walk so God-drat slow.

I get that the developers didn't want you to have it on all the time, so there's a trade-off between the info you get and your speed, but the reduction is too much, IMO.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

please do not troll

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

2 5 is the highest roll there is, fuhgetaboutit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh good it's time to resolve the Monty Hall problem by bashing our diseased idiot heads together until they break

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nostradingus posted:

Considering that Huey is wearing Kojima's glasses when he's exiled from Mother Base, that's not much of a stretch.

More specifically, he starts wearing them after they destroy his original pair with the metallic archaea during an interrogation.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

More specifically, he starts wearing them after they destroy his original pair with the metallic archaea during an interrogation.

i'm really annoyed that's the scene where miller and ocelot have the most personality in the entire game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

im pooping! posted:

Two odd numbers added together or two even numbers added together will always result in an even number. An odd number added to an even number will always result in an odd number. So regardless of what you roll on the first die, the second die has a 50% chance to land on something that will result in an odd number and 50% chance to land on something that will result in an even number.

For example, if you roll a 3 on the first die then a roll of 1, 3 or 5 on the second die comes up even, a roll of 2, 4 or 6 comes up odd. 50/50.

It's the same as flipping two coins but only caring about whether they match, not what side they actually land on.

25% H H (match)
25% H T (no match)
25% T H (no match)
25% T T (match)

50/50.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I completed a master mission in Path of Exile and the master spawned in in such a way that he blocked a door, with no way to move him.

I didn't need to go through that door, but it was extremely rude nonetheless.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Two odd numbers added together or two even numbers added together will always result in an even number. An odd number added to an even number will always result in an odd number. So regardless of what you roll on the first die, the second die has a 50% chance to land on something that will result in an odd number and 50% chance to land on something that will result in an even number.

For example, if you roll a 3 on the first die then a roll of 1, 3 or 5 on the second die comes up even, a roll of 2, 4 or 6 comes up odd. 50/50.

It's the same as flipping two coins but only caring about whether they match, not what side they actually land on.

25% H H (match)
25% H T (no match)
25% T H (no match)
25% T T (match)

50/50.

thank you tiggum that is helpful

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The best part is the Yakuza games often have items that allow you to stack the RNG/Odds in your favour.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Styx is definitely a budget title.

the bugs in this game work on sound, but only the sounds you make. there's a room in one of the midgame levels with three guards and two bugs. the bugs will always search for you when you kill even if it's a muffled kill, which has so far been considered silent in the game. this reduces the combat in the room into a kill order: bugs first, then people. and if there's more than one bug in the room - which is always, btw - you're either waiting for quite a bit until the bug deaggros (which is longer than what the caution symbol above its head indicates because it will immediately turn hostile if you make noise too early after it calms down), or you waste your throwing knives on the drat things.

that would all be fine if the bugs or the people reacted to each others' presence. it feels like the ai can't support that level of complexity.

the game has good design choices in terms of upping the difficulty. the full plate knights are great because they prevent direct removal but are still susceptible to indirect removal. the change in environment into domestic areas with lanterns instead of torches remove your ability to affect the environment so you have to learn to adapt to the environment. but the bugs don't have many removal options and don't interact with the rest of the game world in a way that the player can affect.

that, and I don't think the upgrade for silent running while invisible works.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watch Dogs 2 is a surprisingly good game, but easily its greatest sin is the awful nerdcore "hack all the things" song it's always playing that gets stuck in my head constantly so I'm always hearing some nasal-voiced white guy rapping lines like "So before, they'll see me after, I'm Advice dog, Courage Wolf, plus Philosoraptor" and "My disaster recovery requires even more disks."

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is a surprisingly good game, but easily its greatest sin is the awful nerdcore "hack all the things" song it's always playing that gets stuck in my head constantly so I'm always hearing some nasal-voiced white guy rapping lines like "So before, they'll see me after, I'm Advice dog, Courage Wolf, plus Philosoraptor" and "My disaster recovery requires even more disks."

I don't think I ever heard this song in the game. How did I get so lucky?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Croccers posted:

The best part is the Yakuza games often have items that allow you to stack the RNG/Odds in your favour.

Guess what items Yakuza 0 does not, in fact, contain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gitro posted:

I completed a master mission in Path of Exile and the master spawned in in such a way that he blocked a door, with no way to move him.

I didn't need to go through that door, but it was extremely rude nonetheless.

I once nearly died because I was running away from a boss, came to a corrupted den and Tora teleported into my way.