Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

It's probably the best weapon you can get before the postgame.

I used it for the entirety of the main plot and never had a problem, so it's worth getting if you want to just not worry about Notctis' weapons for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally started playing this again. On my current playthrough I was curious how much XP I could bank from chapters 2-8 to dump on Altissia. So doing just about every quest except a few ones (last dave quest, rainbow frogs, power plant lady, and those 2 dungeons I cannot remember their name right now) I reached Altissia with just over 400k XP. It boosted me from 22 to 75.

The first levels came from free stay in Galdin + farming 2-3 cactuars to get me enough levels to mostly breeze through the early game.

And now I can breeze through the rest of the game. Oh this also gave me like 800 AP.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I just started and decided to try out wait mode, am I supposed to be able to move the camera? It auto focuses on enemies and I can't seem to swing it around and look at warp spots or anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tophet posted:

It auto focuses on enemies and I can't seem to swing it around and look at warp spots or anything.

Yep. Has to freeze where your screen is looking.its dumb

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
How the gently caress do you beat the Costlemark menace dungeon?!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SalTheBard posted:

How the gently caress do you beat the Costlemark menace dungeon?!

Don't gently caress up.

Seriously, though. Create a bunch of magic spells with 100 healing attribute and equip everyone with it.

Ignis is invaluable. Switch between Ignis' Overwhelm and Regroup as needed. Regroup brings you back from 0 HP. Gladio's 3 point skill is great against multiple enemies.

And the most important thing, get the lasagna recipe from Altissia. It gives you a solid HP boost and makes you immune against elemental attacks.

Apart from that, be careful, and merciless , and it shouldn't be too bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Also farm a boatload of Zu Beaks so you can make 999 power break damage limit spells for all 3 elements.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I keep dying on the fight with like, five iron giants or whatever. Two I can save up armiger for to whack down one and severely gently caress up the other, but the room with 5 is retarded.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DelphiAegis posted:

I keep dying on the fight with like, five iron giants or whatever. Two I can save up armiger for to whack down one and severely gently caress up the other, but the room with 5 is retarded.

That one was the hardest for me. I won by focusing on staying alive, only hitting them when it was safe to do so. Use hit and run tactics and build up your Armiger meter. Try running away and separate them, and use your sword teleport to get away when things get hairy. Try to keep Ignis alive - he saved me twice with regroup. Don't bother reviving the others unless you are absolutely sure you can do it without getting hit. When I did it they killed Prompto and Gladius in seconds. It's doable, but I'd say it's the hardest fight of the dungeon. I only had/used a single Zu beak, but it does help if you have some strong magic as well.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
A stupid drop ship just dropped some soldiers on me and I decided to fight even though I wanted to just keep running on my way. Well, the game crashed during the battle and corrupted my save file. I guess the last back up on PS+ or whatever was weeks old (though it should do it every night I thought). I lost at least 3 hours of gameplay. I'm thinking closer to 5. I haven't been able to play much in the past few months.

edit: nm, that must have been a local backup that FF15 does automatically, I was able to download my latest saves from the PS+ cloud backup. That crash should not have happened though during a battle... and shouldn't have corrupted a save file

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 27, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I just bought this game on PS4. I'm doing the tutorial but I can't figure out how to get to the menu to switch out weapons and craft spells. Everytime I hit the Options button it just takes me to the PS4 options menu to adjust the game. That isn't what I want. I managed to go to the weapons menu by accident a few times but I don't know how to recreate it. Please help.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

HIJK posted:

I just bought this game on PS4. I'm doing the tutorial but I can't figure out how to get to the menu to switch out weapons and craft spells. Everytime I hit the Options button it just takes me to the PS4 options menu to adjust the game. That isn't what I want. I managed to go to the weapons menu by accident a few times but I don't know how to recreate it. Please help.

hit the touchpad to access the menu. The options does other settings.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

hit the touchpad to access the menu. The options does other settings.

Ah! Thank you!!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

HIJK posted:

Ah! Thank you!!

No problem. You can also access the map and other elements using R3. And being in the car brings up different menus with those buttons. Play around a bit and orient yourself.

Also play around with different control schemes. I prefer the one that uses L1 for defending, square for attack and circle for warp/attack. That way it is quicker to defend and attack rather than going from square to circle when doing a quick defend (or phase or whatever the game calls it).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

No problem. You can also access the map and other elements using R3. And being in the car brings up different menus with those buttons. Play around a bit and orient yourself.

Also play around with different control schemes. I prefer the one that uses L1 for defending, square for attack and circle for warp/attack. That way it is quicker to defend and attack rather than going from square to circle when doing a quick defend (or phase or whatever the game calls it).

I know what you mean. I'll fiddle with different customizations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally finished the game

jesus the last few chapters were awful as gently caress

Hi im a robut, hi we did some stuff for 10 years, etc I hope the dlc touches base on that...

That being said I've been playing the Totomostro game, it's additicive as gently caress

but christ it takes a LONG time to get to 1m, even when you get lucky and bet 9999. I've bought the cheap stuff so far but.....3.6m for a car part :wtc:

On that note: ALWAYS BET ON THE DOGS (more = better)

1. couerl most of the time
2. dogs
3. double rhino
4. gianttoad

the rest are just about equivalently lovely. sometimes you get a random demon spawn but other than spider lady they're all garbage. I find that couerls are fine if there are big creatures out but if there are packs out, the packs rip poo poo into the couerl

Generally lower level dogs in bigger pack numbers are usually a safer bet than higher level dogs in low numbers. Generally, it's usually safe to bet on the thing that has higher numbers, but dogs have easily the highest chances to win, it's stupid.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That being said I've been playing the Totomostro game, it's additicive as gently caress

I kind of wish the arena had a companion phone app or something. I enjoy it too but it feels silly booting up my PS4 just to pick options from a menu repeatedly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I also finished the game recently. I think I experienced the video game version of :tif:. I kept reassuring myself that the game was okay and that all the good stuff I enjoyed totally makes the stuff I'm currently not enjoying acceptable.

Because I madly consumed supplemental materials, I kept thinking that it was all going to pay off here. In a way, consuming mad amounts of supplemental materials sort of makes it worse, since it seems weird when you've seen all the effort they've put into a character to, say, find out their fate on a random newspaper, or just hear second-hand some talk about what happened to them but you never see them nonetheless. It's sort of in a weird space because not much of the game matters if it doesn't relate to the Cup Noodle Gang in some way, but if you don't bother to read up the universe on everyone else you'll never exactly understand why the Cup Noodle Gang is invested in the adventure.

I'm surprised they tested the game at all without realizing that the amount of noises and grunting from the characters, and the amount of banter, is just a bit much. I don't know how many times I heard about how it's not good to throw daggers in the dark, the characters seem to apologize at random for "stand and hold O" actions, and lategame everyone went into wild mood swings as they couldn't remember whether I was a friend to be proud of or an insensitive jerk trying to get Ignis killed. The amount of "HRRRRNNN" and tongue-clicking over simply touching somebody's hitbox while trying to dash down a tiny corridor was also weird. Final Fantasy has had your party follow you since 8. The last one where everyone just walked into the main character's body and was consumed was 7. You know players bump into the AI tail a lot, this isn't your first rodeo.

Finally, I guess they decided they ran out of buttons on the PS4 controller, because Wait Mode really should have been a button rather than a universal toggle (especially if something as important as Libra is only found there), and like everybody else I ran into the "jumping repeatedly while trying to open a door" problem and the "chocobo jump button is different than your usual jump button" problem.

In conclusion, I'd appreciate it if for Glady's chapter that he just forgets his airheaded dudefriends existed and goes adventuring with his sister instead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I also finished the game recently. I think I experienced the video game version of :tif:. I kept reassuring myself that the game was okay and that all the good stuff I enjoyed totally makes the stuff I'm currently not enjoying acceptable.

Because I madly consumed supplemental materials, I kept thinking that it was all going to pay off here. In a way, consuming mad amounts of supplemental materials sort of makes it worse, since it seems weird when you've seen all the effort they've put into a character to, say, find out their fate on a random newspaper, or just hear second-hand some talk about what happened to them but you never see them nonetheless. It's sort of in a weird space because not much of the game matters if it doesn't relate to the Cup Noodle Gang in some way, but if you don't bother to read up the universe on everyone else you'll never exactly understand why the Cup Noodle Gang is invested in the adventure.

Yeah I'm glad I never watched Kingsglaive or Brotherhood because my friends that did got incredibly hyped up to see the payoff and there was none. I was confused all the time sure but at least I wasn't invested in any of it

I remember people talking about a dead character you find near the end of the game that was only a character in the movies and that's just lazy

As rushed as the story was I feel like if you do a decent amount of the sidequests you kind of get a feel for the bond the chocobros have, and that was enough to make the ending really land imo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I'm glad I never watched Kingsglaive or Brotherhood because my friends that did got incredibly hyped up to see the payoff and there was none. I was confused all the time sure but at least I wasn't invested in any of it
Kingsglaive is fine, I'd actually suggest it just for an inoffensive CGI anime movie loaded with fanservice. Any movie where Ultros is a minor antagonist and you see a kaiju do warp strikes on airships is good enough for me.
Brotherhood is mostly skippable but the last episode provides a critical clue on how how Noctis spent that summer with a girl on the other side of the world.

quote:

I remember people talking about a dead character you find near the end of the game that was only a character in the movies and that's just lazy
It was odd because they made an in-game model for that guy just to see him dead once. They could have killed Cor instead and it would have had at least a small emotional heft for most players.

edit: The thing they probably need to talk about most will probably be in Prompto's chapter, because that engineering guy who shows up only once but has a ton of renders and goes back to Versus XIII is supposedly his father. And it's not at all clear why the hell the Empire was turning humans into robot dolls to begin with. I kind of assume that their entire population turning into a horde of monsters was a trick Ardyn played on them on not the Emperor's original intention.

The Empire in Kingsglaive and maybe the first couple hours is a lot like Baron from 4. They like to use their airships to do things nobody else can like blast cities with cannons or, for a real gently caress-you, they airlift in Diamond Weapons that you never see in FF15 itself. The Empire after Gauldin Quay is a lot like Cocoon from 13 and doing stupid poo poo that benefits one guy and this time the guy isn't even a Space Pope.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 27, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Kingsglaive is fine, I'd actually suggest it just for an inoffensive CGI anime movie loaded with fanservice. Any movie where Ultros is a minor antagonist and you see a kaiju do warp strikes on airships is good enough for me.
Brotherhood is mostly skippable but the last episode provides a critical clue on how how Noctis spent that summer with a girl on the other side of the world.

It was odd because they made an in-game model for that guy just to see him dead once. They could have killed Cor instead and it would have had at least a small emotional heft for most players.

edit: The thing they probably need to talk about most will probably be in Prompto's chapter, because that engineering guy who shows up only once but has a ton of renders and goes back to Versus XIII is supposedly his father. And it's not at all clear why the hell the Empire was turning humans into robot dolls to begin with. I kind of assume that their entire population turning into a horde of monsters was a trick Ardyn played on them on not the Emperor's original intention.

I kind of thought like everything else with Ardyn it was just a kefka throwback

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How do I access the timed hunt area? I walked nearby but it's behind some cliffs.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's more just an Easter egg for people that have seen the movie, I think. Nyx dies in Klingsglaive anyway, so it's not like a reveal anyway. It kind of makes sense, actually, as Ardyn taunting Noctis. Noct almost certainly met or knew Nyx, as a member of his father's bodyguard, and he died from using the ring's power. Ardyn seems to know how the prophecy plays out, so he knows Noct is going to try to use the ring to kill him and die in the process, so waving Nyx's body around is a sort of "you'll end up like this guy if you gently caress up" kind of thing.

Of course, like most things in XV that possibility of something interesting is missed and only barely hinted. Oh well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finally finished the game

jesus the last few chapters were awful as gently caress

Hi im a robut, hi we did some stuff for 10 years, etc I hope the dlc touches base on that...

I want to say this, but those last few chapters hit me pretty hard emotionally. I don't remember feeling that way ever since the ending to Secret of Mana

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A rumour hit reddit recently about future content for this and it gels well with what was on 4chan a little while back

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/5wblmt/spoilers_ffxv_upcoming_updates_leak/

e: scratch that, it's a lazy copy paste of another 4chan leak

(Open new tab it)
https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/368579374#p368579374
This link isn't going to last forever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 27, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

To anyone who hasn't finished the story, don't read this yet.

Alder posted:

How do I access the timed hunt area? I walked nearby but it's behind some cliffs.

I don't think you're in the right area because I didn't see any cliffs when I did it yesterday.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This sounds amazing but also sounds far fetched. Unlike that other piece of fan wank, I want to believe. Maybe peopke were right and they'll come back to this game a year from now and it'll be a completely different experience.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
IS Prompto a robot? I thought the reveal was that he was originally a Niflheim citizen and some aspect of that is what allowed him the access.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

IS Prompto a robot? I thought the reveal was that he was originally a Niflheim citizen and some aspect of that is what allowed him the access.

He was a test tube baby intended to become raw materials for a Magitek soldier conversion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really thought that I would be done with this game after I platted it but I'm pretty sure that as long as I have stuff to do I'll still be picking it up from time to time, which is really cool. I spent like 5 hours doing hunts and postgame dungeons grinding out Gladio's exploration working towards said plat and didn't even notice the time flying by.

Reeeeeeally dreading the Costelmark no item dungeon though.

Speaking of which, can I get back to the room the entrance to that is in after fighting the Jabberwock? I need to kill it for a hunt and would like to just do both at once.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oxxidation posted:

He was a test tube baby intended to become raw materials for a Magitek soldier conversion.

I literally laughed out loud at this bit because it was obviously supposed to be this huge reveal but there was absolutely zero emotional weight behind it

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fridge corn posted:

I literally laughed out loud at this bit because it was obviously supposed to be this huge reveal but there was absolutely zero emotional weight behind it

The reveal was bad but I still liked it because of Prompto's facial animation and how none of the Bros gave a poo poo either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's the Weapon Story for Noctis' Engine Blade in the NieR: Automata.

"A small prince rests alone in a vast, vast bedroom. He wishes his father knew how much he hates sleeping alone, but he doesn’t dare to tell him. For the king is very busy man and must not be disturbed.

A king sits alone in his vast, vast office, drowning in affairs of state. All he wants is to see his family and hug his son, but he cannot. For his every waking moment must be spent in service of the people.

One day, while eating dinner, the king asks his son what he most desires in the world. He hopes he will say that he wants them to spend more time together, but instead the boy simply points at a sword hanging on the wall.

The ancient sword is considered the sign that one is ready to rule. “Someday” the king chuckles. His son faintly smiles back at him. All he really wanted was for his father to read him a bedtime story…"

I like it, but I guess technically, it's talking about the wrong sword in FFXV.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You could make a strong case that that's better than the entire story of ff15

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

IcePhoenix posted:

Reeeeeeally dreading the Costelmark no item dungeon though.
You absolutely have to go in there with a plan.

The primary plan is enough ingredients to make the lasagna that nullifies fire/ice/lightning and gives you 4000 HP six times, fat stacks of all three types of limit break magic from farming zu beaks or getting wind-up vexoss dolls from the Altissia pinball machine, and figuring out in short order which enemies have what weaknesses and are worth dropping a nuke (or two) on.

For back-up you should bring a bunch of cup noodles to use as catalysts, creating 3 spells that completely restore HP for just 1 cup and one point of energy, and don't count as items. The AI is terrible at using them, though.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I just went in with the Zwills, ate 100% crit food, slapped some ribbons on, and tore poo poo up. Didn't use any magic aside from healcasts, which are piss easy to make. Died to the midboss once but I just went back in wearing the fireproof hazmat suit and had no problem. Same with the actual boss. The room with the Iron Giants is definitely tough, so I'd craft a couple spells for them, but you don't need to go nuts. Ribbons definitely help with the necromancer guys and some other enemies. Safety bits for the Coeurls as well, but I just used armiger whenever one showed up.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The Coeurls were the worst for me. I ran out of ingredients to make the null all elements lasagna but having the guaranteed crit buff helped a lot - doubly so with the armiger.

You can also make level 99 healcasts using 4 potions. Dirt cheap and the healcast will also restore maximum hp lost as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So after binging this game hard for like a week straight I'm finally in Chapter 12 sitting at a train station waiting for Biggs and Wedge to whisk me away. Am I about to run out of game? Did I really spend more time in Chapter 1 than Chapters 9-12 combined?

Also, is the very first story quest in Altissia really meant to do that? Does the city have a bunch of sidequests (other than hunts) that I missed by talking to Hillary Clinton and should now go back for? Because that seems like a really weird design decision.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No there's only hunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wolfsheim posted:

So after binging this game hard for like a week straight I'm finally in Chapter 12 sitting at a train station waiting for Biggs and Wedge to whisk me away. Am I about to run out of game? Did I really spend more time in Chapter 1 than Chapters 9-12 combined?

Also, is the very first story quest in Altissia really meant to do that? Does the city have a bunch of sidequests (other than hunts) that I missed by talking to Hillary Clinton and should now go back for? Because that seems like a really weird design decision.

Yea, a lot of content was cut (and by that, I mean never finished). Wait till you get to the next few chapters and it will become even more obvious.

• Locked thread