Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

You out doing this weird pre-anti-people-who-I-think-are-console-warriors is worse than this proposed (but hasn't happened yet) argument you are putting forth imho

If it cuts off the console warriors then its way better imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

StarkRavingMad posted:

If it cuts off the console warriors then its way better imho

These strawmen you've made up don't exist. Your conflating "console warrior" with "I don't want a hardware shcism in PC gaming."

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I super like the business talk, don't ban it :[

e: and yeah I was talking about the $300 headsets so thanks again

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The Rift is the better headset and I feel bad how HTC is CONNING people into paying an extra $100 for the comfort that comes standard with the Rift. RIP HTC and Valve.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Tracking is now flawless on the Rift. The Rift has better controlers, more immersion, better presence, more comfortable, less sde, more AAA games........need I go on?????

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
You heard the man. Wrap it up, Viveailures.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Tracking is now flawless on the Rift.

lold irl

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Poetic Justice posted:

The Rift is the better headset and I feel bad how HTC is CONNING people into paying an extra $100 for the comfort that comes standard with the Rift. RIP HTC and Valve.

Poetic Justice posted:

Tracking is now flawless on the Rift. The Rift has better controlers, more immersion, better presence, more comfortable, less sde, more AAA games........need I go on?????

Source your quotes.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm going to quote myself from the last time we tried to talk about the MS headsets coming in March.

TomR posted:

Looks like some new VR stuff coming in March. Again no tracked controllers, but I think VR hardware development is going to speed up a ton. It's not going to be Vive and Oculus only for long.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3158222/virtual-reality/microsofts-first-tethered-windows-10-vr-headsets-to-ship-in-march.html

Stereoscopic tracking on the headsets, no need for base stations or cameras. PSVR style headbands. Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc. MS API has stuff for controllers but nothing announced.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I don't mind the platform chat, seems absurd to keep it out especially given this thread is pretty quiet most of the time. If things get out of hand Knifegrab will just be banned again (because it is his destiny) and we'll all go back to business as usual.

Knifegrab posted:

Quoting this for posterity. Anyone who thinks Oculus isn't trying their hardest to move towards a walled-garden model is kidding themselves. ReVive works now, but you can bet your butt Oculus will kill it eventually if they do decide to stick with Hardware production.

If Oculus ditches the hardware angle and just tries to become a platform competitive with Steam that would be best for everyone because then they'd be encouraged to open their software up to all HMD's. But if they keep focussing on hardware they will use exclusivity and walled-garden nonsense to both drive consumers to their headset and then lock them into a walled-garden.

This isn't a conspiracy or anti-Oculus post, its just a reality of business.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens - for one thing, they've said since the beginning they do want it to be a platform for hardware other than theirs. Their excuse for keeping Vive out has been something to do with them wanting Vive to go straight off the Oculus SDK instead of through SteamVR/OpenVR first or whatever (I think. May be misremembering).
But the other side of it is that I do think there are differing viewpoints high up in Oculus about this. Jason Rubin (head of content development or something) has been getting more and more prominent as a public face of Oculus, and he seems to feel the core of his job is 'get Oculus the best content and get everyone on the platform'. Conversely, I think the hardware guys - and consequently the top management of the company - really want to have their hardware and (perhaps more importantly) the SDK platform being put above all else. If you've listened to Nate Mitchell talk about these issues it's a pretty different attitude to what you get out of Rubin.
The fact that they unblocked ReVive and they have at least a couple people working on a mic fix for it shows that the pro-open platform people have at least some sway in the company I think. But, while I don't agree with you that it's 'kidding yourself' to think that Oculus isn't going full walled-garden at some point, ...they may do so. In reality however the determining question will probably come down to 'can top-grade VR hardware ever be profitable?' If it can, and Oculus thinks they can be the next Apple or whatever, then at the point it does then they may want to make their platform hardware-exclusive so they can use it as a tool to get people to buy their hardware. But if this level of VR hardware never becomes particularly profitable (same as top-end games consoles) then there is no reason to make their platform hardware-exclusive, as the only real source of profit for them will be their platform/store.

Who the gently caress knows at this point. Their approach to their overall strategy (make VR the Next Big Thing) has been pretty confused from the beginning.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone see this yet? New Oculus exclusive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeweGGfiKQ

3-player Co-op VR based on FTL (faster than light) with FPS elements, by the makers of Chronos and Dead and Buried.

Lemming posted:

This is gonna be real good. It has joystick locomotion too!
This looks awesome. From Chronos and Dead & Buried I'm already a big fan of Gunfire Games, they are on point.
A bunch more 2017 games have been announced by Oculus, poo poo look siiiiick: https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-new-oculus-games/
And more to come today I think?

e: one of them is a proper RTS 'from the people who made AoE II'. I've been waiting for something like this (even if the maps look a little small):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxEBhqNqgY

e2: and a more in-depth look at From Other Suns. 3-player co-op but you can play singleplayer too: https://uploadvr.com/from-other-suns-gdc-preview/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 1, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yesterday was pretty much the biggest so far for VR software news. Seems like this year will be on pace to justify the Rift buy-in, looking forward to these games a bunch.

I'm guessing they'll try to make some price cuts or bundles to try and push adoption too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Are there any movement options for Pavlov? It makes me sick where Onward doesn't. I think it might just be the slower pace of Onward where you're not just zooming around the map the whole game.

It's a shame because that's what I WANT to do - I really liked the combat of Pavlov. Also the interface is a little more forgiving than Onward. I just also don't want to puke.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Word is Robo Recall is getting released today.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fooz posted:

Hopefully this LG headset is the best yet. Computers seem to be getting pretty beastly at the top end and could run some insane quality.

Knowing LG, it will work for just over a year then end up bootlooping endlessly requiring a replacement/repair/SOL just in time for the next one.

Also

iceaim posted:

It's far from super mediore. Also I just picked up Trixter VR due to EdEddnEddy's recommendation.

Keep me posted. I liked the way it looked but have not bought it yet but want to. Actually might have some time this week to check out some more VR stuff till Friday at least. Woo!

Super excited for the Nvidia 1080Ti since it was announced at a not too stupid price that I really didn't expect them to launch it at. Over Titan X(p) performance for 1/2 price. Yes Please.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Per The Verge, Rift and Touch have each been dropped $100 to make a complete system $598.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Per The Verge, Rift and Touch have each been dropped $100 to make a complete system $598.

:popeye:

Edit: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1081190428622821/

free if you got Touch, neato

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 1, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm installing Robo Recall right now.

Edit: Sensors are also 60 dollars now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"Oh gently caress! Oh poo poo! People aren't buying these as fast as we thought they were going to! Deploy the Facebook money!"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

AndrewP posted:

God damnit I just bought mine February 3rd too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No way to get robo recall for free with vive controllers on revive I'm assuming?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Walrus posted:

No way to get robo recall for free with vive controllers on revive I'm assuming?

I'm not sure. I don't think it was included with the key you get with touch. I think it just unlocks when you activate touch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The $600 Rift is going to make some waves I think. That's the same price as the PS3 at launch, and slightly more games than its library overall!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Presumably when you set up ReVive you have to 'set up' Touch too? So Vive users will be ok to play Robo Recall for free.
Re: pricing... hot drat. Good news if it gets more people in but pretty painful from our end.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

AndrewP posted:

This more than anything makes me think they're going all-in on the software platform, rather than the hardware.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So what's the average cost for the longer USB/HDMI and the usb3.0 pcie card? Getting the itch to buy in versus wait for Gen 2 and was considering the next $700 Vive sale. So this has certainly got me to reconsider a Rift.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Presumably when you set up ReVive you have to 'set up' Touch too? So Vive users will be ok to play Robo Recall for free.
Re: pricing... hot drat. Good news if it gets more people in but pretty painful from our end.

I'd have to double check but I don't think so, I have a second Oculus account to be used on my computer sometimes and none of the free touch stuff got activated there (like dead and buried) so that makes me think there's some sort of key associated with each Touch and it only works with one account.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there any way to buy longer rift cables yet? I could use one that's like I dunno, ~3 more feet. Right now my computer is turned backwards to maximize the length and's not enough for me to touch the far end of my tracked space.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Phuzun posted:

So what's the average cost for the longer USB/HDMI and the usb3.0 pcie card? Getting the itch to buy in versus wait for Gen 2 and was considering the next $700 Vive sale. So this has certainly got me to reconsider a Rift.

You don't really need a PCIe card. I just have two on USB 3.0 and one on 2.0, works just fine.

But here's what Oculus recommends if you just need the extra USB ports.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030309&p_id=9470&seq=1&format=2
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

so $38 total

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/

Then tack on a $60 sensor so an extra $100 ontop of the now $600.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 1, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rec Room eye tracking: https://www.againstgrav.com/blog/2017/2/28/eye-tracking-in-rec-room

This looks good as hell

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Is there any way to buy longer rift cables yet? I could use one that's like I dunno, ~3 more feet. Right now my computer is turned backwards to maximize the length and's not enough for me to touch the far end of my tracked space.

There were some extension cables specifically for the Rift from Best Buy or something that people had mixed results with (some people said they were 100% good and some people couldn't get them to work at all). I use my Vive link box to give it an extra two feet or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would really like to see Oculus come out and support the Vive and other headsets. They keep saying they support open standards, so they need to show it. If they do drop out of making hardware, that would suck. Aside from the annoying camera tracking, Oculus has the best hardware and it's almost the only thing going for them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Phuzun posted:

If they're 38 bucks or whatever for the recommended ones you can probably get cheaper ones that work... I think I put the ones that work for me in this thread so check post history. Or just check the oculus reddit, I think they have a stickied post.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

that loving owns

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is going to blow the doors of the current social interactions in VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

This is going to blow the doors of the current social interactions in VR.

Yeah, ever since I saw that quick demo someone did where they did things like look up when they were thinking and making eye contact when they were speaking with each other, it was pretty clear to me that this is going to be a huge step for social interaction.

Eye tracking is going to be good as hell.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bum the Sad posted:

You don't really need a PCIe card. I just have two on USB 3.0 and one on 2.0, works just fine.

But here's what Oculus recommends if you just need the extra USB ports.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030309&p_id=9470&seq=1&format=2
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

so $38 total

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/

Then tack on a $60 sensor so an extra $100 ontop of the now $600.

The 15 feet active USB 3.0 works perfectly fine for the sensors, but the headset has huge problems with longer cords.

The safest bet for extending the headset are these two things:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTUHBQV/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7S2FRE/

That will get you an extra 6 feet on your Rift cable. That is the safest option. I have tried many, many different things with my video card, and 6 feet is the best I can do.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Specs on the LG headset are starting to come out. Same resolution/refresh rate as the Vive and Rift, controllers are basically slightly different Vive Wands, it can flip up and away from the face.

Depending on price/weight/comfort it might be a decent iteration on the Vive but it doesn't sound like it's going to be Gen 1.5 either. More of a Vive Lite that might be a bit cheaper and have various comfort improvements.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

Specs on the LG headset are starting to come out. Same resolution/refresh rate as the Vive and Rift, controllers are basically slightly different Vive Wands, it can flip up and away from the face.

Depending on price/weight/comfort it might be a decent iteration on the Vive but it doesn't sound like it's going to be Gen 1.5 either. More of a Vive Lite that might be a bit cheaper and have various comfort improvements.

Isn't that a slight improvement in resolution? 1440x1280 per eye vs 1080x1200 per eye.

I'm kind of disappointed to see just a new type of vive wand, I sort of expected Valve to be pushing towards their knuckle controllers.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

mad.radhu posted:

Isn't that a slight improvement in resolution? 1440x1280 per eye vs 1080x1200 per eye.

I'm kind of disappointed to see just a new type of vive wand, I sort of expected Valve to be pushing towards their knuckle controllers.

Oh! You're right. For some reason I was thinking it was the same.

I take it back; sounds like probably a solid gen 1.5 then, wonder what the price will be.