Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I managed to murder the mandragoras without a raines BSB but it took some doing. Confused one, blinded another, stopped the third - which lasted a pretty long time on a MND'd out Tyro - and that made the incoming damage more reasonable. Basch with Gaea's Cross and proper armor helped keep damage more predictable; giving him the Lionheart RM meant he could spam his physical blink SSB. Quistis was the damage engine. Picked them off one at a time. Also got lucky no one important got slowed.

After that the U++ was a breath of fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
That pumpkin patch kid fight was incredibly stupid, I'm glad the Cid BSB is ludicrously powerful to just force it down.

I have a feeling like I'm gonna stomp the unholy hell out of the ultimate+++

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Just did the omega drive nightmare dungeon. It was a little difficult to not be able to abuse any element, but thankfully my non-elemental physical power is strong. I also used ovelia with her curaga level magic blink medica, but I kept having to save load so she could cast curaja at just the right time to survive phase 1.

Man, in a very short time monks went from useless to my best combatants. Jecht with his critical boosting ssb, lifebane and life siphon tore poo poo apart. Zell I record dived into 5* celerity and I do not regret it. Chain starting into my rw and full charge is great, and with ace striker he had like 2 ssb uses right after phase 3 started. Zell did easily the most damage out of anyone. Yda, however, couldn't do poo poo with her bsb as she kept taking damage. I have a lot of problems mking her relevent, though I do have both a fist and attack boosting armor that buffs fire damage.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

For U+ I had a team of Y'shtola, Vanille, Minfilia, Alph, and Terra (with her OSB and Devotion RM) using Raines RW. Part of what makes it tough is the lack of reliability for confuse and sleep. After about 4 or 5 different tweaks, I found the best plan was using 1 dedicated DPS (your strongest mage) who always uses blind in the first turn. Y'shtola casts Wall, but I also put Stop on him since his high mind keeps that king out of commission for awhile. Minfilia and Alph were full on support. Minfilia had Esuna (saved me a few times) and Protectga, plus I put up Last Stand whenever it was ready. Alph was on Sleep and confuse spam duty, though he was to throw up Radiant Shield whenever possible. Terra I had just spamming the Raines BSB, but I used her OSB to pick off pumpkins whenever needed.

Anyway, whoever had an easy time of this, god bless you. This was a tough fight, but hey, the game probably needs more of these anyway.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
After plenty of S/L I managed to CM the U+ (with mastery). All it took was Fran's AOE MAG+ATK breakdown SB, ATK Breakdance, Blindga hitting early, managing damage so Prince and the Holy and Dark weak ones died at the same time to Raines BSB, Gabranth drawing all the single target damage and converting that into BSB attacks, Meltdown taking out the top one, and counting on the blinded one to miss everything at the end when my damage mitigators and healer were dead.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Fest banners always keep the things debuting on them (so in this case things like Agrias/Ashe/Sephiroth OSBs, Eiko/Faris/Tyro USBs) and shuffle everything else in global. So you can expect those six things I named, but everything else depends totally on how the global team feels.

We'll probably know about what's on the banners in the big data push the day before orbfest starts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Managed to get Apoc Demon Wall down a little while ago with a pubbie team. There was some overlap in SBs in the party, but apparently everyone actually bothered to take the time to check what other people were carrying and actually waited to see what people cast before firing off their own SBs, so we were able to avoid the traditional "back to back Stoneskin IIs" problem that plagues most pubbie teams.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
2 OSB/BSB Orlandos really helped me with the dps race on Apoc wall

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Managed to get Apoc Demon Wall down a little while ago with a pubbie team. There was some overlap in SBs in the party, but apparently everyone actually bothered to take the time to check what other people were carrying and actually waited to see what people cast before firing off their own SBs, so we were able to avoid the traditional "back to back Stoneskin IIs" problem that plagues most pubbie teams.

I think this was one of the more over-hyped battles so far. I went in legitimately expecting to get stomped and honestly it was pretty straight forward. Granted, if you get a really bad pubbie (ie. people who bring Cloud and run Fenrir Overdrive on turn 1), it can ruin a run, but you don't lose any stamina for that.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

I think this was one of the more over-hyped battles so far. I went in legitimately expecting to get stomped and honestly it was pretty straight forward. Granted, if you get a really bad pubbie (ie. people who bring Butt and run Fenrir Overdrive on turn 1), it can ruin a run, but you don't lose any stamina for that.
You got lucky, tbh. My first run was also super easy, and then my second, equally as kitted out, got hit with partywide sleep before affliction break went off and everything went off the rails.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

The Mandragoras are a loving joke. I keep repeatedly having characters killed before I get a single action in, and most of my runs end before I can get Wall up, so not even a full round. And then I get to spend the next 3-5 minutes looking at loading screens and trying to find a Cid BSB, even though I started with 20 or so in my friends list. If I can make it past the first round I can stand a chance, but holy crap, it's ridiculous that they can have 2-3 of your characters down to nothing in health before I get any actions in, and then it takes forever for a confuse to land, even with two characters casting it.

EDIT: FINALLY!!! Christ, that was not even slightly fun.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 28, 2017

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Looking for some advice. I played this game from launch to about August, and have native Shout, both Walls, and Galuf/Bartz/Zidane/Quistis BSSBs, and a handful of SSBs.

Been enjoying getting back into the game lately, but which of the 6 star abilities are worth crafting? So far the only one I've made is Meltdown.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

2 SPOOKY posted:

Looking for some advice. I played this game from launch to about August, and have native Shout, both Walls, and Galuf/Bartz/Zidane/Quistis BSSBs, and a handful of SSBs.

Been enjoying getting back into the game lately, but which of the 6 star abilities are worth crafting? So far the only one I've made is Meltdown.

Get into the discord server. Smart people with good advice in there.

https://discord.gg/kqzGD

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

2 SPOOKY posted:

Basically anything from the back half of the Nightmare dungeons except Dervish and (arguably) Valigarmanda. Meltdown, Affliction Break, Curada and Omega Drive are all great. Northern Cross is good but mostly filler, and if you had managed to get any of the Job Class Motes from the Five Dooms event, there's arguments to be made for Mug Bloodlust (Thief Motes).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

KataraniSword posted:

Basically anything from the back half of the Nightmare dungeons except Dervish and (arguably) Valigarmanda. Meltdown, Affliction Break, Curada and Omega Drive are all great. Northern Cross is good but mostly filler, and if you had managed to get any of the Job Class Motes from the Five Dooms event, there's arguments to be made for Mug Bloodlust (Thief Motes).

Those job motes are also good for crafting 6* and then breaking them down for their crystals.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You got lucky, tbh. My first run was also super easy, and then my second, equally as kitted out, got hit with partywide sleep before affliction break went off and everything went off the rails.

I should clarify, I mean relative to the other MO Apoc battles. I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's been quite a few with nasty status effects and unfair, defense piercing attacks. Generally this seems to be the norm at this point. I can certainly buy that I got pretty lucky though.

Generally I try to mitigate it as much as possible myself as I usually run pure support and healing. It certainly helps if you can combine Last Stand, Asylum and Wall, especially when the boss is in the final 25% and starts spamming AOE poo poo in its weak phase.

2 Spooky, I think you can craft any of the ones that Katarani mentioned, but don't sweat them too much. 6* abilities are mostly a luxury. Affliction break is probably the only one that could have mandatory utility. The majority of other ones aren't especially great beyond being another DPS option, except with much less hones. So you'll generally be better off using a good BSB or 5* abilities (especially after this next orbfest).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

1st AD posted:

Those job motes are also good for crafting 6* and then breaking them down for their crystals.

Well, yeah, but I was explicitly pointing out that of them, Mug Bloodlust is arguably the only one worth keeping. There used to be a case for Lifebane, too, but in most circumstances you'd use it, Omega Drive now does better.

There's niche cases (usually involving Enwind) where you'd want Sky High, too, I suppose.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally beat Omega Drive. That sucked. Should I craft it or wait until I get Meltdown and craft that instead?

I use almost exclusively physical teams and while I have some decent mage relics I feel like it's a better idea to make OD.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and I should craft Meltdown to make my mages a lot better overall?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

There used to be a case for Lifebane, too, but in most circumstances you'd use it, Omega Drive now does better.

Omega Drive isn't as big a deterrent to Lifebane as people keep trying to make it out to be.

• The threshold for the best bonus from each is only 37 Attack apart (977 for Omega Drive vs 1014 for Lifebane).
  • Lifebane has higher maximum damage than Omega Drive and the two abilities are essentially tied for total potency (524 for OD vs 525 for LB).
  • Lifebane scales better with crit and crit damage because it spreads its potency out over more hits.
  • No Dualcast Combat or +40% Combat Damage RMs exist, but both exist for Monk.
  • No one has +X% Combat damage in their Record Dive, but again that does exist for Monk.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Omega Drive isn't as big a deterrent to Lifebane as people keep trying to make it out to be.

• The threshold for the best bonus from each is only 37 Attack apart (977 for Omega Drive vs 1014 for Lifebane).
  • Lifebane has higher maximum damage than Omega Drive and the two abilities are essentially tied for total potency (524 for OD vs 525 for LB).
  • Lifebane scales better with crit and crit damage because it spreads its potency out over more hits.
  • No Dualcast Combat or +40% Combat Damage RMs exist, but both exist for Monk.
  • No one has +X% Combat damage in their Record Dive, but again that does exist for Monk.

I knew there was still a reason not to smash Lifebane, but I hadn't seen the numbers in a while. Thanks.

(Obviously, the solution is to keep Lifebane on Zell and slap Omega Drive on Sephiroth)

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Oh boy, I managed to master the U+ CM (my A-Team would've actually fared worse) after a lot of S/Ls and dreading it from suffering through the Northern Cross Gatekeeper version.

I pretty much set up everyone with a specific role: Devotion Ashe AoE RWing Raines' Burst with the Pumpkin as its Entry's target, RM-hastened Balthier making sure Blind and Confuse stuck as soon and often as possible, Lionheart Basch tanking with Gaia's Cross and dispeling while charging his Burst and Shield, Larsa setting up his ProShellga/Stoneskin before healing and Fran opening with her Burst and focusing on the disabling the Prince.

Of course, it took me while before getting a battle where A) Ashe and Larsa weren't hurt before the mitigation was set and Basch drew fire, B) Balthier didn't waste his first turn not blinding the Tomato, and C) Ashe wasn't silenced mid-Burst, but there was that miraculous final battle where I could start the second turn with everyone's first move impeccably done and only Basch being slightly hurt and it went marvelously manageable until both the Pumpkin and the King were slain by the RWed Lingering Spirit Spam where everyone but Basch fell like flies before the Queen followed in being knocked down.

I have to thank the fact the Prince didn't bother in curing the Tomato's blindness and instead made the mistake of spending a turn doing his attack buff: it gave me time to empty Basch's (two-bars long) SB Gauge and spam his Burst's AoE Entry to take both of them down for only two KOs medals lost.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 1, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just got pretty lucky and beat Demon Wall with my first team. Got lucky with the debuffs not hitting the wrong people at the wrong times for the most part (a Pecil got sleeped once, and everyone got interrupted once, but otherwise it was just healers getting blinded). Bringing in massive holy DPS won the day, I think.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good lord, gently caress this FFXII event. I barely won the first ultimate after retrying with mythril. Even the first of the ultimates this time is uncommonly hard.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Good lord, gently caress this FFXII event. I barely won the first ultimate after retrying with mythril. Even the first of the ultimates this time is uncommonly hard.

The Ult++ is kinda easy. :haw:

gently caress everything else though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been using Minfillia a lot in multiplayer. She's not my best character but between BSB breakdowns, full break, knight stuff (including dispel) and her SSB being a physical damage buff + last stand she's REALLY good at filling the "my teammates just hosed up again" role

My other slot is Tyro with BSB + SG, or Vanille with BSB + ultra cure or something

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I beat Kaiser Dragon :neckbeard:

I have just enough to craft it, but I need to figure out which of aff break/omega drive/curada it conflicts with and what to prioritize.

I'm thinking curada and aff break as first priority, unless bosses become immune to it regularly?

(He never once went vuln to the right elements, what a lame mastery req)

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I don't think any bosses have been resistant to affliction break up till now in JP, but I may be wrong - nonetheless it's an ability that can make all the difference in the right fights. Curada is also good, especially if you're running a draw fire / gaia cross character. It's also great for secondary healers / paladins

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Inge posted:

I don't think any bosses have been resistant to affliction break up till now in JP, but I may be wrong - nonetheless it's an ability that can make all the difference in the right fights. Curada is also good, especially if you're running a draw fire / gaia cross character. It's also great for secondary healers / paladins

Honestly I use Curada as my only equipped healing spell about 75% of the time - on a healer with a BSB it's generally enough.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly I use Curada as my only equipped healing spell about 75% of the time - on a healer with a BSB it's generally enough.

Yeah, likewise, but it really is a versatile skill

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Quick question: are the banners up until the anniversary worth pulling on? I'm a relatively new player but I have a 'solid' team of 3 bsb dps (cloud tidus squall) a sort of medica in the form of Eikos reraise SSB and Ramza's shout. I have Mustadio's ssb and Agrias for holy/knight shenanigans on the side. I have no native wall or decent mage to speak of (Vincent with his SSB seems underwhelming so far), so is it worth it to just wait? I'm sorely tempted by Aerith's USB and that Cid Raines bsb that everyone recommends I take.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

maev posted:

Quick question: are the banners up until the anniversary worth pulling on? I'm a relatively new player but I have a 'solid' team of 3 bsb dps (cloud tidus squall) a sort of medica in the form of Eikos reraise SSB and Ramza's shout. I have Mustadio's ssb and Agrias for holy/knight shenanigans on the side. I have no native wall or decent mage to speak of (Vincent with his SSB seems underwhelming so far), so is it worth it to just wait? I'm sorely tempted by Aerith's USB and that Cid Raines bsb that everyone recommends I take.

Well, in my opinion it depends on how new are you: if you started very close to the start of February, I'll say you could afford a pull on one of those banners if you want the risk.

Otherwise, they're still loaded traps compared to the Anniversary where you have better chances with just its three Lucky Draws and Ultros' Choice.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

maev posted:

I think the XIII second banner looks really good, personally. If you're new, you should have a lot of mythril opportunities with the realm dungeons. You will be given enough mythril for the 3 Lucky Draws and Ultros banner is free for the first pull. This whole thing about "saving" is for the 5 banners that will go up for full price, but their quality is unknown and you should always keep in mind a bad pull is a bad pull, no matter the banner (something like 1/11 dupe SSB).

Anyway, XIII should coincide with at least a datamine for the anniversary stuff so you can sit tight and wait to hear. I don't think the XII or VII banners are anything special though. How much mythril are you sitting on? I'm probably going to do at least one pull on XIII banner 2, but I'm also saving up in case the banners blow me away. Currently at 400 mythril.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

iamsosmrt posted:

I think the XIII second banner looks really good, personally. If you're new, you should have a lot of mythril opportunities with the realm dungeons. You will be given enough mythril for the 3 Lucky Draws and Ultros banner is free for the first pull. This whole thing about "saving" is for the 5 banners that will go up for full price, but their quality is unknown and you should always keep in mind a bad pull is a bad pull, no matter the banner (something like 1/11 dupe SSB).

Anyway, XIII should coincide with at least a datamine for the anniversary stuff so you can sit tight and wait to hear. I don't think the XII or VII banners are anything special though. How much mythril are you sitting on? I'm probably going to do at least one pull on XIII banner 2, but I'm also saving up in case the banners blow me away. Currently at 400 mythril.

I've currently got 165 mythril so I'm not sure, and started around mid january. I've been playing it a fair bit since then so I've made decent enough progress, but its more like I've got one 'a-team' but a lack of synergy or any overwhelmingly amazing relics (bar Ramza's shout). I'd love Vincent's burst soul break and Aerith's USB, but they're on separate banners and I'm not sure about the other choices there.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

maev posted:

I've currently got 165 mythril so I'm not sure, and started around mid january. I've been playing it a fair bit since then so I've made decent enough progress, but its more like I've got one 'a-team' but a lack of synergy or any overwhelmingly amazing relics (bar Ramza's shout). I'd love Vincent's burst soul break and Aerith's USB, but they're on separate banners and I'm not sure about the other choices there.

How much can you use clear right now? Can you clear ultimates? Do you have full break, protectga and shellga?

You have a decent basis of a physical team but I don't think there's much I'm the current two banners that'll drastically do you much good beyond what you have for other realms. XIII banner 1 has a great medica BSB.

Anyway I think you'll find the game will open up a lot with orbfest this month. I started right before the last one and having all the 5 and 4 star abilities on top of a few good BSBs really increases your potential.

Also 165 isn't bad. You can easily have 100 more by anniversary if you do a handful of realm dungeons a day. If you really like the fvii stuff don't feel too bad about one pull.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just beat the Meltdown boss and it was a lot easier than I expected. Only took me 3 tries. I didn't master it but idgaf.

So now which should I craft: Meltdown or Omega Drive?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just beat the Meltdown boss and it was a lot easier than I expected. Only took me 3 tries. I didn't master it but idgaf.

Meltdown. It's so far above and beyond every other 6* ability except maybe Curada for overall everyday usefulness.

That said, if you got any job motes from torments or five dooms, fire crystals are super super common. You should have plenty to craft and even hone both. Power/Black crystals are the bottlenecks and don't overlap.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

can you go into excruciating detail how you did it because i tried one (1) time last month and got obliterated and realized that using ninja magic was a Bad Idea and my black magic hones were really poo poo so I didn't try again

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

can you go into excruciating detail how you did it because i tried one (1) time last month and got obliterated and realized that using ninja magic was a Bad Idea and my black magic hones were really poo poo so I didn't try again
The answer is pretty much just "have black magic hones." Nightmares are here to stay so you can probably just focus your orbfest haul on black magic and do fine.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

The big thing I remember that made it doable for me with a fairly mediocre setup was to not bother stopping him from going off when he's in fire mode - while you need to hit the crystal for every other element to stop from getting obliterated by a mega nuke, he just uses a relatively weak fire AoE nuke that you can face tank without too much issue when he goes off in fire mode. He uses that same fire attack twice before using some bullshit Ultima attack when he dies, and the crystal prefers to block Ultima before it blocks the fire attacks, so if you think you can kill him with enough HP left on your guys you can afford to kill him with two charges on the crystal instead of three. iirc the nuke does too much damage to risk eating two back-to-back, though.

Other than that just take your best black mages and elemental resistance gear. Gigas armlets are great.

Also my memory is fuzzy as hell and it could be that I had Tyro for Wall and the fire AoE was the only one that didn't actually pierce resistance, but hey, it's 1 stam, give it a shot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

iamsosmrt posted:

How much can you use clear right now? Can you clear ultimates? Do you have full break, protectga and shellga?

You have a decent basis of a physical team but I don't think there's much I'm the current two banners that'll drastically do you much good beyond what you have for other realms. XIII banner 1 has a great medica BSB.

Anyway I think you'll find the game will open up a lot with orbfest this month. I started right before the last one and having all the 5 and 4 star abilities on top of a few good BSBs really increases your potential.

Also 165 isn't bad. You can easily have 100 more by anniversary if you do a handful of realm dungeons a day. If you really like the fvii stuff don't feel too bad about one pull.

I have those yeah, though full break is still lonely with no hones. I've done a few nightmare dungeons, killed demon wall and can usually get to the ultimate fights in events. (I did the bigs and wedge ultimate + recently which felt like a big milestone).

Thanks a lot for the help by the way, I'll try not to feel too bad about doing a cheeky pull on the 7 banner.

• Locked thread