Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Can a Trump person tell me why exactly he's going on about compiling reports on crimes committed by immigrants? Now, I'm a ginger, and if I tallied up every ginger who committed crimes in the course of a week and released it in report form, gingers would certainly look pretty bad as a group. I don't mind getting proper crime statistics and knowing stuff on that level, but is there any explanation for this that isn't "Breitbart except the White House"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

I love how the "grass roots" (LOL) organized anti-trump bullshit all got together and tried to make a dead soldier a talking point only to have Trump bring his widow on stage and pray to Baby Jesus while everybody claps and cries.

Please get your poo poo together nobody wants 8 years of Trump for gently caress sake,

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fog Tripper posted:

State of the trump: not hosed

The state of hosed or not hosed can be difficult to ascertain. More important to me is pile of poo poo or not pile of poo poo and he's definitely a pile of poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, this seems like the opposite scenario to the one that was proposed in the quote. This is a lady identifying as a male being forced to wrestle as a lady.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

The state of hosed or not hosed can be difficult to ascertain. More important to me is pile of poo poo or not pile of poo poo and he's definitely a pile of poo poo.

Hay mang Fog Tripper's a retarded klansman hth

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

The Landstander posted:

Can a Trump person tell me why exactly he's going on about compiling reports on crimes committed by immigrants? Now, I'm a ginger, and if I tallied up every ginger who committed crimes in the course of a week and released it in report form, gingers would certainly look pretty bad as a group. I don't mind getting proper crime statistics and knowing stuff on that level, but is there any explanation for this that isn't "Breitbart except the White House"?

You forgot the term "illegal" in front of immigrant

The logic goes like this - illegals aren't supposed to be here in the first place so any crime they commit is one additional crime that was brought here illegally, so toss em out

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

I know.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

WatermelonGun posted:

you forgot literal hitler.

hth

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

you forgot literal hitler.

hth

Oh yeah.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You forgot the term "illegal" in front of immigrant

I love how liberals both knowingly omit the illegal part, and then do reports on how immigrants are freaking out that they think they are being targeted.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

I love how liberals both knowingly omit the illegal part, and then do reports on how immigrants are freaking out that they think they are being targeted.

Especially when legal immigrants have nothing but resentment towards illegals because it takes a lot of money and time to do it the legal way

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

iuvian posted:

I love how the "grass roots" (LOL) organized anti-trump bullshit all got together and tried to make a dead soldier a talking point only to have Trump bring his widow on stage and pray to Baby Jesus while everybody claps and cries.

Please get your poo poo together nobody wants 8 years of Trump for gently caress sake,
Be the change you want to see in the world

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

The Landstander posted:

I'm not a Trump person, but unfortunately talk about statistics has largely vanished from public discourse in favor of personal anecdotes. I dont think he's going to use it to justify genocide. I do, however, think that focusing personal anecdotes / individual instances can cause issues to be blown way out of proportion and inspire crimes in response (one could argue that police shootings could be classified as one such thing that has happened with, not gonna opine on that), so its pretty fuckin stupid and Trump shouldnt be doing it

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 5, 2017

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I'm not a Trump person, but unfortunately talk about statistics has largely vanished from public discourse in favor of personal anecdotes. Liberals are using personal stories of X wonderful immigrant who was horribly deported or w/e. So this is just the conservative equivalent of that. I dont think he's going to use it to justify genocide. I do, however, think that focusing personal anecdotes / individual instances can cause issues to be blown way out of proportion and inspire crimes in response (one could argue that police shootings could be classified as one such thing that has happened with, not gonna opine on that), so its pretty fuckin stupid and Trump shouldnt be doing it
Yeah I agree with the spirit of your side points here, especially on anecdotes vs. statistics. I feel like there's been a bad cycle of pushing individual stories/outrages for several years now, each one providing more justification for the next ("we need to fight back!") and making The Discourse a bit worse. :discourse:

But man, completely outside the immigration issue itself, I just can't see anything remotely positive coming out of some kind of regular report of "here's who we rounded up and the awful things they did". Just more anger and fear.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
that speech was amazing. y'all ready for 8 years of trump?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

The Landstander posted:

Are there American cities that go out of their way to stop gingers from being punished for crimes they commit?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I accidentally went into a womans bathroom when I was 8, now I'm trans and confused.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
A hypothetical. . . If the government offered a completely free gender re-assignment surgery to anyone who wanted it, would you still think that people with penis's should be allowed into the ladies restroom?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Trump Status: Unstumped.

Cruz Status: fat as gently caress.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Prorat posted:

Trump Status: Unstumped.

Cruz Status: fat as gently caress.

Yeah I came here to post, gently caress trump, but everyone's forgotten that russia campaign stuff from 2 weeks ago when this thread was posted. Apparently nobody cares. 8 years of trump.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burn that couch

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Especially when legal immigrants have nothing but resentment towards illegals because it takes a lot of money and time to do it the legal way

Just a reminder that it's easier for a russian gangster to become a US citizen than a Mexican ironworker. That's how legal immigration works.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Panzeh posted:

Just a reminder that it's easier for a russian gangster to become a US citizen than a Mexican ironworker. That's how legal immigration works.

the US pop culture has always been in love with one gangster or another

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Turns out he can read a teleprompter after all. He's unstumped, he's unfucked, we're all screwed

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the fart president is learning

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

A hypothetical. . . If the government offered a completely free gender re-assignment surgery to anyone who wanted it, would you still think that people with penis's should be allowed into the ladies restroom?

sorry nobody responded to this dumb hypothetical

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

redreader posted:

Yeah I came here to post, gently caress trump, but everyone's forgotten that russia campaign stuff from 2 weeks ago when this thread was posted. Apparently nobody cares. 8 years of trump.
so, trump was lying about his contact with Russia during the campaign. the presidency has been a nonstop stream of falsehoods from the whitehouse, and a bunch of Russia poo poo happened already.

but here's the thing

this isnt "trumps hosed" thread, this is hello welcome to hellthread where 25% of the thread are frog people (please dont be racist against white people)

im not sure how familiar you are with the internet frog movement, but essentially its composed of the dregs of the internet, supported by popular talking heads on youtube. the message of the movement is surprisingly coherent while simultaneously tackling no real issues - its entirely an anti-movement, a counter-cultural backlash. russia, transparency, children getting proper meals, environmental protection, a functioning government all don't matter to them; all that matters is:

*the out of control and delusional "leftists" (read: people who are not frog men or republicans) are put in their place
*feminists ruining videogames/sjws get put in their place
*clinton is put in her place
*immigrants (read: muslims) get put in their place

and these issues are repeated over, and over, and over -- in a variety of different ways, mind you, but the core message is still generally the same. those youtubers ive mentioned make good money just spewing the same talking points about about immigrants, feminists, and leftists in video after video. they ironically condemn echo chambers while simultaneously forming one of the largest on the internet, and these echo chambers have solidified those notions to the point where rational discussion becomes nigh impossible (as you have seen in this thread).

finally, i doubt that any of the frog people here actually give a gently caress about trans people, but they do know that trying to remove minorities basic human rights is an effective way to distract conversation (and if you think loving with people's human rights in order to further your own goals is a scummy thing to do, keep in mind, they don't care; they have an Enemy, and the ends justify the means)

so yeah, there you go, frog person 101. lemme know if i missed anything.

crime weed fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 1, 2017

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
spunky you really need to ask yourself what vibe you're putting out that's causing so many old bathroom perverts to cruise you. these guys usually have a very finely honed gaydar. maybe next time a proud member coyly emerges from the gloryhole you should embrace it both literally and figuratively.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

The Landstander posted:

But man, completely outside the immigration issue itself, I just can't see anything remotely positive coming out of some kind of regular report of "here's who we rounded up and the awful things they did". Just more anger and fear.

There were 4 illegals picked up a couple weeks ago for specific crimes commited (not just crossing a border) in our tiny island of liberalism Park City. The local dem groups including aclu, immigrant rights groups, etc, whipped everyone up into a frenzy. The local radio station which happens also to be NPR, bent over backwards to not use the word illegal. As a result actual legal immigrants were incredibly freaked out (which was what the above groups wanted). So the police cheif HAD to give a report of what they were picked up for, and that the rests were nothing out of the ordinary and no immigrants were being "rounded up" en mass. This was at a community gathering staged by the liberal outraged groups.

Liberals are doing everything they can to cause panic about nothing and then capitalizing on the panic.

:derp: WAVE OF FEAR :derp:
https://www.parkrecord.com/news/ice-arrests-trigger-wave-of-fear/

It is precious seeing how this tiny liberal town wants to be a sactuary city like the grownup cities. Moreso as they exist in a sea of concervatism.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Kjoery posted:

so, trump was lying about his contact with Russia during the campaign. the presidency has been a nonstop stream of falsehoods from the whitehouse, and a bunch of Russia poo poo happened already.

but here's the thing

this isnt "trumps hosed" thread, this is hello welcome to hellthread where 25% of the thread are frog people (please dont be racist against white people)

im not sure how familiar you are with the internet frog movement, but essentially its composed of the dregs of the internet, supported by popular talking heads on youtube. the message of the movement is surprisingly coherent while simultaneously tackling no real issues - its entirely an anti-movement, a counter-cultural backlash. russia, transparency, children getting proper meals, environmental protection, a functioning government all don't matter to them; all that matters is:

*the out of control and delusional "leftists" (read: people who are not frog men or republicans) are put in their place
*feminists ruining videogames/sjws get put in their place
*clinton is put in her place
*immigrants (read: muslims) get put in their place

and these issues are repeated over, and over, and over -- in a variety of different ways, mind you, but the core message is still generally the same. those youtubers ive mentioned make good money just spewing the same talking points about about immigrants, feminists, and leftists in video after video. they ironically condemn echo chambers while simultaneously forming one of the largest on the internet, and these echo chambers have solidified those notions to the point where rational discussion becomes nigh impossible (as you have seen in this thread).

finally, i doubt that any of the frog people here actually give a gently caress about trans people, but they do know that trying to remove minorities basic human rights is an effective way to distract conversation (and if you think loving with people's human rights in order to further your own goals is a scummy thing to do, keep in mind, they don't care; they have an Enemy, and the ends justify the means)

so yeah, there you go, frog person 101. lemme know if i missed anything.

Nice meltdown. You are losing the culture war, deal with it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

thathonkey posted:

sorry nobody responded to this dumb hypothetical

I think it's something worth thinking about and would like to hear people's opinions.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Harrower posted:

Nice meltdown. You are losing the culture war, deal with it.
right, the notion that this is a "culture war" is pretty prolific, too. its weird

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Kjoery posted:

right, the notion that this is a "culture war" is pretty prolific, too. its weird

Man, you are Canadian.

edit: Have you ever even been to America?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 1, 2017

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Kjoery posted:

Probably because anyone who has functioning eyes and ears can tell we're right in the middle of one?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

a lot of immigrants are refugees who did not enter the country through customs, but under the UN they have rights of amnesty and poo poo. Governments go to great lengths to argue why a certain group of people fleeing a warzone are not actually refugees of war.

quote:

As a result of events occurring before 1 January 1951 and owing to wellfounded
fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality,
membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside
the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear,
is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who,
not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former
habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such
fear, is unwilling to return to it

http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/3b66c2aa10 article I part A section 2

obviously most illegal immigrants do not fall under this category, but many central americans and south americans fled state violence over the past century to the united states, and still do today. So omitting the "illegal" part is a good way to remind people that immigration to the US is a lot more diverse than "mexicans hiding in vans".

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 1, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Harrower posted:

Probably because anyone who has functioning eyes and ears can tell we're right in the middle of one?
i guess this is kinda futile, but it doesnt need to be like this, you know. i guess youre convinced that rational discussion is futile with the Enemy, because they are inherently irrational in their ideals.

vehemently believing oneself to be at war with an enemy that cannot be reasoned with leads to a breakdown of communication. communication breakdowns mean that the "Other Side" cant try to represent their side and their perspectives.

so i guess, by that reasoning, a large enough group believing themselves to be in a culture war could lead to a breakdown large enough to actually cause real conflict.

but the notion of culture war seems absurd and inherently counterproductive to me

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Kjoery posted:

rational discussion is futile with the Enemy, because they are inherently irrational in their ideals.

vehemently believing oneself to be at war with an enemy that cannot be reasoned with leads to a breakdown of communication. communication breakdowns mean that the "Other Side" cant try to represent their side and their perspectives.

These two things are exactly what "the frog men", "deplorables", "racist bigot nazis" and *insert other label used to invalidate the opinions of millions* believe was happening to them.

Thats why the pendulum is swinging so hard to the other side.

Culture war is counterproductive I agree but a large segment of the population felt like they had no voice in politics, media or academia.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Kjoery posted:

i guess this is kinda futile, but it doesnt need to be like this, you know. i guess youre convinced that rational discussion is futile with the Enemy, because they are inherently irrational in their ideals.

so i guess, by that reasoning, a large enough group believing themselves to be in a culture war could lead to a breakdown large enough to actually cause real conflict.

but the notion of culture war seems absurd and inherently counterproductive to me

How can there be communication when one sides entire communication strategy is to silence any dissenting opinion by any means necessary? Every argument presented by the right is immediately dismissed by the left as either non valid or vile and despicable. The left consistently acts like they have everything 100% figured out and have no blind spots on any issue where they could possibly be wrong. Then act accordingly. I don't see any right wing rioters torching downtown or a campus because some one they don't like is speaking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Harrower posted:

I don't see any right wing rioters torching downtown or a campus because some one they don't like is speaking there.

you're on the money here. right wingers style is more of the "threaten a childrens birthday party with shotguns and call hem niggers" or "shoot up a minority place of worship" variety.

• Locked thread