Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have a bad with money story: in the past year, I estimate that we have spent over $2000 on single serving kefir pouches for my two year old.

She loving loves kefir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Did she get the job? Sounds like she made a hell of an impression.

A little googling reveals a mixed result:

BWM: She didn't get the job she applied for
GWM: She received at least two other job offers as a result of the publicity
BWM: She failed to monetize her 15 minutes of viral fame

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Droo posted:

My sister said that to me once, I was like.... yes, it's called social security and you can (hopefully) expect about $1000-$2500 per month depending on how much money you made. Then I heard an audible click as her brain discarded the information and went back into specifics-are-too-hard mode.

This reminds me that I had another right-wing coworker tell me that SS payments were so small that why even bother collecting? Then I made him go to the website and type in his salary to see that he would, in fact, get around $2200/mo if he started drawing that day. These people do zero research on their own and just parrot talk radio and it's very sad.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

gvibes posted:

I have a bad with money story: in the past year, I estimate that we have spent over $2000 on single serving kefir pouches for my two year old.

She loving loves kefir.

Spend $10 on some kefir grains or get them from free from a hippie and make your own. It's pretty easy.

My BWM story. Getting into homebrewing beer "cause it'll be cheaper". Homebrew starter kits are just the gateway drug to devoting to much time, space, and money to an awesome hobby.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My BWM story. Getting into homebrewing beer "cause it'll be cheaper". Homebrew starter kits are just the gateway drug to devoting to much time, space, and money to an awesome hobby.

Tried it about 10 years ago. Bought everything, made 3 batches, and 2 were terrible and the last one exploded in the bottles due to excessive carbonation. Immediately got rid of my equipment.

BWM

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you want ultra cheap alcohol, just get some sugar, yeast, and water and put them all together. 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 gallon container will give you about 5 gallons of 9% ABV for less than :10bux: as long as the yeast hold out (if they die early it will be less but it will also be sweet). Boil the water first, adding some hops if desired for flavor and a mild preservation effect. Turbo juice is basically the same thing, just add yeast to juice and wait.

Now, if you want something that tastes good, that's almost certainly not going to work, but it would get you drunk. GWM, BWL for drinking what has to taste pretty terrible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Good with money: Make your own prison wine

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

baquerd posted:

If you want ultra cheap alcohol, just get some sugar, yeast, and water and put them all together. 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 gallon container will give you about 5 gallons of 9% ABV for less than :10bux: as long as the yeast hold out (if they die early it will be less but it will also be sweet). Boil the water first, adding some hops if desired for flavor and a mild preservation effect. Turbo juice is basically the same thing, just add yeast to juice and wait.

Now, if you want something that tastes good, that's almost certainly not going to work, but it would get you drunk. GWM, BWL for drinking what has to taste pretty terrible.

Anyone who does this has several different problems

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

Anyone who does this has several different problems

Hey, they may just be 14.

Actually, adding yeast to juice is pretty much the foundation of all ciders (or mead if you use honey instead of juice). There are some particulars, but yeast + juice + many months (with temperature/light control and specific yeasts) is most of what there is to it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Good with money: Make your own prison wine

It's not prison wine if it's not made in a toilet

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'd say I can brew nice beers, usually, without issues, and make 5 gallons for about $30 or so. I'd say overall it's about 1/2 price for craft brews, but to pay for all of the equipment I'll have to brew like 50+ batches with my current setup.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
GWM is just drinking mouthwash.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ever since I read about them on MMM, I've wanted to try Simple Brew Kits. Just put yeast in any bottle of juice, put on the fancy stopper, and in two weeks you got something to get drunk off? Yes, please.

Also, ever since I read Possum Living, I wanted to try distilling. Though I do get a bit worried about putting anything remotely flammable in or near a pressure cooker. And, uhh, about following relevant state and federal law.

e: I heartily recommend Possum Living, especially to people who Have Thoughts about frugality

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 28, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just buy bottles of stuff whenever BevMo has their 5-cent sale and skip the whole home-brew thing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

BWVision, though. High enough methane content to make you blind if you keep it up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

baquerd posted:

Or just pour some ethanol into a jug of Tampico if you want to be a piece of poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NancyPants posted:

BWVision, though. High enough methane content to make you blind if you keep it up.

Saves you money on contacts and you get to bring your dog with you more places, increasing its ROI.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
BFC being a high earning subforum certainly leads to the logical conclusion of fermenting wine in your toilet to save money and space. D&D may think we're evil but they're not getting the full potential out of their toilets.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Devian666 posted:

BFC being a high earning subforum certainly leads to the logical conclusion of fermenting wine in your toilet to save money and space. D&D may think we're evil but they're not getting the full potential out of their toilets.

Modern toilets are pretty bad at this because of their low GPF ratings. Really, you want a kiddie pool in the basement to ferment your stuff in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

If you have a Squatty Potty you'll have a nice shelf to put your supplies on while you're mixing your pruno.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My god have some loving dignity and go pick up a hitchhiker like every other teenager did when they needed booze.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BWL: reading about making your own booze is the only ray of light I've had today because of the thought of being able to drink until I forget how depressed I am is just two weeks away :smith:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Toilet-wine isn't for everyone, for example those of us with waterless toilets. The upside is all the free manure. Trade-offs!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A waterless toilet is just a bucket right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

My god have some loving dignity and go pick up a hitchhiker like every other teenager did when they needed booze.

This is BFC there is no dignity when it comes to frugality.

*spends credit card points to buy 2 bottles of spirits worth $330*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BloodBag posted:

BWL: reading about making your own booze is the only ray of light I've had today because of the thought of being able to drink until I forget how depressed I am is just two weeks away :smith:

Whoa pal, what's going on here? You usually seem pretty upbeat and into cool and good things like cats and Subarus.

Also how do prison people use the toilet if they're making wine in it?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

A waterless toilet is just a bucket right?

Only if you're reeeeeally GWM. Satisfying normie concerns about "appearances" and "poo poo-odor" will run you about a grand.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Twerk from Home posted:

Walking through my old hometown, I was lost in thought about drinking mouthwash (as a strictly hypothetical scenario, I hasten to add), and then I found a pile of empty bottles on the main street. Apparently, the derros had beaten me to it.

NancyPants posted:

It's methanol, not methane.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I don't know where you come from, but our mouthwash comes directly from the self-composting toilet friend.

e: lol at the thread title

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The :homebrew: emoticon is someone throwing away money for a reason. It sure is a fun way to spend an afternoon watching brown water boil :)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

CannonFodder posted:

The :homebrew: emoticon is someone throwing away money for a reason. It sure is a fun way to spend an afternoon watching brown water boil :)

Ha, I never realized that that's where the name came from

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I used to read D&D regularly but it imploded badly during the election. It makes me glad the forums are moderated and well compartmentalized so when one forum is melting down it doesn't impact other subs too badly.

Diversification!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I sell homebrewing supplies and I actively discourage people from getting into it because they think they'll save money. I recommend they get into it because it owns though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Walking through my old hometown, I was lost in thought about drinking mouthwash (as a strictly hypothetical scenario, I hasten to add), and then I found a pile of empty bottles on the main street. Apparently, the derros had beaten me to it.

loving pain pills got me again, you're right.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Speaking of pain pills, those & meth & booze got my old hometown good. Most of my high school buddies were dead before they got to 40.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I sell homebrewing supplies and I actively discourage people from getting into it because they think they'll save money. I recommend they get into it because it owns though.

What can you tell me about converting a bread starter to use with homebrew?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Rent-to-own dogs

quote:

The Sabins had bought their new dog, Tucker, with financing offered at the pet store through a company called Wags Lending, which assigned the contract to an Oceanside, California-based firm that collects on consumer debt. But when Dawn tracked down a customer service rep at that firm, Monterey Financial Services Inc., she learned she didn’t own the dog after all.

“I asked them: ‘How in the heck can I owe $5,800 when I bought the dog for $2,400?’ They told me, ‘You’re not financing the dog, you’re leasing.’ ‘You mean to tell me I’m renting a dog?’ And they were like, ‘Yeah.’ ”

Without quite realizing it, the Sabins had agreed to make 34 monthly lease payments of $165.06, after which they had the right to buy the dog for about two months’ rent. Miss a payment, and the lender could take back the dog. If Tucker ran away or chased the proverbial fire truck all the way to doggy heaven, the Sabins would be on the hook for an early repayment charge. If they saw the lease through to the end, they would have paid the equivalent of more than 70 percent in annualized interest—nearly twice what most credit card lenders charge.

“There is just no way I should pay over $5000 for a $2000 puppy,” wrote one customer in an April 2014 complaint collected by the Federal Trade Commission after financing a Yorkshire terrier from a Kennesaw, Georgia, pet store with a lease from Wags Lending.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can't like, own a dog man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nothing in this surprised me:

quote:

Wunderlich rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”

Wunderlich dreamed up Wags Lending in 2013, then used the pet-leasing business to launch an improbable collection of financing vehicles—writing leases against furniture, wedding dresses, hearing aids, and custom auto rims. In a little more than three years, his company has originated 66,000 leases for just over $100 million. He once worked out a plan to lease cattle to dairy farmers, though plummeting commodity prices soured the economics. (He got far enough to decide that if a cow gave birth during the terms of the lease, the lessee got to keep the calf.) In another idea that never reached the market, he explored lease financing for funerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Good god people are dumb with their dogs. My dad is looking into filing for bankruptcy and in the same breath his live-in girlfriend is looking at $500 sickly looking puffball dogs because they're "a good deal". Puppy milling is good with money, bad with morals.

edit: I also like that a golden retriever puppy was not expected to be rambunctious.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread