Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

Today in RWM :eng99:

• Trump is trying to enact the most conservative budget proposed since Reagan but Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and the other Republicans in congress are being jerks and not giving Trump their full support. Obama always had everyone's support, but Trump doesn't have anyone.
  • All illgal immigrants should be deported whether they've committed other crimes or not; by not deporting them we just encourage more people to illegally immigrate. Politicians who take the radical stance of not wanting to round up and deport illegal immigrants who haven't committed violent crimes are doing so because they know they can get votes from illegals voting illegally! Also any politician who is soft on immigration is FAKE!
  • Politicians who propose things we don't like are FAKE. Fake now means "we don't like it."
  • Trump's speech was the best speech since Reagan
  • AAAAGHHH Chelsea Clinton is going outside the house and existing!!! AAAAAGHHHHH!!! Btw she's evil and ugly and stupid and conniving and a PC prude and a slut.
  • Democrats hate the widow of the fallen SEAL because they hate veterans and hate America
  • Obama is making money on a book deal! How disgusting that he would do that and besmirch the dignity of the presidency!
  • Also a shadowy group of people directed in secret by Obama are responsible for everything bad that is happening to Trump
  • Bill Nye, a FAKE scientist, got totally owned by Tucker Carlson and exposed as a left-wing shill
  • A muslim is now a high-ranking chaplain in the US Military OH NO.

Two questions, Xibanya.

First: have any of these people expressed an opinion directly on the matter of VOICE?

Second: is there any redemption for these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Office Pig posted:

Two questions, Xibanya.

First: have any of these people expressed an opinion directly on the matter of VOICE?

Second: is there any redemption for these people?

On the first, I looked for it but I haven't seen it as the main focus of an article. If mentioned at all it's a one sentence blip buried deep in the article. I'm sure the spin machine is figuring out how to sell this as not totally fascistic right now and we'll see a bunch of articles defending it in the afternoon and tomorrow.

Also my sources for these have been Nattyreview, Fox, Red State, Daily Caller, Infowars, The Blaze, Breitbart, Mark Levin, among others.

E: there have been a ton of articles from different sources calling dems evil for not clapping enough though, lol, so it's not like they didn't have time to write an article about the address.

As for the second question, search inside your heart. The answer was inside you all along :sparkles: No

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 1, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xibanya posted:

• Trump is trying to enact the most conservative budget proposed since Reagan but Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and the other Republicans in congress are being jerks and not giving Trump their full support. Obama always had everyone's support, but Trump doesn't have anyone.
  • All illgal immigrants should be deported whether they've committed other crimes or not; by not deporting them we just encourage more people to illegally immigrate. Politicians who take the radical stance of not wanting to round up and deport illegal immigrants who haven't committed violent crimes are doing so because they know they can get votes from illegals voting illegally! Also any politician who is soft on immigration is FAKE!
  • Politicians who propose things we don't like are FAKE. Fake now means "we don't like it."
  • AAAAGHHH Chelsea Clinton is going outside the house and existing!!! AAAAAGHHHHH!!! Btw she's evil and ugly and stupid and conniving and a PC prude and a slut.
  • Democrats hate the widow of the fallen SEAL because they hate veterans and hate America
  • Obama is making money on a book deal! How disgusting that he would do that and besmirch the dignity of the presidency!
  • Also a shadowy group of people directed in secret by Obama are responsible for everything bad that is happening to Trump
  • Bill Nye, a FAKE scientist, got totally owned by Tucker Carlson and exposed as a left-wing shill

haha Nr. 1, hahaha that is good

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Breitbart has a headline today "CNN poll shows 4 out of 5 Americans think Trump's speech was positive."

I asked "why would you trust or quote CNN if it's fake news?"

The only answer I got was "the poll is wrong because I'm sure 95% of people loved it"

The right has brain damage

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Xibanya posted:

I was wondering why my boss was talking about fake politicians all morning. This loving explains it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Push El Burrito posted:

I was wondering why my boss was talking about fake politicians all morning. This loving explains it.

He listens to Master Shake, I took that one from Master Shake. Congratulations, he gets his opinions from one of the most spiteful cranks in the industry!

I guess I should include citations although I'm not sure how I'd do that if multiple sources are using the same dumb talking point.

E: on above point, RWM will cite facts and figures from NYT and CNN all the goddamn time. I would NEVER cite a single stat from Fox or NRO. it goes back to how Altemeyer says that an authoritarian follower will believe any source as long as they agree with that source's conclusions.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Xibanya posted:

Being from SC I can tell you with authority that Lindsey Graham is a RINO as well as a race traitor. Not to mention shiftless and no-account.

Source: My coworkers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Being from SC I can tell you with authority that Lindsey Grahamnesty is a RINO as well as a race traitor. Not to mention shiftless and no-account.

Source: My coworkers.

fixed

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I guess I should include citations
LIBERAL LIES!!!! There's no such thing as a citation!

Source:I'm pretty sure I farted that once.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hm, looks like Red State is getting more skeptical of Trump than usual today. (Like NRO they attempt to at least seem reasonable but have mostly been Trump cheerleaders.)

Red State posted:

When Does “Fake News” Suddenly Become Credible?”

But it’s “fake news,” ya’ll.

This is why we shouldn’t take the Trump White House seriously when they say anything about fake news.

This, and the fact that they allow Breitbart and Gateway Pundit to participate along with legitimate news sources in the press pool.

It seems that the day after President Trump’s first speech to the joint session of Congress, White House press secretary Sean Spicer was more than happy to use a poll from CNN, as long as it reflected positively for the president.

https://twitter.com/presssec/status/836805325214920704

The White House has been feuding with CNN for weeks, because of what they say is biased coverage.

How convenient of them to pull a poll from CNN when it benefits them.

To that point, Jake Tapper pointed out the obvious.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/836923030496546817

So maybe the news isn’t the only thing “fake” around here?
http://ow.ly/aRHZ509Tq1Y

Red State posted:

Trump Acts as an Anonymous Source After Complaining About Anonymous Sources

[article goes on to point out obvious hypocrisy]
http://ow.ly/sMHw509TuzW

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There is no redemption for any of us.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Hm, looks like Red State is getting more skeptical of Trump than usual today. (Like NRO they attempt to at least seem reasonable but have mostly been Trump cheerleaders.)

http://ow.ly/aRHZ509Tq1Y

http://ow.ly/sMHw509TuzW

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

The comments for that first aren't a cesspool, altho there's only 8. Weird

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I saw a tabloid today that said "Hillary admits she's guilty!" or something like that while dropping off my prescriptions today. I didn't have time to stop and look at the paper, any idea what that's about? I'm curious which dumb rear end conspiracy theory they think she's admitting to.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I saw a tabloid today that said "Hillary admits she's guilty!" or something like that while dropping off my prescriptions today. I didn't have time to stop and look at the paper, any idea what that's about? I'm curious which dumb rear end conspiracy theory they think she's admitting to.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Entertainment/Globe/Hillary-Admits-Her-Crimes

You be the judge

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I guess Trump's speech must have been really good, Glenn Beck couldn't stop praising it this morning, saying that last night was when Trump truly became President.

quote:

Bill Nye, a FAKE scientist, got totally owned by Tucker Carlson and exposed as a left-wing shill

Bill Nye is a fake scientist though. He's an engineer, and engineers are very much not scientists. However he's made a good amount of money claiming to be a scientist because he hosted a kids' show once, even when he doesn't know what he's talking about (like with Fukushima and anything regarding nuclear power).

I saw the clip and he really did do a piss-poor job of defending man-made climate change. Tucker Carlson kept trying to pin him down on a question and he'd dodge it. Even if the question was bullshit (the question was "How much of climate change is due to human activity?") Nye should have addressed it rather than just repeating "The science is settled!" and claiming we'd be having another ice age right now if it wasn't for human activity.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I thought you were joking, but nope, that's actually what the article says pretty much. She's guilty of something, but we'll let you decide what!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I guess Trump's speech must have been really good, Glenn Beck couldn't stop praising it this morning, saying that last night was when Trump truly became President.

Bill Nye is a fake scientist though. He's an engineer, and engineers are very much not scientists. However he's made a good amount of money claiming to be a scientist because he hosted a kids' show once, even when he doesn't know what he's talking about (like with Fukushima and anything regarding nuclear power).

I saw the clip and he really did do a piss-poor job of defending man-made climate change. Tucker Carlson kept trying to pin him down on a question and he'd dodge it. Even if the question was bullshit (the question was "How much of climate change is due to human activity?") Nye should have addressed it rather than just repeating "The science is settled!" and claiming we'd be having another ice age right now if it wasn't for human activity.

It's common GOP anti-science talking points to aim for a specific, you can see this everywhere regarding evolution and 'missing links'. They focus on how not having this exact moment (when monkey became man) the entire thing is discredited. Never mind that specifics can be hard to pin down on things. It's like claiming that any 'theory' hasn't been proven fact yet.

Even for evolution you could have a fossil of ever genetic change from our ancestors to now and it would still not be enough because ?????????

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
They put a double standard on the burden of proof on what jives with their preexisting biases vs what does not. This is a rather human impulse though, I know if my mom were accused of murder and there was a lot of circumstantial evidence that she did it but not definitive proof I would get hung up on that one thing because nothing short of some sort of undeniable proof would convince me that she would murder someone. And even for that made up scenario it was hard for me to come up with the hypothetical point at which I'd be willing to believe it; virtually nothing can shake my belief that my mom is a great person.

The annoying thing is, well cool, we can all have beliefs that we cling to, but it's disingenuous to present yourself as impartial and willing to consider the evidence when you really aren't. I'll be very honest, if you came up to me and were like, let's have a debate over whether or not your mom actually craves the blood of the innocent I'd tell you it's not up for debate and I wouldn't be interested in listening to what you had to say.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xibanya posted:

They put a double standard on the burden of proof on what jives with their preexisting biases vs what does not. This is a rather human impulse though, I know if my mom were accused of murder and there was a lot of circumstantial evidence that she did it but not definitive proof I would get hung up on that one thing because nothing short of some sort of undeniable proof would convince me that she would murder someone. And even for that made up scenario it was hard for me to come up with the hypothetical point at which I'd be willing to believe it; virtually nothing can shake my belief that my mom is a great person.

The annoying thing is, well cool, we can all have beliefs that we cling to, but it's disingenuous to present yourself as impartial and willing to consider the evidence when you really aren't. I'll be very honest, if you came up to me and were like, let's have a debate over whether or not your mom actually craves the blood of the innocent I'd tell you it's not up for debate and I wouldn't be interested in listening to what you had to say.

Son your mom's a killer. I'm sorry you had to hear this from me, but she came after me with a large book of scientific articles and I had to put her down.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no I thought Glenn beck was a good guy now did that turn out to be a sham oh no

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

And now we get to see this endlessly paraded around by "skeptics" while they ignore actual scientific data.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah, I get that Carlson's question was definitely a "gotcha" question like the missing link, but I feel that there was probably a better way to respond to it than to say "Humans are responsible for all of the warming and we'd be in an ice age if it wasn't for human activity." Whether that claim is true or not, it can't really be proven, and saying it just gives more ammo to the skeptics. Not that they were going to be convinced anyway, but it still bugs me. Though again, I fully admit I'm biased against Nye because he's shown himself to be a complete idiot at times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought it was a no win situation for Nye and that's the way Tucker Carlson works. If Nye had made a measured response to Tucker's specific question Tucker still would have demanded an exact number and sources for that. The more Nye explains that he can't give that and why the more Tucker ignores the why and focuses on the lack of an answer. Nye instead seemed to try and stay calm, not yell like Carlson, and hope that people saw him as the reasonable one.

Its how Carlson works and the only way to deal with it is to ignore him and not give his show credibility. Its all about bringing frauds or questionably qualified people and then asking them questions you know they can't answer so Carlson can end the segment by smugly insisting he's the reasonable one and they're the liars. If you watch more than two Carlson interviews you see the patterns and it becomes plainly obvious what he does.

Its the same old Hannity and Colmes and Five and whatever formula. Demand perfect knowledge from the liberal and ask unfair questions and when they can't give satisfactory answers declare their entire argument wrong. Nye couldn't have beat it because the game is rigged.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've listened to Hannity enough times to know how his strawman questions go.

Hannity: "You're against teachers in schools being armed? So you're saying you want teachers to be helpless to prevent the murder of students if a deranged gunman showed up?"
Guest: "Uh Sean that's not what-"
Hannity: "Look it's a simple yes or no question. Are you against teachers being able to protect their students?"
Guest: "Look what I'm trying to say is-"
Hannity: "Just answer yes, or no, do you want teachers to be able to protect their students?"
Guest: "The point I'm trying to make is that giving teachers weapons-"
Hannity: "Okay look if you're not going to answer my question, I'm done with you. Good day sir."

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've listened to Hannity enough times to know how his strawman questions go.

Hannity: "You're against teachers in schools being armed? So you're saying you want teachers to be helpless to prevent the murder of students if a deranged gunman showed up?"
Guest: "Uh Sean that's not what-"
Hannity: "Look it's a simple yes or no question. Are you against teachers being able to protect their students?"
Guest: "Look what I'm trying to say is-"
Hannity: "Just answer yes, or no, do you want teachers to be able to protect their students?"
Guest: "The point I'm trying to make is that giving teachers weapons-"
Hannity: "Okay look if you're not going to answer my question, I'm done with you. Good day sir."

The guest is probably trying to get out the same argument I had with my old man when he claimed that the university I was TAing at should let me carry while teaching.

quote:

Now, first things first, I am in the front-center of the room, alone, with no cover except a particle-board podium. A gunman entering the room has a relatively clear shot until that panic starts, if this policy is in place he knows I'm armed, and the element of surprise. Speaking of that panic, my students, being normal people, are more than likely going to jump up and start running, panicking, etc. the moment someone yells "gun", or a shot is taken. Assuming I'm not the first target or he misses me, I am expected to get to cover, draw, and gun down one person among that crowd of panicking students. Now, I'm not a bad shot, but I don't like my odds on that.

And that's not considering that when police go onto a campus with an active shooter or shooters, last I heard, standing orders are to shoot anyone they find who is armed and not a cop. So even if I execute some sort of action movie dodge and shoot maneuver, and pop the shooter through a crowd of panicking students, I'm still running a decent risk of being gunned down by cops responding to the sound.

Does that seem like a good idea to you?

Even his far-right rear end is sane enough to agree with that.

(And, yeah, I know that whole thing sounds like "And then the whole room applauded and that goon's name is Albert Einstein", but I really am verbose and obnoxious enough to talk like that, and there was no one else around to clap. Sorry. :shobon:)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Twelve by Pies posted:

He's a science guy. You know, like Alton Brown is a food guy.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Even if you come up with the absolute slam dunk perfect answer to these gotcha questions, what they do is they just ask the same question again. Then you give the same answer and then they ask the same question again. Then you get a little irritated and give the same drat answer a 3rd time and then they win the argument by pointing out that not only are you being rude you're just repeating the same thing over and over.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Gustav posted:

Even if you come up with the absolute slam dunk perfect answer to these gotcha questions, what they do is they just ask the same question again. Then you give the same answer and then they ask the same question again. Then you get a little irritated and give the same drat answer a 3rd time and then they win the argument by pointing out that not only are you being rude you're just repeating the same thing over and over.

Yeah you simply cannot debate these people without moderation from an actually objective third party, which hardly ever happens. They don't argue in good faith. They will repeat lies that have been thoroughly debunked, and sometimes more than once in the same argument. The only way to beat these people on TV is outing them as disingenuous liars when they start with bullshit gotcha questions or stock anti-science talking points.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

He's a science guy. You know, like Alton Brown is a food guy.

Oh gently caress You, Sir

Gustav posted:

Confirmed. My dad likes to get into it with me and my brother lately about climate change.

He always asks the same bullshit questions that are supposed to just shut me up, but they're laughably easy to answer. He doesn't ever change his tactics, no matter how many times his poo poo is answered.

Examples:
"Humans being are carbon batteries, what do we do about out growing population"
"If sea levels are rising, why are people in Miami still building houses on the waterfront"
"Why is Miami not underwater, the same beaches and boardwalks I remember as a kid are still there"
"The atmosphere is over 1/3 CO2, how is a colorless, ordorless gas heating the planet?"

I just link him to the NASA climate website and tell him to read up now. It's exhausting.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 2, 2017

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

eNeMeE posted:

LIBERAL LIES!!!! There's no such thing as a citation!

Source:I'm pretty sure I farted that once.

Fact Check: http://www.britannica.com/topic/Citation-racehorse :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Crossposting from the Trump Admin thread! The Sessions thing is getting barely any play in RWM-land, lol. It's not even on the front page of The Blaze or National Review. Oh yeah, so, speaking of which, here's what they ARE talking about today, this time with some citations!

• Sweden is a crime-ridden hellhole thanks to (muslim) immigrants! Breitbart
  • Dow is super high because of Trump and it means he's creating jobs and more jobs are sure to follow! (Basically everybody)
  • This Sessions thing is a hit job by Democrats to make a big deal out of something that really isn't a big deal. (Multiple)
  • Sessions hasn't done anything wrong but this looks bad so he should recuse himself to protect the administration (Multiple with some overlap with above)
  • Free speech is dying! Not because of Trump's attack on press but because of PC culture, shrill feminists, and corporate HR policies! (Nattyreview. lol this article is so whiny it reads like a Kelly cartoon)
  • Liberals are the real sexists for making a big deal of the weird way Kellyanne was sitting on the couch. (Basically everybody)
  • ISIS is behind the bomb threats against Jewish communities and the vandalism and other anti-semitic behavior! They are dressing up like Jews to terrorize Jews! (Breitbart)
  • Everything Trump does is populism, which is actually leftist and bad. Everything good he does is conservative (which is the same as good.) (Nattyreview) Democrats hated Trump's speech because he politically hijacked their issues with his populism - it's good because it will win over Reagan Democrats but it's bad because everything Democrats like is bad! (Mark Levin)
  • W.E.B Du Bois was actually an rear end in a top hat and we're not saying it but we're implying that the NAACP is fruit of a poisoned tree (The Blaze. I've noticed since I started reading a ton of RWM that conservative media outlets run articles that are essentially character assassinations of various figures associated with civil rights, feminism, gay rights, etc. and my guess is that it's to discredit those movements in the eyes of their readers without having to get their hands dirty and directly say those movements are bad.)
  • Obama's shadowy minions are working to undermine Trump (Breitbart, Infowars)

Out of all the things to :catstare: about here, the Breitbart angle on the anti-semitism wave is the one I'm :catstare: about the most. Predictable but still so reprehensible. Of course it's the fault of brown people. But now we know pretty clearly what Trump meant by his weird comments about it -- he was probably mangling something he heard Bannon say behind closed doors.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Xibanya posted:

I've noticed since I started reading a ton of RWM that conservative media outlets run articles that are essentially character assassinations of various figures associated with civil rights, feminism, gay rights, etc. and my guess is that it's to discredit those movements in the eyes of their readers without having to get their hands dirty and directly say those movements are bad.

You're overcomplicating it. Ad hominem attacks have been the weapon of first resort for anyone trying to push back against social change for pretty much all of history.

More often than not, by the time a social movement has enough steam behind it that the establishment notices, it'll already have its position sorted out and its arguments vetted so that it can't be attacked on the merits of its goals, so the opposition has to make do with attacking the character of the movement's membership or outright strawmanning them.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

Crossposting from the Trump Admin thread! The Sessions thing is getting barely any play in RWM-land, lol. It's not even on the front page of The Blaze or National Review. Oh yeah, so, speaking of which, here's what they ARE talking about today, this time with some citations!

• Sweden is a crime-ridden hellhole thanks to (muslim) immigrants! Breitbart

The dumb Eurabia rhetoric is one of my favorite RWM fictions. If the person isn't an utterly hopeless imbecile, it's still possible to turn them around and force some skepticism of sources.

Co-worker in 2012 was asking some sincere but pointed questions about Soros one day (just getting a sense of how he's regarded by lefties, I think), and the week after he flat-out stated that Paris specifically and France generally is majority Muslim. I had to pause the conversation and get him to repeat, them told him I've been in France multiple times both in Paris metro area and the more rural parts.

Then told him we can look at the world fact book and similar sources if he wants to check the numbers, but for France to go that way there would need to have been a more-than-doubling of the population, or a mass conversion on the level of religious purges by the state, or a quiet unreported death of more than half the French population. None of those things have happened in the last decade, and France has demographics not super different than they had a decade ago.

I can't say the co-worker changed his philosophy and politics completely, but stuff like that got him to keep on his continuing education work and generally approach the world as it actually is, rather than the GOP style of paranoid skipping ahead to the worst possible future on every issue.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've had discussions with people I game with online and they are hesitant to reveal that they are Muslim if they know they are speaking to an American. A person was from Bangladesh (which is 98% Muslim or something like that) and they got stressed out when they accidentally mentioned "morning prayers". It's really easy to make snap judgements on people when you never have to deal with them but I got a lot of perspective when I started gaming with people from the Middle East/Eastern Asia. A lot of the problem is that rural conservatives literally never have any interaction with Muslims in daily life so they have nothing to check their prejudices against.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Keeshhound posted:

You're overcomplicating it. Ad hominem attacks have been the weapon of first resort for anyone trying to push back against social change for pretty much all of history.

More often than not, by the time a social movement has enough steam behind it that the establishment notices, it'll already have its position sorted out and its arguments vetted so that it can't be attacked on the merits of its goals, so the opposition has to make do with attacking the character of the movement's membership or outright strawmanning them.

This is precisely why Occupy and BLM avoided having leaders who could be demonized. Of course, that was only so effective.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I've had discussions with people I game with online and they are hesitant to reveal that they are Muslim if they know they are speaking to an American. A person was from Bangladesh (which is 98% Muslim or something like that) and they got stressed out when they accidentally mentioned "morning prayers". It's really easy to make snap judgements on people when you never have to deal with them but I got a lot of perspective when I started gaming with people from the Middle East/Eastern Asia. A lot of the problem is that rural conservatives literally never have any interaction with Muslims in daily life so they have nothing to check their prejudices against.

Fear drives the right.

Fear of people getting what they feel they don't deserve, fear of other religions because they're not milquetoast christian, fear of immigrants taking jobs

none of it is rational, but how do you really fight that kind of poo poo short of forced exposure

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vargatron posted:

I don't know how it'll shake out (not terribly optimistic considering the scene), but kids playing games are learning some Russian specifically to yell at their online counterparts.

The intersectionality of online games is super fascinating.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'll never forget when I was driving my nephews to the grocery store... and one of them saw a hindu temple (it's reall quite large and awesome) that had been build in the early 2000's.

He wanted to know what the "muslims" were doing in "our territory". We had a long discussion about freedom of religion after that... and also about world religion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

I'll never forget when I was driving my nephews to the grocery store... and one of them saw a hindu temple (it's reall quite large and awesome) that had been build in the early 2000's.

He wanted to know what the "muslims" were doing in "our territory". We had a long discussion about freedom of religion after that... and also about world religion.

this one, in suburban atlanta?

http://www.baps.org/Global-Network/North-America/Atlanta.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Considering events like the WI Sikh shooting it is surprising to learn that people can't tell the difference between non-xtian religions