Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ninja edits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nenonen posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39121997

it would have been pretty anticlimactic if WW3 started because a policeman accidentally killed the president of a nuclear power

Oops, my bad :shobon:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spog posted:

What happens at 50seconds?

There's what sounds like a gunshot (though the gun is empty) and a small dimple appears on the side.

Someone else on the range fires their gun during a closeup of the slide.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

They keep handing it off to the next employee who has all his fingers.

*Shipyard Foreman holds up a megaphone to address the new workers being off-loaded* "The one with tool cuts! The one without follows! When the one with the tool gets killed, the one without PICKS UP THE TOOL!"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Former Hanford doctor ‘under duress' to disregard worker safety

http://www.king5.com/news/local/hanford/former-hanford-doctor-under-duress-to-disregard-worker-safety/405358477

"In the mid-2000s, the subject of keeping workers safe from beryllium was a hot topic. The metal was used at Hanford in non-sparking tools and processes used to produce plutonium. It is one of the most hazardous metals on the planet, and some workers become allergic to it or contract a life-threatening disease called Chronic Beryllium Disease. The condition is an incurable lung disease that can cause a person’s health to decline over several years. It can affect not only a person’s lungs, but can also damage a person’s heart, nervous system, and mental health, as well as liver and kidney function.

After a worker would be diagnosed with an allergic reaction to beryllium, a condition called beryllium sensitivity, experts say best practice is to keep them away from beryllium to the greatest extent possible.

“It takes a seemingly trivial amount of beryllium to cause this disease,” said Dr. Lee Newman of the University of Colorado Denver. “So if you’re not being as strict as possible in controlling the exposures, it’s, unfortunately, easy for someone to be overexposed.”

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jay_Zombie posted:

The term "accident" implies that no one is at fault. It was just a mistake, or a miscommunication, or a wild random happenstance.

Negligence on the other hand, is totally avoidable, and lays the blame precisely at the feet of the person who was responsible. Like, for instance, the chucklefuck with the rifle in that article, especially since he, of all people, should have known better. Loaded rifle, safety off, not pointed in a safe direction, finger on the trigger or near something it could catch on, he pretty much broke every rule there is.

[extremely simon pegg voice]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puK5CwThaq4

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

Yep.

Why he was still flying around the track under caution and hit his brakes to go sliding into the jet dryer, that knowledge will be lost to the ages.

Or he did a dumb dumb

Wikipedia says "a defective rear suspension on his #42 Chevrolet inexplicably collapsed, sending Montoya careening into a track support vehicle towing a jet dryer."

I can only assume he did something stupid to wreck the suspension :v:

Cthulu Carl posted:

*Shipyard Foreman holds up a megaphone to address the new workers being off-loaded* "The one with tool cuts! The one without follows! When the one with the tool gets killed, the one without PICKS UP THE TOOL!"

:lol:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Former Hanford doctor ‘under duress' to disregard worker safety

http://www.king5.com/news/local/hanford/former-hanford-doctor-under-duress-to-disregard-worker-safety/405358477

"In the mid-2000s, the subject of keeping workers safe from beryllium was a hot topic. The metal was used at Hanford in non-sparking tools and processes used to produce plutonium. It is one of the most hazardous metals on the planet, and some workers become allergic to it or contract a life-threatening disease called Chronic Beryllium Disease. The condition is an incurable lung disease that can cause a person’s health to decline over several years. It can affect not only a person’s lungs, but can also damage a person’s heart, nervous system, and mental health, as well as liver and kidney function.

After a worker would be diagnosed with an allergic reaction to beryllium, a condition called beryllium sensitivity, experts say best practice is to keep them away from beryllium to the greatest extent possible.

“It takes a seemingly trivial amount of beryllium to cause this disease,” said Dr. Lee Newman of the University of Colorado Denver. “So if you’re not being as strict as possible in controlling the exposures, it’s, unfortunately, easy for someone to be overexposed.”

We have some beryllium stuff at work and the training for it is insane. I'll never be anywhere close to the stuff, but because it's on site everyone has to do the training. I see the occasional bagged item, usually they are solid items that just have beryllium as part of their metal, but they still end up double bagged and covered in huge warning labels. You can only put them in certain places too, which are well marked as beryllium zones.

Some parts of the machine have to be cleaned after every experiment. This means, essentially, that some guys suit up and use angle grinders to get all the bullshit off the machine, which can include beryllium. I do not envy them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone else on the range fires their gun during a closeup of the slide.

And the dimple that appears?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Memento posted:

There's no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The term that article needs is negligent discharge. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger, unless they are so poorly maintained that they can go off if you drop them, which means it's negligent to be loading them in the first place. He's a police sniper so I'm going to assume a certain level of firearm competence in regards to knowing his rifle is broken to the point when it could go off from being dropped. So that idiot either had his finger on the trigger, or let it get caught on something sticking out, but either way the rifle going off is 100% his fault.

"Attempted murder". By even loading it or pointing it at someone he accepted responsibility for their deaths.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You caught me, but it’a not because I don’t know that the eighteenth century comprises A.D. 1701–A.D. 1800.

The Royal Navy did in fact have issues with galvanic corrosion in the seventeenth century.

They wrapped the bottom of the ships in lead to protect the wood from the Worm [sic], but then the (iron‐fastened) rudders fell off. The thing is, they didn’t know why. The naval board just said “stop using lead” because they knew the problem didn’t occur on unleaded ships.

Lead-sheathing exceeds all that ever went before it, namely, its durableness, a Vice of much worse consequence to the health of a Ship, than all it pretends to do, and does against the Worm, can make amends for.”

Austal’s seventeenth century counterpart had some spirited defence of their product.

They don’t know “whatever occult or corroding Quality there may lye conceal'd in the Mill’d‐Lead Sheathing, in respect of the Ruddar‐Irons”, but they want their business back and fifteen years later they’re still printing three‐thousand‐word diatribes about how unjust it is that the navy ain’t buying.

I decided that it was unfair to say the issue was recognised in the seventeenth century—it had been encountered, but was not understood. Only with Alarm did experiments resume, leading to the realisation that the problem was caused by contact between dissimilar metals.

So I changed the reference to the Alarm but initially neglected to change the text.

TL;DR: Austal is the latest in a proud history of inept defence contractors, but they’re centuries out‐of‐date with their excuses.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 1, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We're probably on schedule to forget how to prevent scurvy again.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Keiya posted:

"Attempted murder". By even loading it or pointing it at someone he accepted responsibility for their deaths.

Attempted murder requires actual intent to kill someone. Cops point loaded weapons at people they're not currently intending to kill every day, that's not attempted murder. NDing and putting a round into someone is a crime of negligence, not intent. In most US states it'd be at least a pretty serious misdemeanor if not a felony, but it's not attempted murder.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
That spillway's lookin' a bit worse for wear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvDPt-HU3g

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey well it seems to be mostly natural rock now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

minato posted:

That'll buff out. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spog posted:

And the dimple that appears?

That's just a regular part of the frame. It's the camera that made it hard to see.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

minato posted:

Its a new goldrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fG85qJlOJo

:tinfoil:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

minato posted:

I think that's quite pretty, actually.

Hoooo leeeee shiiit

When I was in school I once found at a hardware store these teeny little circular saw blades, about the size of a quarter and like .010" thick, with tiny teeth and a hole sized to be mounted on a Dremel abrasive cut-off wheel arbor. I thought "hey, cool, this'll be great for cutting little bits of plastic" and bought them.

Mounted one up on the Dremel a few days later, started sawing through some styrene sheet, and after a couple of minutes the thing suddenly jammed on a blob of melted plastic, kicked out of the cut, and bounced off the fingernail of my left middle finger. I was startled and shut it off. Didn't feel anything. Looked closely at my finger, and halfway up the nail, there was a perfect .010" slice from side to side, juuuust deep enough to touch the nail bed. A drop of blood started to well up as I watched.

I superglued the fingernail shut, took the saw blade out, and never used them again.

Anyway, if the absurdly dangerous Dremel tool that nearly sliced off the end of my finger was one of those little lizards that scoots around in the desert, the tool linked above is Godzilla.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
edit actually let's drop it before this turns into yet another thread destroyed by gun control talk

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Dremels are really useful and versatile, but gee whiz does that same versatility make them dangerous. A big high speed motor that accepts basically anything as a bit, that you hold in your hand. We would laugh our asses off at anyone stupid enough to build something like that as a one off, but it's not like the mass produced tool has any safety features.

Splode fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway, if the absurdly dangerous Dremel tool that nearly sliced off the end of my finger was one of those little lizards that scoots around in the desert, the tool linked above is Godzilla.

All tools now need to be rated in Lizards.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Keiya posted:

edit actually let's drop it before this turns into yet another thread destroyed by gun control talk

Guns "r" bad

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

This is one of those situations where they hand you one of those to use, and you say "No, I will not"

If the response is "You're fired if you don't" You just say Ok, Where do I sign without a hint of regret.

If you get called a pussy you say "so I'm a pussy, a pussy with intact face and fingers!"

gently caress that thing and gently caress whoever thought it was even a remotely good idea.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 1, 2017

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Imperial or metric lizards? I can never work out the conversion formula.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Louis Slotin’s screwdriver is Tyrannosaurus rex.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doc Hawkins posted:

We're probably on schedule to forget how to prevent scurvy again.

We don't need to forget how to prevent scurvy, we can actively deny it.

I remember in the old low carb thread in W&W there was one guy who decided eating plants at all was unnecessary for good health - fatty meat is all you need. Apparently Eskimos can go 10 months of the year on an all-meat diet and they don't die of scurvy, so as long as you have a 0 carb diet your body can synthesize vitamin C from fat. Sailors got scurvy not because they went months without eating plants, but because the dried meat they ate wasn't fatty enough, and also because the carb-rich hardtack short circuited the fat-to-vitamin C synthesis somehow.

:psyduck:

That thread was a wild ride.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’d be okay if you ate raw meat.

After all, animals need ascorbic acid in their bodies as much as we do.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You’d be okay if you ate raw meat.

After all, animals need ascorbic acid in their bodies as much as we do.
Most animals synthesize vitamin C. Primates can't though. We have a genetic defect that breaks that function.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Apologies in advance for the Facebook link... people that don't cross-upload to YouTube will be the first to get lined up against the wall and shot when the revolution comes.

https://www.facebook.com/DougWarner.Journalist/videos/1451881858179523/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

We don't need to forget how to prevent scurvy, we can actively deny it.

I remember in the old low carb thread in W&W there was one guy who decided eating plants at all was unnecessary for good health - fatty meat is all you need. Apparently Eskimos can go 10 months of the year on an all-meat diet and they don't die of scurvy, so as long as you have a 0 carb diet your body can synthesize vitamin C from fat. Sailors got scurvy not because they went months without eating plants, but because the dried meat they ate wasn't fatty enough, and also because the carb-rich hardtack short circuited the fat-to-vitamin C synthesis somehow.

:psyduck:

That thread was a wild ride.

The Inuit have been studied very extensively because they survive despite being in areas with extremely little plant-based food (mostly just some roots and moss they can occasionally find, often by taking from rodent burrows) and living almost exclusively off animal products. In the 19th and early 20th century there was a belief among some anthropologists that they had stumbled upon some super diet that revolutionized nutrition forever.

Turns out the only reason this is possible is because the Inuit have spent so long living in this area that they've evolved abnormally large livers and very high urine volume; their livers perform gluconeogenesis to break down proteins to compensate for the lack of carbohydrates in their diet, and extra urea has to be produced to purge the waste products caused by this. They also get their Vitamin C because they consume foods like kelp, liver, brain, and whale skin raw or frozen and thus get the nutrients that would ordinarily be lost by cooking.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

This is one of those situations where they hand you one of those to use, and you say "No, I will not"

If the response is "You're fired if you don't" You just say Ok, Where do I sign without a hint of regret.

If you get called a pussy you say "so I'm a pussy, a pussy with intact face and fingers!"

gently caress that thing and gently caress whoever thought it was even a remotely good idea.

Must be nice to have an alternate income stream lined up that you can make due without getting paid until you find something safer. Too bad that's not the case for the vast majority of people who would have to choose between their fingers and their childrens' meals in that scenario.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Must be nice to have an alternate income stream lined up that you can make due without getting paid until you find something safer. Too bad that's not the case for the vast majority of people who would have to choose between their fingers and their childrens' meals in that scenario.

:stare:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So how did you type that post then? Dictation software?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ahahaha how is job safety even real? Just walk away haha

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the impossible choice between job safety and job safety

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I had thought that cars only do that in the movies.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Decrepus posted:

Ahahaha how is job safety even real? Just walk away haha

Tyler, the Job Creator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Lol, pretty much yeah.