Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ruddiger posted:

So if it's as good as an nes game (in your eyes), shouldn't you still like it considering you still like/play nes games?

It's a joke post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Argh, it's throttled. Anyone have another link?

Nevermind, it's up on youtube now.

... And everyone making GBS threads on the special effects has made me realize that they don't really look all that great. I probably wouldn't have noticed if no one had mentioned it. Thanks, guys :v: Prometheus did look really good though, so I'll hold out hope that there's going to be an extra layer of polish on everything in the theatrical release.

It looks like a solid cast, and there could be some good performances. I just hope the creatures and effects aren't too goofy. Those xenomorph shots in the trailer are pretty gratuitous.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 1, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The effects aren't done yet lmao.

Why people judge effects based on a trailer for a movie that's still a few months away will always baffle me.

Judge them on May 18th.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

So if it's as good as an nes game (in your eyes), shouldn't you still like it considering you still like/play nes games?

Just because it LOOKS as good as good as Atari's 1982 classic Pitfall! does not mean it is as enjoyable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pitfall was enjoyable?!

How the gently caress do you not love movies then? The worst movie probably looks like Macbeth in comparison.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Pitfall was enjoyable?!

How the gently caress do you not love movies then? The worst movie probably looks like Macbeth in comparison.

I do love movies. Only this one looks like it has the same SFX team that worked on 1972's Pong. Sorry you are so hurt by this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm just confused on why you're using an aesthetic you supposedly enjoy as an insult for the movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just want to see if UmOk can keep this going past Spacewar!

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I watched Prometheus and didn't hate it but I must admit I am confused as to how these movies are all supposed to fit together. I think I read this is a direct sequel to Prometheus but it doesn't look like the Engineers are involved at all in the upcoming film.

Please someone tell my stupid rear end what the gently caress is happening lol.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
One thing about special effects is like, what would an alien clinging to the side of a spacecraft accelerating to the ground at 9.8 m/s2 look like? There's footage on youtube of people doing flybys in squirrel suits that looks fake as hell because it's so wildly outside the realm of normal experience.

quote:

I watched Prometheus and didn't hate it but I must admit I am confused as to how these movies are all supposed to fit together. I think I read this is a direct sequel to Prometheus but it doesn't look like the Engineers are involved at all in the upcoming film.

Please someone tell my stupid rear end what the gently caress is happening lol.

Apparently the crashed ship they stumble across is the one Shaw and Michael Fassbender commandeer at the end of Prometheus. And I guess Fassbender has gone full Moreau and is growing monsters and killed off all the Engineers

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UmOk posted:

I do love movies. Only this one looks like it has the same SFX team that worked on 1972's Pong. Sorry you are so hurt by this.

i love this post so much

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Biomute posted:

That's like TV/game quality CGI on those xenomorphs right there.

Having them outside in near daylight against a bright background sure is a brave choice.

alright maybe I've got broken eyes or something but I think this CG looks really, really good?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

alright maybe I've got broken eyes or something but I think this CG looks really, really good?

It looks good and if you loop any CGI effects sequence by watching a trailer over and over it'll look fake because CGI doesn't actually look real.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Seconding that it looks good. Excited to see this movie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Covenant looks to continue the absolute freak-out body horrors from Prometheus. More absolutely startling and brutal sequences like the plasteel face mask decompression are the real draw for me.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
That xenomorph looks super pissed and is acting like one of those dogs that just slobbers constantly outside your car's window.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Worst case scenario I can turn off my brain and reroute power to my eyes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Things i noticed.

I loving love David walking through the corpses of the Engineer city.

You hear Shaw's voice say "David!" when Daniel s picks up the dog tag.

Also there's a corpse of someone on a table when the Alien is perched up on the ceiling.

This movies gonna be dope as hell. It's already doing all the things I loved in Prometheus but with more Xenomorphs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

porfiria posted:

Apparently the crashed ship they stumble across is the one Shaw and Michael Fassbender commandeer at the end of Prometheus. And I guess Fassbender has gone full Moreau and is growing monsters and killed off all the Engineers

I thought Ridley was wittering on about this being Alien 5 and not Prometheus 2 like was expected. So confusing.

I'm not overly enthralled by the trailer, it seems to be loaded with a bunch of stuff I've seen before in previous films. It feels like Alien with a bit of Aliens prequel and obviously a great big glob of Prometheus. I'm hoping they're keeping the exciting poo poo well under wraps.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just finished Prometheus. Still sweet.

There was an Alien comic where they all get super PTSD and broken from fighting too many/much Xenomorphs. It's just like an endless slaughter in their catacombs. Does anybody remember what the name of this comic was?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DC Murderverse posted:

The CGI is more sophisticated than the stuff in the underwater scene in Alien: Resurrection, as one would expect, but the cut from space trucker looking at green screen to fully rendered daylight space-ship acrobatics set piece is super jarring. The series has generally handled this kind of stuff by panning the camera out and having the aliens be dark shapes crawling on a structure like ants, and while this approach is more dynamic and action-filled I find scenes where everything is CGI ala super-hero movies to be more immersion breaking. That said, the actual quality of the CGI set piece is not that great either. Jokes aside, it does look very game-trailer like. The alien is lit really strongly and has an undetailed, greyish matt surface on everything but the head. Clearly they've spent some effort on it, and maybe it is unfinished (why would they have it be the crown jewel of their trailer if it was unfinished?), but seen in context of the cleverly shot, beautifully made hero puppets of the original movies it just looks goofy as gently caress.

Maybe it is nitpicky. I hated the visual style and story of Prometheus so it's no surprise that this trailer would leave me cold. Some of the interior scenes in this clearly try paying homage to the more gritty style of the original three movies, but that just makes me hate it even more when it cuts back to majestic CGI Prometheus-ville.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 1, 2017

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The engineer city looks like a Final Fantasy X location.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Biomute posted:

That said, the actual quality of the CGI set piece is not that great either. Jokes aside, it does look very game-trailer like. The alien is lit really strongly and has an undetailed, greyish matt surface on everything but the head. Clearly they've spent some effort on it, and maybe it is unfinished (why would they have it be the crown jewel of their trailer if it was unfinished?), but seen in context of the cleverly shot, beautifully made hero puppets of the original movies it just looks goofy as gently caress.
Do you have any examples of CGI along similar lines that you actually think looks good (or "movie-quality")? By that I mean, CGI of living things, or other stuff that would probably be similarly difficult to render realistically.

'Cause I'm just really not seeing what you're seeing here.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 1, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Martman posted:

Do you have any examples of CGI along similar lines that you actually think looks good (or "movie-quality")? By that I mean, CGI of living things, or other stuff that would probably be similarly difficult to render realistically.

'Cause I'm just really not seeing what you're seeing here.

Well, my criticism is two-fold, basically I don't think it is possible to render that stuff realistically so why even try when practical effects work so well for the body horror aspects of the xenomorphs. However, the quality of say, the animals in The Jungle Book, while recognizable as CGI, are much more detailed then what is on show here.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Biomute posted:

Jokes aside, it does look very game-trailer like. The alien is lit really strongly and has an undetailed, greyish matt surface on everything but the head. Clearly they've spent some effort on it, and maybe it is unfinished (why would they have it be the crown jewel of their trailer if it was unfinished?), but seen in context of the cleverly shot, beautifully made hero puppets of the original movies it just looks goofy as gently caress.

please stop

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lampsacus posted:

I just finished Prometheus. Still sweet.

There was an Alien comic where they all get super PTSD and broken from fighting too many/much Xenomorphs. It's just like an endless slaughter in their catacombs. Does anybody remember what the name of this comic was?
I'm usually very good at remembering stuff like this and I'm kinda drawing a blank. I can name like a half dozen individual stories that have some elements of what you're describing (catacombs, PTSD, endless Aliens) but none that check every checkbox.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Should've been obvious from the title but it's really funny that this is movie is explicitly about loving and making babies. Was NOT expecting that from Prometheus 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I do think the CGI looks bad, but I mean Alien 3 has that awful greenscreened rod puppet that looked like poo poo even at the time and I still love that movie. I'm not really much of a special effects guy. The real issue is this movie just doesn't look very interesting to me. I'll catch it on DVD though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The trailer looks like a remix of the original movies (including Prometheus). It was also as if each beat of the trailer was part of a checklist.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think the protomorph looks great, it's just a little unusual seeing a creature like this in daylight is all.

The main problems with the visuals in Prometheus were how poorly done the interiors of the Engineer facility were, with the set design being really disappointing and looking like it was rushed through production. No idea how Covenant will fare in comparison but the shot of the ruined city looks good.

Pretty so-so on the movie in general but I still want to see it because of my interest in Fassbender's characters. If it wasn't for David (and now Walter as well) it would be hard to get excited for this film.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
It drools a slobbers as it attempts to break the glass with its penis-like head to get to the tender soft flesh of danny mcbridge

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This movie is going to be awesome, I'm extremely hyped to see what's doin' in that ruined city. David entering the bridge of the Engineer ship in Prometheus is one of my favorite scenes of science fiction in recent years, so I'm hoping for more of that.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I think the protomorph looks great, it's just a little unusual seeing a creature like this in daylight is all.

The main problems with the visuals in Prometheus were how poorly done the interiors of the Engineer facility were, with the set design being really disappointing and looking like it was rushed through production. No idea how Covenant will fare in comparison but the shot of the ruined city looks good.

Pretty so-so on the movie in general but I still want to see it because of my interest in Fassbender's characters. If it wasn't for David (and now Walter as well) it would be hard to get excited for this film.

the effects look pretty dang good from what I've seen but some dork always has to complain about it. same as it ever was.

speaking of interior set design and Fassbender: I'm p. hype to see what's going on in his laboratory because I think that's going to be the best/most hosed up part of the movie

does the drawing of the guy's face above the hollowed out corpse look kinda like Frankenstein's monster to anyone else?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wuffles posted:

does the drawing of the guy's face above the hollowed out corpse look kinda like Frankenstein's monster to anyone else?

Oh god, now David/whatever his name is will be a father! He will create life and it will not be a good thing.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Oh god, now David/whatever his name is will be a father! He will create life and it will not be a good thing.

I just hope that at some point, Daniels or whoever's still alive when they realize what he's done, get to ask him the big WHY??

and his response is just a coldly-delivered "because I could" with a wry smile on the end that can only come from the self-satisfaction of a one-liner burn he's been cooking up in solitude for over a decade

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Really digging that gangly look.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If the xenomorphs end up being a product of humans and engineers created by David the android I will be satisfied. I am also eagerly awaiting Shaw's fate although I know it won't be good.

Was Franco in that trailer at all? Must have missed him if he was.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Yeah

word on the street is that xenomorphs as we know them and basically everything in both movies were created by David

Also will be interesting if one David is more benevolent and the other isn't. Also how did he reattach his head.

And Franco must die early, which is good, because he just doesn't fit the movie especially not as a captain.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

oswald ownenstein posted:

word on the street is that xenomorphs as we know them and basically everything in both movies were created by David

Yeah, and I consider that to be a far more interesting origin story than the xenos merely being some kind of biological weapon. I'm fairly sure that the creature in the trailer is the protomorph as well, and that they're keeping the reveal of the classic xenomorph that David creates for the climax of the film. It's going to be fascinating to see how Walter plays in to this as well, if the leaked script is true with David being killed but Walter continuing his work and taking an egg on to the colony ship where thousands of colonists are in stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wuffles posted:

the effects look pretty dang good from what I've seen but some dork always has to complain about it. same as it ever was.

speaking of interior set design and Fassbender: I'm p. hype to see what's going on in his laboratory because I think that's going to be the best/most hosed up part of the movie

That screenshot you posted? There's an identical shot in 'AvP' and I can't un-see it.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah

Also will be interesting if one David is more benevolent and the other isn't. Also how did he reattach his head.

And Franco must die early, which is good, because he just doesn't fit the movie especially not as a captain.

If that spoiler ends up being the case, it makes you wonder where the Aliens in the first two movies came from, since their eggs were from a Derelict ship that had been sitting on LV-426 for seemingly millennia.