Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I don't mind taking you on if you wanted Persuasive, but that's generally considered one of the easier stats to level: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aleth

For the new monthly story did anyone keep the clay arm? I was intrigued but felt the alternative fit my character better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aleth posted:

For the new monthly story did anyone keep the clay arm? I was intrigued but felt the alternative fit my character better.

Not that impressive a reward, just a Searing Enigma and an increased sense of apathy from the clay dust settling in my heart..

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reminder that there's less than a week left on the Sunless Skies kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea/

Also, they're really close to giving us a new hat in FL, just one social goal away.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

My, what a keen little mushroom! Raring to go, and eager to see every soggy corner of the wide, wide zee. But is it too young to be a zailor? Because you're pretty sure it drew that moustache on itself with a pen.

:allears:

That's if they get 8 more social goals in the next week, so it probably won't happen. But goodness, do I want it to.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, that would take a ton of new people following them on social media and churning out fanart in addition to pledging.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm at 40 Criminal Renown, so I decide it's time to bop off to New Newgate for the renown item. Since I don't care to increase my criminal record any further, I decide to simply level my Casing and try and fail a Brass Embassy robbery. It'll tank my Connected: Hell, but I never liked the Devils too much anyways except as marks to outwit or chumps to thump. (Except for the Quiet Deviless, who at least seems to have a conscience about the whole thing).

I've managed to succeed at five 60% chance Brass Embassy robberies so far :v:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

super sweet best pal posted:

Reminder that there's less than a week left on the Sunless Skies kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea/

Also, they're really close to giving us a new hat in FL, just one social goal away.

My personal hope is that they'll pull 330K pounds from the kickstarter, which is their entire stated budget. I really like the idea that they could start on this game with zero financial risk, all entirely paid for at the start, and that all sales upon release would be profit. It looks like we'll end close to that, my guess is 300-310K pounds or so.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Barring some huge surge for whatever reason, I'm betting on ~300k pounds and 9k backers. Shame we apparently won't get the final stretch goal/Royal Society chapter.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Aleth posted:

I don't mind taking you on if you wanted Persuasive, but that's generally considered one of the easier stats to level: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aleth

Persuasion isn't an issue for me at the moment, I'm more after shadowy and dangerous, but I've sent you a calling card anyway. I could use some help getting first city coins for Heart's Desire if you're up for robbing the museum?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I was just going to send you some but apparently you're 'somewhere else' so I can't right now. How many more do you need?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Aleth posted:

I was just going to send you some but apparently you're 'somewhere else' so I can't right now. How many more do you need?

I was in prison, I wanted to see what I could get out of all the menaces after I got some neat stories out of going insane.

If you're willing to part with some I need 77 for Heart's Desire.

Mise
Oct 6, 2010
Started playing again on the mobile app, some weeks ago. Now I'm back in the university and have a bookcase from riding my ship to some islands in the unter zee.

And while selling stuff I made enough money to buy one of the 400 Echo hats or

The smock of "way to many pockets"
Or

A nice pair of salivating gloves

(My character is watchful based)

I kind of like getting the tub of gloam foam over the frock because I just got a cloths colony from Polythreme.

The other tought I had is, if I should get the semiotic monocle first because I seem to remember it has some uses other than wearing it.

And on another note, I thought about becoming an exceptional friend.
Just a quick question: generally speaking what can you do in the house of chimes?

Cheers my fellow neath dwelling citizens!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

monthly stories (wonder if there's gonna be any more non-premium content ever??) and some gambling. it's literally just an area used for a couple of quick stories and the monthly exceptional friend ones.

mind you, the gambling (as a POSI) is one of the better ways of grinding echoes, if you don't mind the odd point of suspicion.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

CheeseThief posted:

I was in prison, I wanted to see what I could get out of all the menaces after I got some neat stories out of going insane.

If you're willing to part with some I need 77 for Heart's Desire.

Sent. I have several hundred I slowly accumulate just in case they are ever needed for anything else and to send to people on HD that need them.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

Mise posted:

The other tought I had is, if I should get the semiotic monocle first because I seem to remember it has some uses other than wearing it.
From what I remember, the primary use of the monocle beyond stats is with lacre to raise your Taste of Lacre and Scholar of the Correspondence around Christmas. Given the current date, you can probably pass on that one for now unless I'm forgetting another use.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Mise posted:

Started playing again on the mobile app, some weeks ago. Now I'm back in the university and have a bookcase from riding my ship to some islands in the unter zee.

And while selling stuff I made enough money to buy one of the 400 Echo hats or

The smock of "way to many pockets"
Or

A nice pair of salivating gloves

(My character is watchful based)

I kind of like getting the tub of gloam foam over the frock because I just got a cloths colony from Polythreme.

If you're a PoSI, you should prioritize getting items that will raise your BDR as much as possible. That's going to be much more useful to you in the long run than the other stat bumps, nice as they are when you're still low level.

Out of what you have listed there, I'd go for the Lenguals. They're the best gloves available currently and the only ones that give you a point of BDR.

The Semiotic Monocle is very nice at Christmas, but you can wait awhile to get it, as was mentioned before.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I've found my way into the Labyrinth of Tigers after capturing a goat demon.

Do I want to be there? There's some dangerous stuff to do but it mostly gets me deeper in. Hunting Dangerous Beasts on the surface earns up to 20 echos per capture and gets me a few points of dangerous each time.

I don't want to either leave and have to work my way back down, or stay there for nothing much.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

(wonder if there's gonna be any more non-premium content ever??)

When and what were the last few non-premium things? They've been so few and far between it's hard to remember. Part of why I was excited for the monthly subscriber stories was the massive drop in content since they started doing other projects besides FL.

Harik posted:

I've found my way into the Labyrinth of Tigers after capturing a goat demon.

Do I want to be there? There's some dangerous stuff to do but it mostly gets me deeper in. Hunting Dangerous Beasts on the surface earns up to 20 echos per capture and gets me a few points of dangerous each time.

I don't want to either leave and have to work my way back down, or stay there for nothing much.

The level of the labyrinth you're in gets saved when you go back to a different part of the city, which is a good thing since the fourth level requires visits to places outside the labyrinth.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

When and what were the last few non-premium things? They've been so few and far between it's hard to remember. Part of why I was excited for the monthly subscriber stories was the massive drop in content since they started doing other projects besides FL.

The level of the labyrinth you're in gets saved when you go back to a different part of the city, which is a good thing since the fourth level requires visits to places outside the labyrinth.

That's cool at least.

What about the other half of the question:

Do I want to be there? I need to up my watchful to get much farther in than coil 4, I'm down to minuscule chances of actually finding the next level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

carnelian coast and flash lays, i think. as well as the changeup to Connected

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Harik posted:

That's cool at least.

What about the other half of the question:

Do I want to be there? I need to up my watchful to get much farther in than coil 4, I'm down to minuscule chances of actually finding the next level.

I haven’t completed the Labyrinth myself yet, but there’s lots of entertaining weirdness going on in there, and a good slice of lore that unlocks gradually as you build up Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers. A lot of storylets only become visible at a highish Making Progress, though, giving the inner coils an oddly empty feel to start with.

Have you spoken to the Tiger Keeper? He’s needed to progress the main storyline, but he’s elusive and you’ll need to go through a few intermediaries, who will appear in the First Coil (I think) as you build up The Hunt is On!, needing more ThiO each time to find the next person. You can only speak to the Tiger Keeper himself with a Dangerous of 104 or more, otherwise his room will be empty.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yay, Judgemental Hats for everyone thanks to the Sunless Skies kickstarter social goals thing. I don't think we'll get the Blemmigan tier done though, alas.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Is there any reason to buy more than one lodgings? The decommissioned steamer sounds really cool to me but it's a side grade to my current home.

Thanks for your help with the Sudden Insights Aleth!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

If you're a PoSI, you should prioritize getting items that will raise your BDR as much as possible. That's going to be much more useful to you in the long run than the other stat bumps, nice as they are when you're still low level.

Out of what you have listed there, I'd go for the Lenguals. They're the best gloves available currently and the only ones that give you a point of BDR.

The Semiotic Monocle is very nice at Christmas, but you can wait awhile to get it, as was mentioned before.

Prioritising the ability to have at least one point of BDR in every slot is good advice.

And there's now a free BDR hat from Sunless Skies social goals - all you have to do is click a button:

Not so great if you just blew 400 echoes on something only slightly better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CheeseThief posted:

Is there any reason to buy more than one lodgings? The decommissioned steamer sounds really cool to me but it's a side grade to my current home.

Lodgings have different ways to raise your Making Waves stat and they're the main source of certifiable scraps. The steamer also provides tiny amounts of Great Game reputation, which is good because Great Game is kind of rare later on.

xiansi posted:

Prioritising the ability to have at least one point of BDR in every slot is good advice.

And there's now a free BDR hat from Sunless Skies social goals - all you have to do is click a button:

The desire for best in slot makes paupers of us all. Especially those who want to own goats.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CheeseThief posted:

Yes, investing in real estate can net you lots of scraps.

Mise
Oct 6, 2010

xiansi posted:

Thanks for the advice of buying the Lenguels, thread.

I also joined the young stags and made a newspaper and suddenly found myself in reach for getting noteability up and maybe becoming a midnighter.
Anyone up for some dinners? And are there better ways for grinding making waves, other than the palace (with life of the mind)?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The conclusion to the Season of Skies is up! I was going to write a stroppy email about it not arriving in February, but now I don't have to because it has.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, I opted to deliver her work to the Widow and got a Starstone Demark out of it. Only got a few CPs of Nightmares for using the glass tablet, worth it for the visions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aleth posted:

Yup, I opted to deliver her work to the Widow and got a Starstone Demark out of it. Only got a few CPs of Nightmares for using the glass tablet, worth it for the visions.

Aleth! I didn't know you hated the people of Naples

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, the season of skies conclusion is a tough decision. I think I've narrowed it down to two.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I turned her in to the Constables, because I didn't want to kill everyone in Naples and risk London for "theoretical" protection from the Judgments. Also I suspect my mirrorfriends wouldn't have been happy with that part either. But I liked her enough to want her alive and didn't want to destroy her research either.

Also, the Sunless Skies kickstarter is close enough to its last few goals we might actually get those blemmigans. (We're definitely getting a new piece of Masters lore, so that's exciting.)

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

Aleth posted:

Only got a few CPs of Nightmares for using the glass tablet, worth it for the visions.

Agreed, the visions were pretty great. I decided to burn it all down and got an Elemental Secret. Couldn't take the option you did for reasons Hypocrisy and Otherkinsey noted, and of the two remaining options, it seemed appropriate to do the same thing I did with the Persona Engine.

Also excited for Masters lore, and hoping for Blemmigans. Also hoping they make that last stretch goal now that they've revealed it!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Who cares about Naples when you can have the entire High Wilderness? Unless I totally misunderstood, the endgame of her plan wasn't just returning to the Surface, it was buggering off the planet altogether as a potential start to Sunless Skies.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Screw naples, I'm punching that hole.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
What did Naples ever do for the Neath? Also yeah, I kept the Persona Engine running as although I'm highly enmeshed with the Devils I'm still a progressive Londoner at heart and will happily embrace new technologies to see her prosper.

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.
Hope you're all enjoying your hat! I'm pretty optimistic that we'll make enough social goals for the Blemmigans. If you're interested in pitching in, you could come and watch the final stream of the campaign between 1600 and 1900 GMT on Friday, at twitch.tv/failbettergames. We're trying to reach 500 viewers and by then I think that might be the only goal before victory.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For dumbies like me, that'd be 11 A.M. and 2 P.M. EST.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aleth posted:

Yay, Judgemental Hats for everyone thanks to the Sunless Skies kickstarter social goals thing. I don't think we'll get the Blemmigan tier done though, alas.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic23902-social-goals-an-organizing.aspx?page=2#post185998

By the forum count here, we're actually pretty close to Blemmigan. Every bit helps!

EDIT: Blemmigan AND the last stretch goal achieved, and it's not even Friday yet.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I think I just hit double digits for trying to fail at Robbing the Brass Embassy but succeeding :v:

I just want to be thrown in prison again without further racking up the record! marwood! Send me to prison!