Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So for a normal user, what is the average amount of time that passes between clean Windows installs? I average about once a year per PC. The desktop I use for my media editing has been progressively getting slower over the past couple of months - it's amazing how a clean install brings it back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Goober Peas posted:

So for a normal user, what is the average amount of time that passes between clean Windows installs? I average about once a year per PC. The desktop I use for my media editing has been progressively getting slower over the past couple of months - it's amazing how a clean install brings it back to normal.

Barring hardware failure or malware, the average user should not have to reinstall Windows. If your PC benefits from annual reinstalls, something's going very wrong.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Windows 10 users get a forced reinstall every year anyway if they don't disable upgrades.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

bobfather posted:

I'm the IT guy from earlier in this thread who would ask for you to be terminated on the spot for doing this.

haha ok, I downloaded AHK from a company approved list of software. My manager installed AHK on the other computers in our secure lab after seeing all the scripts I use, so I think I'm safe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Goober Peas posted:

You shouldn't be doing this. You also probably aren't getting any sort of speedup in a workload like that, unless you've been accidentally yet consistently installing some program that's always running and always hogging a lot of RAM and CPU load no matter what else you're doing on the machine.

Next time you think you have a slowdown, try and investigate what stuff you've installed and left running.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I literally only did a semi-clean reinstall after my laptop kept hanging up on boot after installing the Anniversary Update, and even that was mostly an excuse to get rid of the cruft left over from the 7 >10 upgrade. Any other time I've had to reinstall Windows on my personal machines was as part of replacing a dying hard drive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

Looks like wcifs is the filesystem driver for Hyper-V, if that helps.

That would make sense, since recent windows 10 updates have included hyper-v on systems that have no business using hyper-v...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you're still reinstalling windows in 2017 it's acting as no more than a glorified defrag.
Buy an SSD instead.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Sorry if this isn't the right thread. Point me the right way if this ain't the thread.

So, I've finally decided to get a password manager. I have way too many for lots of sites and I'm starting to reuse password.
What's the best one to get?

I want one for my iPhone, Macbook and Computer. Not too expensive but I don't mind paying.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
LastPass is the best password manager. Clients for everything you mentioned. Highly recommend!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Keepass is better because you aren't paying to keep your passwords on a high value target.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Keepass is better because you aren't paying to keep your passwords on a high value target.

Is LastPass under attack or what do you mean?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Simple Simon posted:

Is LastPass under attack or what do you mean?

I assume he means that every hacker in the world dreams of compromising LastPass, and LastPass has lots of potential points of failure without any real way to audit their security.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

You don't pay Lastpass to keep anything. They used to charge for use of the mobile clients but they made that free a while back.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thermopyle posted:

I assume he means that every hacker in the world dreams of compromising LastPass, and LastPass has lots of potential points of failure without any real way to audit their security.
Exactly. Password managers are already an eggs-in-one-basket solution, you don't need to pile a baskets-all-in-one-basket solution on top of that.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Wait, so I shouldn't get a password manager? Is it better to just get a pen and paper and just write it down?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Simple Simon posted:

Wait, so I shouldn't get a password manager? Is it better to just get a pen and paper and just write it down?

Absolutely everyone can use a password manager should use one, it's just not the end all be all of account security. For example, I use Keepass, so I accept I either have to:

A) Keep the archive in the cloud and make sure each device I need to use passwords on has a copy of the key file and understand that cloud service may be susceptible to downtime for one reason or another, or
B) Accept the additional responsibility to copy and update each copy of the archive file I keep on each device I wish to login from, as well as my designated backup sources.

Additionally, I understand that the password manager programs themselves are far from infallible.

Adding 2FA as well is the best most users can reasonably do, particularly something like Google Authenticator or Authy that eliminates SMS as a point of social engineering attacks.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Keepass is definitely more secure, but a lot less convenient

Not to say lastpass isn't secure, it's what I use, as the convenience far far outweighs any downsides

The android client is really really good, especially now it's free, and recent updates to the Chrome client make it really nice

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think lastpass is very insecure and the security problems far outweigh the the convenience. Talking as someone who has migrated from LastPass to KeePass, I have barely lost any convenience but definitely and measurably gained security.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lastpass fucks up often enough (with new/updated passwords) that I don't feel comfortable recommending it to non-technical people, security issues aside. The convenience is great until you have to janitor it

Keepass on Android means you have to trust some random third-party app, which doesn't feel secure at all. But a lot of security-conscious people seem ok with it :shrug:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

baka kaba posted:

Lastpass fucks up often enough (with new/updated passwords) that I don't feel comfortable recommending it to non-technical people, security issues aside. The convenience is great until you have to janitor it

Keepass on Android means you have to trust some random third-party app, which doesn't feel secure at all. But a lot of security-conscious people seem ok with it :shrug:

Better than a webapp that can man in the middle you at any moment.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Keepass is definitely more secure, but a lot less convenient

Please try to quantify this non sequitur. Then, Google "recovering from identity fraud" then weigh a couple of horror stories against the "inconvenience" of having to click a mouse 2 more times or something.

It's also not any less convenient unless you're not taking any steps to make it easier (dropbox / other cloud sync). Both it and most cloud options are platform agnostic at this point.
"But it works fine for me" isn't a valid argument for Lastpass. 2200 people would have said the same before The Titanic's gaping design flaws were revealed too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

By more convenient I mean not having to deal with moving and keeping an archive around and updated, and deal with a pretty janky app that doesn't do autofill very well (though that may have improved since i tried it a few years back)

I'm also happy with the way lastpass dealt with the last security breach, and confident nothing of mine was actually compromised in any way

If it wasn't as convenient, I'd probably slip into old and lazy habits again. So I've weighed it up, and stuck with lastpass

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Another point in favor of LastPass: if you can't install Dropbox or whatever on every machine you use, it's hard to keep a local archive in sync with every other archive. You could argue that's even more secure (compartmentalization!).

I'll admit I don't really understand why some people dislike LastPass because it's in the cloud, and then happily recommend storing a KeePass archive in Dropbox or Onedrive or iCloud or Boxi. If someone compromises those platforms and is after sensitive data, it's not a stretch to say they would look for KeePass archives. "But that archive is encrypted!" I hear you say. Well, so are LastPass', and they don't keep the private key. "So LastPass says..." I hear you say. Well, so say the developers of KeePass, too. Unless you're personally audited every bit of code used in something like this, you're trusting someone to not gently caress up your security.

Saying, "I recommend KeePass over Lastpass because I trust that developer more," is fine, but saying its architecturally more secure just because you put it on ~other cloud service~ is not. Again, you could argue that, "I trust Dropbox not to expose my data more than I trust Lastpass to not expose my data,", but I really don't understand the "it's architecturally more secure" argument.

Hopefully I didn't just make a straw man. In any case, I think it's difficult to argue that using a password manager is more secure for most people than using "AppleP13" as a password for everything.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dashlane's been working well enough for me. Similar to Lastpass, but I liked its functionality better.
With that in mind, I still have 2FA on my gmail accounts, which are what everything is tied to. So even if someone does compromise my Dashlane account, they will have another really tough time getting into my Gmail accounts, which are what would screw me.
I'm 100% more confident that my online accounts are more secure now that everything has a unique password, rather than my old system where one compromise would have hosed me.
So I'd say using anything still beats nothing, and just be aware/use 2FA when available, and 100% protect your most important accounts (aka your main gmail account, or whatever you use for most sites to signup)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I feel like the same people who dump on lastpass because of the whole "store your passwords in their ~cloud~" thing then go on to talk about setting up keepass to sync with their dropbox or google drive and it's just like uhhhhhhh

I do get the idea of liking keepass better because it's open source though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I feel like the same people who dump on lastpass because of the whole "store your passwords in their ~cloud~" thing then go on to talk about setting up keepass to sync with their dropbox or google drive and it's just like uhhhhhhh

I agree the open source nature of KeePass is a huge plus.

What is the Goon recommended 2FA app? Does Microsoft's work on everything?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I use Authy for my 2FA needs. It's installed on my phone as well as in a chrome extension or plugin or whatever they are called these days. It also does easy backup and restores which is nice.

I think winauth may be an alternative if you just need to do 2FA from Windows though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I use Google Authenticator for almost everything these days.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I the only person that switched from LastPass to 1Password and think it's far superior?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ynglaur posted:

I agree the open source nature of KeePass is a huge plus.

What is the Goon recommended 2FA app? Does Microsoft's work on everything?

Lastpass has a 2FA app that I use that's pretty nice. Wish it backed up codes like Authy, but I'm sure they'll add that eventually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm holding out for proper iOS support of yubikeys, which should be pretty great if it ever happens.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Theoretically, you could give your keepass file to SuperHacker and you're fine. So, it doesn't matter what Dropbox does with it.

We don't actually know what LastPass does with your data, particularly because it would be trivial for LastPass or someone with access to their network to obtain your password.

(Note that while there are complex and subtle arguments for KeePass over LastPass, I'm not making those here, I'm just addressing the argument that KeePass+Dropbox is equivalent to Lastpass because they're both ~cloud~.)

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Interesting article on El Reg today, which highlights certain vulnerabilities of popular password managers. An independent firm went through a bunch of them and found vulns. Supposedly all of the vulnerabilities they found have been fixed for each application tested. Although hardcoding the master key for your entire vault seems hardly a small mishap by LastPass..

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I'll admit I don't really understand why some people dislike LastPass because it's in the cloud, and then happily recommend storing a KeePass archive in Dropbox or Onedrive or iCloud or Boxi. If someone compromises those platforms and is after sensitive data, it's not a stretch to say they would look for KeePass archives. "But that archive is encrypted!" I hear you say. Well, so are LastPass', and they don't keep the private key. "So LastPass says..." I hear you say. Well, so say the developers of KeePass, too. Unless you're personally audited every bit of code used in something like this, you're trusting someone to not gently caress up your security.
The difference is that someone trying to compromise generic cloud services is doing so to steal celebrity photos or poo poo like that and may not even know what to do with Keepass archives - if any - that they obtain as part of the compromise. Someone trying to compromise a cloud service that does nothing but store passwords is trying to steal your passwords.

LastPass archives may be encrypted, but thieves don't have to compromise the archive. They only need to compromise the service - such as last year when a guy figured out how any website could fish for plaintext copies of any password in your vault. Keepass is at least open source so if you wanted to you could personally audit the code, and the fragmentation of how it is implemented by users makes any breach much smaller in scope.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ghostlight posted:

The difference is that someone trying to compromise generic cloud services is doing so to steal celebrity photos or poo poo like that and may not even know what to do with Keepass archives - if any - that they obtain as part of the compromise. Someone trying to compromise a cloud service that does nothing but store passwords is trying to steal your passwords.

LastPass archives may be encrypted, but thieves don't have to compromise the archive. They only need to compromise the service - such as last year when a guy figured out how any website could fish for plaintext copies of any password in your vault. Keepass is at least open source so if you wanted to you could personally audit the code, and the fragmentation of how it is implemented by users makes any breach much smaller in scope.

This makes sense. Personally, Lastpass offers the right amount of protection and convenience for me so it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

baka kaba posted:

Three of the four Android apps are open source, so they're about as trustworthy as KeePass itself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah but it's another completely separate point of trust in the chain, that most people will have updating automatically. It just makes me think of browser extensions where people go hey what's with all this malware, oh no the author sold the extension to nefarious types!

I mean it's probably fine but people seem reaaaal casual about it considering

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Another point in favor of LastPass: if you can't install Dropbox or whatever on every machine you use, it's hard to keep a local archive in sync with every other archive. You could argue that's even more secure (compartmentalization!).

Saying, "I recommend KeePass over Lastpass because I trust that developer more," is fine, but saying its architecturally more secure just because you put it on ~other cloud service~ is not. Again, you could argue that, "I trust Dropbox not to expose my data more than I trust Lastpass to not expose my data,", but I really don't understand the "it's architecturally more secure" argument.

Hopefully I didn't just make a straw man. In any case, I think it's difficult to argue that using a password manager is more secure for most people than using "AppleP13" as a password for everything.

You absolutely do not understand the problem.

Neither a LP or KP data blob can be decrypted. It's just not possible given our understanding of encryption.
However, when you decrypt a KP archive you are doing so locally, and you can verify the program doing it is genuine. Keepass has also been extensively audited already and is opensource so anyone can do the same.

With lastpass, you are not decrypting a local file but asking LP's servers (via it's poorly designed plugin) to serve the plugin data, and then entering your master password into this. The fundamental problems are:

- you cannot verify you are speaking to LPs servers
- you cannot verify LPs servers are not compromised
- you cannot easily verify your browser is showing you something that is not LPs app
- you cannot easily verify (or won't as a matter of course) that the plugin has not been swapped out

Keepass has a minute attack surface on a personal level and almost none on an infrastructure one.
Lastpass has a giant attack surface (closed source plugin talking to a server inscrutably by the user) and one of the largest bulls-eyes on it's back possible.
Lastpass have also suffered multiple breaches barely above the level of 'bored script kiddie' and if anyone competent had have tried do to similar they would have had horror-show levels of access.

Any and all 'protections' lastpass claim are security theatre because if someone owns their server and starts MITM-ing users, they would just loving end-run around it.
Someone can hack dropbox and dump every keepass database onto the web somewhere and you as the end user should not be affected. Someone gaining access to LPs servers (again) could be catastrophic.

Imagining lastpass being breached again should not seem far fetched when you consider the sheer number and complexity of breaches in previous years. Many of those companies were doing a lot better of a job than lastpass have been.

Skarsnik posted:

By more convenient I mean not having to deal with moving and keeping an archive around and updated, and deal with a pretty janky app that doesn't do autofill very well (though that may have improved since i tried it a few years back)
Moving a small file should not be difficult; even considering you can't install dropbox and/or can't carry a memory stick, you can simply URL--shorten a cloud link so you can always download the file wherever you are. e.g. point https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwozsrhfshq5/myvault.kdbx?dl=0 to bit.ly/SkarsniksKP

If that's still impossible use the mobile app and write the password in manually.
If that's still impossible use passphrases and refer to the app for prompts.
If that's still aids to you, use 1password.

There's not a usecase for "eh ... but I would need to click a link?? Best trust my entire identity to this service that has had multiple breaches I guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Not trying to play "source your quotes" , but do you mind pointing me to the breaches you mention?