Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

they did this like a month ago. it'll be nice if they start being good and actually helping people (apparently there'e going to be a new drug reimportation bill and cory booker has sworn to god he'll vote for it this time), but i'm pretty doubtful. they refused to be good dems even in the shadow of trump's ascendancy, why would they change now that they think they can do nothing and slide back into office because of how awful trump is?

really?

booker was one of the prime opponents of that poo poo and he's signaling that he's changing his loving tune literally a month later

if he does change then he's a good dem, if he doesn't then he'll still be a bad dem

in case you haven't noticed trump is the loving president and i'll take whatever allies i can get, even if they were mother fuckers literally a month ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
siiiiiike not voting for it, later sucker! -cory booker

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"IP laws are very sick, hella noms" - sensible adult democrat

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

really?

booker was one of the prime opponents of that poo poo and he's signaling that he's changing his loving tune literally a month later

if he does change then he's a good dem, if he doesn't then he'll still be a bad dem

in case you haven't noticed trump is the loving president and i'll take whatever allies i can get, even if they were mother fuckers literally a month ago

i'll take allies too. just the dems have to actually show they're allies, and so far they haven't. and it'll take more than one vote to convince me, but it'll be a good start

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Neurolimal posted:

artists and inventors should get paid for their work

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oh no! They use patents for their newly developed products! This is a unique and pure evil! We should certainly use our political energy to put a stop to this!

Intellectual property rights are garbage and so are you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

yeah, but their kids shouldn't. in fact, they should only get paid for like 20 years.

also, software patents are total bs

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

yeah, but their kids shouldn't. in fact, they should only get paid for like 20 years.

:agreed:

IP law as it exists right now is bad

IP law as a concept however isn't

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oh no! They use patents for their newly developed products! This is a unique and pure evil! We should certainly use our political energy to put a stop to this!

i've patented your genes. pay me or die, fleshheap

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

anime was right posted:

*removes levis, bends over*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

:agreed:

IP law as it exists right now is bad

IP law as a concept however isn't

patents in some areas literally should not exist. software patents for one are bullshit, and gene patents are too if you're just patenting genetic code

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

anime was right posted:

Jokes on you I just gave myself a lethal dose of radiation

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gringostar posted:

Avowed accelerationist moron also supports IP laws. What a shock.

They're not entitled to poo poo. Especially when their patented ideas gently caress over other people with better ideas. See: every major tech corporation's patent and legal departments designed specifically to keep a stranglehold on all possible monetary gain from independent new thinkers/inventors.

You are stupid.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Terror Sweat posted:

same bro i love monopolies

Okay so go ahead and campaign on ending patents as a thing. Good luck with that.

It would be better for you guys if you tried to avoid living up to the stereotype that you just want free stuff.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

Walt Disney did nothing wrong.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

Jokes on you I just gave myself a lethal dose of radiation

you just violated my patent on "a method for random genetic damage." pay me

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Okay so go ahead and campaign on ending patents as a thing. Good luck with that.

Jesus Christ lmao

"Corporations owning everything is a good thing, stupid leftists"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Elephant Ambush posted:

Avowed accelerationist moron also supports IP laws. What a shock.

They're not entitled to poo poo. Especially when their patented ideas gently caress over other people with better ideas. See: every major tech corporation's patent and legal departments designed specifically to keep a stranglehold on all possible monetary gain from independent new thinkers/inventors.

You are stupid.

Sir this is a planned parenthood

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Jesus Christ lmao

"Corporations owning everything is a good thing, stupid leftists"

What "everything" does Monsanto own?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

you just violated my patent on "a method for random genetic damage." pay me

you can't take my money if I'm dead!!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

patents in some areas literally should not exist. software patents for one are bullshit, and gene patents are too if you're just patenting genetic code

:agreed: genetic code patent

software patents are fine (provided it's not that long) but what's not fine are tech companies going patent trolling

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It would be better for you guys if you tried to avoid living up to the stereotype that you just want free stuff.

can't wait for monsanto to perfect the genes that give you a bigger penis so they can literally own you when you seek help for your problems

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

logikv9 posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/planned-parenthood-opens-8-billion-abortionplex-20476

:unsmigghh:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What "everything" does Monsanto own?

That's not what that sentence meant.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lmao this owns

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

can't wait for monsanto to perfect the genes that give you a bigger penis so they can literally own you when you seek help for your problems

It's kind of funny how you hate them so much but are incapable of explaining why.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That's not what that sentence meant.

So you hate Monsanto for something you aren't trying to suggest they are doing?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
It's me, the guy who stans for the massive agribusiness corporation because hippies hate it. Vote for my party.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

hypothetical candidate that's for single payer and >$15 minimum wage but also likes IP patents and takes money from big donors

vote yea or nea

assume bernie has offered no opinion on this candidate

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

we can't stop marie le pen because gandhi said "gently caress bitches get money" :confused:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's kind of funny how you hate them so much but are incapable of explaining why.

So you hate Monsanto for something you aren't trying to suggest they are doing?

patents stymie innovation, halt competition, and in the case of gene patents harms crop diversity (which is important for resillience, esp. With global warming related crises imminent)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

:agreed: genetic code patent

software patents are fine (provided it's not that long) but what's not fine are tech companies going patent trolling

software and all things derived from it are all derivative of math, and should not be patentable since they are strictly reduceable to math

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Patent math so nobody can use or learn it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

logikv9 posted:

gimme two eggs, over, easy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

UHD posted:

hypothetical candidate that's for single payer and >$15 minimum wage but also likes IP patents and takes money from big donors

vote yea or nea

of course, but only if that was the only viable option. the issue is if they'd actually act despite taking donor money.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
"You can't even say why Monsanto isn't good, stupid leftist" :smuggo:

They suck because they're a modern capitalistic corporation that strips power from the people en-masse and wants to turn it into short-term profit for themselves.

Also, modern industrial agriculture is one of the biggest contributor to climate change, and Monsanto loves industrial agriculture.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Once my patent on shitposting goes through I'l finally be a thousandaire

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Fiction posted:

It's me, the guy who stans for the massive agribusiness corporation because hippies hate it. Vote for my party.

I just support scientific progress whether it's the right or the left demonizing it.

Neurolimal posted:

patents stymie innovation, halt competition, and in the case of gene patents harms crop diversity.

We've had some of the biggest advances in agricultural science in human history under a patent system, and agriculture to feed billions of people is always going to be about monoculture crops.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

UHD posted:

vote yea or nea

yes unless their opponent is better, which in a hypothetical US election is almost certainly not the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

software and all things derived from it are all derivative of math, and should not be patentable since they are strictly reduceable to math

so is music

should musicians not get paid for their work?

• Locked thread