Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It has a 25(!) day battery life in its ultra low power mode.

quote:

For extra battery life, a new watch mode to squeeze out extra juice. Huawei has said that with 10 percent battery remaining, the watch mode can extend the battery for an additional 40 hours. Keep in mind, this basic watch mode is limited to watch display and step count, and the watch screen isn't always on.

Basically you could go hiking for almost a month with it working more or less like a regular watch plus step counter, and can use it as a smart watch with a fall back to dumb watch mode to give you almost 2 days to find an opportunity to charge it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

It has a 25(!) day battery life in its ultra low power mode.
I very much doubt those numbers are accurate. Manufacturers make a lot of bullshit claims about battery life on tech.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tunga posted:

The Classic is almost the perfect watch except no crown and why does it have numbers around the face? I don't use analogue watch faces which makes that look stupid. Will consider it though. My OG 360 now only lasts about four hours on the battery!

Agreed. I do use analog faces but I'd prefer the subtle tick marks the black models of the original HWatch have. Also disappointed at the lack of crown.

That said if I get a new watch the HWatch 2 Classic is now at the top of the list. I've said give me the original one plus NFC and ALS without LTE and I'll be happy, they've done pretty much that. CNET's listing shows it having GPS even in the non-LTE model which I don't really want, but typically in mobile devices GPS comes along with the cellular radio so I'm not sure if that might just be an inaccurate listing.

The old one runs AW2 just fine though (a factory reset has seemed to resolve my battery issues from a few weeks ago), so at this point I still haven't had any reason to think I really need a new one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
No more saphire screen, boo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's the classic

Definitely better

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
No LTE in the US release of the classic is kinda a bummer, and I really dislike the numbers and ticks on the frame, but other than that it's a really nice looking watch that would satisfy my criteria of round with no flat tire, with traditional lugs, and replaceable bands. Might be what I finally replace my G Watch with.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Android Police REALLY don't like the Hwatch 2.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/27/huawei-watch-2-first-impressions-uh/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

No clue if the Hwatch 2 is any good or not, but I haven't been impressed by any article from David Ruddock.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Ars doesn't seem to care for it too much either https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/huawei-watch-2-hands-on-this-feels-like-a-last-gen-smartwatch/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The lack of a crown is not really a downside to me personally. As a lefty i wear my watch on my right hand, so the crown is facing in pretty uncomfortable position to use as a input device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The lack of a crown is not really a downside to me personally. As a lefty i wear my watch on my right hand, so the crown is facing in pretty uncomfortable position to use as a input device.

lol Wait Android Wear doesn't let you put it the other way? Or is it because all the ones worth getting have terrible flat tires that would look even worse on the top?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I guess your choices in 2017 are:

- buy the LG Style and have a reasonable sized watch with bad battery (and is already hobbled out of the gate for Android Pay), or
- buy the Huawei 2 or LG Sport and have something that looks like a tractor tire strapped to your wrist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

lol Wait Android Wear doesn't let you put it the other way? Or is it because all the ones worth getting have terrible flat tires that would look even worse on the top?

Nope, no lefty mode at all.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nope, no lefty mode at all.

Seriously? Wow that's...really dumb. Even the Microsoft Band let you select which wrist you wore it on.

kitten smoothie posted:

- buy the LG Style and have a reasonable sized watch with bad battery (and is already hobbled out of the gate for Android Pay), or
- buy the Huawei 2 or LG Sport and have something that looks like a tractor tire strapped to your wrist.

To be fair the Huawei 2 Classic is't too bad, but the bezel is still pretty thick, yeah. I think it's still gonna be what I go with though. It has all of the features I want (HR Sensor, NFC, GPS) and looks pretty nice IMO. Though the ZenWatch 3 is just really stylish looking... hm. Well, I suppose I have a month to really mull it over, heh. I usually go for function over style with tech but I'm genuinely torn about what watch to get.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kitten smoothie posted:

What about the Wear24? It doesn't look awful but we know almost nothing about it still.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

As far as I can tell the screen on the Huatch 2 Classic is poo poo-tier garbage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

As far as I can tell the screen on the Huatch 2 Classic is poo poo-tier garbage.

Hey, at least it's tiny poo poo-tier garbage. Imagine how terrible it would be if it were large? You'd be able to see all of the flaws!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Thermopyle posted:

How so? Are there clear videos/pictures of it running? Is it poo poo resolution, or what?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I went to store.google.com to see what watches were selling in Canada these days, and... they are not selling any watches at all. Brutal. At first they had the LG Watch/Gear Live/360, then a few of the big next gen ones, then some sporty watches, and now nothing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've never been too worried about the lack of left handed mode (even though I wear my Hwatch on my right wrist) since every single nice watch I own has the crown on that side anyway so I actually find it more uncomfortable to try to use it on the other side.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I went to store.google.com to see what watches were selling in Canada these days, and... they are not selling any watches at all. Brutal. At first they had the LG Watch/Gear Live/360, then a few of the big next gen ones, then some sporty watches, and now nothing.

I was at Best Buy tonight, and I saw they had one of the LG Style watches on display. With no card saying what it was, no price tag, and no indication that it's buyable.

Nobody's even loving trying to sell this platform.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I was at Best Buy tonight, and I saw they had one of the LG Style watches on display. With no card saying what it was, no price tag, and no indication that it's buyable.

Nobody's even loving trying to sell this platform.

I had a similar experience at a Best Buy over the weekend but I'll be honest, with the platform in the shape it's in, it's probably best not to draw attention to it. If I were a realtor I don't think I'd list a house while it's on fire.

vvv e: I loving love that movie.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 28, 2017

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I had a similar experience at a Best Buy over the weekend but I'll be honest, with the platform in the shape it's in, it's probably best not to draw attention to it. If I were a realtor I don't think I'd list a house while it's on fire.

The sellers are really motivated now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A guy on reddit did an album of what are (IMO) the best three watches on the market right now:

http://imgur.com/a/DKy5E

e.g.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

after a few days with the Zenwatch 3, and being very unimpressed with it software-wise, I've decided to throw the one custom rom on there that XDA has, since the latest rumor leaks are that we shouldn't expect AW2.0 until "early 2nd quarter". Well : so far the watch is much smoother. before, it was janky as hell.. super choppy, and a lot of delays when doing simple things. After getting said rom installed, it now performs much better... about as good as my urbane. I was truly spoiled by how silky smooth the otherwise terrible LG Style was.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How's the battery life on that ZW3 ROM? I've never flashed to a watch before, was it straightforward?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

How's the battery life on that ZW3 ROM? I've never flashed to a watch before, was it straightforward?

so far, this is my first day with it, and the battery life seems to be the same as stock.

it's pretty straightforward if you've flashed phones before.

step 1 : enable developer mode, reboot to fastboot, unlock the bootloader
step 2 : boot to TWRP (don't install TWRP, just boot it from the .img)
step 3 : copy the rom over to /sdcard
step 4 : wipe in TWRP, install the rom.
step 5 : boot the watch, run busybox, install busybox.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's not too bad, might try it.

Is there any way to disable the controls that appear on my watch during a phone call? I don't need them and they're annoying since sometimes after a call they stick around on the screen. By controls I mean the microphone, volume, and hang up screens that appear during a call.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not too bad, might try it.

Is there any way to disable the controls that appear on my watch during a phone call? I don't need them and they're annoying since sometimes after a call they stick around on the screen. By controls I mean the microphone, volume, and hang up screens that appear during a call.

ZenWatch Manager on your phone > Tools > FoneHelper > Remote call control.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

ZenWatch Manager on your phone > Tools > FoneHelper > Remote call control.

Oh my god thank you

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just got a Zenwatch 3 on Thursday and I really like it, but I've got a couple questions:

When I swipe over to apps and launch the Zenfit app, it goes to a screen showing my steps/calories for the day. If I set the shortcut button to Zenfit, when I press the button the only option is to start an activity. Is there any way to get the shortcut to just open the app like normal?

In general the Zenfit/Google Fit stuff is just really bizarre. Google Fit will tell me I have no steps. Zenfit will give me a stepcount. A watch face I downloaded will give me a different step count. I don't know if there's some kind of setting in Google Fit/on the watch/on Zenwatch Manager/someplace else I need to change. Any advice?

What does eco mode actually do? It seems to just turn airplane mode on? Is there more to it than that?

Lastly, I've spent hours upon hours looking for watch faces I like and Skymaster is pretty close to perfect for me, but I'd love to see what you goons are rocking.

Thanks for any help!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any apps (maybe like Tasker or something) that lets me trigger preconfigured HTTP requests from my watch? I know I could do this with IF's Maker channel but I don't want to depend on an external service.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

Lastly, I've spent hours upon hours looking for watch faces I like and Skymaster is pretty close to perfect for me, but I'd love to see what you goons are rocking.

I'm using this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.smartwatchface.odyssey.watch.face with the gold colour scheme that I find matches the ZW3 perfectly, I get a lot of compliments about it

(doxxing my own manly wrist here)

The eco mode is just airplane mode, yeah. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for the fitness tracking stuff, I agree it's unnecessarily confusing and weird with the Asus app added in there.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Humerus posted:

I'll pimp my watchfaces here, since someone asked:
Elementary

Inspired by Breaking Bad, tells the time through atomic number.

Rorschach

Inspired by Rorschach inkblots, the inkblots flow and animate. Both analog and digital time, configurable.

I'm not just advertising, these are my favorite faces and I use them all the time.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm using this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.smartwatchface.odyssey.watch.face with the gold colour scheme that I find matches the ZW3 perfectly, I get a lot of compliments about it

(doxxing my own manly wrist here)

The eco mode is just airplane mode, yeah. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for the fitness tracking stuff, I agree it's unnecessarily confusing and weird with the Asus app added in there.

Odyssey is another I've been looking at and with that color scheme it looks a lot better than the default on the store page, for sure. Guess I'll spend the survey bucks after all.

Fitness stuff seems to have sorted itself out, some faces use Google's and some use Asus' but they're within a few hundred of each other (and both pretty wrong probably) so good enough I guess.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I'll pimp my watchfaces here, since someone asked:
Elementary

Inspired by Breaking Bad, tells the time through atomic number.

Rorschach

Inspired by Rorschach inkblots, the inkblots flow and animate. Both analog and digital time, configurable.

I'm not just advertising, these are my favorite faces and I use them all the time.

The elemental isn't for me but the Rorschach one looks pretty cool, I'll check it out.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Rorschach

Why would you make a watchface out of drawings of my parents fighting?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

Odyssey is another I've been looking at and with that color scheme it looks a lot better than the default on the store page, for sure. Guess I'll spend the survey bucks after all.

It looks more gold than shows up in that photo too, I recommend it, it suits the ZW3 perfectly.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm on the cusp of getting a ZW3, but work has said they will probably switch to iOS phones in a few months.

Am I going to be massively disappointed if bought a ZW3 and this happened?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If that happens, you'll be massively disappointed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A lot of the Android Wear 2.0 improvements is iOS support. So wait to purchase until the watch you are interested in gets its Wear 2.0 update I guess?