Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I haven't tried with my new knife but my old chef knife was kinda thick and got stuck a lot. It was just faster using a cleaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Why would you not use a cleaver in everything you can get away with?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What do I do with chiles in adobo? I used them in a recipe once, but I don't remember what for, and for some reason I have another can. I have no idea what I can do with them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

so many things. Risotto, basically any chicken leg/thy dish, chili. I try to throw one in anywhere you'd also use chili powder. You can put the ones you don't use in a ziplock sandwich and freeze.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

guppy posted:

What do I do with chiles in adobo? I used them in a recipe once, but I don't remember what for, and for some reason I have another can. I have no idea what I can do with them.

Anything you want to taste a little spicy and a lot smoky. Chili, roast meat for tacos/nachos/burritos, just be careful because a little can go a long way.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hi guys, are induction stoves worth a drat?

In the past, I've been forced to use electric stoves (both hotplates and glass-ceramic) for some year and a half and it was so miserable I have flashbacks whenever I see a non-gas stove.

Now, the flat I'm considering moving in has one of those terrible glass-ceramic pieces of trash and, regrettably, switching it for a gas stove would be a major hassle for various logistical reasons. One possible solution would be to switch it for an induction stove, which I heard good things about - although from normie friends, so gently caress it, I'm not getting lead on into yet another hotplate nightmare.

So, dear goons, would I regret doing that? Any things I should bear in mind? Any things that would be off-limits that I could pull off with gas?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Well, there's the obvious fact that not all cookware works on induction stoves. It's really good at some things - I use an induction hotplate for stir-frying with a carbon steel wok because it's hotter and more precise than the electric coils - but there are some materials it just isn't going to heat at all. I don't think induction is going to be worth the cost of replacing a glass-top electric.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Buy a single pan induction burner and see if you like it first. I love mine.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Lichtenstein posted:

Hi guys, are induction stoves worth a drat?

In the past, I've been forced to use electric stoves (both hotplates and glass-ceramic) for some year and a half and it was so miserable I have flashbacks whenever I see a non-gas stove.

Now, the flat I'm considering moving in has one of those terrible glass-ceramic pieces of trash and, regrettably, switching it for a gas stove would be a major hassle for various logistical reasons. One possible solution would be to switch it for an induction stove, which I heard good things about - although from normie friends, so gently caress it, I'm not getting lead on into yet another hotplate nightmare.

So, dear goons, would I regret doing that? Any things I should bear in mind? Any things that would be off-limits that I could pull off with gas?
I've used all three quite a lot and honestly I like induction hobs the best. They heat pans up really quickly and you have way more control over the temperature compared to what you get with electric hobs, so they're like gas hobs in that respect except also so much easier to clean. In my mind they are comfortably better than electric hobs which I also really don't like

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why would you use a cleaver and mallet on butternut squash instead of just cutting it with a normal knife?

Not butternut, in my case. Acorn and Buttercup, which have fairly thick and tough dark green rinds and very firm flesh when raw. I can get through an acorn squash with just my chef's knife (I don't have a cleaver, yet) and some elbow grease but I'm not actually good at this kind of thing and the cut tends to go crooked, or I end up banging the squash on the cutting board with the knife stuck halfway through, leading to spatters and mess and other silliness. It's also a pain to cut through the hard base of the stem. A buttercup squash is bigger and tougher, and the mallet gives me some cutting power far away from the handle - leverage is a problem I run into when cutting big, tough things like squash.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Am I going to gently caress up my knife if I tap the back with a mallet when it gets stuck in a squash?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ExecuDork posted:

Not butternut, in my case. Acorn and Buttercup, which have fairly thick and tough dark green rinds and very firm flesh when raw. I can get through an acorn squash with just my chef's knife (I don't have a cleaver, yet) and some elbow grease but I'm not actually good at this kind of thing and the cut tends to go crooked, or I end up banging the squash on the cutting board with the knife stuck halfway through, leading to spatters and mess and other silliness. It's also a pain to cut through the hard base of the stem. A buttercup squash is bigger and tougher, and the mallet gives me some cutting power far away from the handle - leverage is a problem I run into when cutting big, tough things like squash.

I cut Acorn squashes with my chef's knife too, stem and all, I need to put my hand on the spine of the knife to get through the stem but it's pretty easy, I'm not all that strong either so I find it a little confusing when people talk about these things like they are very difficult to cut.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lol if you don't use a miter saw to cut through squash, just lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol if you don't just bite off hunks and use your gizzard full of rocks to grind it into puree to swallow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

lol if you don't use a miter saw to cut through squash, just lol

SAWZALL

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Found this thing in a kitchen drawer in my parent's house. No one knows what it is. It's the length of my hand and when you squeeze it the blade part slides through a slot in the opposite surface.

Facts:
- the blade part isn't sharp at all, completely blunt
- it was at the back/bottom of a food gadgets drawer, not with random household tools or anything
- I didn't take this photo, I found it through an image search, it was posted somewhere else by someone ALSO trying to figure out wtf it is

I can post other photos if needed

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Scudworth posted:

Found this thing in a kitchen drawer in my parent's house. No one knows what it is. It's the length of my hand and when you squeeze it the blade part slides through a slot in the opposite surface.

Facts:
- it was at the back/bottom of a food gadgets drawer, not with random household tools or anything
- I didn't take this photo, I found it through an image search, it was posted somewhere else by someone ALSO trying to figure out wtf it is

Could it be a removable handle from a saucepan/colander or something?

(also did you ask Mr Butlertron?)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

DumbparameciuM posted:

Could it be a removable handle from a saucepan/colander or something?

(also did you ask Mr Butlertron?)

It's too light and thin to be a handle I think, I'm pretty sure it's aluminum.

Butlertron is very busy washing his collection of sweater vests. :mad:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Scudworth posted:

Facts:

That's the beauty of it -- it doesn't do anything!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I need a veggie/side dish that goes with a Slow Cooker Roast and cheesy hash brown potatoes. Green bean casserole is my first thought but kinda wanted to do something different. Also I need to be able to make this ahead and then take with my later.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Roasted Brussels with an acidic dressing?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Actually I think I know what I am making now. I remember seeing some good looking Chinese Long Beans at the store the other day. Probably going to make those with a little butter, bacon & garlic. Maybe throw in some ginger too.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm looking for ideas of what to do for a white sauce for pizza. Usually I'll just put down some olive oil, garlic, parmesan, that sort of thing, but I'm looking for something a little more substantial. Anyone know the pizza shop secret?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

big loving tub of ranch or instant alfredo powder?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like the lighter/simpler white pizzas, but most pizza shops put down a truckload of ricotta, if that's your goal.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

you ate my cat posted:

I'm looking for ideas of what to do for a white sauce for pizza. Usually I'll just put down some olive oil, garlic, parmesan, that sort of thing, but I'm looking for something a little more substantial. Anyone know the pizza shop secret?

I use this every once in a while.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/onion-crema-from-ragazzas-pizza-bianca-recipe.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I like to brown some ground beef to put in mac and cheese and I usually put barbecue sauce on it along with some onions and garlic, but the flavor is a little strong and acidic for the cheese. What would be a better way to season it? I'm thinking about ketchup instead of barbecue sauce since I like it on mac and cheese anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would not use sauce but only use dry seasoning. Cajun works well.

Alernatively add some chopped onion, garlic and when browned a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Way better than ketchup.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

spankmeister posted:

I would not use sauce but only use dry seasoning. Cajun works well.

Alernatively add some chopped onion, garlic and when browned a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Way better than ketchup.

That sounds good, thanks.

Followup question: would it work to add a little bit of molasses?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There are a ton of food blogs out there. Which ones are your favorite? And which ones do you actually make recipes from?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I like to brown some ground beef to put in mac and cheese and I usually put barbecue sauce on it along with some onions and garlic, but the flavor is a little strong and acidic for the cheese. What would be a better way to season it? I'm thinking about ketchup instead of barbecue sauce since I like it on mac and cheese anyway.

I like to use Worcestershire sauce every now and then, sparingly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CaptainScraps posted:

There are a ton of food blogs out there. Which ones are your favorite? And which ones do you actually make recipes from?

Serious Eats is good, mainly for Kenji and sometimes for Daniel Gritzer, even though Kenji made fun of my homemade baking steel one time

I am a big fan of the cooking issues radio show which you can get on iTunes podcast. They don't have a lot of recipes but they help out people who call or email in. With cooking problems or questions, and teach you a lot of the science behind cooking, much more technical than other "science" cooking shows.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Going to do some tempura tomorrow - few questions. Thinking broccoli, sweet potato, maybe some spring onion, some shrimp and maybe some other protein (chicken?). Any other suggestions for what to fry up? I'm probably not going to find lotus root or anything too exotic in my neck of the woods, but am open to suggestions. Maybe some herbs...

For the sweet potato, how thick of slices should I be looking at? Paper thin, or maybe with a little substance to them? Like 1/4 inch maybe?

If I do shrimp, is that going to infuse the oil with shrimp flavor and if so could I still use the oil after straining to do fries or will it be overpowering?

And finally deep fry or shallow fry? If I can get away with not filling up my dutch oven with oil (and potentially having to toss it due to shrimp-ness) I'd be happy.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

CzarChasm posted:

Going to do some tempura tomorrow - few questions. Thinking broccoli, sweet potato, maybe some spring onion, some shrimp and maybe some other protein (chicken?). Any other suggestions for what to fry up? I'm probably not going to find lotus root or anything too exotic in my neck of the woods, but am open to suggestions. Maybe some herbs...

For the sweet potato, how thick of slices should I be looking at? Paper thin, or maybe with a little substance to them? Like 1/4 inch maybe?

If I do shrimp, is that going to infuse the oil with shrimp flavor and if so could I still use the oil after straining to do fries or will it be overpowering?

And finally deep fry or shallow fry? If I can get away with not filling up my dutch oven with oil (and potentially having to toss it due to shrimp-ness) I'd be happy.

Spinach and Radish are also great for Tempura

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

CaptainScraps posted:

99% of the time when I want to research a recipe, I start with Serious Eats and Food Wishes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at a recipe that calls for sun-dried tomato oil. Is that a thing you can buy from the store, or would I need to steep some tomatoes in olive oil?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at a recipe that calls for sun-dried tomato oil. Is that a thing you can buy from the store, or would I need to steep some tomatoes in olive oil?

If you buy a jar of Sun-Dried Tomatoes, they should be preserved in oil with herbs and things. I'd imagine that that's the stuff it's referring to.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Scudworth posted:

Facts:

If you're okay with waiting a few months for an answer try sending a picture of it to Cook's Illustrated. They answer questions about "wtf is this kitchen thing" in the letters section all the time. Wessssley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

If you buy a jar of Sun-Dried Tomatoes, they should be preserved in oil with herbs and things. I'd imagine that that's the stuff it's referring to.

That makes sense, thanks. I've never bought sun-dried tomatoes before.

Related to a different dish, what does it mean when the cream on top of a can of coconut milk is more wax than cream? Like you would cut it rather than scoop it. It smelled fine, looked fine, and tasted fine.