Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Y'all gotta watch the Triffids movie, it's perfectly stodgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Did anyone watch The Great Wall with Damon? Does it actually just replace Mongolians with lizard monsters or is there something else to it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really need to read that one, Village of the Damned is loving awesome. And like with Triffids, the killer kid plot is less interesting than the mystery pregnancy plot.

I may only feel that way about Triffids because it's the specific kind of book Ballard's 50's sci-fi novels are a takeoff of.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

Oh, dope, I got Denial and Hacksaw Ridge from Netflix.

Denial is a good story but not a very good film. I found Weisz's accent, although accurate, somehow unconvincing - as though she was putting so much effort into getting the accent right that she couldn't act properly at the same time. The other actors are very good though. It still feels like a high-end TV film.

As I've said, the first 3rd of Hacksaw Ridge I found pretty lame but it keeps getting better as it goes on; the last act is astounding.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I may only feel that way about Triffids because it's the specific kind of book Ballard's 50's sci-fi novels are a takeoff of.

I mean you're not at all wrong about it being very stuffy, very British sci-fi, although I'm given to understand that Wyndham was really a pioneer of that style. It reminds me of like, The Abominable Snowman by Nigel Kneale & Val Guest.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MacheteZombie posted:

Did anyone watch The Great Wall with Damon? Does it actually just replace Mongolians with lizard monsters or is there something else to it?

I saw it a few weeks ago and I've pretty much forgotten about 90% of it. It's just weird lizard monsters attacking the city. There's a really good action sequence early in the film. It has good choreography and use of colors, but aside from that there's nothing really memorable. I'm not sure if the monsters were meant to represent Mongolians or not. They're definitely outside forces who will take over the world unless they can be stopped.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This poster is heckin'.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I know some people here go to preview screenings, any advice on how early to show up? It usually doesn't seem worth the hassle but if I'm going to see King Kong beat up dinos it may as well be for free and on a 5,160 square-foot screen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a thruline in the film. How offensively are the bone in the nose Sumatrans portrayed compared to the way the guy who arrogantly steals from them is treated?

Fair enough, but on a gut level it's still harder for me to sit through than all the goop

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Early early early early. If you didn't buy a ticket or have an assigned seat you many not even get in.

Free early moving screenings are a pain in the goddamn rear end. I'm very happy Alamo charges you on them, and gives you a seat. The hassle goes right out the window.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Early early early early. If you didn't buy a ticket or have an assigned seat you many not even get in.

Free early moving screenings are a pain in the goddamn rear end. I'm very happy Alamo charges you on them, and gives you a seat. The hassle goes right out the window.

Reserved seating loving rules. So glad theaters adopted it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Like…an hour? Or should I just not bother

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Fair enough, but on a gut level it's still harder for me to sit through than all the goop

For me it's the same as the way Paquita is treated by various characters throughout the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

morestuff posted:

Hour and a half id say. Like I said there's a chance you may not get in to this thing because they always give out more than they have.

I'd say go. It's cool to see movies early.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Going into Manchester by the Sea completely blind.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

This is my favourite song thank you for reminding me to listen to it today

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

morestuff posted:

Depends on the movie. I got to Nerve as it was about to start and there was plenty of seating. I'm going to try to get to King Kong at least an hour in advance.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GonSmithe posted:

Teaser for Fincher's new Netflix series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3G1lWbnUU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

You'll laugh and laugh! Enjoy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Someone liked Hannibal the series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

Someone liked Hannibal the series.

I am completely down with Fincher watching Fuller and going "Hey, I can do that!"

Although I'd be even more thrilled with Fincher directing Not-Pushing Daisies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Snak posted:

Like blindfolded?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Like blindfolded?

Eyeballs sliced open with a razorblade at the door.

therattle posted:

You'll laugh and laugh! Enjoy.

Honestly Manchester was hilarious, or at least, wayyy funnier than I expected going in

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Like blindfolded?

The Triffids strike again!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

well, Bong Joon-Ho's new movie is definitely gonna make me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wBI7Mh6H4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm going to Kong an hour early, and sit at the bar until 2 minutes till show time.

Assigned seating mutha fuckas!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

well, Bong Joon-Ho's new movie is definitely gonna make me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wBI7Mh6H4

I fuckin love Tilda

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'm going to Kong an hour early, and sit at the bar until 2 minutes till show time.

I did this for Shin Godzilla. Theatres are cool now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I did this for Shin Godzilla. Theatres are cool now.

It's a mixed blessing. The only screening of Get Out I could catch last Friday was in one of Regal's semi-scammy RPX theaters. Assigned spots don't matter as much when it's 4:20 in the afternoon and you're paying $20 for the privilege of your own personal seat in a theater with two other dudes

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I remember initially being really put out by the notion of assigned seating like that. Now, it feels practically barbaric to have to get to a showing early just to find a reasonable seat, on the rare case I go to a standard theater.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 1, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know, maybe this is because I'm sober and lame, but even during my drinking days, I couldn't imagine being tipsy or more when paying to see a movie. I feel like I'd miss half the experience.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Return of the Living Dead is the only reason that Green Room isn't the best punk rock non-documentary movie of all time.

Repo Man and Jubilee, baby

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Repo Man's okay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

I don't know, maybe this is because I'm sober and lame, but even during my drinking days, I couldn't imagine being tipsy or more when paying to see a movie. I feel like I'd miss half the experience.

It's fun. And like with Rogue One where I was kind of too high to really see it, I came away with the notion that it was worth seeing again, and I did the next night.

I like seeing movies multiple times anyway. But I rarely feel like I missed anything, even while really drunk. (Which I'm not going to do there anyway. Just a few beers before the show.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dickkeye watch Repo Man and/or/(but really and) Return of the Living Dead:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Eat my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJXT5lc1Bg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

D-d-d-d-d-d-ouble post.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Repo Man's okay.

Oh yeah well what about Jubilee?? I figured you were leaving off Repo Man on purpose

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Have not seen Jubilee admittedly, or anything else by Derek Jarman. I do really wanna see Blue.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I know I'm way late for discussion of Lasagna Cat, but holy poo poo I can't stop laughing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v05PWyIaZ0

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
LOGAN was fantastic. It's almost not fair to refer to it as a superhero movie. It feels more like THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I did NOT know that White Mischief was based on a book. Great movie, great title, and now I'm hoping it's a good book too.

• Locked thread