Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

My small large son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

unironically praying for economic collapse and strife

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

unironically praying for economic collapse and strife

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

In a sea of black and dark blue, white is probably the most attention-grabbing color you could use.

A really bright yellow would work, too, but most people probably don't have a lot of yellow clothes.

Trump would notice the yellow. :smugdon:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
White racist terrorists are at it again:-

https://twitter.com/themuslimguy/status/837007844767563777

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fullhouse posted:

it's important in that it is the top of our top-down economic model and while laborers will never see returns from rising stock prices unless they're very invested, they will definitely be the first ones that get hosed over if those prices suddenly collapse

privatized profits and socialized losses

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/status/837006666046533632

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what else do you expect from cucknadians

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i like this

didnt really bother to read past the headline yet but its good enough for me

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It's this just if le pen wins or is this something new?

le pen is big on it and afaik fillon was not completely opposed to the idea but apparently macron is in the overall lead and i think he is opposed to the idea

of course because we live in the worst timeline le pen will win so :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

i think what is meant is that unless you have a meaningful 401k that you probably aren't affected as much and it's long term wealth where you get hurt.

edit: yeah i guess housing is bad too but 401k is where a lotta people got destroyed in 2008

Every local school district and government is tied into the stock market

Maybe not every but most

Also if you are young and poor 401ks still effect you cause people don't retire if they go bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It's this just if le pen wins or is this something new?

yeah but one of her opponents is mired in scandal

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Counterpoint: lol at paying $2000 for a fuckin dog

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Agrajag posted:

i like this

didnt really bother to read past the headline yet but its good enough for me

quote:

There is apparently less capacity for living and learning in political journalism than there is in elementary school; less object permanence than in nursery school.

[. . . ]

All he did was demonstrate once again that his supposed antagonists in the political media have short memories, which makes them easy marks for a tired con.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2000 for a loving dog

Hmmm

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

Every local school district and government is tied into the stock market

Maybe not every but most

Also if you are young and poor 401ks still effect you cause people don't retire if they go bad

i don't really know how true it is but i had THE VERY FAKE npr on at one point a good while back and iirc they talked about the 401k creator saying how it's basically useless for most people

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/738449664752553984

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/640277396785119232

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/581096446646194177

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Relin posted:

i see the dow keeps reaching higher and higher. i thought trumps buffoonery would have a negative effect...

the stock market is political. whenever a liberal worried that trump's policies will destroy the economy pulls out, a conservative convinced that trump's policies will lead to unprecedented wealth and luxury goes all in

due to the way our interest rates are set up right now the stock aggregates like the dow jones will only go up up up, and that'll continue until someone tries to collect money on an investment and finds out that it isn't actually there, and in fact never existed in the first place. then the bubble pops, 90% of the immaterial wealth of the united states vanishes overnight, and we form into wasteland tribes and fight over gasoline stockpiles

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Corny posted:

why did the NYT cover a high school party?? did they have nothing better to do in the lead up to the iraq war??? (the answer is no, they were too busy shilling for karl rove/dick cheney/neocons in general)

*picks up phone* hello, city style desk? i need you to stop another war

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
In your heart you always knew Van Jones was a bitch.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
The American empire ending for no reason is exactly the kind of ending we deserve

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Business Gorillas posted:

Counterpoint: lol at paying $2000 for a fuckin dog

The phrase "high-end pets" makes me very angry. Fuckin' dog breeders. :rant:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

i don't really know how true it is but i had THE VERY FAKE npr on at one point a good while back and iirc they talked about the 401k creator saying how it's basically useless for most people

yeah, 401k's are useless. it's better to, if you can, store money until you can buy something like land.

edit: useless for the general public, given that they are so connected to the volatility of the market. i know quite a few olds that got turbofucked in 2008/2009 because they were 63 and just about ready to retire. lol, no, get back to work.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

there a reason police in montreal are wearing maga hats?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
old white people would kill their own children if they were told it would secure their retirement.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

i think what is meant is that unless you have a meaningful 401k that you probably aren't affected as much and it's long term wealth where you get hurt.

edit: yeah i guess housing is bad too but 401k is where a lotta people got destroyed in 2008

I'm a federal employee on TSP. I'm up $3500 so far this year alone. Hopefully there are enough warning signs to go conservative before poo poo crashes and burns so I can keep most of it and then gain big reallocating when the market is low again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Housing bubble was identified and talked about as early as 2003 iirc. Certainly 2005

Credit default swaps were kind of unknown I guess

the next thing that will cause a crash will be student loans

that's been talked about for the last several years already

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao i bet this was the lease to own finance option for the dog and lol that even exists

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably because define contribution is a garbage bill poo poo fantasy plan

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Scent of Worf posted:

The American empire ending for no reason is exactly the kind of ending we deserve

Nothing happens for a reason, get this notion of causality out of your head

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, rescue a loving pet you idiots.

Well hell, Mr. President actually said something about jobs and infrastructure last night. I liked this headline of a story in Vox: "Trump is performing the role of president, not doing the job". That's how I feel; his speech doesn't really match what he's done up to this point. But hey, things are looking up; looks like it'll be Trump vs. Oprah in 2020.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gringostar posted:

that strikes me more as a complementary crash. Like it might trundle along, but the moment another 2008 happens it will follow it clear to the abyss

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

euphronius posted:

2000 for a loving dog

Hmmm

labradoodles are cute and hypo-allergenic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gringostar posted:

Maybe but it's harder to fake high valuations of student loans like they did for mortgages

Plus now with IBR and associated programs there is a built in pressure release

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

radical meme posted:

Jesus, rescue a loving pet you idiots.

Well hell, Mr. President actually said something about jobs and infrastructure last night. I liked this headline of a story in Vox: "Trump is performing the role of president, not doing the job". That's how I feel; his speech doesn't really match what he's done up to this point. But hey, things are looking up; looks like it'll be Trump vs. Oprah in 2020.

so you are telling me that Trump can rightfully declare victory today

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

"I can't believe it! I'm getting swindled!" - local man who wanted to pay four figures for inbred, sickly animal

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

how much outstanding student loan debt is there? 2 trillion?

lol

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/837002360706777092

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/837012302293581824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gringostar posted: