Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That's still not great. And no one even noticed the US existed until WWII. OK some of that was euros being assholes, but it's not an empire if no one acknowledges it.

No one noticed the US in the 1860's enough to send aid or foreign dignitaries to overwatch/influence what was going on. No one apparently noticed the US through the next 80 years or so after including the US being a popular place for people to go for a new life, or becoming a military power house, or beg to enter a great war, or to be globally effected by a US stock market crash, no, the US was nothing till WWII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm mean the default rate for student loans is known and there HAS NEVER been any control on who gets loans for how much

It's been a free for all since day one

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Admiral Ray posted:

how much outstanding student loan debt is there? 2 trillion?

lol

good thing there's lots of great jobs out there for the people with all that debt

:laffo:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tacodaemon posted:

yeah also it doubled as one of those "ideas for entertaining" articles the nyt has every week where they'll tell you how to, like, have a funky 50s beatnik themed clambake for 100 guests at your beach house in the hamptons without hiring more than one caterer

I found an old article on my grandma's attic about hosting a hobo party that prominently featured "Sambo" multiple times.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

I'm a federal employee on TSP. I'm up $3500 so far this year alone. Hopefully there are enough warning signs to go conservative before poo poo crashes and burns so I can keep most of it and then gain big reallocating when the market is low again.

You can't time the market unless you have insider information.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Agrajag posted:

im on the SV start up popping wagon

Imo student loans are gonna win by a nose because Devos is definitely gonna roid up that horse

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Handed Missus posted:

so you are telling me that Trump can rightfully declare victory today

Yeah, he gets props for acting presidential. But it's only Wednesday.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have to be actually smart enough and disciplined enough to stay in school to get to the big 300k loan packages

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"your credit isn't great but, youve been approved for something we call our leash to own program!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

No one noticed the US in the 1860's enough to send aid or foreign dignitaries to overwatch/influence what was going on. No one apparently noticed the US through the next 80 years or so after including the US being a popular place for people to go for a new life, or becoming a military power house, or beg to enter a great war, or to be globally effected by a US stock market crash, no, the US was nothing till WWII

not counting all those military observers. people were watching, it's just that no one was going to do anything since no government was going to support a slave state over someonethey already trade with.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

:yeah:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahah that's garbage

USA was already a power by the 1890s

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Krugman is great, but I still don't want to pronounce it kroog-man.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the one krug man

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Back in high school when I was a grocery store stock clerk I'd get employee of the month for showing up on time and not being stoned. I'm glad the president of the US is held to the same standard.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Do not post Van Jones again. That is all.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Epic High Five posted:

Do we have a list of the Dems that clapped yet

Bernie :negative:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/kalpenn/status/837013733230710784

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:smith:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

never have heroes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/836822412150861824

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah, 401k's are useless. it's better to, if you can, store money until you can buy something like land.

edit: useless for the general public, given that they are so connected to the volatility of the market. i know quite a few olds that got turbofucked in 2008/2009 because they were 63 and just about ready to retire. lol, no, get back to work.

Owning land wouldn't have helped them that much in 2008/2009 either.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Feminasty Slut posted:

Back in high school when I was a grocery store stock clerk I'd get employee of the month for showing up on time and not being stoned. I'm glad the president of the US is held to the same standard.

what was your party theme that attracted an nyt reporter and photographer

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Hahah that's garbage

USA was already a power by the 1890s

pretty much. The Spanosh Americanwar just made it so that tr other powers had actually acknowledge that. Someone in the military history thread posted a Prussian naval plan for war against the US and it was pretty much just "GERMAN ARMS CHRUSH PUNY AMERICAN NAVY".

After the war the tone of those changed dramatically I imagine.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

a couple days ago i was taking my wife to work and somehow the whole thing about mass unemployment due to automation came up, and i gave my opinion that basically the BRING BACK COAL JOBS and articles about people dreaming of working in coal mines is a real problem that is a massive societal issue which needs fixing. people are gonna have to accept that like 80% of americans aren't gonna work and they're gonna have to take their 10k in UBI and free social programs and shut up about not being able to afford fancy poo poo because there's no real path to suddenly creating millions upon millions of jobs right now. marijuana is apparently a big industry growth wise but you aren't gonna make like 100 million pot grower jobs and we don't have any other really new economies like space mining or whatever star trek poo poo could exist in a thousand years.

the really smart people who program the robots or whatever are gonna get paid and you're gonna see the same 99%/1% scenario except now it's more like 80% of the us is really poor and the other 20% range from pretty well off to still gently caress off rich as they already are. she was horrified at the idea of a wall-e type world where no one's gonna work and the whole time i'm thinking like lmao if u havent seen this coming for a while now.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cumshitter posted:

"your credit isn't great but, youve been approved for something we call our leash to own program!"

sounds p hot, details???

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i would like another mcchicken sandwich and a medium fry cause im feeling the fries rn. v salty.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

basically we're doomed lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

U can get dogs for free yo

Serf
May 5, 2011

the us wasn't a power until we launched the great white fleet to spread the good word far and wide

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Owning land wouldn't have helped them that much in 2008/2009 either.

true.

buying land, however.

still, owning land, to me, is nice (especially if it has septic and a well) because it means that i can at least survive after getting evicted from my overpriced van down by the river.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/836929781950267393

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

U can get dogs for free yo

$50 for all vaccinations and neutered/spayed and dewormed at the animal rescue i grew up near.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

true.

buying land, however.

still, owning land, to me, is nice (especially if it has septic and a well) because it means that i can at least survive after getting evicted from my overpriced van down by the river.

Until it's sold at a tax auction

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/you-cretins-are-going-to-get-thousands-of-people-killed-1792862225

deadspin owns

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Feminasty Slut posted:

In your heart you always knew Van Jones was a bitch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

$50 for all vaccinations and neutered/spayed and dewormed at the animal rescue i grew up near.

Skip the middleman: have worms as pets

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Admiral Ray posted:

true.

buying land, however.

Well, there is that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

triple sulk posted:

a couple days ago i was taking my wife to work and somehow the whole thing about mass unemployment due to automation came up, and i gave my opinion that basically the BRING BACK COAL JOBS and articles about people dreaming of working in coal mines is a real problem that is a massive societal issue which needs fixing. people are gonna have to accept that like 80% of americans aren't gonna work and they're gonna have to take their 10k in UBI and free social programs and shut up about not being able to afford fancy poo poo because there's no real path to suddenly creating millions upon millions of jobs right now. marijuana is apparently a big industry growth wise but you aren't gonna make like 100 million pot grower jobs and we don't have any other really new economies like space mining or whatever star trek poo poo could exist in a thousand years.

the really smart people who program the robots or whatever are gonna get paid and you're gonna see the same 99%/1% scenario except now it's more like 80% of the us is really poor and the other 20% range from pretty well off to still gently caress off rich as they already are. she was horrified at the idea of a wall-e type world where no one's gonna work and the whole time i'm thinking like lmao if u havent seen this coming for a while now.

way to get your wifes day at work off to a great start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Burt Sexual posted:

way to get your wifes day at work off to a great start!

thats what she said

• Locked thread