Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

El Grillo posted:

I don't mind the platform chat, seems absurd to keep it out especially given this thread is pretty quiet most of the time. If things get out of hand Knifegrab will just be banned again (because it is his destiny) and we'll all go back to business as usual.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens - for one thing, they've said since the beginning they do want it to be a platform for hardware other than theirs. Their excuse for keeping Vive out has been something to do with them wanting Vive to go straight off the Oculus SDK instead of through SteamVR/OpenVR first or whatever (I think. May be misremembering).
But the other side of it is that I do think there are differing viewpoints high up in Oculus about this. Jason Rubin (head of content development or something) has been getting more and more prominent as a public face of Oculus, and he seems to feel the core of his job is 'get Oculus the best content and get everyone on the platform'. Conversely, I think the hardware guys - and consequently the top management of the company - really want to have their hardware and (perhaps more importantly) the SDK platform being put above all else. If you've listened to Nate Mitchell talk about these issues it's a pretty different attitude to what you get out of Rubin.
The fact that they unblocked ReVive and they have at least a couple people working on a mic fix for it shows that the pro-open platform people have at least some sway in the company I think. But, while I don't agree with you that it's 'kidding yourself' to think that Oculus isn't going full walled-garden at some point, ...they may do so. In reality however the determining question will probably come down to 'can top-grade VR hardware ever be profitable?' If it can, and Oculus thinks they can be the next Apple or whatever, then at the point it does then they may want to make their platform hardware-exclusive so they can use it as a tool to get people to buy their hardware. But if this level of VR hardware never becomes particularly profitable (same as top-end games consoles) then there is no reason to make their platform hardware-exclusive, as the only real source of profit for them will be their platform/store.

Who the gently caress knows at this point. Their approach to their overall strategy (make VR the Next Big Thing) has been pretty confused from the beginning.

Yeah I'd agree with all of this. It will be interesting to see which way it goes. I would LOVE for Oculus to become an agnostic platform. Digital distribution competition is good and benefits all users. Plus Home is pretty neat. It will really really bum me out if they go the anti-consumer greed route.

AndrewP posted:

Per The Verge, Rift and Touch have each been dropped $100 to make a complete system $598.

I keep hearing the Vive is seriously outpacing the Rift in sales, but most of that is estimations based on usage since we don't have actual numbers as far as I'm aware. I wonder if this is in response to that. They are almost certainly taking a serious loss now right?

This fuggin owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

You don't really need a PCIe card. I just have two on USB 3.0 and one on 2.0, works just fine.

But here's what Oculus recommends if you just need the extra USB ports.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030309&p_id=9470&seq=1&format=2
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

so $38 total

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/

Then tack on a $60 sensor so an extra $100 ontop of the now $600.

Thanks, looks like adding 6ft to the headset is another $10, so pretty competitive on the price now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Rec Room is one hell of a game. Can't wait for that. Now the question is will the social awkward people be able to use it and either gain eye contact confidence, or cower away because it is too intense, even in VR?

Also I really look forward to VR Poker in RecRoom for some reason.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Despite my distaste for Facebook as a company, I have to admit I'd struggle to recommend people get a Vive with the current pricing. HTC need to cut prices to stay competitive.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

Rec Room is one hell of a game. Can't wait for that. Now the question is will the social awkward people be able to use it and either gain eye contact confidence, or cower away because it is too intense, even in VR?

Also I really look forward to VR Poker in RecRoom for some reason.

I want eye tracking for foveated rendering but i'm legit going to ask for an option to disable turning it into in-game eye movement because I like how inhuman my VR presence is

SwissCM posted:

Despite my distaste for Facebook as a company, I have to admit I'd struggle to recommend people get a Vive with the current pricing. HTC need to cut prices to stay competitive.

even with the new pricing, if you have the room in your house buying a Vive over a rift is a no brainer

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

mad.radhu posted:

even with the new pricing, if you have the room in your house buying a Vive over a rift is a no brainer

I have to agree with Swiss, for the most part. I'm a Vive owner and love mine, but if someone asked for a recommendation for purchasing a headset today I'd probably suggest the Rift. The exception would be if they had plenty of money and a huge space (like, 15'+), and even then I'd probably be kind of split.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I still think if money isn't a factor (and for something this expensive if $200 makes or breaks you you should pass) then you should be trying both out before you make a decision. There are a lot of subtle differences and you don't know which ones are make or break until you try it. A Rift might not even fit on your head!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

For someone more casual I'd recommend they get a Rift and just do the front facing set up. That's gonna be more than enough for most people, it's easy to set up and 200 bucks cheaper. And they can always spend 60 bucks for another sensor for room scale if they wanna.

I demo'd my Rift to a friend and while he loved it, he didnt feel inclined to do a lot of spinning and walking around the room.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 1, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So not only does Robo Recall support mods, they are also releasing the full source code of the game. I hope some neat stuff comes out of that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

AndrewP posted:

For someone more casual I'd recommend they get a Rift and just do the front facing set up. That's gonna be more than enough for most people, it's easy to set up and 200 bucks cheaper. And they can always spend 60 bucks for another sensor for room scale if they wanna.

I demo'd my Rift to a friend and while he loved it, he didnt feel inclined to do a lot of spinning and walking around the room.

Its pretty crazy seeing the two types of people. When I put the vive on someone they either stand perfectly still and just kind of paw around at the air. Other people go hog wild with the space. I really hope wireless encourages the latter.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Bad rear end I recently got a fancy Roomba which pushed me over the $1500 in a year so that gave me elite status and changed the return policy at Best Buy from 15 days to 30 days. Just got my price match.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Nalin posted:

So not only does Robo Recall support mods, they are also releasing the full source code of the game. I hope some neat stuff comes out of that.

That's awesome. I can't wait to try it.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So, having just gotten a Pixel XL, is there any point to getting a Daydream headset? It looks like all the fun stuff is on the Vive, and that's a cost I can't manage. :(

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TwystNeko posted:

So, having just gotten a Pixel XL, is there any point to getting a Daydream headset? It looks like all the fun stuff is on the Vive, and that's a cost I can't manage. :(

It's got Netflix on it and Netflix is good as hell on GearVR (as is watching any TV shows or movies if you're on your own) so I'd say it's probably worth the $80 bucks if you already have a compatible phone.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Nice. I just got an email because I activated my Oculus in the past 30 days I got $50 Oculus home credit. Combine that with my price match and I'm a happy boy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If nothing else, the LG headset looks loving sick. And I thought the Vive was cyberpunk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is the fov on the LG?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

holy crap in a hat

go loving play roborecall

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What is the fov on the LG?
LG says 110, the guy from UploadVR says its not meaningfully different from Vive or Rift. I'm curious what the optics are like though

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Deviant posted:

holy crap in a hat

go loving play roborecall

Is it Oculus exclusive? Does it work wtih revive?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's free for Touch owners and 30 bucks without so i have to imagine it works with Revive? Like, how else you gonna play it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AndrewP posted:

It's free for Touch owners and 30 bucks without so i have to imagine it works with Revive? Like, how else you gonna play it?

Really weird that they did that. They acknowledge that ReVive exists by doing so and are like "Yeah, Vive users can buy it, Touch users get it free" but haven't put it on Steam or given native Vive support. Theoretically every possible user will have it for free, but they still sell it for money anyway, but they've accepted a weirdly pragmatic option and I kinda appreciate it and kinda dislike it? Really weird.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'd have to confirm but at this point if you want Dead and Buried (40 bucks), Medium (30), Quill (30), and RoboRecall (30) you might be able to buy the Touch controllers for 100 and then just not use them, lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Its pretty crazy seeing the two types of people. When I put the vive on someone they either stand perfectly still and just kind of paw around at the air. Other people go hog wild with the space. I really hope wireless encourages the latter.

Yep this is pretty much my exact experience. Have any sort of VR Party / Demo Day, and you either get people that are able to jump right in and understand VR like it's been around forever, or you get the ones that you put it on and the freeze up even though they've been watching people moving all around for the past hour in the same game.

Games like Audioshield seem to break that up a little bit once they sort of get the idea, but it still takes them much longer to figure out how to use their real legs in VR.

This may be where the Oculus sort of has the edge with the sit down crowd. Plopping them in a chair and throwing up Henry, Elite, etc gets them into VR and they enjoy looking around and experiencing the Presence before they start getting their Hands and rest of their body into the mix.

Either way, it's still amusing to me that my non gamer GF is so much better at VR then a few of my best friends.. I need new friends. She's first below my best score in SPT and above everyone else lol.

Lemming posted:

I'd have to confirm but at this point if you want Dead and Buried (40 bucks), Medium (30), Quill (30), and RoboRecall (30) you might be able to buy the Touch controllers for 100 and then just not use them, lol

The Unspoken too was literally worth the price of admission for Touch. Does anyone play Dead and Buried though? jumped into take a look and outside of the shooting range I couldn't get a full game going. :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Or you know, sell them right back on eBay and probably get the full amount back and have those all for free.

Edit: The LG resolution sounds nice, and if by some miracle it is RGB stripe, it would be spectacular.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: The LG resolution sounds nice, and if by some miracle it is RGB stripe, it would be spectacular.
Its hard to say, as far as I know all the LG phones use RGB IPS screens so they don't have much of a track record with OLED devices of that size. Some of their lower end TVs have a weird subpixel layout but all of their higher end OLED sets are RGBW.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
robo recall is a TON of fun, probably the best shooter I've played so far.

BUT they really an option to make the facing teleport be relative to your facing when you TP rather than the facing of the room. It's super annoying.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Not gonna be able to play Robo Recall for a couple days, reviews are appreciated!

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Unspoken too was literally worth the price of admission for Touch. Does anyone play Dead and Buried though? jumped into take a look and outside of the shooting range I couldn't get a full game going. :(
The Unspoken also got a big patch a day or two ago which added achievements and so on - and loosened the matchmaking ranking requirements a bit. I always pop in for a session or two when I'm VR'ing, usually able to find a game pretty quickly but I'm sure it gets slow at times.
I played a little D&B at the weekend and didn't have too difficult a time finding a full match. It's definitely gotten slower though. I really love the game and think it's pretty badly underrated by many, but it's usually something I'll do at the beginning of a VR for half an hour, and then move onto something a bit slower-paced. Shootouts in Dead and Buried can be pretty intense (and hell on my knees!)

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Really weird that they did that. They acknowledge that ReVive exists by doing so and are like "Yeah, Vive users can buy it, Touch users get it free" but haven't put it on Steam or given native Vive support. Theoretically every possible user will have it for free, but they still sell it for money anyway, but they've accepted a weirdly pragmatic option and I kinda appreciate it and kinda dislike it? Really weird.
They haven't put it on Steam because they're trying to promote Oculus Home/their SDK. They haven't given Home/their platform native Vive support because (they say) they want all HMD's which access their store to use their SDK directly, as opposed to using another SDK and a wrapper.
Actually, this article from Polygon sums up what the technical situation ostensibly is (:siren:trigger warning:siren: though: the author concludes Valve is responsible for the current status quo because it gives them an advantage in the storefront competition): http://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2016/12/9/13892404/oculus-rift-htc-vive-facebook-open-software-compatibility

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 2, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

Shootouts in Dead and Buried can be pretty intense (and hell on my knees!)

Protip, gardening knee pads are $8 shipped on Amazon (Home Depot has them cheap too), and will save you from searing pain the next few days.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAHART-Closure-Comfort-Gardening-Housework/dp/B015MM0MBM

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll have to wait a while before I can play Robo recall as the AC is broken and it's 80 degrees in here.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I'll have to wait a while before I can play Robo recall as the AC is broken and it's 80 degrees in here.

You know what you have to do... play naked.

Edit: Facebook is watching...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I only played the Robo Recall at PAX South does it not do 360 well or something? Some one complained about teleporting. Should I wait for it to be patched?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tested's new VR show is up, GDC stuff including interview with Nate Mitchell about the new pricing etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgq6QPtiK78&hd=1
..and Jason Rubin on the price drop - refinements of the supply chain are part but not all of the reason: https://uploadvr.com/price-reduction-for-oculus-rift-and-touch-600/

LG HMD's panel is OLED but higher res: https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-lgs-steamvr-headset/

Zero VGS posted:

Protip, gardening knee pads are $8 shipped on Amazon (Home Depot has them cheap too), and will save you from searing pain the next few days.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAHART-Closure-Comfort-Gardening-Housework/dp/B015MM0MBM
hah too late for that, to be fair I think I've adjusted and it's not so bad these days - first few times I got crazy carpet burn!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Robo Recall is cool poo poo. They've basically removed every obstacle most shooters have and tried to make you feel as badass as possible. The point of this game is not really to avoid dying - it's to kill as many dudes as possible while looking as cool as you can. Easily the best shooter I've played, a standout title so far.

And the gun angle actually feels great! I wish I could make some verrrry slight adjustments to it but it's pretty much fine as is.

Bhodi posted:

BUT they really an option to make the facing teleport be relative to your facing when you TP rather than the facing of the room. It's super annoying.

THIS. I want to be able to spin around AND use the teleport facing depending on the situation, but right now if you spin you've lost your sense of where "forward" is and now who knows where you're going to end up facing when you teleport. I think it's making me a little woozy honestly.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Hey, I know this has been mentioned, but Pavlov is good. Like really good for 6 bucks.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
My favorite pavlov tactic is to drop my primary, grab the holstered glock and then go knife running.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

AndrewP posted:

THIS. I want to be able to spin around AND use the teleport facing depending on the situation, but right now if you spin you've lost your sense of where "forward" is and now who knows where you're going to end up facing when you teleport. I think it's making me a little woozy honestly.
So again do you think this is something they might fix? Or is it core to the game? I don't wanna play till its perfect.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bet they add the option if enough people bitch. Worst case is someone has to mod it in. No reason it couldn't work, Arizona Sunshine does it fine IIRC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:shittypop: now I want Rec Room Texas Hold'em to be a thing rather than a mockup

I also want to be less socially loving defunct so I can play rec room without getting weird and nervous and leaving like I do IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Tested's new VR show is up, GDC stuff including interview with Nate Mitchell about the new pricing etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgq6QPtiK78&hd=1
OK I'm quoting myself but this is really worth watching - mostly because there's a long interview with Nate Mitchell where the Tested guy covers basically all the bases. There's some really in-depth stuff about how Oculus the company is operating now and some hints at where they're going with Rift et al in the near and further furture. He even asks about my own personal bugbear, the lack of updates to Oculus Home.
They also look at Psychonauts which is new on PSVR.