Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Libertarian is piece of human garbage, film at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

epenthesis posted:

Libertarian is piece of human garbage, film at 11

As opposed to the people buying dogs from puppy mills who are

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

monster on a stick posted:

As opposed to the people buying dogs from puppy mills who are

Keep this derail up and we'll summon the people who unironically don't care about animal milling or stray animals to the thread (again)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

It's even worse than rent-to-own, which at least lets you take ownership once the excessive payments are made.

The whole point of this scheme is to add an extra chunk of surprise cost at the end with the buyout payment. "Oh, you wanted to keep your dog? You say you need that hearing aid to talk to your grandkids? Well, better come up with some extra money, then, because otherwise I'm taking it back. You were just renting it."

The entire business model is based around leasing things that people won't be willing to give up at the end of the lease term (and people shopping on payment and not reading fine print, but exploiting poor financial education is just an American tradition).

the article posted:

“We like niches where we’re dealing with emotional borrowers,” Wunderlich said.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Keep this derail up and we'll summon the people who unironically don't care about animal milling or stray animals to the thread (again)

Were they worse than the "$100,001 annual salary? You are the rich we will put up against the wall when the revolution comes" people?

vvv - where can I buy some notes

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 1, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Seventy percent APR hahaha jesus.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Rent-a-tire makes a killing around here, whoever came up with that business model is a genius.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Bring back usury laws

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5wwa8d/80k_in_debt_need_serious_help_please/

quote:

I am in serious debt, over the years I have lived well beyond my means and I've finally reached a point where I just don't know what to do anymore. I was thinking of reaching out to Clearpoint but I thought I would turn here for help first. I'm married but my wife and I keep our money separate. I make $1234.90 after taxes every two weeks and here is my current debt:

CC 1 $12263.92(15.75%)

CC 2 $4360(12.49%)

Car $34285.65(2.99%) $527.41/month(wife gives $150.00/month)

Loan 1 $7468.90(6.24%) $331.44/month

Loan 2 $9090.01(6.24%) $292.31/month

Def Comp Loan $9774.82 $214.39/month

Retirement Loan $6972.37 $81.00/paycheck

Mortgage $170090.78(3.75%) $1319.39/month(split w/wife)

I also pay $300/month for child care
$160/month for phone/tv
$33/month for garbage

I don't know what else to do so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a complete and total disaster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really don't see a way for him to make it out while grossing ~32,000/year.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Should he declare bankruptcy? Can he?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Should he declare bankruptcy? Can he?

Unless he fixes his habits that led to this point he's going to just be tremendously in debt again.

Chalk one up for combined finances, though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's hard to picture that $527/mo car payment not being a fully-loaded pickup truck

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's hard to picture that $527/mo car payment not being a fully-loaded pickup truck

My money is on a kitted out Honda Pilot or similar because of the focus on CAN'T GET 2D JOB BECAUSE ARE CHILDREN

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's probably some shitbox that he rolled like twelve former loans into or is paying 25% interest on

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My money is on a kitted out Honda Pilot or similar because of the focus on CAN'T GET 2D JOB BECAUSE ARE CHILDREN

I honestly believe him about that because childcare is staggeringly expensive, and after-hours/weekend childcare just flat-out isn't available unless you can afford to hire a nanny or have family members willing to make a huge sacrifice.

Does he say if he's underwater on the car loan? If it's that expensive and he's carting the whole family around in it every day I have to imagine he's taking a big hit on depreciation.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
$12k at 15.75%

:eyepop:

I guess that is one alternative to the "just get a dozen cards" school of bad financial decisions.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 1, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Who even approves that kind of loving credit limit for a guy earning $48k?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Oh my god he hasn't told his wife about any of this

e: "any" is an exaggeration, but the fact that she doesn't have a clue about the scope of the problem? Mindboggling.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flosofl posted:

Nothing in this surprised me:

quote:

He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.” 

I don't remember Usury being a Christian value.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pig slut lisa posted:

Oh my god he hasn't told his wife about any of this

e: "any" is an exaggeration, but the fact that she doesn't have a clue about the scope of the problem? Mindboggling.
Hah I took that for granted without him stating it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
What's a retirement loan?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Randler posted:

What's a retirement loan?

Personal loan from his own 401(k), probably

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I honestly believe him about that because childcare is staggeringly expensive, and after-hours/weekend childcare just flat-out isn't available unless you can afford to hire a nanny or have family members willing to make a huge sacrifice.

Does he say if he's underwater on the car loan? If it's that expensive and he's carting the whole family around in it every day I have to imagine he's taking a big hit on depreciation.

If he still owes 35k he's absolutely underwater on that loan.

edit: didn't even realize he doesn't mention the term on the loan. He has 65 months of payments left, so at minimum it originated as a 72 month loan for a total of 37,9k. :stare:

Edit2: that car note has to be in his wife's name if he got 2.99% APR

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 1, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

That post gives me some HEAVY schadenfreude.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I don't remember Usury being a Christian value.

This is the thing about Americanized Christianity that pisses me off the most. The Bible says no gays so that's final, but all that stuff about caring for the poor/widows/your neighbor can be ignored.

I've even had people try to tell me that "neighbor" means other Christians only and yes, they know the parable of the Good Samaritan, but that's not related.

There is only one time Jesus loses his poo poo in the Bible and its at the money changers. How could that guy come to the conclusion that his business is in line with Christian values?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

SquirrelFace posted:

This is the thing about Americanized Christianity that pisses me off the most. The Bible says no gays so that's final, but all that stuff about caring for the poor/widows/your neighbor can be ignored.

I've even had people try to tell me that "neighbor" means other Christians only and yes, they know the parable of the Good Samaritan, but that's not related.

There is only one time Jesus loses his poo poo in the Bible and its at the money changers. How could that guy come to the conclusion that his business is in line with Christian values?

He sees it as advantageous that he is seen as an upstanding Christian, likely to take advantage of other people who identify as Christians and are bad with money. There's all kinds of stupid stuff about gospel of wealth and all that nonsense.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My bank does. All the time. I just saw a credit limit of $18k at 20.49% for someone that makes $55k today in fact.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Redditor knows it is a scam, goes through with it anyways. Is furious he got scammed.

quote:

Ok so here goes: to start with I should've known better, and I did try to take every precautionary step, but regardless I fell for what I think is a scam. So I got a text message from a 5 digit number offering to make $400 a week by having Guayaki Yerba mate advertisements put on my car. It said to email if interested. I emailed with the subject "scam?" and the body of "how'd you get my phone number to text?" and they responded immediately with details on the offering, ignoring my question. The biggest red flag was that they would be sending a cashier's check with my first week's pay and payment for the installer, which I was to send to them. So I immediately asked why I would send it and not them, to which they responded it was to establish a relationship between myself and the installer, for if I needed it removed in the future... I figured it was a scam at this point but decided to see how it'd play out. Well, to my surprise, I received a cashier's check in the mail a couple days later. It looks legit, and I figured what the hell, I'd deposit it, and my credit union would deny it if it was fake. Well... they did put it on a 4 business day hold, but it eventually cleared. At this point the guy is now texting (started as soon as I received the check), so he text me to moneygram the money to the installer, which was in Texas (I live in ca). So I say "how is an installer in Texas supposed to install on my car in ca?" To which he explains this is the installer's main office, and he would have a local installer come out. So, stupidly, I take the money out and moneygram it to someone in Texas. The person that's been communicating with me is in MO from what I can tell, a well as the cashier's check, which was in his name, from a credit union in MO. So flash forward to a couple hours after the moneygram, I text him asking about scheduling (he had been very quick to respond and communicate in general up to this point). Nothing. This was yesterday. I text again today. Nothing. Last night I finally told my brother about this whole thing, and he said I should get out what money I have left in my account, as the check could reverse and I'd be negative the amount I pulled out for the moneygram. So I went to an ATM (live on a mountain my credit union is at the base) and pulled out my rent money. I'm basically just trying to figure out what my rights are, and what the best steps to take from here would be. As this is likely a scam, these people received 850 of someone's dollars, and I sure as hell don't have that kind of extra scratch. Please advise.
Update: this fucker's still going!! Quick, someone who's really good at this kind of stuff figure out a way I can get his rear end caught!! Here's his most recent text: https://imgur.com/a/KP4A4

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It came from the eurozone

quote:

Hey everyone
due to the absolutely poo poo taxes in France, I have to give half my salary (which is approx 8-12k a month) in taxes as I am working for myself (dentist), and that's not even including the annual taxes that everyone pays
Now as I'm starting working, I only have to pay like 100 euros a month for 24 months, before I have to tell them the exact amount of money i made in the last 2 years and giving them about half of it
So in other words i get to keep about 5k a month for 2 years before I have to hand it to the taxes
My question is, how should I keep it ? Should I invest it or is it not worth it because it's such a short period of time ? (i don't know poo poo about finance)
Thank you

BWM: Starting a business without speaking to a tax accountant and asking the internet how to invest taxes before they're assessed.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Randler posted:

It came from the eurozone

BWM: Starting a business without speaking to a tax accountant and asking the internet how to invest taxes before they're assessed.

I am deeply saddened by this poor dentist's plight.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Pretty sure I had a limit like that back when I was making half that. If you make you're payments, they'll lend you the world. I do wonder what the usual limit is though? 50, 75, 100% of your annual income?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Golluk posted:

Pretty sure I had a limit like that back when I was making half that. If you make you're payments, they'll lend you the world. I do wonder what the usual limit is though? 50, 75, 100% of your annual income?

My in-laws had a credit card with a six-figure limit, mostly because they'd had the account for so long and the bank kept raising their limit every few years.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Between this and what I hear about tech startups I'm starting to think banks are just lending to anything with a pulse and SSN

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SquirrelFace posted:

How could that guy come to the conclusion that his business is in line with Christian values?

You probably already know (poo poo everyone itt probably does) but I'll say it anyway, to really give my disgust free reign: to them, the bible is just an occasionally convenient book, and since the world is organized to bless the wealthy and punish the poor, and since they identify more with the wealthy, they conclude that this organization is justly ordained by God. "To those who have much, even more will be given, and from those who have little, even more will be taken," they may say, their tongues sadly failing to fall bubbling from their mouths at the blasphemy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

paragon1 posted:

Between this and what I hear about tech startups I'm starting to think banks are just lending to anything with a pulse and SSN

Most startups don't borrow money, and if so not from a retail bank.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Subjunctive posted:

Most startups don't borrow money, and if so not from a retail bank.

Your right, a retail bank actually has more hope of getting something out of the money hole. :v:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I caught this gem in an article about an Uber driver arguing with their CEO after giving him a ride.

Uber driver posted:

“But people are not trusting you anymore. … I lost $97,000 because of you. I'm bankrupt because of you. Yes, yes, yes. You keep changing every day. You keep changing every day.”

Yes, let's take out a nearly 6-figure loan in order to become a chauffeur then blame the CEO when plans don't pan out!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He's an idiot, but the Uber CEO is still a piece of poo poo and Uber is a terrible company taking advantage of poor people who are desperate.

Also, :lol: at "two female friends."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It is odd, I mean what's the upside to a loan that size. How much do you need to make to justify that kind of capital on a rapidly depreciating asset.

I know people made a lot of money running multiple taxis or a fleet of limos, but is anyone planning on maintaining a fleet of Ubers? It feels like you'd just be treading water in between new loans to replace your rapidly worn out vehicles.

• Locked thread