Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's seriously been terrible for like a year.

Yakuza 5 and tricky towers though 👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza 5 and tricky towers though 👀

Do you mean Yakuza 4? Because I have that, but not 5 Did I miss it?

Tricky towers is legit though. That's gets the most play out of any PS+ game I got. Lives alongside jackbox for party times. You can hand a controller to any non gamer and they go "oh tetris" and fun ensues when their poo poo falls over for the first time.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EDF would be cool if I had a PS3 (though I have the new one on PC anyway) but I don't really care about the rest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yikes, what a load of crap

... Those are like all cool games and good games :confused:

I seriously am never sure what people want out of this

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

We got Yakuza 5 in August with Tricky Towers, I think that's why he mentioned both. Yakuza 4 was February 2015.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

We got Yakuza 5 in August with Tricky Towers, I think that's why he mentioned both. Yakuza 4 was February 2015.

drat I must have missed it. Oh wait, No I did get it, the psn mobile app tells you the price on the page even if you own it instead of "purchased". Sweet, just added 60 hours to my backlog.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I used to not really notice frame rate but then I played Overwatch at 144 Hz and now I easily notice sub-60 fps whenever it happens. Also going from Nioh action mode to loading up Bloodborne was actually kind of painful

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Bombadilillo posted:

I have 4 and 5 and don't remember actually paying for any.
e:f,b

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

haveblue posted:

Horizon is unbelievably pretty but it's amazing how little effort they seem to have spent on the dialog system. Not only does it have bad facial animation and lip sync, characters pop into new poses all the time and more than once the conversation wheel hasn't updated to reflect questions I've already asked.

Also it's not a technical thing but something about the delivery of a lot of Aloy's "this conversation is over" lines give me the nagging feeling that she's creeped out and eager to disengage from whoever she's talking to.

I've noticed the characters popping into new poses as well. Reminds me of Bioware games, you skip dialogue and they change poses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's so hosed, how did I miss that? They are always hiding poo poo... I checked like 4 times that month for something besudes tricky towers...

Edit: oh right because ps3, nm

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I used to not really notice frame rate but then I played Overwatch at 144 Hz and now I easily notice sub-60 fps whenever it happens. Also going from Nioh action mode to loading up Bloodborne was actually kind of painful

Once I had a system capable of running TR2013 with TressFX on it's been total Diderot Effect all the way down.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Snak posted:

That's so hosed, how did I miss that? They are always hiding poo poo... I checked like 4 times that month for something besudes tricky towers...

Edit: oh right because ps3, nm
If you use the webstore, you get to see and purchase all of the PS+ games, not just the games for the system you're using.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
After watching the gameplay footage for Mass Effect: Andromeda, my opinion of Horizon: Zero Dawn is somewhat higher in retrospect. I suppose the concept of Ubisoft-style game design spreading to other developers is distasteful enough to get me fired up, but I'd gladly 100% that before touching another Bioware game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is Andromeda an openworld collect-a-thon?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you use the webstore, you get to see and purchase all of the PS+ games, not just the games for the system you're using.

If I ever buy a ps3 I'm going to have like sixty games of varying quality right off the bat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bombadilillo posted:

Is Andromeda an openworld collect-a-thon?

It looks like it's going to have primarily hub-based mission areas with some free roaming planets.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Tearaway is a cool-looking game that I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to buying. A good month.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I've noticed the characters popping into new poses as well. Reminds me of Bioware games, you skip dialogue and they change poses.

Yeah, but I don't even skip, it happens as part of the scripted flow.

Still really enjoying the game, and I think I'm at the part where it opens up- just climbed my first Tallneck and revealed a huge chunk of the map, got involved in our war chief's vendetta against the attackers, and found an underground bunker with something really cool in it behind a door I can't unlock yet.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's gonna take ages to get rental copies of Nioh or Yakuza dispatched so I've instead ordered a copy of Yakuza, Dropped Nioh down my list for when the hype dies down and decided to finally get stuck into Far Cry Primal and Dishonored 2

I've seen a bunch of criticism that Primal copies a lot of 4's structure but I managed to totally skip 4 without even really realising despite loving every Far Cry since the original. The caveman asthetic is kinda novel and I don't really need to say much about Dishonored, the original is one of my favourite games of all time. Cannae wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

If I ever buy a ps3 I'm going to have like sixty games of varying quality right off the bat.

PS3 is worth buying now more than ever. It's my Demons Souls /DS1 / Buzz machine and I love it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

It's gonna take ages to get rental copies of Nioh or Yakuza dispatched so I've instead ordered a copy of Yakuza, Dropped Nioh down my list for when the hype dies down and decided to finally get stuck into Far Cry Primal and Dishonored 2

I've seen a bunch of criticism that Primal copies a lot of 4's structure but I managed to totally skip 4 without even really realising despite loving every Far Cry since the original. The caveman asthetic is kinda novel and I don't really need to say much about Dishonored, the original is one of my favourite games of all time. Cannae wait.

4 is good. The main criticism is that it is more of 3, which was also good but with a lot of added stuff. And theres a billion dumb things to collect, so if you have an ounce of self control you can ignore them. Primal was alright, I played it and never need to look back. Both worth playing, but don't sleep on 4 because people don't like it anymore for reasons?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

haveblue posted:

Also it's not a technical thing but something about the delivery of a lot of Aloy's "this conversation is over" lines give me the nagging feeling that she's creeped out and eager to disengage from whoever she's talking to.

Not sure if I've seen this myself but it sorta makes sense because she grew up an outcast with just Rost and that merchant to talk with. She probably has some amount of social anxiety which makes instances where she's witty and such seem off, so maybe nevermind....

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

RBA Starblade posted:

I did exactly that when I saw a 500gb model on sale new for like $150 a few months ago. Also lol, had to explain to a very confused electronics clerk that yes I want the ps3, not a ps4.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crossposting from the videogame thread:

Guillermus posted:

Question regarding Armored Core games on the 360 (or PS3). I'm about to buy Armored Core 4, For Answer and V used via ebay. Is it worth to play all three or is there a "X is the best, ignore the other two"?

Edit: For clarification, I want to buy AC4, AC For Answer and AC V, but I see there's a Veredict day too, is it an upgraded version of V or a different game?

Should I get all 4 games or can I safely ignore some? I really really want to play a mecha game badly on my 360.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Crossposting from the videogame thread:

Should I get all 4 games or can I safely ignore some? I really really want to play a mecha game badly on my 360.
V and Verdict Day you can probably skip. Those are primarily multiplayer and for V the servers have been long since shut down.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So 4 and For Answer then? From what I read For Answer is better but I'm getting both for like 15€ so it isn't that much anyways.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I did exactly that when I saw a 500gb model on sale new for like $150 a few months ago. Also lol, had to explain to a very confused electronics clerk that yes I want the ps3, not a ps4.

Didn't every model go on sale for $40 a few weeks ago?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guillermus posted:

So 4 and For Answer then? From what I read For Answer is better but I'm getting both for like 15€ so it isn't that much anyways.
There are definitely people that prefer 4A, kinda depends on how much you like the Arms Forts. They're a cool spectacle but I never found them much fun to fight, and thought 4A was worse for its focus on them. Its worth playing both of them if you're into AC though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, I will say, for all he quality that Horizon has, it's transitions between scenes is loving abysmal.

In lots of places, but the one that made the most impact as horrible so far... I shot one of a bunch of guys attacking, and my last bullet hit... and it instantly cuts to me like walking away like 30 meters away. I mean like instantly. Fired bullet-scene transition.

Totally amateur.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

Man, I will say, for all he quality that Horizon has, it's transitions between scenes is loving abysmal.

In lots of places, but the one that made the most impact as horrible so far... I shot one of a bunch of guys attacking, and my last bullet hit... and it instantly cuts to me like walking away like 30 meters away. I mean like instantly. Fired bullet-scene transition.

Totally amateur.

A lot of the cutscene direction for minor or incidental scenes in Horizon is shockingly bad. I feel like it had to have been outsourced or something because it's completely on a different level than the actual well-done cutscenes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one thing i find really jarring in horizon is that when you talk to other characters the game will just dramatically change the depth/focus out of nowhere so that the framing and depth are totally different for no reason

also sometimes the hud wants to come on in transitions in cutscenes and its also jarring. it doesnt super bother me but i find it a bit at odds with the level of polish everywhere else

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had a casual conversation cut scene where dudes were fighting a snapjaw 20 feet behind me. That was pretty funny

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finally got the PS4 Pro and got it set up and downloading Let It Die to see how long game downloads take.

Is there a way to hide your real name on the Home Screen? I think I have it set so it won't display online, but I can't figure out if there's a way to hide it on the main screen. It's not a big deal if you can't, but I'm paranoid I'll accidentally post a screen-cap of it online while using the Share functions.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Did Sony ever say anything about 3D sound via Platinum headset support for Horizon? With only UC4 supported it seems like it's dead already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing Horizon and I can already tell that every minute I am listening to someone talk instead of hunting robots is going to be a minute I wish I was hunting robots instead.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the cutscene direction for minor or incidental scenes in Horizon is shockingly bad. I feel like it had to have been outsourced or something because it's completely on a different level than the actual well-done cutscenes.

Yeah, this is not wrong. But the worst moment so far (the one I was referring to) was a major early main campaign scene.

Also, I will just say, in my own personal opinion, that Horizon is a TOP CLASS game, but I cannot get my mind off of wanting to go back and finish playing Nioh. Nioh is the loving truth.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Finally got the PS4 Pro and got it set up and downloading Let It Die to see how long game downloads take.

Is there a way to hide your real name on the Home Screen? I think I have it set so it won't display online, but I can't figure out if there's a way to hide it on the main screen. It's not a big deal if you can't, but I'm paranoid I'll accidentally post a screen-cap of it online while using the Share functions.

I don't know if you can hide it but you can just change it. You aren't obligated to give your ps4 your real name.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I should probably buy Nioh if enjoy souls games?

gently caress yeah I forgot about let it die as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Norns posted:

I should probably buy Nioh if enjoy souls games?

gently caress yeah I forgot about let it die as well.

Yes, its very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

There are definitely people that prefer 4A, kinda depends on how much you like the Arms Forts. They're a cool spectacle but I never found them much fun to fight, and thought 4A was worse for its focus on them. Its worth playing both of them if you're into AC though.

Thanks for the advice, I ended getting both 4 and 4A for 13€ total including shipping wich seems a decent deal. I'm no short of games to play but have a mech itch and well, I love FROM games so what can go wrong?