Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you get banned for playing inter-region I could definitely see most of LAN getting nuked. For the longest time it was just the east coast server.

From my brief time on LAN trying it out, I can say that the announcer for the Spanish client is a smooth motherfucker. It sounds so much better than the English announcer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I dinked around on it for a bit and quite a few of the voices were great. I remember Draven's being pretty good

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Nazzadan posted:

Didn't the top half of the LAN ladder get nuked recently by Riot for scripting or being from different regions?

Asking cause I genuinely don't know, I've just heard it more than once.

Wasn't it OCE for boosting/account sharing, among other things?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

el dingo posted:

Wasn't it OCE for boosting/account sharing, among other things?

OCE definitely got it and it wiped out like half of their challenger scene, but I'm pretty sure LAN got one as well

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Never heard of anyone being banned for playing cross-region, nor that it breaks any rule in the first place. That said Riot's South American offices arent exactly bastions of the highest competency.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I wouldn't have much problem with the Nunu guy if he found a duo queue bot lane who knew about his plan and was prepared for it, but foisting it on randoms is kinda lovely.

Anyway I watched a couple of his games out of curiosity. His strategy is entirely predicated on the other team not knowing what to do about it, which happens about half the time. The other half the enemy jungler gets quick help from his lanes, Nunu goes 0/10, and immediately starts complaining about how his team is bad. Hmmmm.

Also a former top 200 player managing to scrape out a 50% win rate in mid-diamond is very unimpressive. Especially as a one-trick, even if it is a weird one-trick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

misguided rage posted:

Anyway I watched a couple of his games out of curiosity. His strategy is entirely predicated on the other team not knowing what to do about it, which happens about half the time.

To be fair, this is literally most moba tournaments.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well deserving the ban or not, it got lifted and Riot is going to clarify rules surrounding situations like this.
Wookiecookie:

quote:

Hey everyone, the discussion around this case showed us we need to press reset on cases like these in a way that's more sensible, clear, and fair. It’s probably not a surprise, but the details are hotly debated here at Riot too, and we think the discussion around gameplay agency and teammate pain is important. It’s not great to be penalizing people when the rules (hi ancient knowledge base article) aren’t all that clear, so Monday night, Player Support lifted the remaining portion of the ban. A bunch of us are meeting early next week to get our poo poo together, and we’ll be talking to you about it sooner rather than later.
Interested to see the outcome of this talk.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

6 years ago a friend of mine and I climbed out of bronze playing nothing but Irelia and Warwick bot lane and going double Stark's Fervor -> Wit's End -> Bloodrazor and it's not really the same cause no one in bronze knew/knows what's going on but I say don't ban for picks no matter what at any level.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Are they really banning over character picks now? loving lol, this game went to the shitter

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nazzadan posted:

Well deserving the ban or not, it got lifted and Riot is going to clarify rules surrounding situations like this.
Wookiecookie:

Interested to see the outcome of this talk.

In my dreamworld the outcome of the talk is "hey maybe let's work on changing the game so that the meta isn't like a ball and chain around everyone's collective ankle"

I know that's just a pipe dream though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tonetta posted:

Are they really banning over character picks now? loving lol, this game went to the shitter

It is the natural extension of the pick and ban phase. If we don't like your pick, we're gonna ban you. :smugdog:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Didn't the top half of the LAN ladder get nuked recently by Riot for scripting or being from different regions?

Asking cause I genuinely don't know, I've just heard it more than once.

It wouldn't surprise me, lots of.. let's call them baddies, go to LAN for easy challenger, and it wouldn't surprise me that those that couldn't hack it there would also use scripts if they were going to pay for transfers to try for a easier rank up.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

So is methanar banned too

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tonetta posted:

not really, they're banning because the support isn't supporting in lane. He immediately goes to the enemy jungle and counterjungles, which is effective if the enemy laners stay in lane and don't just come kill him. This REALLY sucks for the adc, because he now has to solo his lane, which is both boring and difficult if the enemy botlane can turret dive (and some supps can enable this surprisingly early). So mostly he was banned for making his adc's miserable on a regular basis, but now the ban has been lifted because there aren't rules that say being support means you have to actually support, and there will be some kind of meta-discussion at RITO that probably leads to absolutely nothing of value.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tonetta posted:

So is methanar banned too

Multiple times for account boosting but thats got nothing to do with the current discussions.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If you make everyone report you over 400 games whatever you're doing is bad and you should be banned for it, i dont give a poo poo how anyone spins it.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Then you get poo poo like immense feeders who lose constantly getting reported for unskilled "intentionally feeding" when they just are super bad and that sucks. Just cause someone belongs in Asbestos 5 and placements bottom out at Bronze doesn't mean they should get banned for the volume of their reports when they feed 125 games in a row.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

If you feed 125 games in a row you should be banned.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I think maybe it's you who should be banned. You seem like a textbook rager, the only real crime most players commit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

misguided rage posted:

The other half the enemy jungler gets quick help from his lanes, Nunu goes 0/10, and immediately starts complaining about how his team is bad. Hmmmm.
This is probably why he was getting reported. If you're gonna play a bizarro strategy that only works if the enemy doesn't know what to do, and end up throwing the game because your teammates also don't know what to do, then at least be humble about it. Raging at your teammates consistently probably does deserve punishment.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Seems like he's a textbook rager, the only real crime (?) most players commit.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

misguided rage posted:

Anyway I watched a couple of his games out of curiosity. His strategy is entirely predicated on the other team not knowing what to do about it, which happens about half the time. The other half the enemy jungler gets quick help from his lanes, Nunu goes 0/10, and immediately starts complaining about how his team is bad. Hmmmm.*

They say he gets reported by his team in 55% of his Nunu games. Since he only loses 47% of his Nunu games, at the bare minimum he's getting reported at least once in every seven winning games.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kevin is right tho and Riot were foolish to back off the ban because it didn't have to do with an oddball pick it had to do with his team wanting nothing to do with him. Maybe he should've gotten a warning but people trying to exploit their old-rear end rules where their example of an "off meta pick" is so old that it features Morganna support is so shallow.

An example of an off-meta support: A player goes Pantheon and wins about 50% of his games, still wards but if things don't snowball he becomes useless. He's still trying his best and doesn't rage at team mates

An example of someone who needs punished: A player picks Lux support, tries to take half of the ADC's CS, leaves bot lane constantly, doesn't ward out, and tries to intentionally steal kills. In this example they're disrupting the game, and it doesn't matter if you try and claim "Riot's enforcing the meta!" because this player is trying to make the whole team player their style and loving over another player for selfish reasons. Most of these players are also toxic anyway and would probably get punished because of that.

There's a difference between "Enforcing the meta" and "Forcing everyone into your own meta" in solo queue, since most people are expected to perform their defined role, especially since there's role selection now. It's stupid to bring up things that were okay in Season 1 before people knew what the optimal lanes were, and saying "Well a pro team did it too so it must be ok" but there's five players and a coach agreeing to do whatever silly poo poo they're doing there, not one player saying in champion select "Hey you're all going to play my game now"

Like has been mentioned, there's Flex Queue which is a lot more relaxed and lets you have a majority of the team agree to your nonsense if you're going to do that kind of thing. At bare minimum if you're going Smite support Nunu you should be duo'ing with your ADC who knows what they're getting into before the game starts.

Bottom line it's a matter of courtesy in these situations to your team and you shouldn't force them to play a style they don't want to, and if 55% of those games are punished that's more than enough to tell a player "That's not okay" and give them a temporary ban even before taking into account toxicity.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This has been a nice source of quality reddit analyst posts such as "does this means AP-Mid supports are bannable."

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
What are the "optimal" lanes, exactly

E: "intentionally stealing kills"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

An example of someone who needs punished: A player picks Lux support, tries to take half of the ADC's CS, leaves bot lane constantly, doesn't ward out, and tries to intentionally steal kills. In this example they're disrupting the game, and it doesn't matter if you try and claim "Riot's enforcing the meta!" because this player is trying to make the whole team player their style and loving over another player for selfish reasons. Most of these players are also toxic anyway and would probably get punished because of that.

But this still goes into the question of "What does X role do?". There's no rule that supports aren't allowed to CS, or that they have to stay in lane X% of the time, or that they are never allowed to take a kill. I understand what you're saying and I agree they need to look at the way the player behaves and not just the pick, but there's no way for them to do that without looking at every case individually because anyone can argue "I'm still playing to win its not my fault that my team didn't like my play style".

The other option seems to be something like letting individual teams vote on if they think someone else deserves punishment, which is an even worse idea because if you play anything even slightly off meta (Or just do bad in your role) there's a good chance your team would just rage vote you as an offender.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I decided to come play this silly game again, are there still a lot of goons that play? Is there still a silversquid channel or clan or whatever, and how do I join it? Help this new client makes no sense :ohdear:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Welcome back Mr. Path. May your stay be an enjoyable one.

Most goon games are organized via. Discord, you can find a link in the opening post in this very thread.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

What kind of hosed up things happen at the discard

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alris posted:

Welcome back Mr. Path. May your stay be an enjoyable one.

Most goon games are organized via. Discord, you can find a link in the opening post in this very thread.

Thank you! I briefly glanced at the OP and thought it was unchanged, but clearly I need to look harder.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

el dingo posted:

Zyra free this week so I finally caved in to give her a try.

Welp, if I ever try ranked again I know who I'm choosing every match. My jihn got blitz hooked lvl 2 and I got fb on blitz somehow? The lane snowballed from there

I won my first game as sion support, now I truly know the meta and whats op

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Here you go.

Servaetes posted:

:siren:CTS is dead! We're in Discord now! https://discordapp.com/invite/EnCswPa :siren:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This really shouldn't be so complicated:

Person picks off-meta wildcard strategy, explains it to their team before the game starts, makes clear that he isn't going to be doing X role = this person doesn't deserve to be punished unless he's being toxic

Person picks off-meta wildcard strategy, doesn't explain anything to allies, remains silent when they try to coordinate with him = punish this guy

There doesn't need to be more to it than that. Smite CJ Nunu guy deserves punishment for being toxic and not coordinating with allies. If he had said "Counterjungling as Nunu. I am not support" and the ADC picks Vayne anyways then its the ADC players' own drat fault.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

I won my first game as sion support, now I truly know the meta and whats op

Prepare you anus for a banus

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Neurolimal posted:

This really shouldn't be so complicated:

Person picks off-meta wildcard strategy, explains it to their team before the game starts, makes clear that he isn't going to be doing X role = this person doesn't deserve to be punished unless he's being toxic

Person picks off-meta wildcard strategy, doesn't explain anything to allies, remains silent when they try to coordinate with him = punish this guy

There doesn't need to be more to it than that. Smite CJ Nunu guy deserves punishment for being toxic and not coordinating with allies. If he had said "Counterjungling as Nunu. I am not support" and the ADC picks Vayne anyways then its the ADC players' own drat fault.

Smite CJ Nunu copy and pastes this word vomit in the chat once at champion select: http://pastebin.com/YjhwzxKi

It's really obnoxious, with some choice segments like

"My champion pool limits me to only picking Nunu."
(Has a bunch of Ivern games in his match history)

"Laning 1v2 is actually stupidly easy because there’s practically no expectation to trade, CS well, or avoid ganks. It’s actually easier than laning 1v1 or 2v2 as long as you actually play the lane properly and give up some CS. (which can be made up with solo experience gain). If 1v2 lanes were this nightmarish hell some of my whinier teammates would lead you to believe, then people wouldn’t jungle at all, because it would be better to 2v1 one of the other lanes."
(Adding the first jungle only allows the enemy team to have a 1v2 lane. Having a second jungler allows the enemy to 1v3 dive you with the enemy jungle. The whole reason there was once a pro lane-swap meta is that no champion can survive a 1v3 dive pre-6 ).

"How come you die all the time? Because risky play leads to more outcomes that involve dying. And the further you are behind, the riskier you should typically play because the game has numerous mechanics to rubber band the team that’s losing (killing sprees, bonus experience on epic monsters, etc.). " (Says the guy who flames his team when he's behind as CJ Nunu on a semi-regular basis)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

golden bubble posted:

"How come you die all the time? Because risky play leads to more outcomes that involve dying. And the further you are behind, the riskier you should typically play because the game has numerous mechanics to rubber band the team that’s losing (killing sprees, bonus experience on epic monsters, etc.). " (Says the guy who flames his team when he's behind as CJ Nunu on a semi-regular basis)

I mean, he's not wrong on this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yyyeah, posting a loving pastebin link in team chat doesnt count

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he sounds like a nerd. but people should still be able to play whatever they want... life is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its super easy to 1v2 and cs under tower until the enemy team somehow notices you're 1v2 and you're under tower and its loving trivially easy to dive you because your support is in the enemy jungle and told you to "play safe" and will yell at you if you die to the dive you almost definitely can't do poo poo about

edit: this assumes the jungle or mid never show up for the free kill party and why wouldnt they

• Locked thread