Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
For my money, there isn't a better shoe on TV than The Walking Dead! So glad my sole mate back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Did that guy ever make more protractor Neegan pictures?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rick is also really good at getting blood in his beard.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

You know one thing that interests me is that Negan's carrot strategy is way more effective than the stick.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 2, 2017

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

His pickle strategy is way more effective than the bat.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kelly posted:

Why don't they just pack up and head to Minneapolis? They can take over a block of buildings, use the skywalks to get from place to place during the winter to avoid the streets. And the stupid walkers won't be able to survive a winter up there. Assuming World War Z rules, that is.

Clearly Negan and co have that area on lockdown so LEAVE.

I like the idea of there being somewhere chill and good where society is already pretty much rebuilt and meanwhile there are these groups of idiots who gave up on going anywhere and settle for living in model homes in a poorly protected suburb or literal mountains of trash while constantly warring with each other

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parity warning posted:

I like the idea of there being somewhere chill and good where society is already pretty much rebuilt and meanwhile there are these groups of idiots who gave up on going anywhere and settle for living in model homes in a poorly protected suburb or literal mountains of trash while constantly warring with each other

They should rip off the World War Z ending from the book when it turns out the United States Army was actually hold up rebuilding somewhere and every one of those little garbage kingdoms the fought so hard to establish their borders just got completely utterly rolled by tanks unless they immediately surrendered to the United States government.

That would be a comedy gold ending on this show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

That would be a great ending and it's not like the WWZ movie is using it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Reminds me of Jericho. Sad that it was cancelled.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
still missin' dat tank

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the zombies can never be a realistic threat unless you just have the "zombie virus" be like this weird airborne thing that hits all of humanity at once, so quickly that only a few stragglers are left at the end

Cuz "slow retarded people with no weapons" doesn't strike me as much of a threat to a military force

Which is probably why we've never had any zombie movie get into how all the militaries of the world can't deal with this poo poo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

the zombies can never be a realistic threat unless you just have the "zombie virus" be like this weird airborne thing that hits all of humanity at once, so quickly that only a few stragglers are left at the end

Depends on the zombie.

Return of the Living Dead zombies, for example, are on the other end of the power spectrum. You can't destroy them and even if you nuke them they'll just make more; the recent AND distant departed are all brought back into the fold, and they're intelligent enough to use basic equipment, speak, and lay traps. I legitimately don't think you can come up with a way to forge any civilization with this kind of zombie around.

Running zombies are a good compromise. They're far, far more dangerous than shambling zombies; having a turn time of a few minutes to a MAX of a few hours makes a huge difference too. Too short and it could be quarantined (28 Days Later), too long and it could be dispatched before any major uprisings happen (most zombie things).

Really in the modern zombie setting I think running zombies are almost the go-to. I wish Walking Dead's universe had running zombies for the first few weeks of being a zombie, at least; it's something they always toy with but never commit to.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes but even "running zombies" are defeated by "doors" and "walls" and "holes in teh ground"

let alone "tanks and firing lines"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If the show had 28 days later style "zombies" (even if it was only the fresh ones) I doubt any of the current characters would still be alive. Even with a military-run quarantined area in 28 weeks later they still got basically wiped out because of just one infected person getting in. They would have to treat the zombies like actual threats which would prevent them from doing any of the stupid comic book governor/negan super villain poo poo they have been focusing on lately.

That said, it would make the show better, but that is apparently counter to the show runners' goals.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If the show had 28 days later style "zombies" (even if it was only the fresh ones) I doubt any of the current characters would still be alive. Even with a military-run quarantined area in 28 weeks later they still got basically wiped out because of just one infected person getting in. They would have to treat the zombies like actual threats which would prevent them from doing any of the stupid comic book governor/negan super villain poo poo they have been focusing on lately.

That said, it would make the show better, but that is apparently counter to the show runners' goals.

I really want a show to finally ACTUALLY do the "they can run at first, but then they shamble" bullshit that's been touted around since the first Dawn of the Dead.

I mean it'd work perfectly because then you'd have the serious threat zombies (esp. in the first few weeks of the outbreak) blitzing around and going to town, and then you have the slow zombies several months in that get slower each year. You want more fresh zombies? Have some people shoot up a bunch of survivors. Bang, now you've got fast movers again. Or the occasional stray fast mover that died off camera.

There's no reason slow and fast zombies can't exist in the same thing, and in fact, it solves a lot of problems if they do.

ED: I still like the plot twist in Left 4 Dead that all the survivors that don't turn are infected carriers; that allows fast turning zombies yet STILL allow a reasonable way for them to spread past borders. Somewhere in there, between all that, there's a really refined zombie concept.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The simple truth is that there is really no situation outside of something like the effectively magical zombies of Return of the Living Dead where zombies are an existential threat to civilization, let alone humanity. At the end of the day, no matter how many of them there are, even if they can run, they are still what amounts to a massive riot without weapons or organization. Large scales riots/armies with organization and weaponry can and have been defeated. The zombie horde stands no chance. And the whole transmission thing isn't really an issue, either. If you have to get bit to turn, then there is a super drat obvious transmission vector and it is really easy to visibly tell who is and is not infected. Not to mention there are tons of materials you can wear that human teeth can not possibly bite through - plus the aforementioned issue of the humans having the benefit of ranged combat. And if the thing making the zombies is some sort of airborne disease that kills you and causes you to rise again, then its the disease and not the zombies that is the actual threat and the zombies are just kind of an annoying side-nuisance.

Honestly I think the best way to do a zombie story if you want to try for 'realism' is to just keep it small. Zombies can't be an existential threat to nations or the species, sure, but they can still gently caress over a small town, maybe even a proper city depending on the particulars. You can get a good miniseries or film out of a more contained and localized zombie outbreak.

EDIT: And all that above without mentioning non-human threats to the zombies like decay/rot and predation by animals. It is our use of tools and organization that has allowed us to survive as a species. Humans that could not use tools or work together would have been quickly eaten by wolves and poo poo. Like zombies presumably will be. Plus humans have a survival instinct zombies presumably lack.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You can get a good miniseries or film out of a more contained and localized zombie outbreak.

Have you seen R.E.C.?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Or the Santa Clarita Diet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the bigger threat from zombies would be people saying, "zombie apocalypse, woo!!" and deciding that society was over.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Or the Santa Clarita Diet?

SCD is a delightful little show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Have you seen R.E.C.?

That's my favourite zombie-style horror movie!

Quarantine, on the other hand, is just fuckin hot garbage. But so are the sequels to [REC], so :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Truant posted:

That's my favourite zombie-style horror movie!

Quarantine, on the other hand, is just fuckin hot garbage. But so are the sequels to [REC], so :shrug:

You did not just insult Rec 2. Rec 2 owns, and even retroactively improves Rec

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Them having Rick wake up Day of the Triffids style was a pretty good shout really - I can't think how they'd have made the apocalypse work otherwise unless everyone suddenly got infected at once.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You did not just insult Rec 2. Rec 2 owns, and even retroactively improves Rec

It's been a long time since I saw the second so maybe I'm misremembering. Isn't that the like super heavy religious one that ends with the protagonist(still the female reporter...?) getting pulled into the bathtub right at the end?

I know the most recent Rec movie, 4 I think it was, was just a fun romp. It was a wedding-themed one, and had a decent enough ending.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Taear posted:

Them having Rick wake up Day of the Triffids style was a pretty good shout really - I can't think how they'd have made the apocalypse work otherwise unless everyone suddenly got infected at once.

Someone (not amc) should make a series based on day of the triffids

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Someone (not amc) should make a series based on day of the triffids

There have been two mini-series and a movie

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Zombie physiology is such a magical concept. Like, if you are a disembodied zombie head, where the hell are your jaw muscles getting blood flow and depositing lactic acid? If it's screaming, where the hell is the air coming from?

I want Eugene to give a detailed brief on Zombie's, and give us detailed examples of his theories.

:intv:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the bigger threat from zombies would be people saying, "zombie apocalypse, woo!!" and deciding that society was over.

This is really it, the zombie apocalypse in my opinion could end the world (or not) due to three things.

1. The institutions that keep water, food, and the peace stable all having to try and fix things at the same time.

2. Mass hysteria on the part of people, which causes us to go to the supermarkets or loot and not only make exposure easier but also make the police and army's work harder.

3. The dead loving coming back to life is such a perversion of the natural order that people are going to be freaking out and adapting to a Walking Dead style "every death is a zombie" will be culturally hard to accept.

4. People who prepare for the world ending are just itching for the world to end, and they are far more dangerous than any zombie.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The simple truth is that there is really no situation outside of something like the effectively magical zombies of Return of the Living Dead where zombies are an existential threat to civilization, let alone humanity. At the end of the day, no matter how many of them there are, even if they can run, they are still what amounts to a massive riot without weapons or organization. Large scales riots/armies with organization and weaponry can and have been defeated. The zombie horde stands no chance. And the whole transmission thing isn't really an issue, either. If you have to get bit to turn, then there is a super drat obvious transmission vector and it is really easy to visibly tell who is and is not infected. Not to mention there are tons of materials you can wear that human teeth can not possibly bite through - plus the aforementioned issue of the humans having the benefit of ranged combat. And if the thing making the zombies is some sort of airborne disease that kills you and causes you to rise again, then its the disease and not the zombies that is the actual threat and the zombies are just kind of an annoying side-nuisance.

Honestly I think the best way to do a zombie story if you want to try for 'realism' is to just keep it small. Zombies can't be an existential threat to nations or the species, sure, but they can still gently caress over a small town, maybe even a proper city depending on the particulars. You can get a good miniseries or film out of a more contained and localized zombie outbreak.

EDIT: And all that above without mentioning non-human threats to the zombies like decay/rot and predation by animals. It is our use of tools and organization that has allowed us to survive as a species. Humans that could not use tools or work together would have been quickly eaten by wolves and poo poo. Like zombies presumably will be. Plus humans have a survival instinct zombies presumably lack.

Another thing I like from the almost hidden storyline of Left 4 Dead is the zombie virus is completely Airborne so if you're not essentially a carrier and otherwise immune you're going to get infected every time you encounter them regardless it definitely makes it a bit more plausible.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

clown shoes posted:

I'm watching it the strange reactions to the people I know are intentional but it definitely makes it a little hard to kind of settle into it. Everyone seems way too calm for what's happening but what's going on but that's partly because of the comedic style I suppose.

I'm only a few episodes in so I'm not judging anything yet of course.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm watching it the strange reactions to the people I know are intentional but it definitely makes it a little hard to kind of settle into it. Everyone seems way too calm for what's happening but what's going on but that's partly because of the comedic style I suppose.

I'm only a few episodes in so I'm not judging anything yet of course.

SCD really picks up after the 4th or 5th episode - good stuff.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kelly posted:

SCD really picks up after the 4th or 5th episode - good stuff.

Yea it gets addictive

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Like, honestly, I kind of want to see zombie media get back to the roots of what speculative fiction arguably is; the introduction of some fictional element and an examination of how the world reacts and adapts to it. The dead are rising and killing the living; how does society change in response to this? Like as batshit and goofy as the Resident Evil games are, that's something I gotta laud them for; the BSAA and poo poo of the later games; the series acknowledges that the zaniness of the zombies and other mutants have irrevocably altered the world and that Things Are Different.

Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are basically perfect for what they are and wont be topped. Romero had the right idea with Day of the Dead, as did Bannon and friends with Return of the Living Dead. "Zombie apocalypse!" is not really fertile ground anymore. Do something new and interesting.

But this is the Walking Dead so... how about that Negan guy, eh?

EDIT: I suppose what I'm getting at is that while zombies cannot be an existential threat, unless it's like a one-off outbreak that had non-reproducible factors leading to it, there is no way that the existence/threat of zombies wouldn't radically change the way human cultures and societies do things. That's interesting! Explore that!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

clown shoes posted:

I wasn't really interested in it but then I realized that one of the leads is the guy from "Justified", so I figure I'll give it a shot sooner rather than later

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SCD is great, but if you want Olyphant and zombies, the remake of The Crazies is superb. And precisely hits the "not an existential threat to humanity, but a loving nightmare if you're in the small town with the outbreak" scenario.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Why doesn't SCD have its own thread yet? Oh man that show is great! I had pretty high expectations based on the cast, and it exceeded them

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

aBagorn posted:

Why doesn't SCD have its own thread yet? Oh man that show is great! I had pretty high expectations based on the cast, and it exceeded them

There's only a relative handful of posters that like to start threads, and I guess none of them were watching the show when it came out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

aBagorn posted:

very low ROI on making a thread

Flimflam Man
Apr 18, 2007

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.

coyo7e posted:

I wasn't really interested in it but then I realized that one of the leads is the guy from "Justified", so I figure I'll give it a shot sooner rather than later

If you reference Timothy Olyphant from anything other than Deadwood there is no hope for mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Flimflam Man posted:

If you reference Timothy Olyphant from anything other than Deadwood there is no hope for mankind.

My Name is Earl.

:colbert:

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 4, 2017