Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The snitch exists so Harry can be a hero with a game winning play, it doesn't matter how the game works

This sort of thinking is responsible for all the insufferable 'magic system' dreck that gets published now that boils down to the characters rules lawyering each other around a D&D handbook.

And I like Sanderson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Rothfuss is garbage, but the Cthaeh helped inspire the Prometheus part of the below, so I forgive him a little.

https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/27/a-modern-myth/

Strategic Tea posted:

The snitch exists so Harry can be a hero with a game winning play, it doesn't matter how the game works

This sort of thinking is responsible for all the insufferable 'magic system' dreck that gets published now that boils down to the characters rules lawyering each other around a D&D handbook.

And I like Sanderson!

Garbage narrative design justifies garbage rules design, got it.

The snitch exist so that Harry can be the center of every game and make everyone else irrelevant by design, rather than through their own failures or successes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The point is the rules design is irrelevant to what the game serves to accomplish.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

anilEhilated posted:

The point is the rules design is irrelevant to what the game serves to accomplish.

The rules design is incredibly relevant to whether the game actually accomplishes that purpose. If the rules of the game were that Snape kicked every seeker in the junk as hard as he could, and the winner was the last one to scream "ow, my balls," would this accomplish Rowling's purpose if Harry had the exceptional willpower to ignore severe scrotal pain? To cretinous 11 year old boys, quite possibly.

Quidditch is just "ow, my balls" with a higher threshold of IQ and discerning taste required to call bullshit on the enterprise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
quiddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Wxhode posted:

The rules design is incredibly relevant to whether the game actually accomplishes that purpose. If the rules of the game were that Snape kicked every seeker in the junk as hard as he could, and the winner was the last one to scream "ow, my balls," would this accomplish Rowling's purpose if Harry had the exceptional willpower to ignore severe scrotal pain? To cretinous 11 year old boys, quite possibly.

Quidditch is just "ow, my balls" with a higher threshold of IQ and discerning taste required to call bullshit on the enterprise.

1) Since human civilization began we have been genital centric. Don't be such a prude. I'll kick your high horse in the dick.

2) Quidditch owns. I would watch it if it was real. It's basketball where you can't foul out the opponents and make the last 3 minutes of the game take an hour.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
More like quit it-ch.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Quidditch sounds like a lovely spectator sport.

Anyway, I think the Cthaeh scene was the only redeemable part of that book. Until I discovered it was spelled that way. Maybe it's not so unique as it sounded to me, but I thought a malicious, unseen oracle was really cool. The reader for the audiobooks used a Cheshire Cat type voice and inflection for his dialogue, too.

That doesn't even remotely making me want to forgive him for sleepaway fairy sex camp or sleepaway ninja sex camp, though. Why are all these fantasy authors constantly writing their own spank bank material???

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Malpais Legate posted:

That doesn't even remotely making me want to forgive him for sleepaway fairy sex camp or sleepaway ninja sex camp, though. Why are all these fantasy authors constantly writing their own spank bank material???
It's a fascinating question, though it isn't exclusive to genre writers by any means. The interesting angle is why editors and publishers seem to have no issues with these things. In some cases it's plausible they just didn't catch it, but WMF has no real excuse.

Are authors just very good at convincing editors the weird sex stuff is plot critical? Do publishers figure that I'd lame weird sex scenes sell romance novels they must sell other novels? Set aside why Rothfuss would write sex ninjas and ask who in the chain of publication allowed him to get to sex ninjas without stopping him.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That's always what gets me for these Bad Ideas. Not weird word choices or questionable ethics but whole plot details for sexy times in non romance novels.

It isn't that one person thought it was a good idea. It's that several people signed off on it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

GRRM wrote a sex scene between two women that described a vagina as a "Myrish swamp" but I think at that point he told his editors to go gently caress themselves and that's how that got in there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

If you don't think this is hot as hell then you can gently caress off.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

The sex ninjas are so well hidden I can't even see them!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

The sex ninjas are so well hidden I can't even see them!

You can't even see their clothes, so hot.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The kinds of dudes that enjoy fairysexninjas are inevitably the same kinds of dudes that roll their eyes and make cracks about women reading romance novels.

The difference is you won't find massive, vaguely incestuous communities devoted to insisting the latter is High Concept Literature.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reene posted:

The kinds of dudes that enjoy fairysexninjas are inevitably the same kinds of dudes that roll their eyes and make cracks about women reading romance novels.

The difference is you won't find massive, vaguely incestuous communities devoted to insisting the latter is High Concept Literature.

You should go on a field trip to some Twlight and 50 Shades of Grey communities.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Reene posted:

Hello, you must be very new to the internet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unless you've masturbated to sex ninjas it would be impossible to describe "High Concept Literature" to you.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Reene posted:

When my wife was just my girlfriend back in college, she rented an apartment that was the converted third floor of some lady's house. When she googled the lady's name before signing the lease, she found out that the woman was the number one Dark Shadows fan fiction writer on the internet.

Gender is no barrier to insanity.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

When my wife was just my girlfriend back in college, she rented an apartment that was the converted third floor of some lady's house. When she googled the lady's name before signing the lease, she found out that the woman was the number one Dark Shadows fan fiction writer on the internet.

Gender is no barrier to insanity.

I think most fan fiction writers are women particularly when you get into the sexual fan fiction. See 50 shades of grey and all.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Even with 50 Shades I haven't seen a lot of public cries of it being deep, high-concept literature, much less from other high-profile authors. It being popular isn't the same thing as people claiming (literally or figuratively) that it's the next Lord of the Rings.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Hughlander posted:

I think most fan fiction writers are women particularly when you get into the sexual fan fiction. See 50 shades of grey and all.

For every chick writing about 50 Shades of Grey there are five guys describing how pikachu's dick feels in jesse's vagina.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I assume there is high-concept romance out there just like there's a more literary end of SFF (not Kingkiller), but I can't say I've ever heard what's supposed to be in it. I guess you have to be in the circles.

Or maybe people doing that get shaded into 'literary'/'mainstream' fiction more easily, SFF and Romance aren't really similar categories other than being called 'genres'.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

For every chick writing about 50 Shades of Grey there are five guys describing how pikachu's dick feels in jesse's vagina.

Errr having been to fanfic conventions I've got to say you're really wrong. Fanfic is overwhelmingly dominated by women. Over 80% dominated.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Errr having been to fanfic conventions I've got to say you're really wrong. Fanfic is overwhelmingly dominated by women. Over 80% dominated.

I was being hyperbolic. But also, that's a false correlation. You can say that the attendance rate at fanfic conventions is heavily in favor of women, but that doesn't imply anything about the overall gender percentages of fanfic writers.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think women in general are more cognisant that their schlock is schlock and men tend to want to justify their schlock by trying to elevate its merits.

50 Shades of Grey readers aren't in a hurry to stack it next to Jane Austen but you'll see a huge amount of threads upset that literary communities doesn't take game of thrones or kingkiller seriously.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reminder for those who don't know or forgot: 50 Shades of Grey started as a Twilight fanfic.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I was being hyperbolic. But also, that's a false correlation. You can say that the attendance rate at fanfic conventions is heavily in favor of women, but that doesn't imply anything about the overall gender percentages of fanfic writers.

Okie dokie. Gotta hand it to you, you're definitely being really Rothfussian in the Rothfuss thread. A+

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

How is it a false correlation? Are you saying it's a lie, that there's data contradicting his (widespread) belief and lying eyes, or that anything that disagrees with what you believe is necessarily false?

I gather you've read a bunch of pokemon fanfic and other weird, pervy corners with lots of men, but your dismissal of the famous women-dominated fanfic smut that has been rampant since early Usenet days is pretty odd.

Syzygy Stardust fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'm pointing out that people willing to attend an event are not necessarily representative of everyone who partakes in said event. That's all.

The only other thing I said was a joke about fan fiction in general that is now being plugged as my fetish. I guess I could do worse though, I could have a platonic sex fantasy like ninjas who don't know where babies come from.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Because I feel safe to be pedantic in this thread, I want to make sure everybody knows that "high-concept" doesn't mean smart or heady even though it's often misused this way. It means that by explaining the premise of a story, you're explaining the story itself. A lot of the time it describes dumb, boring schlock. Thanks for reading my post and God bless

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
So did Rothfuss just write his Auri-stand-in character for Torment: Tides of Numenera, or did he work on the main script? Because drat, 20 minutes in and this is... Rothfussian.

"Still the attackers keep coming. They fight as if your destruction were demanded of them." Yes soldiers do fight because the destruction of the enemy IS demanded of them, that's what war is.

"The door squeaks quietly, the sound like a bell in your memory." Squeak, bell, whatever.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

StonecutterJoe posted:

So did Rothfuss just write his Auri-stand-in character for Torment: Tides of Numenera, or did he work on the main script? Because drat, 20 minutes in and this is... Rothfussian.

"Still the attackers keep coming. They fight as if your destruction were demanded of them." Yes soldiers do fight because the destruction of the enemy IS demanded of them, that's what war is.

"The door squeaks quietly, the sound like a bell in your memory." Squeak, bell, whatever.

How much of a contribution did he make to the game? Because that is painful.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Dammit I was excited about that game too, I loved Planescape.

How much of it has he mucked up? God drat does he seem to have a thing for street urchins.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Dammit I was excited about that game too, I loved Planescape.

How much of it has he mucked up? God drat does he seem to have a thing for street urchins.

The writing is thesaurus-ised to within an inch of its life, but it's much more morally murky than anything you'd expect Rothfuss to write.

And his character, Rhin, is actually really loving good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The writing is thesaurus-ised to within an inch of its life, but it's much more morally murky than anything you'd expect Rothfuss to write.

And his character, Rhin, is actually really loving good.

Hi Pat! When will the book be done?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And another thing! Musicians don't really care if someone tunes their stringed instrument because its an arbitrary process to retune it if needs be. Like its the very first thing they teach you is how to tune it. I can see getting a bit annoyed, but I'd think someone that would get mad about tuning wouldn't let someone else touch their instrument at all (I actually know a few people like this).

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

And another thing! Musicians don't really care if someone tunes their stringed instrument because its an arbitrary process to retune it if needs be. Like its the very first thing they teach you is how to tune it. I can see getting a bit annoyed, but I'd think someone that would get mad about tuning wouldn't let someone else touch their instrument at all (I actually know a few people like this).

I don't know about all that. I play guitar and split 50/50 between standard and open g tuning. It irks me when someone just starts turning tuning keys without at least asking. And if someone takes the open g guitar to standard they never put it back.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, irksome. I may be remembering incorrectly, but doesn't he say its like the worst thing you can do to a musician's instrument?

• Locked thread