Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Echoing what everyone else is saying. Robo Recall is incredible and the only knock against it is the teleport using your set forward rather than your current forward.

Between this and Super Hot Endless mode coming in the next week or two, it really feels like VR is coming into it's own finally after all the tech demos. Exclusivity sucks, but the money Oculus is spending on game development is paying off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Thank god for pro devs.

Something I notice about the Rift and Vive is that Rift's focal length is much closer than vive's. Stuff looks better the closer you get, but opposite on vive where far stuff is more effective. Hope someday we can have variable focus, awesome in that tested video Nate says they're working to push optics companies' tech roadmaps faster.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
GDC 2017: Hands-On With Microsoft’s First Windows Holographic VR Headset
https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-on-with-microsofts-first-windows-holographic-vr-headset/

Some good things, some bad things. Very much still in development.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Straight up pistols seem to be the most fun gun in RR. I think I'm just going to equip all four slots with them.

How's everyone's performance? I've noticed some framerate dips on some models and even my guns sometimes. Head movement is of course silky smooth but sometimes the actual onscreen action isn't. I'm running whatever the max settings are with a 1070.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
$99 for Touch is seriously nuts, jeez. I know someone that has a headset but not Touch, it will be interesting to see if this lowered price changes his mind.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

AndrewP posted:

Straight up pistols seem to be the most fun gun in RR. I think I'm just going to equip all four slots with them.

How's everyone's performance? I've noticed some framerate dips on some models and even my guns sometimes. Head movement is of course silky smooth but sometimes the actual onscreen action isn't. I'm running whatever the max settings are with a 1070.

As you get more unlocks you'll want a more varied loadout. There's an upgrade for the energy gun that makes it explode when you throw it so I use that to disable the orange shield guys then shotgun them in the face. Your pistols respawn quick enough that by the time I'm out of ammo I can just grab another pair. I'm looking at some of the higher scores required for all the stars and it looks crazy. Might be simple once I get used to building that combo multiplier early in the fights. The star to finish a whole mission without firing a gun makes you feel like such a badass.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also the trailer for the second episode of The Gallery is up, which apparently aims to be six hours long - SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE FIRST EP. IMMEDIATELY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJxaiMgmXQ

I'm hype

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You are constantly being reminded to move around in Robo Recall, and I tend to stand in one spot until I'm prompted to move. I think a lot of it is the weird teleportation-facing problem that was previously mentioned - constantly having to transpose your orientation with the new spot just discourages moving altogether. Can't tell you how many times I teleport only to be facing nothing and having the guys I thought I was about to ambush actually be behind me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just watched the tested video. Kind of disappointed that Oculus seems to be doubling down on Constellation. The simplicity of setup is nice, but needing lots of USB ports is terrible. Lighthouse was finicky at first but it seems like it's the clear winner. Maybe we'll be able to attach a tracker to the rift headstrap, lol.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well on the plus side, if they ever need more than 2, you can see the adoption of USB-C 3.1 stuff ending up with a Oculus USB hub and having all the cameras plug into that, then into a single port.

Then 1 bad cable and, Poof.... All up in smoke.

In other news..... V may possibly have Netflix and Amazon Video support among other things in the next version.... So yea. The Grand Tour in VR while flying scan missions in Elite, aww yea.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I snagged a Daydream View today. Pretty cool, but there's a pretty irritating bug going on - my view keeps drifting to the right, even when I'm stationary, watching a video. I saw a suggestion that it's a low battery issue, so I'm charging everything right now. I'm gonna give it another whirl in a bit, but if it persists, back to Best Buy it goes.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

So I snagged a Daydream View today. Pretty cool, but there's a pretty irritating bug going on - my view keeps drifting to the right, even when I'm stationary, watching a video. I saw a suggestion that it's a low battery issue, so I'm charging everything right now. I'm gonna give it another whirl in a bit, but if it persists, back to Best Buy it goes.

This is a fundamental issue with their gyro drift correction. It's an issue with all orientation only devices (Gear, Cardboard, Daydream), but the software should be doing correction. I'm biased but GearVR handles it fairly well, haven't tried a Daydream though. Possible there might be a calibration procedure you need to perform?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ok, I know this is probably old hat to you folks who have had VR for months now, but Google Earth VR!
Just the scale of everything.

And I guess The Lab's pretty fun too.

I also played through Call of the Starseed and it's short but cool.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

WaterIsPoison posted:

This is a fundamental issue with their gyro drift correction. It's an issue with all orientation only devices (Gear, Cardboard, Daydream), but the software should be doing correction. I'm biased but GearVR handles it fairly well, haven't tried a Daydream though. Possible there might be a calibration procedure you need to perform?

I tried recalibrating the gyros/magnetometers(sp?) via the Maps "figure 8" thing. That's the only calibration thing I can find. All I can do is recenter the view every 30 seconds. Hell, play a round of PolyRunner and I have to recenter. Not impressed at all, glad I got the viewer from a local store rather than online.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I have a daydream and pixel XL, and it has that issue, except it needs to recenter every 5-10 min, not 30 sec. That definitely seems like an issue.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I got myself a Vive yesterday, any recommendations on what I should install/buy/experience for sure?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

So I got myself a Vive yesterday, any recommendations on what I should install/buy/experience for sure?

Audioshield is a must, I don't think it's possible not to enjoy it. It's a music rhythm game where you punch balls, similar in concept to Audiosurf (made by the same dude).

Climbey is a lot of fun, it's essentially a rock climbing game. Graphically simple but has a great sense of scale. It has interesting movement mechanics too, though some find them a little nausea inducing.

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter is a port of the HD version of the original Serious Sam. It's a pretty simple shooter but does a good job demonstrating how well a FPS game could work when ported to VR.

Thumper is a mind nightmare of the best kind. It's playable in 2D too but VR makes it far more of a nightmare in a good way. In a bad way. But good.

Install ReVive and get SuperHot from the Oculus store. It runs perfectly on the Vive and is probably the best VR game I've played, though it is pretty short.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SwissCM posted:

Audioshield is a must, I don't think it's possible not to enjoy it. It's a music rhythm game where you punch balls, similar in concept to Audiosurf (made by the same dude).

Climbey is a lot of fun, it's essentially a rock climbing game. Graphically simple but has a great sense of scale. It has interesting movement mechanics too, though some find them a little nausea inducing.

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter is a port of the HD version of the original Serious Sam. It's a pretty simple shooter but does a good job demonstrating how well a FPS game could work when ported to VR.

Thumper is a mind nightmare of the best kind. It's playable in 2D too but VR makes it far more of a nightmare in a good way. In a bad way. But good.

Install ReVive and get SuperHot from the Oculus store. It runs perfectly on the Vive and is probably the best VR game I've played, though it is pretty short.

Sadly my superhot key doesn't work anymore because apparently i didn't register it soon enough or some bullshit.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Were they giving out Superhot VR keys at some point that I missed? Because regular Superhot is a separate game and owning one does not get you the other.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Robot Recall was released with full source with the mod kit. Someone will put out a version that works native with Vive shortly I'm sure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Helter Skelter posted:

Were they giving out Superhot VR keys at some point that I missed? Because regular Superhot is a separate game and owning one does not get you the other.

I was a kickstarter backer and they sent me an email with a key to redeem in the oculus store. Since I didn't own any HMD I didn't bother getting the software installed just to redeem it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Imagine superhot VR but with wireless, a huge room and a padded floor. I'd be diving for days.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

I was a kickstarter backer and they sent me an email with a key to redeem in the oculus store. Since I didn't own any HMD I didn't bother getting the software installed just to redeem it.

Check any emails you got to see if there was a time limit on redeeming the key. If not, ask for a new one.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Cojawfee posted:

Check any emails you got to see if there was a time limit on redeeming the key. If not, ask for a new one.

Did both of those things.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SEKCobra posted:

Google Earth VR is an awesome experience.
The archery in The Lab is fun.
Redeem the code for Call of the Starseed that came with your Vive. It's short but cool.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

SEKCobra posted:

BigScreen, Rec Room, VRchat, Water Bears,

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rec room
hotdogs horseshoes and handgrenades (but watch the tutorial on youtube)
climbey

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Use the bundle key that came with the Vive, get Rec Room, and go to itch.io and download GORN. Decent VR starter pack for $0.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Robo Recall is free to all Vive and Rift users via the Epic games launcher. Just click Modding and then click Robo Recall. Instructions here. I knew their model was a bit weird on Oculus Home.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I heard Epic is releasing the source code of Robo Recall. Is that included in the download in the epic launcher?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I would assume so. Mods have already been made, probably from that? I'm honestly not all too clued up on it, haven't had the chance to try out Robo Recall yet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bremen posted:

I have to agree with Swiss, for the most part. I'm a Vive owner and love mine, but if someone asked for a recommendation for purchasing a headset today I'd probably suggest the Rift. The exception would be if they had plenty of money and a huge space (like, 15'+), and even then I'd probably be kind of split.

I think Vive is still preferable in those niche cases , but with that price drop it's definitely relegated to those niches. I'm happy I got the vive because I have a huge space, and once the wireless kit comes out it's only going to get bigger, but I honestly could not recommend it to anyone else I know right now.

AndrewP posted:

Robo Recall is cool poo poo. They've basically removed every obstacle most shooters have and tried to make you feel as badass as possible. The point of this game is not really to avoid dying - it's to kill as many dudes as possible while looking as cool as you can. Easily the best shooter I've played, a standout title so far.

I was ignoring this because I see robo recall and all I can think is "ugh, I'm so sick of shooters" - but the most satisfying shooters in VR are definitely the ones like SuperHot that feel like pure badass power fantasy, so this makes me consider it.

SEKCobra posted:

GORN
Rec Room
Job Sim
Unseen Diplomacy
SuperHot VR

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Robo Recall is free to all Vive and Rift users via the Epic games launcher. Just click Modding and then click Robo Recall. Instructions here. I knew their model was a bit weird on Oculus Home.

Okay, I'm getting it. Wow.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 2, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not only that, but it's one of the few clear AAA games VR has. This thing is beautiful and polished like you'd expect a new IP from Epic to be, and far and above most VR software so far.

I buy a lot of dumb poo poo for VR but this one is a no-brainer.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Picked up the rift at the local Best Buy, just tried Robo Recall so far (though I have a DK2, so I've played lots of non Touch things).
Surprisingly, the front ports on my computer are USB 3.0, so I actually have plenty of those. Might pick up that 3rd sensor and see how it works, then worry about longer cables/active cables/pcie card as needed.

So is the Serious Sam combo worth the $60 they want? Always enjoyed those games, though it is a steep price for something I've bought twice and 1 that seems like it is just a wave shooter.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Haven't tried Serious Sam but I would probably pick up a third sensor. I found the tracking on two sensors lacking for 360-degree play. Plus it just dropped to $60 and comes with an extension USB.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

eonwe posted:

rec room
hotdogs horseshoes and handgrenades (but watch the tutorial on youtube)
climbey

H3VR tutorial video seems quite outdated, he seems to have changed the gun interactions to click and slide. Also some safeties just don't seem to work. Still hasn't fixed the AUG either.

Rec Room is amazing holy gently caress.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

homeless snail posted:

If nothing else, the LG headset looks loving sick. And I thought the Vive was cyberpunk

That looks really front-heavy. And I already thought the Vive was noticeable.

Poetic Justice posted:

$99 for Touch is seriously nuts, jeez. I know someone that has a headset but not Touch, it will be interesting to see if this lowered price changes his mind.

Holy hell, yes. The Touch controllers are frickin' amazing. I'm actually going to be disappointed when a new tracking standard comes along and I have to ditch them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
gently caress, i hit one of my controllers really hard while playing Rec Room there's a deep cut that even reaches into one of the tracking dots :saddowns:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

That looks really front-heavy. And I already thought the Vive was noticeable.

That shouldn't be a problem; it's using the PSVR's strap design, so the weight should be much better distributed than it is on the Vive or Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Son of a bitch I already paid the thirty for robot recall do I could play it on the Vive. :mad: