Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Please rate the pet/animal companion aspects of Horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please rate the pet/animal companion aspects of Horizon

Pretty basic, you can hack robots to make them friendly. Some of them you can ride, some run off and cause havoc.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

lets hang out posted:

I don't know if you can hide it but you can just change it. You aren't obligated to give your ps4 your real name.

It just came up automatically after connecting to my PSN account. I don't remember when I attached my name, but I thought it was necessary information for making purchases (as part of the billing information). I guess I can try removing it later when I get home and see what happens.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I started playing Horizon and I can already tell that every minute I am listening to someone talk instead of hunting robots is going to be a minute I wish I was hunting robots instead.

Kind of disappointed to hear that. USGamer didn't think very highly of it, and I was looking forward to it when I heard John Gonzales (who did some of the writing for Fallout: New Vegas) was working on it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 2, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I found the story to be pretty good so far and the facial animations to be on par with Witcher 2's. Not good but serviceable. It's pretty much the only part of the game that's really lacking, in my opinion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

It just came up automatically after connecting to my PSN account. I don't remember when I attached my name, but I thought it was necessary information for making purchases (as part of the billing information). I guess I can try removing it later when I get home and see what happens.

Kind of disappointed to hear that. USGamer didn't think very highly of it, and I was looking forward to it when I heard John Gonzales (who did some of the writing for Fallout: New Vegas) was working on it.
It's just...for a game where your player character is an outcast who people are forbidden to talk to, there's a lot of talking for her to do. A lot of it is to herself which I guess I can understand, but still...

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

veni veni veni posted:

Tearaway was actually pretty good from what I played of it on Vita. Never finished it though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Tearaway is great and a good way to tell if you have a heart, or a cold soulless void where your heart should be, for that is true if you do not like it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Tearaway is great and a good way to tell if you have a heart, or a cold soulless void where your heart should be, for that is true if you do not like it

You're posting this on Somethingawful.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really liked the Tearaway demo on Vita, it was so cute and creative! For some reason playing it on PS4 felt empty.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I liked playing Tearaway on the Vita because the sun's smiling face was your own smiling face

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yes, I liked that a lot too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You're posting this on Somethingawful.

Astonishingly it works even here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it made good use of the vita gimmicks. Probably play t there if you can it's like 5 bucks.i might try it again on PS4 though. I lost my vita copy eons ago.

Anyways I'm finding it weird that the story is a common complaint in horizon. Frankly so far it's one of the more interesting video game stories I've played in a good long while. Granted I'm maybe 5 hours in so I have no idea if it goes downhill but I feel like a lot of complaints are knee jerk reactions to the first hour or so. Which I didn't even think was bad but it did take a bit to pick up steam.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it made good use of the vita gimmicks. Probably play t there if you can it's like 5 bucks.i might try it again on PS4 though. I lost my vita copy eons ago.

Anyways I'm finding it weird that the story is a common complaint in horizon. Frankly so far it's one of the more interesting video game stories I've played in a good long while. Granted I'm maybe 5 hours in so I have no idea if it goes downhill but I feel like a lot of complaints are knee jerk reactions to the first hour or so. Which I didn't even think was bad but it did take a bit to pick up steam.
Yeah, I could only play for an hour or so before work so you're probably right, but I personally think the first hour should have some of the best and most exciting material of the game while lots of devs are ok with it being boring and talky.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's just...for a game where your player character is an outcast who people are forbidden to talk to, there's a lot of talking for her to do. A lot of it is to herself which I guess I can understand, but still...

They resolve that within a few hours of the game starting.

And Aloy has a chip on her shoulder about how she was treated and goes out of her way to make sure she doesn't continue the cycle and treat others poorly. These are concepts that come up more than a few times in the first couple of hours and I'm not sure how that reviewer missed them.

Also being confused as to why a video game character would go on side quests is just lol

e: also early on it's kind of established that your tribe is considered to be a bunch of weirdos

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Once the actual story kicks off, it's not like, mind blowingly original, mostly looks like it's a heros journey thing mixed with revenge, but there are tons of details about the world and main character that I genuinely find interesting and want to find out about. It's pretty well put together too. I don't find it dull at all.

I actually am finding myself exhausting dialog options which I almost never do i games.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I thought the initial story was corny and terrible (still do) but it has its hooks in me now (level 18). The first part gave me bad flashbacks of Assassin's Creed 3.

It's not revolutionary stuff but well above average.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The first part gave me bad flashbacks of Assassin's Creed 3.

Haha I can see that a bit but it gets past that in about a fifth of the time. Man was AssCreed 3 long and slooooow.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah I thought the initial story was corny and terrible (still do) but it has its hooks in me now (level 18). The first part gave me bad flashbacks of Assassin's Creed 3.

It's not revolutionary stuff but well above average.

I see what you did there...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yodzilla posted:

Haha I can see that a bit but it gets past that in about a fifth of the time. Man was AssCreed 3 long and slooooow.

Assassin's Creed 3 has all of two good parts; The Homestead sidequests, and the Naval sidequests.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You also get a Scorpion style GET OVER HERE spear which is dumb and kinda funny. But yeah I loving hated that game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
3 introduced me to that axe that is shaped like a rifle butt which is pretty cool.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Counterpoint: Tearaway was cloyingly precious and not very fun to play.

Much like all of Media Molecule's games.

Horizon is very pretty and I wish someone would just make Zelda. Well, someone aside from Nintendo. The first Darksiders was the last real zelda-style game I played.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

3 introduced me to that axe that is shaped like a rifle butt which is pretty cool.

:black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhrg6SH9yvE

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo what a terrible action sequence.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How long does it usually take Sony to push out system updates? Been waiting to use an external HD.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

How long does it usually take Sony to push out system updates? Been waiting to use an external HD.

1-2 months after the beta launched usually.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo what a terrible action sequence.

Get the gently caress out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Get the gently caress out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Still getting acquainted with the PS4 Pro. Is it okay to leave the console on sleep mode for a long time, or is it safer to shut it down completely? One of the things I remember hearing about the PS4 is that you can leave it running and pick up your game instantly from where you left off. However, it seems like it would cause problems with performance after some point.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Max Wilco posted:

Still getting acquainted with the PS4 Pro. Is it okay to leave the console on sleep mode for a long time, or is it safer to shut it down completely? One of the things I remember hearing about the PS4 is that you can leave it running and pick up your game instantly from where you left off. However, it seems like it would cause problems with performance after some point.

Rest mode owns, rest that poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are people really stingy enough with their electricity bill that not using rest mode will make a significant difference? Calculations I read put it at like ten dollars a year if it was in rest mode 24/7 the whole time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 2, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My electricity bill ($42 Cdn per month) doesn't even keep up with inflation no matter what I do. It's the only good thing about never ending rain.

Oh and really good tap water I guess, from the same spot.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I use rest mode all the time. But the one thing that makes me consider shutting it off, is that if a power outage happens. It's not shut down properly,

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Leave it on rest mode all the time. Rest it up real good

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are people really stingy enough with their electricity bill that not using rest mode will make a significant difference? Calculations I read put it at like ten dollars a year if it was in rest mode 24/7 the whole time.

I wasn't thinking of power consumption. What I meant was having the system or a game running for too long would cause slowdown or performance issues.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bloodborne used to have a fun bug where leaving the game in rest mode for several hours would cut the enemy AI, so bosses would just a single attack over and over again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I wasn't thinking of power consumption. What I meant was having the system or a game running for too long would cause slowdown or performance issues.
If it's a game which stays connected to the internet rest mode will probably disconnect it, but other than that...

It seems like a kind of paranoid thing to worry about to me, especially since sleep has been a standard feature in PCs for like 20 years.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

poptart_fairy posted:

Bloodborne used to have a fun bug where leaving the game in rest mode for several hours would cut the enemy AI, so bosses would just a single attack over and over again.

For a more malicious example, WWE 2K17 once had a bug that would wipe all save data for all of your games from your hard drive if you put the game into rest mode with it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Some games threw graphic glitches at me after letting it in rest mode for weeks.