Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fintilgin posted:

Seeing as how I'm too much of a goody-two-shoes to ever actually have HAD a slave in Stellaris, I should clearly leave advice on them to others. :v:

Yeah I always feel bad about it since slavery is immoral. Thus the only solution is to purge all the inferior xeno scum so that I'm not tempted into enslaving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darth Windu posted:

Just checked, it isn't

Maybe because im not collectivist?

I don't recall all the rules off hand any more but so long as you could enable slavery I thought it would give you the option.

Just did a quick check of the wiki and the option should be there as "Reproduction Prohibited" for both Full and Regulated slavery types. Doesn't appear to be gated behind any ethos, either so long as you can enslave other POPs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I tried slaves once and I didn't get the use. They produce less than a happy citizen or a robot, no thanks. That was the mid-level slavery though through xenophobe, which really seems like a worst of both world situations. All the slave penalties but without the mineral production bonus.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

When can we castrate and blind slave pops, Wiz?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I prefer the term internship.

I don't like slaves as currently implemented, but Utopia did hint at a pretty good way of handling them, so I may have to take another gander when that happens.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

canepazzo posted:

good point, for a paradox game stellaris is very lacking in proper byzantine empire mechanics

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

canepazzo posted:

Do you know how much processing power it would take to constantly check every pop in the galaxy to castrate them or not??

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Do you know how much processing power it would take to constantly check every pop in the galaxy to castrate them or not??

Just castrate everyone as default and save time

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

good point, for a paradox game stellaris is very lacking in proper byzantine empire mechanics

*Fixed bug where AI would check to see if they could castrate every sentient being in galaxy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really shouldn't have looked up what this was right before going to bed

Wow yeah those dudes are hosed up.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

*Fixed bug where AI would check to see if they could castrate every sentient being in galaxy

byzantium fell because 15th century processors just couldn't keep up with all those castration checks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Plz wiz I'll pay for a synthetic art pack. We seriously need more distinct art for robots/droids/synths and maybe a robot per general species type. Why all robuts gotta be humanoids??

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Plz wiz I'll pay for a synthetic art pack. We seriously need more distinct art for robots/droids/synths and maybe a robot per general species type. Why all robuts gotta be humanoids??
Yeah, that was my thought at that tweet- cool feature, but mostly a reminder that humanoid-only robots are lame as heck, especially when you can replace your species with them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to be a totally non-humanoid robbit like a Meklon or something

The new moo classic has some really cool classic inspired art too with an art deco theme

It's a total fan project with a guy paying for pro art, he also seems to really get what makes a 4x good.
https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/

"Remember that time when an AI made a request or an offer to you, that you refused, and then they asked again? And again? And again? Diplomatic spamming does not occur in every game but, when it does, it’s extremely annoying. Some players solve this problem by turning off diplomacy entirely and waging all-out war

How I addressed this: AI diplomats have a memory. If one asks to trade the Deflector Shields IV technology for Controlled Radiated Environment and you refuse, it permanently stores that and will never ask again. Your refusal may not have a negative diplomatic effect, but it force you to re-initiate that particular request if you change your mind. This applies to all diplomatic requests."

Man Stellaris really needs something like this, maybe my event bar wouldn't be spammed non-stop with migration and defense pact requests.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 2, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd be satisfied with a hook in the portraits file that let you specify what file is used for robots for your species. A flag something like 'has trait_robotic', then all robots you build - and consequently, your upgraded species - can look how you specify. If you don't have something specified, it'd use the default robot. Off the top of my head, that's the easiest and fastest way to implement something like this.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Another vote for a robo-art pack. Especially if you get to pick your robo-design when you first build robots.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Robot art would be great. Blorg robots. :3:

What's the point in turning your pops into robots if you don't go full killbots with them?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Or if there isn't the time or budget to do this, at least put in something so that mods can give you other portrait options.

But I would also really like for there to be more robot variety now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'd also pay money for a fully featured mechanoids pack.

But one of them has to be the space helmet parrots, only it's like an empty suit now with electric lights dancing over the helmet faceplate to form the visage of a parrot or something.

e: :parrot:

e2: I will also pay for kakapo avians.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Making a robot portrait for every single species portrait would probably kill the artists.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
They don't need to do a mechanoid version of every single portrait in the game, but a couple portraits for each type of species would be nice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anticheese posted:

I'd also pay money for a fully featured mechanoids pack.

But one of them has to be the space helmet parrots, only it's like an empty suit now with electric lights dancing over the helmet faceplate to form the visage of a parrot or something.

e: :parrot:

e2: I will also pay for kakapo avians.
No it should be a parrot robot with a helmet. :colbert:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A parrot with a scouter or no deal.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
At the very least, having different robot portraits for Mammalian/Reptilian/Anthropoid/Insectoid/Fungoid//Molluscoid/Plantoid would be cool.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Pretty sure you gotta be at full slavery and not wussy regulated to get the major bonus.

Baronjutter posted:

I tried slaves once and I didn't get the use. They produce less than a happy citizen or a robot, no thanks. That was the mid-level slavery though through xenophobe, which really seems like a worst of both world situations. All the slave penalties but without the mineral production bonus.
Slavery only works for collectivists, as they don't mind being enslaved. If you're collectivist, decadent is an easy trait to take, as you then just have to enslave your first colonist, after which you can do whatever.

And yes, decadent pops are fine and dandy if the only enslaved pop is themselves. They care not who is enslaved, just that someone is.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'd go with Modrons, personally.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It would be neat to have some clearly non-humanoid portraits as well. I think having a variety of robots as opposed to one for x species group would be good.

But yeah, making a one to one version would be too much work. Robots are not so prevalent that they need that much variety, but some world be good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah, chiming in as the whateverth person to say that we don't need a robot version of EVERY portrait. One per species group would be great, but it gets a little murky with regards to the Plantoid DLC and all. Hell, just make 5 or 6 different portraits and let us pick which one when we build our first robot or whatever.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'd like for there to ideally be one robot per type of species group. Why would plantoids be making mammalian looking robots, other than to ruin my immersion :mad:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even just 4 or so shapes would work. So many races in the game are generally humanoid in shape, from mamalians to humanoids to reptilians and a bunch of others. A head, 2 arms, generally similar torso. Just need some weird bug-like robots or vaguely mollusk looking bots. They don't even have to be an obvious nod to any of the existing portraits, just some variety in style and body shape.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't recall all the rules off hand any more but so long as you could enable slavery I thought it would give you the option.

Just did a quick check of the wiki and the option should be there as "Reproduction Prohibited" for both Full and Regulated slavery types. Doesn't appear to be gated behind any ethos, either so long as you can enslave other POPs.

am I going nuts here or...??

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I'm gonna make a Xenophobic Human faction that use the fact every race builds humanoid robots to support their sense of superiority.

All surrounded by these aliens gotta overcome their own poo poo-tier anatomical layouts, poor fuckers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's so depressing to look at a planet in my sectors or owned by the AI that's almost totally empty. I really wish that'd get fixed.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darth Windu posted:

Should be another tab called 'Slave Procreation' next to the slave tab:

That's from a Fanatic Collectivist, Spiritualist empire. Perhaps you do need to be one or the other?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I've been playing on 1000 star galaxies because my computer can handle it (for the most part), but it occurs to me that the game is probably balanced around the medium setting. Is that true, and is the game improved somehow when you play with a small galaxy vs a larger one?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Should be another tab called 'Slave Procreation' next to the slave tab:

That's from a Fanatic Collectivist, Spiritualist empire. Perhaps you do need to be one or the other?

Is there a tech I'm missing maybe?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Is there a tech I'm missing maybe?
or maybe, just maybe, you are regulating your slavery to a more humane format which disables the option to stop them loving

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

or maybe, just maybe, you are regulating your slavery to a more humane format which disables the option to stop them loving

How is it inhumane to stop people from procreating

My empire look like a dong

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

How is it inhumane to stop people from procreating

My empire look like a dong

I'm struggling to explain to someone how stopping people loving is inhumane without just using :goonsay: but instead

just run this from the console: free_policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Darth Windu posted:

Poked around a bit and it looks like it's not available with regulated slavery, only full (whether xeno or all pops).

• Locked thread