Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hyperion Chapter One:

Keats keats keats keats keats keats keats keats keats. Keats keats keats keats! Keats skeated "keats keats keats keats keats?!" Keats rekeated "keats, lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

did anyone see the top news story on the NYT about how Obama intentionally hid info about Trump's ties to Russia across different agencies so that the new administration couldn't get their hands on it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

White people tomato rice or a good Mexican style rice?

it comes from a youtube video that claims it was a ~*viral~* thing on chinese internet so idk where that fits in yr schema

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
This Day In History - March 1st, 2016

Donald Trump wins big on Super Tuesday:

quote:

“Candidates who have not yet won a state, who have not racked up significant delegates, I ask you to prayerfully consider our coming together, uniting,” Mr. Cruz told supporters here at the Redneck Country Club.

The message seemed directed particularly at Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who is vying with Mr. Cruz to emerge as the chief alternative to Mr. Trump. (Mr. Rubio had not won a state but was leading the Minnesota caucuses with about half of the results tallied.)

Even before Tuesday night, Mr. Cruz had made the case that he was the only candidate who had beaten — and could beat — Mr. Trump. The night’s results quickly amplified this message in a victory speech aimed squarely at those seeking to take down Mr. Trump.

“Tomorrow morning, we have a choice,” Mr. Cruz said. “So long as the field remains divided, Donald Trump’s path to the nomination remains more likely. And that will be a disaster for Republicans.”

:allears:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

back in 2003 me and my other pubescent homies thought that this was cool af and not at all horrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elj2m1x-oEk

It's strange how much a person can change in a lifetime

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Keats rekeated "keats, lol"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Who was the cuckiest Hyperion character?

I'm gonna say Hoyt because he knew what was up and got cruciformed anyway and his opposite in his story is just so, so much more metal and cooler than he is

The shrike is getting cucked by the big spiky tree disconnected from time or space altogether.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dolash posted:

If it takes you 55 years to look up "deontology" you might want to leave philosophy to the big boys.

I mean gently caress there's room to march a small army through "innocent human being" alone.

the examination of abrahams dilemma in hyperion and its implications for organized religion viz. Chsirtianity is one of the most fascinating things ive ever read

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Baloogan posted:

Hyperion Chapter One:

Keats keats keats keats keats keats keats keats keats. Keats keats keats keats! Keats skeated "keats keats keats keats keats?!" Keats rekeated "keats, lol"

welp tahts another series im throwing out because loog is reading it now

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Hyperion Chapter One:

Skeat skeat skeat

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

welp tahts another series im throwing out because loog is reading it now

hahahaha

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/837131326599876612?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

The shrike is getting cucked by the big spiky tree disconnected from time or space altogether.

nah its definitely hoyt

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also, shut up bip, ehf is reading

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/837132810204954630

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
That was disgusting wtf

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hope Trump enjoyed his positive news cycle!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

oh there was intel it jsut happened to be a youtube video that has been online for a decade

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ex post facho posted:

nah its definitely hoyt

I'm glad to know my cuckdar is still operating at full efficiency

I can walk into a crowd and spread my hands Neo-like and immediately home in on the biggest goddamned cuck in the lot

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ah, sessions lied about russian connections? well, well, well.

gather round youngins. i have a tale t' tell ye...

code:
n  o t    h  ing m  a   t  t     er        s

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Sir that article's from january

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
pfft, more Russia news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgCLMI3fgn0

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

a helpful bear posted:

code:
n  o t    h  ing m  a   t  t     er        s

we should all rally around this principle

make sure the republicans get their way

FULL FASCISM NOW

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

im not trying to call you out specifically but this is as good a prompt as any to mention that its crazy af that people are demanding like perfect purity from their news sources

its ok for a news source to have blah politics in editorial if they report useful news. wsj is a pee hole trash fire in editorial but until v recently they were a good outlet to check out. like anything w a reputation of the magnitude of the nyt, the times falls short of its reputation, but its still one of the best print news sources you as an american can check out. the times sunday magazine also has the most hilariously bougie regular features in the known universe and theyre so bad they just crash thru the satirizability barrier and become inherently funny. wapo is also good, and that makes me super happy. the guardian is in bitter and catty bad breakup tears mode about brexit but thats totes improved them because their pass-agg efforts to tell british people to regret brexit have made for thorough reporting on every goddamn lil detail of what is or could soon be happening wrt that process

if their sources are both broad and deep, their journalism is rigorous, and they report poo poo that other sources cant discover or wont report—thats good news. fundamental philosophical/political disagreements dont negate the value of those things. as an adult you can develop yr critical reading to recognize where bias seems to influence the presentation of a story, and not find yr mind suddenly trapped in a neocapitalist gently caress-bubble gettin pounded in the mouth by demonic laissez-faire man-scorpions for eternity.

take it from someone who spent an eternity digging thru other peoples religious ideas and writings and cultures, its possible to bury yrself under mountains of bad ideologies and not end up believing them. its also possible to read a biased af accounting of something and use it as a springboard to look for a less propagandistical accounting, and end up enriched by the experience. iranaeus catalogued a bunch of heresies w less than perfect concern for accuracy but adversus is still the best fuckin compendium of early Christian heterodoxy

now im talking a lot about newspapers up there, and newspapers are bar none the most romantic form of reporting that we have as mass media, but it applies to uh all of them. john oliver is cool and good because he presents longform television reporting in a digestible pop manner, which will engage people more than dry reporting and so serve the public interest well more than his failure to agitate for bolshevist uprising will hurt same. megyn kelly is deeply objectively flawed but excellent as an adversarial interviewer—as long as you dont take her as fuckin gospel or yr only/main source of news. rachel maddow, is good

in conclusion read longform and propublica listen to podcasts keep yr wits about you san dimas high school football rules

adding to what squizzle said here, it is useful to remember (when you see people responding to everyday newspaper posts with "what happened to investigative reporting?!") that investigative reporters have always turned in a handful of stories a month at most, often with lots of advertising of their investigative report ahead of time, but their employer always had to put out a paper every day while waiting for the next big investigative piece. this is not different from how it "used to be"

also reporters on a newspaper see themselves as a team (that's maybe why they refer to themselves as being "on" their newspaper) so when you see things like the people asking fruitless questions to spicey every day, the truth is they think of themselves as being one part of a larger organization bringing you the presidential news, along with their teammates bringing you leaks from "senior administration officials", and their teammates doing on-the-ground reporting with folks around the country, and their investigative teammates preparing the report that might come out two weeks from now, etc

to some extent that is a relic from the day when most people would usually take one newspaper a day and would read the whole thing and get the full perspective from different reporters, so it's different when people click around to different news sources throughout the day now, but i think it's a tough problem to figure out how to reorganize

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Agrajag posted:

oh there was intel it jsut happened to be a youtube video that has been online for a decade

The ultimate irony: the only intel they found was a backup of the Benghazi youtube video, which they watch occasionally to psyche themselves up for an attack.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
the russia stuff is so sad, no one is ever going to believe it and it reeks of desperation. people unironically thing the first thing trump and his elected cabinent members did upon winning was to call their russian masters and start scheming or whatever just might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Scent of Worf posted:

Sir that article's from january
:thejoke:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

did anyone see the top news story on the NYT about how Obama intentionally hid info about Trump's ties to Russia across different agencies so that the new administration couldn't get their hands on it

he could have just hidden itn in a binder on the oval office desk that said "How to be President: A 30 Page Guide to Governing" and it would still be hident to this tday

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
your posting is the dumbest thing ive ever read mnoba, and ive read zegermans posts

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

tacodaemon posted:

adding to what squizzle said here, it is useful to remember (when you see people responding to everyday newspaper posts with "what happened to investigative reporting?!") that investigative reporters have always turned in a handful of stories a month at most, often with lots of advertising of their investigative report ahead of time, but their employer always had to put out a paper every day while waiting for the next big investigative piece. this is not different from how it "used to be"

also reporters on a newspaper see themselves as a team (that's maybe why they refer to themselves as being "on" their newspaper) so when you see things like the people asking fruitless questions to spicey every day, the truth is they think of themselves as being one part of a larger organization bringing you the presidential news, along with their teammates bringing you leaks from "senior administration officials", and their teammates doing on-the-ground reporting with folks around the country, and their investigative teammates preparing the report that might come out two weeks from now, etc

to some extent that is a relic from the day when most people would usually take one newspaper a day and would read the whole thing and get the full perspective from different reporters, so it's different when people click around to different news sources throughout the day now, but i think it's a tough problem to figure out how to reorganize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Obama was, in a lot of ways, a total loving idiot moron, and my overall positive remembrance of him is in no way softening my desire to purge all centrists and technocrats from the party by force

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mnoba posted:

i am a sniveling putin boot licking retard

nice hot take

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mnoba posted:

the russia stuff is so sad, no one is ever going to believe it and it reeks of desperation. people unironically thing the first thing trump and his elected cabinent members did upon winning was to call their russian masters and start scheming or whatever just might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

holy poo poo lol this is gross

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this will be me when the nukes are goin off

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frankly, I do not want Obama working on the downticket because I don't trust him to pick the right people and he had his chance once already and failed

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

also support propublica which does great investigative reporting and is backed largely by herb sandler's foundation that has been targeted by those pizzagate idiots

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Epic High Five posted:

Frankly, I do not want Obama working on the downticket because I don't trust him to pick the right people and he had his chance once already and failed

but what else is he supposed to do with all that political capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mnoba posted:

are... you... a... twitter egg?

• Locked thread