Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
When your favorite youtuber plays Siege :swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqgJ4aTsXv4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

He's been playing Siege for awhile now. Whenever he needs a team killing clip it's either Siege or BF4.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
you should watch every single video on that channel in a chronological order

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I hate the irons in this game

The ironsights aren't bad, it's the fact that the player models seem to blend in. I run almost all ACOG on guns that can use them because I just don't see people most of the time especially down long corridors or into other rooms. Like I watched the clips Jehde posted and I didn't even see the guy in the second clip.

What I'm trying to say is if there was a mountable flashlight I'd use that on every gun, it would be the single handiest attachment in the game for checking dark corners or seeing into dark rooms from outside in daylight.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jehde posted:

Any sort of sight attachment just fucks with your peripheral vision so I stick to iron sights

Maybe there are some exceptions but I pretty strongly disagree with this on the whole. You sacrifice some peripheral vision (not even that much unless you're using a holo or acog though) to gain way more vision of what you're actually looking at; most of the ironsights have a bunch of extra poo poo stuck running down the length of the gun, whereas the sights are just dots.

For attachments I mostly use the flash hider for the extra visibility, but also because I'm too lazy to experiment. Then suppressors on pistols to shoot gadgets and cameras stealthily, plus I'm not pro enough to pick a pistol attachment with kills in mind.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
you're a world class fully trained operator with laser accuracy on the first shot 100% of the time so i really think its just personal preference

except the russian reflex sights are just objectively the best in the game :smug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Koramei posted:

Maybe there are some exceptions but I pretty strongly disagree with this on the whole. You sacrifice some peripheral vision (not even that much unless you're using a holo or acog though) to gain way more vision of what you're actually looking at; most of the ironsights have a bunch of extra poo poo stuck running down the length of the gun, whereas the sights are just dots.

I much prefer to have a little obfuscation close to where I'm aiming rather than any obfuscation on the periphery, much easier to manage multiple angles that way. It may seem unintuitive at first but peripheral vision is much more important than what you're already focusing at in a game like Siege. The aforementioned low ready style of aiming negates the effect of the gun obscuring below the sights, although it's pretty rare that you'll be shot from below anyways. It works for some, doesn't for many. Most people will be used to a traditional video game crosshair, I'm more used to playing spergy games without crosshairs. It boils down to personal preference.

There are some sights that are better about not loving with your periphery too much, most of the Russian sights are good at this from what I recall, but rather than trying to mix and match sights I just stick to what I'm used to and keep things consistent.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I basically run acog if available otherwise the reflex. I find the green triangle helps me way more than the red dot or the Hilo sights circle.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I find the acog makes me too passive, even though I'm more comfortable with it. It's definitely a sight with an objective utility though, whatever your personal preference.

Jehde posted:

I much prefer to have a little obfuscation close to where I'm aiming rather than any obfuscation on the periphery, much easier to manage multiple angles that way. It may seem unintuitive at first but peripheral vision is much more important than what you're already focusing at in a game like Siege. The aforementioned low ready style of aiming negates the effect of the gun obscuring below the sights, although it's pretty rare that you'll be shot from below anyways. It works for some, doesn't for many. Most people will be used to a traditional video game crosshair, I'm more used to playing spergy games without crosshairs. It boils down to personal preference.

There are some sights that are better about not loving with your periphery too much, most of the Russian sights are good at this from what I recall, but rather than trying to mix and match sights I just stick to what I'm used to and keep things consistent.

I guess I see your point, but don't you find reflex sights give you much the same effect? They really don't obscure much at all, especially now the triangle dot got changed to be tiny. I have had a few instances with a holosight where it definitely made me miss a guy 'cause I was aiming 2 feet above his head and the sight obscured him, but I haven't really had that with the others.

Also out of curiosity, what FOV do you play at? I had a huge period when I started playing where I was adjusting it back and forth- in most games I play at max, but in Siege I couldn't make out poo poo with it like that. Now mine's much more in the middle but I do wonder if it has a negative effect on how I play- most of my friends play on minimum I think.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Koramei posted:

I find the acog makes me too passive, even though I'm more comfortable with it. It's definitely a sight with an objective utility though, whatever your personal preference.

I guess I see your point, but don't you find reflex sights give you much the same effect? They really don't obscure much at all, especially now the triangle dot got changed to be tiny. I have had a few instances with a holosight where it definitely made me miss a guy 'cause I was aiming 2 feet above his head and the sight obscured him, but I haven't really had that with the others.

Also out of curiosity, what FOV do you play at? I had a huge period when I started playing where I was adjusting it back and forth- in most games I play at max, but in Siege I couldn't make out poo poo with it like that. Now mine's much more in the middle but I do wonder if it has a negative effect on how I play- most of my friends play on minimum I think.

ACOG just narrows your FOV, if you're comfortable with pixel sniping it's useless, not to mention the average range of engagement in Siege is like 10 metres.

It's not the actual reflex sight display that obfuscates poo poo, it's the housing that surrounds it. I'll be watching a teammate's cam and they'll be sighting down a hall or something with the side of their reflex sight obfuscating a doorway, only for them to get shot from it and then complain about netcode or something. Ofcourse it's easy enough to work around this in most situations by just shifting your aim a bit to accomodate another angle, but I find it much easier to manage a wide array of angles if my periphery is as clear as possible. I prefer to have the obfuscation pushed in closer around my point of aim since I'm already focusing there, but again it's just a different style of aiming that I'm used to.

For games like Siege my go to FOV is 90. That's for a 19:6 monitor, for now. I have the urge to get an ultrawide, gimme all dat FOV.

Btw the game I played the most hours in before Siege was Red Orchestra, which should explain a lot. I gather the majority of Siege players come from Counter-Strike, where crosshair placement is super important.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jehde posted:

not to mention the average range of engagement in Siege is like 10 metres.

This is probably where most of our disagreement is coming from, because this is not at all the average range of engagement for me. I agree peripheral vision is more important at those ranges. I am my group's resident thermite/hibana though so I might stay at longer ranges than is normal.

And yeah I was talking about the housing on sights. I'm not sure I've ever had an issue with it at all on the reflex, it's super tiny, maybe smaller than some ironsights even. The obstruction issue you're talking about only happens with the other three sights in my experience.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I usually play a pointman role. And yeah some sights are relatively fine but I'm already used to iron sight aiming so I just stick to it.

tl;dr of this whole convo: I'm a weirdo and I like it that way.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah whatever floats your boat. I like the red dot sight the most. But I've been a cheap rear end and I don't have it on a ton of guns

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I generally just put an ACOG on anything that has one then a holo on anything else, but I think a lot of it is personal preference. But gently caress the red dot sight either triangle, that thing sucks even after hey made it smaller.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did anyone post this yet? If so, watch it again. Bask in it.

https://gfycat.com/ThickRemorsefulAngora

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Amazing! Mission complete. That right there is why you're the best, Boss.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
So I don't generally roam, choosing to mostly hunker down near the objective. I decided I'd give it a shot in a casual match, not taking it very seriously and took Smoke. Killed 4/5 of the enemy team all at the same as they rushed the same door.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It must be nice to play with the deaf

Bilal posted:

Amazing! Mission complete. That right there is why you're the best, Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38M5t2MaOwg&t=395s

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 1, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Nickname Pending posted:

So I don't generally roam, choosing to mostly hunker down near the objective. I decided I'd give it a shot in a casual match, not taking it very seriously and took Smoke. Killed 4/5 of the enemy team all at the same as they rushed the same door.

camp the favela weed room for extra lols even if it isn't near the objective you'll likely get at least one kill per round

:350:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hey Hard, make it so that I can put an ACOG on Smoke's SMG. Just me though, no one else. Thanks.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Tried a couple rounds with irons on some of IQs guns for some challenges.

Peripheral vision is good, but the fact that the rear sight aperture doesn't A) line up with the front sight post to correct scale and B) seems to take longer to ADS is a non-starter for me. I think the trick with irons is to only pay attention to just the front sight post. Suppressors on assault rifles and SMGs seem workable, but on IQs machinegun (HK21 I think) it's useless and the compensator works best for me (since I usually play on kratom and get very jumpy). The triangle dot (Trijicon RMR analogue) seems to be the "best" RDS (besides the Russian one) because its housing takes up the least amount of screen real estate.

Also most the time I get killed it's because I simply don't see someone in a room. Any tricks beyond gamma adjustment?

The stats for guns seem to lie to me or something.

Also I love using the Makarov in this game even though it's completely unrealistic. Makes me want to glow-in-the-dark paint my Mak IRL

Medlar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 1, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Medlar posted:

Also most the time I get killed it's because I simply don't see someone in a room. Any tricks beyond gamma adjustment?

Every graphic settings at low, LOD at max.

Welcome to Pro-land.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is that weed skin for sale or was it a challenge skin I missed?

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

Hard posted:

Every graphic settings at low, LOD at max.

Welcome to Pro-land.

I was afraid of that. This $2000 laptop and Hi-Res texture pack was so worth it.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I had never used Glaz or Pulse before and didn't really have the intention to. But I tried them last night and actually had fun. I dominated with them and carried my team multiple matches.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Medlar posted:

Oh man I have to remind myself to upload the clip I have of shooting a dude and my whole team saying they didn't even see him. He was clearly right there!

You kind of just learn where people like to be, don't be afraid to put rounds into spots before you actually see anybody.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Nickname Pending posted:

I had never used Glaz or Pulse before and didn't really have the intention to. But I tried them last night and actually had fun. I dominated with them and carried my team multiple matches.

glaz is amazing all around. put that russian reflex sight on him and you can play him as aggressively as any other operator. he can bust walls open from great distances at the cost of a few bullets and you can even assist your teammates this way giving them fresh killholes as they try to find a way into the objective.

you can also treat his sniper rifle like a shotgun and run around like in the original call of duty TDM games and just hipshoot people to death in 1-2 hits which actually lets you take advantage of his claymore/smoke grenades

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is that weed skin for sale or was it a challenge skin I missed?

they're just a few normal skins i unlocked with renown.

you should be able to find them all if you click Operators > Smoke > Loadout/Uniform/Headgear

sometimes they hide some cool skins in other menus and bury them under subcatagories. i don't know if this is intentional or not but you can find some cool stuff if you dig around like a valkyrie mask that looks like the badguy from Saw

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The jigsaw mask is not cool

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Medlar posted:

I was afraid of that. This $2000 laptop and Hi-Res texture pack was so worth it.

Yeah welcome to the club but the same can be said with any competitive MP shooters on PC.

Beast rig is always nice to have for any other genre though :gbsmith:

Theres quite a few things that you can set at ultra that won't prevent you from seeing what's in front of you it's just that people tend to disable everything to get the max FPS.

e: but if you wanna be a real tryhard check Para's settings in the vid from a few pages back. https://streamable.com/kb889

cinci zoo sniper posted:

$2000 laptop for games is money well trashed.

How about people do whatever they want with their money? Well in my case your money is my money but you know what i mean.

Hard fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 1, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medlar posted:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The jigsaw mask is not cool

i personally prefer the furiosa one but the jigsaw thing is pretty funny given her ability is to spy on ppl getting killed

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I have a $2000 laptop for games and it's dope as gently caress actually

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you're not my real father

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Eat the rich and their laptops with 45 minute battery life

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Duggler posted:

Eat the rich and their laptops with 45 minute battery life
Good news, it is difficult to run with 10 kilogram laptop on your back.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I feel like most $2000 gaming laptop owners don't run much to begin with.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You're right, I'm too luxurious to be in a hurry. I walk everywhere.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can i play ranked again or is it still hosed?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I hope the Doc elite skin is dope, if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Has Hard fixed his game yet?

• Locked thread